Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

zedprime posted:

PE system is cool and good on paper but Grover was a PE.

Replying to a post from half a month ago, and Idk if this ever got mentioned, but iirc Grover was an Electrical PE who got licenses to approve his own "handiwork." Not, say, a Civil or Mechanical sort of PE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xelkelvos posted:

Replying to a post from half a month ago, and Idk if this ever got mentioned, but iirc Grover was an Electrical PE who got licenses to approve his own "handiwork." Not, say, a Civil or Mechanical sort of PE.

p sure he didn't have a pe and he didn't ever get licensed as a home inspector, though he did install a dumb amount of outlets. iirc he only actually ran afoul of code enforcement for something with his roof and something else minor with a utility service line or some such

the part you're thinking of came from the stuff other people were writing to mock him, which also included him dosing his wife with amphetamines

e: however since he was a contractor for some branch of the military, he claimed to have the authority of a colonel based on his payscale matching that

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 1, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
here's the thread if you'd like to read it

all the pics are broken though

fun fact: groverhaus was actually an extensive addition to the existing structure of their home

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
man it hosed me up when i saw kate wagner, the mcmansionhell lady, drop a groverhaus reference

http://mcmansionhell.com/post/179630788531/50-states-of-mcmansion-%E2%84%8C%F0%9D%94%A2%F0%9D%94%A9%F0%9D%94%A9-king-county

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

He's wearing a safety harness, what the gently caress more do you want

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Xelkelvos posted:

One of the downsides of the PE system is in more states than not your flavor of PE doesn't really matter. You can stamp whatever needs stamped and it's buyer beware to see if you actually know about the subject you want stamped. You're liable if you stamp bullshit, but well when has that stopped people.

I think he was more on the civil side and still used it to stamp his wiring.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

p sure he didn't have a pe and he didn't ever get licensed as a home inspector, though he did install a dumb amount of outlets. iirc he only actually ran afoul of code enforcement for something with his roof and something else minor with a utility service line or some such

the part you're thinking of came from the stuff other people were writing to mock him, which also included him dosing his wife with amphetamines

e: however since he was a contractor for some branch of the military, he claimed to have the authority of a colonel based on his payscale matching that
I'm not about to dig it up but I thought he had unrelatedly gotten his PE as a course of his contracting work and used it to stamp his wiring diagrams when the electrical inspectors were worried about his innovative plan to turn his wall as near he could into a bus bar.

The code inspectors don't really have more time than to see if the drawings are stamped when it comes to electrical so yeah, code is met, life goes on until he sells the house to someone who doesn't know the trick is that all the outlets are for vacuum access and not for static installations of electrical stuff and the wall catches on fire when the Xmas decorations go up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
e- he explained it better. ^

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bring back old gbs posted:

god drat did anybody see this on imgur today?? :stonk: not linking the video because a comment said the guy died but god drat. No gore, the center guy just gets shot into the ceiling when that hole he has his hand in explodes

From LiveLeak:
Worker gets shot like a cannon after a explosion
On the afternoon of May 3, Wang Moumou, deputy director of the hydrogenation workshop, arranged the operation of the No. 1 hydrogenation reactor. At 13:41, the manhole of No. 1 hydrogenator was opened. Wang then gradually opened the vacuum valve on the kettle three times, causing a large amount of air to be sucked into the No. 1 hydrogenation reactor to form an explosive mixed gas with the ethanol vapor in the kettle. Then Wang Mou went to the mouth of the kettle, and rinsed the paddles of the No. 1 hydrogenator and the residual catalyst on the wall. During the rinsing process, the No. 1 hydrogenation kettle flashed, and Wang Moumou was "bumped" by the explosion shock wave.

Wang Moumou violated the regulations. In the state where the manhole of No. 1 hydrogenator was opened, it was not filled with nitrogen gas protection, but the vacuum pump was turned on, causing a large amount of air to be sucked into the reaction vessel to form an explosive mixed gas with ethanol vapor, and the catalyst Raney nickel was exposed to air. Spontaneous combustion, causing flash explosion, is the direct cause of the accident

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
:10bux: says that he didn't use nitrogen because his boss was trying to save money.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002

New Rise of the Triad mulitplayer looking good!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It’s like the spooky incidental music from an episode of Hannibal

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jobson groeth posted:

:10bux: says that he didn't use nitrogen because his boss was trying to save money.

air is like 78% nitrogen anyway why should he have to pay for the other 22%?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmL2lVsoPRY&t=1s

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m going to another vintage machinery show today friends. Will post if something explodes and murders me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Kiss your limbs goodbye.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Beginning of this starts slow but soon they start showing the wonders of this new discovery asbestos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZReMAnky1Q

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

There’s a total fire ban so no steam engines running. No OSHA content today :saddowns:

They are hosing down the ground as it’s so hot and dry that burning dust was flying everywhere, so I guess that counts.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Parachute didn't open.

Bit late to the party but, to me It looks more like a vertical shear fracture. The front of the pelvis with its ligament has been torn off and the sacrum - the bit of spine just before the tailbone proper is sheared through. Lots of big blood vessels and nerves travelling through that area.

Edit oh and also, can definitely rip bladder/ rectum open if you stretch the soft tissues enough. Also any bone sticking out is a major infection risk.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 2, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Endman posted:

There’s a total fire ban so no steam engines running. No OSHA content today :saddowns:

They are hosing down the ground as it’s so hot and dry that burning dust was flying everywhere, so I guess that counts.
Don't worry, there's still a chance of some century-old hydraulics failing.

I love this Gun Jesus video of the infrastructure around a 100-ton black powder cannon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmi0PN7LxM

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
Malta is full of nice old things and you should go if you get the chance.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

As the say in Drop Dead Gorgeous, "It's...best with lots of butter."

The best lutefisk in the world tastes like absolutely nothing. It's like eating wet toilet paper.

The butter and salt helps. Best eaten with new potatoes and sour cream. Perhaps some tunnbröd and butter. Some pickled onions would be nice and potato salad wouldn't be turned away.

I was born in Norwegian country in ND and we did eat lutefisk here and there. But only at church suppers or at feeds. It doesn't taste great, but it goes down easy enough. You don't eat it because you like it. It's just a tradition in some parts. I've lived in ND and MN for 40 years and I've never even heard an elder say that they "like" lutefisk. It's just kind of a poisonous thing that their grandparents used to eat in the old country.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Okay, what's going on in Canada there?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kammat posted:

They're killing the rats.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kammat posted:

Rats are hella illegal in Alberta. Just Alberta though. You can't have a pet rat. You can't feed a live rat to your pet, if you have a snake or something you have to feed them imported frozen rats. I'm not sure if SCIENCE is allowed to use rats or if they have to use guinea pigs or whatever instead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We're going to build a wall, and the rats are going to pay for it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

Rats are hella illegal in Alberta. Just Alberta though. You can't have a pet rat. You can't feed a live rat to your pet, if you have a snake or something you have to feed them imported frozen rats. I'm not sure if SCIENCE is allowed to use rats or if they have to use guinea pigs or whatever instead.

I lived in Alberta for 20 years and never saw a rat. Lots of mice but never a rat.

Moved to Toronto and saw a rat in a subway station within four days.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think you can have rats for research purposes, but you need all sorts of permits and the like. There's control zones established along the borders where Rat Patrol Officers inspect buildings and kill rats on sight.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/All/com14443

They will loving burn your poo poo to the ground if it has an infestation.

A structure in Alberta suspected of rat infestation and subsequently burned down. Image courtesy of Phil Merrill

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how do the rats know to stop at the alberta border

e: well, that's fascinating. the specific rat they're controlling cannot survive the canadian winter outside of human habitats so burning down rat-infested houses in border areas is all you need to do. huh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Everyone should watch Joe Pera for a very thorough explanation of the Alberta rat thing

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The rat control zone is kind of weird though. In the 1950s they were primarily concerned with rats coming from the east, as the rat menace was coming from that direction as rats spread across the continent. So the rat control zone is along the western boarder.

But since then rats kept moving west everywhere else so they must have them in the Montana to the south, and I know we have wild rats in BC. Why no concern about vile Montana rats sneaking in? :iiam:

Verlay
Aug 5, 2010

Here's a fun one, my own workplace :froggonk:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Missed Alberta on the poster.

Now I'm imagining The Secret of NIMH 3: Destination Alberta

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Verlay posted:

Here's a fun one, my own workplace :froggonk:

Men's room?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I highly doubt that every single bit of wilderness in Alberta right up to its borders don't have any rats at all

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattleMaster posted:

I highly doubt that every single bit of wilderness in Alberta right up to its borders don't have any rats at all

Well, yeah, but it's not like every square mile outside that boarder is heavily infested either. That map just gives them something to feel smug about. Alberta doesn't have much else going for it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

It's more that the natural borders are conducive to preventing Norway Rat infestations in human areas from taking place. Up north is too cold for them to survive the winter, and the mountains to the west with the arid plains in the south form a pretty good natural barrier. They're an invasive species after all, it's just that other jurisdictions have given up and lost the war.

Verlay
Aug 5, 2010

Workroom / wood shop, we had a leak somewhere in the walls during the midwest's Polar Vortex and water had collected between some wooden cabinets and the drywall.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's more that the natural borders are conducive to preventing Norway Rat infestations in human areas from taking place. Up north is too cold for them to survive the winter, and the mountains to the west with the arid plains in the south form a pretty good natural barrier. They're an invasive species after all, it's just that other jurisdictions have given up and lost the war.

it's too cold for them and yet they apparently inhabit all of yukon

it's too cold for them and apparently they inhabit every square meter up to the west and north edges of saskatchewan, but see that alberta border and say "whoa no, i can't cross that I'm illegal there"

edit: it's more like alberta has absolutely nothing else to feel smug about so they have to pretend everyone else gave up on something and they didn't lmbo

edit 2: "*sees rat* oh I can't do anything about that because my province has given up on stopping rats" -what albertans actually believe

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sorry about your rat infestation.