Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Tunicate posted:

Vriska, personally, will be fine, because the retconned events conspired to give her unconditional immortality

immortality doesn't mean poo poo in homestuck

see: condy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vriska's is just as good as caliborn's

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Tunicate posted:

gently caress, that's airtight

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I literally don't remember Tavros doing anything, ever, besides being murdered by Vriska. When did this ghost army stuff happen? I thought that was Old Vriska and Meenah's jam.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bogart posted:

I literally don't remember Tavros doing anything, ever, besides being murdered by Vriska. When did this ghost army stuff happen? I thought that was Old Vriska and Meenah's jam.

Nah, ghost Meenah did gently caress all and Tavros gathered the army.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Tunicate posted:

That relies on the assumption that Spades Slick destroyed Vriska's clock out of instinct in an unseen event. We don't know how the clocks get around, nor which clocks are where. John's clock, which is also seen to be present in Scratch's study. Are we to assume, then, that John also has achieved unconditional immortality?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

That relies on the assumption that Spades Slick destroyed Vriska's clock out of instinct in an unseen event. We don't know how the clocks get around, nor which clocks are where. John's clock, which is also seen to be present in Scratch's study. Are we to assume, then, that John also has achieved unconditional immortality?

John's clock wasn't destroyed by Jack in the original timeline.

The assumption that a bunch of poo poo that wasn't causally related to the retcon suddenly happened offscreen to prevent Vriska from becoming immortal seems like more of a stretch.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

We literally saw Vriska's clock settle on just or whatever wtf is this anon talking about

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Kazy posted:

I can't believe Pokemon and Homestuck are having a crossover

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

We literally saw Vriska's clock settle on just or whatever wtf is this anon talking about

That happened in the original timeline.

He's referring to what happened with Slick in the retjohn timeline. In that version Vriska wasn't being judged at the moment Slick blew up her clock.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bogart posted:

Vriska admitted the fleet they gathered was all Aranea's power, and Aranea let Vriska claim the credit.

Which is weird considering in that same discussion Meenah declares that Aranea always tries to make things about her.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Clawtopsy posted:

Vriska admitted the fleet they gathered was all Aranea's power, and Aranea let Vriska claim the credit.

Which is weird considering in that same discussion Meenah declares that Aranea always tries to make things about her.

It's less weird when you consider the next phase of Aranea's plan.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Plom Bar posted:

It's less weird when you consider the next phase of Aranea's plan.

If I recall correctly, Meenah said it was pretty much chronic for Aranea - She was ALWAYS doing it. Up until the events that led to GAME OVER, Aranea had always been fairly content to not be the focii. I always just attributed Meenah's dialogue with regards to Aranea's limelight-theft to be a degree of bitterness over her poorly-treated friend's betrayal.

I don't think Aranea was planning her little scheme from the outset, I think it began to formulate when Meenah and Vriska high-fived behind her back.

e: I think that's a fairly critical character moment for Aranea, given how she and Meenah's relationship has worked in the past. Aranea is an empath who has complained on a few occassions about people being duplicitous or thinking poorly at her, but Meenah had always been upfront and honest (If rude and impolite) with the Serket. Then, Vriska comes along and 'replaces' Aranea in Meenah's life, and we have a scene where they are literally mocking her behind her back while she is fully aware of it.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 28, 2019

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Aranea is unique in Homestuck in that she has a really tight, well-written character arc and i sincerely hope she shows up in the epilogue to eat a whole pile of crow while Meenah goes "told ya so"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

Aranea is unique in Homestuck in that she has a really tight, well-written character arc and i sincerely hope she shows up in the epilogue to eat a whole pile of crow while Meenah goes "told ya so"

I agree

But I also hope Meenah gets called out on how bad a person/friend she is, too

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

I agree

But I also hope Meenah gets called out on how bad a person/friend she is, too

yeah meenah also has her own helping of crow to deal with

where aranea shines is that she is initially presented very blatantly as the "good serket" but then at the slightest provocation reminds the reader that yeah, this girl grew up to be mindfang in one iteration of reality

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I always like to think that the trolls all have very troll-y character arcs, e.g., Feferi who presumably has cool life powers, immediately dies and is never relevant again.

Tavros is a fun one because he's all set up for this amazing redemption arc, he has the Leadership aspect (Breath)... meanwhile, the rest of the story hammers home how important it is for characters to learn and grow, and not just rush through everything like in the lollipop juju scenario.

Which makes Tavros such a troll: He's a pathetic nerd who gets killed, and then suddenly shows up four thousand pages later with a huge ghost army that he evidently conjured all by himself through the power of leadership. All of this happens completely off-screen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neat. Now do Nepeta.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Her whole thing is shipping people but none of them ever came true and she died unloved by anyone

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

thanks alot assbag posted:

Her whole thing is shipping people but none of them ever came true and she died unloved by anyone

She was loved by Equius

Though as a friend

And it was Equius

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Ytlaya posted:

She was loved by Equius

Though as a friend

And it was Equius

Truely the greatest outcome anyone could ask or hope for.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i want to be gym bros with equius

i want him to whisper sweaty encouragement to me as i push for a PB

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

:smith:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

i cannot imagine Equius being capable of whispering

dude's inside voice sounds like a less-drunk Orson Welles trying to reach the cheap seats, as far as im concerned

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

He's gonna get you both banned when he tries to use a treadmill and accidentally runs faster than the speed of sound and the resulting shock-waves end up breaking all the equipment and destroying the building.

But that, honestly, is a small price to pay.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He's gonna get you both banned when he tries to use a treadmill and accidentally runs faster than the speed of sound and the resulting shock-waves end up breaking all the equipment and destroying the building.

that's what turned him blue

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

would the RUIN sound effect still appear

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

would the RUIN sound effect still appear

100%

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

actually, nepeta was deeply beloved by every single reader

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

poor sweet dear nepeta

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

paranoid randroid posted:

That Aranea's character arc was actually one of the rare examples of a tight, complete arc in the story is exactly why she shouldn't (and almost certainly won't) show up in any epilogue, she fulfilled a very specific story purpose and her development led her straight to that point.

Hussie badly needed an editor that the meandering update style of Homestuck simply didn't allow for, but the single simple rule that would've helped is "kill your darlings" - in this case, quite literally. If he'd had similar restraint with other characters as he had after killing Aranea, the story would be a lot cleaner and stronger for it, and people would be left wanting more of cool, tragic characters instead of lamenting all the forgotten, underused nobodies wandering around as loose ends.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dolash posted:

Hussie badly needed an editor that the meandering update style of Homestuck simply didn't allow for, but the single simple rule that would've helped is "kill your darlings" - in this case, quite literally. If he'd had similar restraint with other characters as he had after killing Aranea, the story would be a lot cleaner and stronger for it, and people would be left wanting more of cool, tragic characters instead of lamenting all the forgotten, underused nobodies wandering around as loose ends.

You know, I remember when the video of Aranea's plan came out and everyone died, I was actually quite looking forward to seeing where the story would go with just Roxy, Rose, Terezi, Dirk and John. After the initial shock wore off. It would have been a ballsy move to keep all those deaths.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

You know, I remember when the video of Aranea's plan came out and everyone died, I was actually quite looking forward to seeing where the story would go with just Roxy, Rose, Terezi, Dirk and John. After the initial shock wore off. It would have been a ballsy move to keep all those deaths.
It says a lot of Homestuck that after like, the third major character died in Game Over my reaction turned to a flat “Oh how is this all going to be undone.”

The answer was “derail Homestuck in the worst way possible.”

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Still someone who read it all after it was over, but I liked the retcon powers and how they undid all that stuff. I thought it was neat 'cause it makes sense that the only way to beat the guy who controls time itself is to literally retcon the universe.

I also knew there was a rosemarriage so that part knowing it'd be undone, but that's ok? Homestuck proved it wasn't the type of comic where death was permanent for its main cast waaaaay early on and it was consistent about that fact.

I also think there's a lot more to the repercussions of "yeah everyone came back but also everyone still experienced their friends dying". The people who came back aren't the same people who died. They def don't go enough into that idea though but it's certainly one even spookier than just outright loss.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Dolash posted:

That Aranea's character arc was actually one of the rare examples of a tight, complete arc in the story is exactly why she shouldn't (and almost certainly won't) show up in any epilogue, she fulfilled a very specific story purpose and her development led her straight to that point.

the fact that it would undermine the arc is exactly why hussie would bumble into doing it lol

That said, I would like Aranea to have a happy end. If even Eridan Rogers got a quasi-redemption moment, Aranea needs a mote of forgiveness, too. :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pants Donkey posted:

It says a lot of Homestuck that after like, the third major character died in Game Over my reaction turned to a flat “Oh how is this all going to be undone.”

The answer was “derail Homestuck in the worst way possible.”

The trollpocalypse was the point to stick to his guns and say "no, all these dead people are dead, they're out of the story completely." Keeping Tavros, Nepeta, Feferi, even Vriska around just offscreen, twiddling their thumbs, did too much to undermine the concept of death for very little ultimate payoff. If they'd stayed dead, having an eventual Game Over -> Retcon where a handful of survivors meet up with the same crew who'd just been killed off plus Vriska might've had some oomph.

Skip the pre-scratch trolls, skip all the alternate timeline and pre/post-retcon dead versions of characters lingering on waiting for their shot at relevance, save all that fire for the retcon itself and maybe it really works as intended.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Still quietly burnin a candle for the 10-year old timeline, where trolls would have likely never been as big of a thing, the story ended early and cleanly, and lovely romance slop wouldn’t have reared its head until near the end already if at all

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I saw someone at the grocery store wearing a homestuck aspect hoodie. I would have said hi but I wasn't sure if it actually was (I checked when I got home, it was void), and also I'm a 35 year old creepy dude and it would have been weird.

Thanks for listening to my story, dead thread for a bad comic.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Bowman came out with a new album recently.
https://bowman.bandcamp.com/album/look-on-my-works-ye-mighty-and-despair
It is definitely worth a listen. Also comes with a music video
https://youtu.be/TGQn4ZUgHa4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Isn't Bowman a creep now tho