Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
We got the pokerap out of it, and the movie gave tons of kids Vacation by Vitamin C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
https://twitter.com/thotcelot/status/1100930161975877632

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Flopsy posted:

Okay folks new thread might as well do this now.

ATTENTION FELLOW BOARD GOERS!!!!!!!!

Three Arceus' one shiny and two standard

FC: 5129-5306-3661

IGN: Kane
Ages ago since I didn't spot the new thread till now, but you still have one of them gods?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Serious opinions itt about a lovely cartoon show made to promote a trend that was even notoriously lovely among said lovely genre

Insanely cool posting, friend

(Why even care that much about people talking about the pokemon anime in this, the pokemon thread? just chill out?)

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Pokemon is cool and good and a place to make friends.

https://twitter.com/Mameeekueya/status/1101083911025618944

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waffles Inc. posted:

(Why even care that much about people talking about the pokemon anime in this, the pokemon thread? just chill out?)

It’s super important to me that everyone knows that I do not care about thing.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Actually, while the Pokemon anime has noticeable varying degrees of quality depending on the generation/season (DP, XY, and the current SM series are especially strong, others not as much), the original series is fun as heck as a silly gag cartoon if you don't take them very seriously and also watch them in Japanese. The filler episodes between the sixth and seventh gyms are kinda weak though...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, the original dub is not good. It's very bad. The Pokemon 4Kids dub was fine back in the day when I was 11 or 12 and every 90s cartoon I watched had annoyingly wacky, corny humor and jelly donuts. It was part of that era of dubbing anime in the most easily marketable goofy way to kids... but uh I don't know if anyone's watched the original Pokemon dub as an adult. The random rear end cornball humor thrown in every second, totally amateur lack of competent voice direction, any nuance, silence, or subtlety removed from the script, lazy rear end evisceration of Japanese culture references, and the honestly lovely voice acting quality itself makes it really tough to watch for more than an episode or two. I don't really understand the nostalgia for Team Rocket, Ash, Misty, any of their original dub performances, because they aren't talented or even particularly memorable except through rose-colored glasses from when you were 10 years old.

It's not even unique to Pokemon for the era either. Lots and lots of blatantly garbage anime dubs people have mass nostalgia for from those days like Digimon or Yu-gi-oh are just as trashy. Try watching Digimon Adventure in Japanese without the hilariously bad English dub and being like "Oh, this was actually really cool and emotional sometimes, not corny as balls."

Now Japanese Jessie and James is good as hell. I can see having nostalgia for how excellent and hilarious Megumi Hayashibara and Shinichiro Miki are in the original seasons. They're still amazing!!!

Dub being garbage notwithstanding, telling people to just watch something with subs instead is not a solution, especially for action-heavy shows. It's mad distracting having to keep my eyes glued to the bottom of the screen to see what the hell these idiots are even talking about. I hate it, and I hate subs. If I want to read dialog I'll go read a loving book.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Dub being garbage notwithstanding, telling people to just watch something with subs instead is not a solution, especially for action-heavy shows. It's mad distracting having to keep my eyes glued to the bottom of the screen to see what the hell these idiots are even talking about. I hate it, and I hate subs. If I want to read dialog I'll go read a loving book.
You aren't wrong, but if your native language isn't English you learn to get used to it enough that it honestly doesn't matter any more.

(Or like me pick up the language enough as a kid to not need the subs any more by the time you even get English in school :v: .)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

im very confused why that guy thinks pokemon was cashing in on a trend it basically started

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Okay making GBS threads on the non-Ultimate Muscle/Kirby 4Kids dubs I'm okay with but I will stand no bashing of the Digimon Adventure dub. That poo poo is a masterpiece.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having literally just started watching the show last week at almost 40 years old, I’m not sure I see what the hate is about? I have no nostalgia for it since I never previously watched it, but it’s basically every Saturday morning cartoon I saw as a kid. I had poo poo like thunder cats, silverhawks, MASK, the ghostbusters cartoon and my favorite: Voltron. This show back in the 80s would’ve fit right in with that stuff as a fun kids show and adventure, plus the bonus that it ties into the games. I don’t see any problems with it and while the characters, especially Ash so far, are way loving over the top, that’s par for the course for a Saturday morning cartoon. I said this before, but I really wish I hadn’t skipped out on the show when it first came on. Had I given it a chance I’d probably have loved it then too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chaosapiant posted:

I have no nostalgia for it since I never previously watched it, but it’s basically every Saturday morning cartoon I saw as a kid. I had poo poo like thunder cats, silverhawks, MASK, the ghostbusters cartoon and my favorite: Voltron.

I think that's the issue here. You grew up in the 80's where cartoons didn't even try to hide the fact that they were glorified toy commercials, so a 4kids dub would fit right in. I think a lot of us grew up in the 90's with shows like Reboot, Beast Wars, and Batman the Animated Series, where the shows were far less "hey buy these toys" and more "hey check out this engaging story and great characters."

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

TaurusOxford posted:

I think that's the issue here. You grew up in the 80's where cartoons didn't even try to hide the fact that they were glorified toy commercials, so a 4kids dub would fit right in. I think a lot of us grew up in the 90's with shows like Reboot, Beast Wars, and Batman the Animated Series, where the shows were far less "hey buy these toys" and more "hey check out this engaging story and great characters."

lol

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

transformers, known for not wanting to sell toys

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TaurusOxford posted:

I suppose that’s possible. When I grew up cartoons were just silly time wasters that allowed their parent to keep ignoring them so they could snort their lines. The 90s is when I noticed cartoons taking a more “adult” turn. Maybe late 80s. Adult oriented cartoons were more “fringe” poo poo until stuff like the Simpson’s started airing in the late 80s/early 90s. Then along comes poo poo like Beavis/Butthead, ren and stimpy as well as even the Saturday morning variety taking a more “serious” turn with poo poo like Batman the animated series. Funny fact: I never watched the animated series Batman either. But I saw the 89 film in theaters and loving loved it. I started watching the BAS earlier this year and I love that too. I missed out on a lot of poo poo, but now I have the advantage of coming back to it with fresh eyes and zero nostalgia.

So yea, from that angle, it’s hard for me to criticize the Pokémon cartoon because it reminds me of being 5 years old.

I’ve also said this fairly recently in the Pokémon thread: I totally missed out. I was just old enough to not give a poo poo about the show, card game, or video games when they were the hot new poo poo. I’d babysit my 7-8 year old cousins and they’d be sat in front of Pokémon and Spongebob for hours, along with their Gameboys if their parents were rich. I still I wished I’d been in on it then too, especially Red and Blue. Then at least I’d know what most of you are talking about instead of just breeding Pokémon because they look like kitty cats.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
As someone who hasn't seen the show since I was a kid, I'm mostly weirded out that they've stuck with Ash for so long instead of concluding his story and coming up with a new protagonist. I know it's shonen bullshit, but at the end of the day the Pokemon are the stars, so why even stick with this particular glorified Player Character?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

YaketySass posted:

As someone who hasn't seen the show since I was a kid, I'm mostly weirded out that they've stuck with Ash for so long instead of concluding his story and coming up with a new protagonist. I know it's shonen bullshit, but at the end of the day the Pokemon are the stars, so why even stick with this particular glorified Player Character?

because when you've been watching pokemon long enough to be tired of ash you've officially aged out of the target audience of the show

why throw away a lot of reusable merchandise assets by getting rid of ash when ash and some new guy would be equally new to a 5 year old just getting into pokemon?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chaosapiant posted:

Having literally just started watching the show last week at almost 40 years old, I’m not sure I see what the hate is about? I have no nostalgia for it since I never previously watched it, but it’s basically every Saturday morning cartoon I saw as a kid. I had poo poo like thunder cats, silverhawks, MASK, the ghostbusters cartoon and my favorite: Voltron. This show back in the 80s would’ve fit right in with that stuff as a fun kids show and adventure, plus the bonus that it ties into the games. I don’t see any problems with it and while the characters, especially Ash so far, are way loving over the top, that’s par for the course for a Saturday morning cartoon. I said this before, but I really wish I hadn’t skipped out on the show when it first came on. Had I given it a chance I’d probably have loved it then too.

Don't take the hate too seriously, it's just kind of fun to complain about things. The Pokemon cartoon is great if you're looking to watch a cute upbeat show about kids making friends with monsters and then having those monsters fight each other. There's no shame in enjoying something nice.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5kRW54Bbe4

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

E2M2 posted:

Looks like Lets Go Evee is gonna be $30 if you have a local Meijer.

https://weeklyad.meijer.com/flyers/...r_run_id=420274

:stare: might go with that. Also lol 400 Xbox One X Fallout 76 bundle... and a 75 dollar meijer gift card.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zedd posted:

Ages ago since I didn't spot the new thread till now, but you still have one of them gods?

Which God ya want? Shiny or standard? Hell take a couple others while you're at it.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 3, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Which God ya want? Hell take a couple.
Arceus ;)
My friend code is 3755 3177 4659
I'm currently working on a G6 game but I own UM so lemme know which gen it's coming from.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

YaketySass posted:

Because status quo is God. They're terrified a non Ash main character will lose viewership/money.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zedd posted:

Arceus ;)
My friend code is 3755 3177 4659
I'm currently working on a G6 game but I own UM so lemme know which gen it's coming from.

My main game is Moon so that's the one it'll be coming from. I'm going to take it you'd like the shiny Arceus? Just remember to send me coms mons like a ledyba or grubbin in exchange.

edit: Also I'm going to need an IGN please. I don't want to give your mon to the wrong person.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 3, 2019

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Flopsy posted:

My main game is Moon so that's the one it'll be coming from. I'm going to take it you'd like the shiny Arceus? Just remember to send me coms mons like a ledyba or grubbin in exchange.
I plugged in my UM copy and I'm online now.

Edit: My account is either Zedd, ZeddNL and my pokemon trainers are Zeddica, Tahani and Zabanya.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Nasgate posted:

We got the pokerap out of it, and the movie gave tons of kids Vacation by Vitamin C
The Pokérap eventually got removed from the Finnish dub because... I forget the exact details, but basically someone got the idea it was trying to sell toys to children. :monocle: The dubbed version of the rap translated "Gotta catch 'em all" to what basically means "collect them all", and IIRC that was actually the offending part that caused the ban.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zedd posted:

I plugged in my UM copy and I'm online now.

Edit: My account is either Zedd, ZeddNL and my pokemon trainers are Zeddica, Tahani and Zabanya.

Alright I've logged in. I'm in the plaza right now.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Alright I've logged in. I'm in the plaza right now.
Gave you a cute fat munchlax, thanks a lot! <3

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zedd posted:

Gave you a cute fat munchlax, thanks a lot! <3

No problem! Enjoy your new godly boi!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Johnny Joestar posted:

transformers, known for not wanting to sell toys

I think he means that yeah Batman tas and beast wars and etc absolutely tried to sell toys but they also told fairly decent stories that still hold up

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I think he means that yeah Batman tas and beast wars and etc absolutely tried to sell toys but they also told fairly decent stories that still hold up

Yeah, this.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Funky Valentine posted:

Okay making GBS threads on the non-Ultimate Muscle/Kirby 4Kids dubs I'm okay with but I will stand no bashing of the Digimon Adventure dub. That poo poo is a masterpiece.

The Digimon Adventure dub is literally the same thing as the 4Kids Pokemon dub with poorly timed corny jokes, often in place of silence or subtle moments, lots of weird, insulting choices in dumbing down Japanese cultural references, goofy stuff in rewriting characters to be more wacky, really generic music in place of the awesome battle themes and other memorable original Japanese tracks. I could keep going here. It's bad. Really bad, especially if you've seen the original Japanese version. Maybe you loved Digimon dubbed when you were 10 years old and forgot the trashy parts, but it aged very poorly just like Pokemon.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 3, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One of my favorite toy franchises as a kid was Robocop. And, if you’ve seen the original Robocop, you’d know that poo poo was never supposed to have kids watching it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is kinda hosed up that Ash has trashed multiple bikes and probably had paid back for none them.

Nurse Joy fixed Misty's bike, at least.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Attention!! Just received another wonder trade shiny! if anyone would like a shiny Xurkitree another has just become available!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Attention!! Just received another wonder trade shiny! if anyone would like a shiny Xurkitree another has just become available!

How do you constantly get so much stuff?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is kinda hosed up that Ash has trashed multiple bikes and probably had paid back for none them.

in the pokemon world a bike costs $1,000,000. you can't expect a ten year old to have that kind of scratch, especially in gen1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

How do you constantly get so much stuff?

I'm a heavy duty breeder, I have a finished pokedex an egg charm and a shiny charm. I also put all my breeding rejects on wonder trade so sometimes I put more than 200 breeding rejects on there a week. The combination nets me at least 5 to 10 shinies each week. Most of which I already have or don't want.

edit; Just received another shiny Mew! If anyone wants this guy let me know!

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 3, 2019