Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We are getting a lot of mileage out of those “onesie dresses” or whatever you call them. They’re like a long-sleeved shirt that goes down all the way past the baby’s ankles. They have been more forgiving than snap-up onesies as she outgrows her newborn clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
^^^
The name we find them when shopping online is “gown”. We like those too, and baby likes to sleep in them because she is always too warm.

They are really hard to find in stores here, I always have to buy them online.

Hi_Bears posted:

An average size baby can wear newborn size for a few weeks so 3-6mo clothes would be huge on them. You can skip newborn and cuff 0-3mo but I wouldn’t skip 0-3mo altogether. Do yourself a favor and just get zipper footed pajamas, that’s all they need for the first few months. How many depends on how fast they grow and how often they spit up. My monster baby has outgrown 4 sizes in 3 months but we still have at least 5-6 pjs in each size because he can easily soil that many in one day between spit up and blowouts. I do laundry daily.

Seconding just getting sleep n plays. Seriously. We got so much clothing from the baby shower that we never used because we found Cloud Island brand sleep n plays to be the easiest, most awesome clothing. That brand zips backwards so when changing you unzip from the bottom.

Baby clothes are super cute and everything but we can’t be bothered to put all this outrageous stuff on her that she’s going to spit up on anyway! Plus a good pajama or sleep in play will have built in mittens.

The few times I’ve put a real “outfit” on her it was highly annoying to take pants off then unbutton a onesie .... it’s lazy but laundry is extremely easy when you’re not having to match up outfits and socks.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I liked to have a 3- or 5- pack of those Carter's onesies in each size. They're cheap and durable and easy to throw in a diaper bag. They have long sleeve or short sleeve, depending on what you anticipate weather will be like when baby shows up.

I had 2-3 gowns in each size from newborn to 3-6, and then preferred footless pajamas (and socks if it was cold). Footie pajamas never seemed to fit my kid proportions correctly. They'd spend weeks with the feet too long, a day with the feet perfect, and then too tight and outgrown in the legs the next day. I feel like you get more mileage out of the footless ones in that respect.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
At maximum vomit/droolage/poo blowouts with my eldest we were cycling through ~3-4 bibs a day and at least two outfit changes a day, with cloth nappies. Second one blows out easily twice as often with disposables and on a really poopy day (who said breastfed babies go longer between poos?! Imma twist their ear) I've changed her five times before. Disposables suck for keeping poo from spraying up the back on my chonk of a five month old baby, ugh. With cloth I could snap the waist tighter than I can with these things.

So if you have 3-5 outfits per day and wash every second day you only really need 10 max per size category I'd say, and that's pretty generous. We have a stash of about 15 bibs, unlikely to need more than that but teething=drool like you wouldn't believe so it's not going to hurt if you have more.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Koivunen posted:

I’m barely into my third trimester and was having significant hip pain, especially while trying to sleep. I have a giant pregnancy pillow and an SI belt when I’m up but I was still waking up every hour or two needing to roll over, and couldn’t stay in bed for more than six hours because the pain got too bad. I remembered reading about memory foam mattress toppers in this thread so I splurged and got one. It is night two with it and it’s made a huge difference.

I am so glad this helped, it was literally the only way I survived the final 15 weeks sleep-wise. All the pregnancy pillows in the world did nothing for me.

BadSamaritan posted:

Does anyone have recommendations as to how much newborn/0-3 month clothing to get? We’re planning on doing mostly cloth diapers so I’m relegating myself to the laundry life, but like... how many clothes do babies go through daily/weekly? Assuming (ha) an average sized baby, can I mostly get away with cuffing 3-6mo stuff?

Entering the third trimester is making me face the fact that I basically know nothing about day-to-day baby care, other than people are trying to sell me everything.

I had a humongous 10lb 4oz baby so we went straight to 0-3 months. We had probably like 5-6 outfits, cycling through about 2 a day because of spit ups. Now that he's 11 weeks old we are down to 1-2 each day, and he has a pair of pyjamas he wears at night. One thing to note is that the bigger bum on the cloth nappies means you might have to upsize a bit earlier - also the combo of long baby + added bulk of cloth nappies means we don't get as much wear out of footed onesies so tend to go for footless ones as well.

Oh and bibs. We started with 3 little bandana ones but they would get gross real fast, bought 3 proper ones and then made the objective decision that bibs were one item of clothing we would be happy to have too many of. We now have 9 and it seriously cut down on the amount of clothing changing going on.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 3, 2019

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

Entering the third trimester is making me face the fact that I basically know nothing about day-to-day baby care, other than people are trying to sell me everything.

Oh god, this.

Sort of piggybacking on this topic, how much of other fabric consumables (sorry, not sure what term is appropriate for this) do we need for a newborn? I'm talking burp cloths, swaddlers, and other miscellaneous baby cloth paraphernalia. How much of this is actually necessary and how much is sweet sweet capitalism?

My weekly email told me that I should have gotten a carseat in the second trimester and welp. I'm 32 weeks and trying not to panic but poo poo gently caress time to go forth and spend money, I guess

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
I've got about two dozen terry face washer size cloths (if not more, haven't actually ever counted them all but I never run out and do laundry every third day) which are handy for literally everything- soak with water for bum wipes if you're using cloth nappies, wipe up vomit, soak up contralateral milk letdown/leaks, wipe messy toddler hands and face, general bathing, etc. Maybe only need 2-3 large cotton swaddles at most, we had a couple baby rugs/blankets to chuck on the floor or in the pram too for baby to lay on or under. 2-3 waterproof covers/brollysheets for bed/crib for nighttime breast milk leaks/vomit/poo/wee. A stash of dark towels that you don't care about staining was invaluable for postpartum bleeding, and I still use them for change mats folded up.

I found cotton swaddles generally too big for burp cloths unless you folded them up- old school usage of those included folding over many times as a cloth nappy so if you've got a bunch they probably would get used. I tended to use my cloth nappy terrytowel squares as burp cloths and/or generic thick absorbent microfibre towels that Costco happened to sell in a bulk pack for car cleaning or some such. We usually keep one in the nappy bag for wiping down wet slides/swings at the playground since it rains like 200+ days a year where we live. To be fair though I don't worry anymore about burping my kids since about three or so months old--and even before then it's more just waiting for the inevitable posset before setting them down. They were both breastfed/being breastfed and not particularly gassy. I'm pretty laid-back about these things though.

People keep pegging those muslin swaddle cloths over their prams and you probably shouldn't use them for that--without ventilation it doesn't take a pram long to heat up fast in hot weather--at most I'd cover their legs if the canopy wasn't enough to keep the sun off their legs.

Overall I'm not sure how expensive using 10 billion disposable wipes would be compared to washing our stash of 20-30 little terry squares so up to you really. One is slightly less landfill/compost I guess, but you'd get years of use out of a few dozen terry squares. Easy enough to make out of cut up old towels if you have an edger on a sewing machine, but places like Aldi sometimes have them on special bulk buy.

My kids bums were have always been sensitive to whatever liquid it is they put in disposable wet wipes regardless of brand/type so if I use them I'm in the habit of rinsing out the soap first and then they're also warm on the bum too. Hence my general lack of interest in over much use of disposable wipes. Unless it's toddler solids poops. That poo poo is Satan's work :smithicide:

nyerf fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 3, 2019

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tamarillo posted:

I had a humongous 10lb 4oz baby so we went straight to 0-3 months. We had probably like 5-6 outfits, cycling through about 2 a day because of spit ups. Now that he's 11 weeks old we are down to 1-2 each day, and he has a pair of pyjamas he wears at night. One thing to note is that the bigger bum on the cloth nappies means you might have to upsize a bit earlier - also the combo of long baby + added bulk of cloth nappies means we don't get as much wear out of footed onesies so tend to go for footless ones as well.

On the other end, ours was 6lb 11oz and is still fitting newborn clothes at 2 months and just over 9lbs (small but on her curve). 2 a day is about right where we are, rarely 1 and sometimes as many as 4 before we got the hang of diaper changes that didn't involve her peeing all over her outfit. We're in awe of people able to birth babies her size now though, let alone another pound or two as some people seem to.

Does anyone else's babies just seem to hate hats? Every time we've put one on from like 1 week old, she just cries until we take it off. Every trip outside with a warm hat starts with crying until the car gets rolling.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

baquerd posted:

Does anyone else's babies just seem to hate hats? Every time we've put one on from like 1 week old, she just cries until we take it off. Every trip outside with a warm hat starts with crying until the car gets rolling.

Mine doesn’t like them either. She doesn’t cry but in the car seat she rubs her head around until it’s off.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

My four year old still doesn't like hats or hoods.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Contrary to everyone else, my son very rarely spit up or had blowouts so we had a ton of burp cloths/bibs/bandanas that we never used, and almost never had to change outfits throughout the day. Still, he was born in June so I never bothered putting anything more than a short-sleeved onesie on him the first few months because he really didn’t need pants or shorts and we only used long sleeves for sleeping.
Oh and he hated being swaddled too so we had a bunch of those Velcro easy-swaddles that never got used either. It all depends on your kid really.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We always had extra cloth diapers and the smaller flannel blankets you can get. They are super useful to catching various bodily things such as either a super wet burp or to put under then during naked time or when changing a diaper. I do recommend getting some of the water proof flannel pads for using in various places too. They are useful up until your child no longer vomits in their bed if they are sick.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You're likely to be gifted bibs. They can wait until babby is born.
Both our girls got chaffed by wipes easily so they just got a bath/shower every time they pooped at home (sometimes 3-4 times a day). Buttwipes have been more useful for sticky hands and faces at the park.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 3, 2019

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
For those of you that can't use or don't like wipes:
Those 5,000 recieving blankets you got gifted that you're never gonna use again after the third month can be cut up and repurposed as butt cloths! They don't unravel as bad because of the material and rewash super easy.
With my kids I would have two "going out" outfits and a bunch of onesies/footies (depending on the season) for at home because why dress a kid up just so they can poo poo all up the back of it?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I can’t seem to find an answer for this on google. How should one safely store breast milk that is pumped in the middle of the night, assuming you don’t want to walk all the way downstairs to put it in the freezer? Is it ok to leave at room temp or in a cooler for a while, then put it in the freezer when you get up for the day?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Koivunen posted:

I can’t seem to find an answer for this on google. How should one safely store breast milk that is pumped in the middle of the night, assuming you don’t want to walk all the way downstairs to put it in the freezer? Is it ok to leave at room temp or in a cooler for a while, then put it in the freezer when you get up for the day?

Our nurse said it can keep at room temperature for up to a day but this article I just googled says six hours

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/breast-milk-storage/art-20046350

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Our nurse said to use the "666 rule" :devil: of no more than 6 hours at room temp, 6 days in the fridge, 6 months frozen. But she also said, "it's just milk, you can smell it like you normally would to see if it's gone bad."

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Thank you thread. I’m not sure if I posted but we had twin boys coming. Reading this thread helped me get over the shock and work through that future.

I dont have good news. They just died at 19.4 weeks from pre-clampsie. My wife lost 2 liters of blood but is going to be in recovery soon. We’re shattered.

However we still have a wounderful healthy baby boy of 19 months and can and will keep going. I could talk for hours but phone posting makes it hard.

I hope everyone else works out and dont go thorough this either.

This thread does help. Thank you everyone.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry to hear that :-( You have my deepest condolences.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Sincerest condolences.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I wish there were a better way to express via forums post how sorry I am to hear you guys are going through that trauma. Take care of yourselves.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m so sorry for your losses. I hope your wife’s recovery goes smoothly.

If the hospital offers a support group or social worker, I’d recommend trying it out. Ours was more helpful than I realized at the time. My sincere condolences.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:(

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
About the “hemorrhoid talk ITT”... My butt is making me miserable. I have prescription hydrocortisone and lidocaine cream. I’ve been doing sitz baths with epsom salt. I’ve got Tucks pads that I use for wiping post-poop. I’m trying to spend as much inactive time as possible on my side instead of sitting. I use ice every now and then. I’m avoiding heavy lifting. With my midwife’s blessing I’m taking Colace once a day. I’ve dropped like $80 on all this butt stuff.

The moment I squat, bend over for too long, lift something a little too heavy, or poop, all the TLC goes out the window. After a shift at work I’m hurting, and after several shifts in a row I can hardly walk without pain because the hemorrhoids balloon up to a ridiculous size. My coworkers have said my pregnancy waddle is cute, but little do they know it’s because I’ve got a cluster of painful grapes between my cheeks.

I’m not overweight, I drink tons of water, I’ve upped my fiber foods, and I’m doing all the stuff above. I’ve been carrying really low the entire pregnancy. I still have seven weeks to go and I don’t know how I’m going to be able to work up to delivery, especially since my baby is going to keep getting heavier. Am I missing anything else I could be doing?

Also, the sitz bath seems a little counter intuitive since sitting with the bath basin on the toilet puts a ton of pressure on the rectum. It feels nice but there’s definitely lots of pressure. Am I doing it wrong?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Baby Update: Little Ham is 2 months old yesterday. Things have been a whirlwind! We moved in with my folks and sister (they have a gigantic house and are finishing the basement for my family.) Ham went from not crying at all (basically for about the first 10 days of life he never cried at all) to crying so much that my Wife and I thought we would go crazy. He was a horrible sleeper, would wake up every 90 minutes or so, cry for an hour straight, fuss, eat, go back to sleep, only to repeat the whole process later, he did this for about 2 or 3 weeks straight and it was the worst.

During this time my Mom has a friend who is a "baby massage expert", I have to admit that I thought this was total bollocks, but lo and behold Baby massage turned him from a crying baby who couldn't sleep, to a perfectly happy baby who loves to sleep and actually goes back to sleep fast! I can't say that massage is the sole reason for it, it could just be he got used to a day / night cycle.

We are doing tummy time with him, he's super alert during the day, and his neck strength is pretty impressive. He's only 2 months but during tummy time he's able to wiggle and move quite a bit. I love him so much.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Koivunen posted:

I’ve got a cluster of painful grapes between my cheeks.

No answers for you but we are around the same point along and my heart goes out to you! Hope you find some relief soon.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
I know how awful that poo poo is. With my first I had horrible hemorrhoids. I remember having to sneak off to the bathroom at work just to secretly cry and say some bad words because I was in so much pain.

Don't despair though, it won't necessarily only get worse from here. I had a lot of relief actually as the baby got bigger because as she got heavier, she moved down and the pressure moved, which made a big difference.

Also, the lidocaine cream didn't do much for me but I finally got this cream with dibucaine that was a true miracle. It not only helped with pain but actually made everything shrink back a little as well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Koivunen posted:

I still have seven weeks to go and I don’t know how I’m going to be able to work up to delivery, especially since my baby is going to keep getting heavier. Am I missing anything else I could be doing?

It's ok to give up and not work up to delivery.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Public Serpent posted:

I know how awful that poo poo is. With my first I had horrible hemorrhoids. I remember having to sneak off to the bathroom at work just to secretly cry and say some bad words because I was in so much pain.

Don't despair though, it won't necessarily only get worse from here. I had a lot of relief actually as the baby got bigger because as she got heavier, she moved down and the pressure moved, which made a big difference.

Also, the lidocaine cream didn't do much for me but I finally got this cream with dibucaine that was a true miracle. It not only helped with pain but actually made everything shrink back a little as well.

Did you have hemorrhoids with your other pregnancies? We definitely want more than one kid and it would be nice to think there’s a chance this wouldn’t happen the next time around. Glad to hear you had some improvement as you got further along, I hope that happens for me too. The baby has been crunched low in my pelvis for the last few weeks. The midwife commented on the odd position, but at least it’s head down. Will ask about dibucaine at my next appointment.

I think I’m done with sitz baths using the toilet basin, it feels like it’s making things worse. I can definitely see how it will feel nice after delivery, though.

Will just play things by ear as far as when I decide to start my FMLA. I want to maximize the amount of time I have home with our new family so ideally I would like to wait until I go into labor, but if I’m absolutely miserable I’m not going to push it. Did anyone here start their leave early? How did you decide when to start?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Not in the states but I finished study for the year 11 days before I gave birth. I wouldn't have wanted to be committed to any work any later than that to be honest. It was a question of physical discomfort I.e. it was too hard to bend over to write notes (computer was okay) and also just mental energy - I was tired and not sleeping well with a massively long baby stretched right into my ribcage and just over needing to mentally apply myself. I had a good few days there to just chill out.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My job doesn't give "leave," just lets you reduce hours or quit when you need to, with an assumption that you'll come back in 1-3 years. It's kindergarten ages 3-6 so my bosses are very understanding of the babby cycle and priortizing family.

Sorry to everyone employed in all-or-nothing industries.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's not all or nothing industries..it's what having a baby if you live in the US is like. In the US if you take time off before the baby is born it counts toward your already very limited time off you get total for having a baby.
I had my baby on a Sunday. I work a m-f job so I worked my whole day that Friday before. Was planning on heading to work on Monday until I went into labor Sunday.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I work at the hospital that I'm planning to deliver at, so best case scenario I just go right upstairs to L&D from work when I have to. US leave is hosed up.

The funny part is that I still have about 8 weeks to go, but my productivity is currently in the tank- and I don't even have a physically demanding job. We should get leave towards the end of our pregnancies that don't take away from the sliver of protected time with our new family because lets face it, it's not like I'm doing quality work right now.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I almost had to quit because I suddenly had to be induced for preeclampsia. The last thing my HR told me prior to that was I didn’t qualify for FMLA and I would have to ask the director for leave without pay.

So I end up in the hospital on a Thursday afternoon and on Saturday morning I finally have a baby. After we get settled I call my supervisor and let her know and I told her I would be in as soon as I can to request approval for leave without pay. That ends up being on a Wednesday. At this point I’m being charged all my PTO and sick leave. Before I go into work I stop by the doctor and have her fill out FMLA paperwork. The worst they can say is no, so might as well ask. I turned that into HR and go see my own management. Who inform me that having a baby doesn’t qualify me for leave without pay. What I have saved up is more than enough time to physically recover (it was 2 weeks) and I need to back to work on the following Monday. I was also informed that it only takes 24-48 hours to fully recover from birth.

My FMLA was approved. And I’m in a union, which has bargained the 6 weeks to 16. Hooray! I don’t have to quit to bond with my baby and take care of her.

Oh but wait - the supervisor talks to me the Friday before the first six weeks is up and tells me that I have to return to work Monday. I call HR. It’s Friday so there’s no answer. I get in my car and drive 30 minutes to chew someone out. That person is confused as hell because like the paperwork the supervisor sent me — I have 16 weeks. And he tells me he told her that on the phone that day. He assured me I have 10 more weeks. I went back home. On the way she called to tell me the great news: that I have 10 more weeks. :rolleyes:

Having a baby in the US is great.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
I am approved for twelve weeks off which starts the day I decide to start my leave. After the three months I lose my health insurance and benefits unless I go back to work. My position will be held for an additional three months, so I’m going to try to take the entire six months off (it is very uncommon to get “so much” time off). We will try to get on state insurance temporarily but if that falls through I may have to go back before I lose my insurance, since I carry the plan for the family. None of my leave will have any kind of pay, and I will still have to pay my share of insurance cost and union dues, plus whatever the cost of delivery ends up being.

My husband has decided to take three months of leave as well, none of which is paid. I actually don’t personally know anyone whose partner has taken the full three months of FMLA before, in fact the longest I can think of was two weeks. I’m so glad that he wanted it, he was able to get it, and that we’ve been saving up long enough that we can afford it.

E: I could go on a huge tirade about how awful it is to have a baby in the US of A but I digress. What I have for leave is considered unusually good.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 4, 2019

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

Koivunen posted:

Did you have hemorrhoids with your other pregnancies? We definitely want more than one kid and it would be nice to think there’s a chance this wouldn’t happen the next time around. Glad to hear you had some improvement as you got further along, I hope that happens for me too. The baby has been crunched low in my pelvis for the last few weeks. The midwife commented on the odd position, but at least it’s head down. Will ask about dibucaine at my next appointment.

I actually didn't have it anywhere near as bad the next time! I never wanted to experience that poo poo again so I was super vigilant and got one of those squat stools for the toilet, applied cream as soon as I felt even slightly swollen etc. and I was way more comfortable (at least as far as hemorrhoids were concerned...)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ahh, insurance and benefits :( Death to America

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
My sister’s baby is five months old and she’s currently working five twelve-hour overnight shifts a week because her husband got sick a month after the baby arrived and hasn’t been able to work.

I worked twelves on the ICU until I went into labor. They had already cleaned out my FMLA, PTO, and sick leave for a workplace injury earlier in the year— yes, even workers comp kicks in AFTER they use up all your leave— and I had to beg for twelve weeks of unpaid leave. (They used up the twenty-four hours of leave I’d managed to accrue first.)

So, with no leave, no way to accrue leave while first-year-of-life baby issues required occasional absence, and the impending threat of losing my health insurance due to “uncovered absences,” I left my job and got another with onsite childcare (which costs nearly as much as my paycheck, but hey, the job has good insurance and I don’t have to end my career). My old job keeps calling and asking me to come back because they’re so short-staffed. Yeah, sure.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
After months of having what I thought was a baby butt sticking out from under my ribs, it turns out that it's a head (and maybe I should feel bad about gently shaking it to wake her because I hadn't felt kicks in a while? Nah). Anyone actually had any luck with external rotation of a breech baby? I'm probably going to be experiencing it sometime this week.

I just feel so disappointed, some hosed up part of me was looking forward to going through labor after spending so much time learning about it :( now my odds suck rear end and C-sections scare the poo poo out of me. Halp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
A close friend of mine had a successful external version. She said it was uncomfortable but felt worth it.

Maybe you should start reading up on C-sections too, just in case? Try not to think of it as a failure. It's still you giving birth to your child, just through a different opening.