Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN posted:

love the taste of fascism

Snuffer's eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Servers are probably encourage to upsell it with a 'do you want to support our troops the guys fining you for moving violations?' and if you say no I want a good burger you get dagger stares from surrounding tables.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Everytime I read that I swear it's missing a fullstop. Going to the theatre less let's you save things that time won't devour? Wtf

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It has the dashes to denote a clause or whatever

But yeah, going to the theater less etc lets you save things time won't devour - your money.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Tom Guycot posted:

Um, excuse me, the term is "people of wealth".

I always thought TARP should've been called TANC-Temporary Assistance to Needy Corporations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mlmp08 posted:

One girl got caught taking bathroom breaks during class with a teacher who didn’t partake and there was a loving town hall hearing over whether to fine her or ban her from “market day” next go-around.

At first the teacher was kind of annoyed that we were like “whatever” and were going to give a verbal warning or fine the equivalent of a fake quarter. So the teacher amped up the dishonesty of it and watched the class start going full fash until at the end it was the teacher vetoing the absurdly harsh punishments and Scarlett Letter poo poo the class started endorsing.

It did not help that the class was probably 85% white and this girl was Indian American. Pretty sure her ending up in tears and her dad, a professor at Purdue University, flipping poo poo are part of what ended the whole thing early.

we were all dumb 5th graders and it’s not like I was the wise sage in the room, but the whole thing was not fun after that loving “hearing.” I think her dad reached out to other parents, because I got a lecture from my mom about what little cretins we collectively were to her that week.

wait where was this? i live in lafayette

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Trip report on making glasses that block cameras/computers from identifying your face:

1$ plastic safety glasses (the big clear squarish ones), 5$ reflective tape for a car (it's enough to make 20 of these glasses if you wanted to).

I cut the tape into strips that I stuck around the outside of the glasses, leaving a large portion of the middle clear (so I could see).

It actually works really well if the security camera is in nightvision mode and has it's ir lights turned on. It also probably blinds any camera in day, or night, that uses a flash from doing any facial recognition.

If you're not a doofus, like me, you could probably take your time and make something that doesn't look so ugly.

Soooooo it does work, and you don't have to spend 100 dollars on the ones they're selling on the internet.

Also, who was it that said they knew about corporations using facial recognition to track us in stores? When are they going to start this, and will it be tied to social media?

Shame Boy posted:

My company's not really involved with ~brand engagement~ or the marketing side of things at all, we just make stuff that helps salespeople sell things or order stuff from the warehouse or stuff like that :shrug: The only aspect of that we're really involved with is stuff like loyalty cards and rewards programs, and boy howdy do retailers ever want to do some creepy panopticon poo poo with those. We're not building anything like that (yet...) but we've been asked about it or how we could integrate with various providers quite a lot.

Like the ultimate goal is that you walk through the door, something identifies who you are (via the app you installed on your phone to get a discount telling them where you are, or facial recognition, or other increasingly more unrealistic options) and starts recording everything you do, every product you look at or select (or look at briefly and put back, because you must secretly want it!!!) and where you go in the store, tying it to a record of everything you've ever bought or even shown a passing interest in. Then you go up to the cash register and all that poo poo is pulled up on the register automatically along with recommendations of other stuff you'd like to buy or maybe a 5% discount on that thing you picked up and put back down, basically just what web stores do but in person and way creepier.

Luckily every system that purports to do this that I've actually seen pitched almost definitely doesn't work worth a drat in practice and relies heavily on you loving that this is happening and helping it out at every step

That's some creepy stuff.

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Mar 3, 2019

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this sounds very much like the classic George R R martin short story “sandkings”, whereby you become so drunk with power when you can control an army of small destructive little creatures

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jel Shaker posted:

this sounds very much like the classic George R R martin short story “sandkings”, whereby you become so drunk with power when you can control an army of small destructive little creatures

Yes we've all been paying attention the last two years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Woof Blitzer posted:

When times are tough we’ll all have to tighten our belts a little bit, and this teen is a great example of the American spirit of frugality!

Think of all the money he's going to save on buying shoes when they have to cut his feet off.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Jel Shaker posted:

is that the one where they get big and eat the guy controlling them

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Is that the kid who later died from not having enough insulin in his body or whatever?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
this morning i learned that in california, the poles that hold up traffic signals take 8+ months to be delivered after ordering

this is because there are only two companies in the entire state that produce these poles to caltrans specs, and they have an absolutely enormous backlog

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Jel Shaker posted:

The was turned into one of the best outer limits episodes in the 90s

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this morning i learned that in california, the poles that hold up traffic signals take 8+ months to be delivered after ordering

this is because there are only two companies in the entire state that produce these poles to caltrans specs, and they have an absolutely enormous backlog

that's a good grift

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
The escalator at my train station near work has been broken for 6 months and is projected to be broken for at least another 3 because no one makes the parts for it. I'm tired of the 3 story climb every afternoon but can handle it; I feel worse for the people with canes and bad legs that I see every day.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lancemantis posted:

that's a good grift

In a similar vein, my company is a sales rep for another company which produces almost all of the smog testing equipment in California, like 85% or more. Right now there is lead time of about five months on orders for the basic cabinet-style analyzer that most smog shops use.

There is no reason for it other than greed. Some background: They have a near monopoly. There is one other sad company barely eeking by with 15% or less of the market. Part of the problem is that passing state certification to make the equipment is not easy. The smog industry goes through a major update to equipment/methods/whatever mandated by the state every once in a long while, which happened last year (the last such update in California was in 1997). Prior to that there were five companies competing for business in California I think. Two straight up just dropped out with this update, and a third couldn't pass certification by the state.

The one we work with now has such a commanding lead that they don't give a gently caress. The only competitor has been reduced to a shell. Nobody else wants to even try to break into the market. They could easily order enough cabinet analyzers to fulfill every order in the state and have them delivered in 30 days. Instead, they're just waiting for shops with existing units to close so they be recycled into service with new shops, keeping new unit production to a bare minimum (smog shops open and close all the drat time, it's heavy turnover). I was literally sitting in the conference where this was discussed, and that is what was said. Meanwhile, a new shop opening up or anyone looking to expand their operation has to wait five months before they can do anything because it's cheaper to wait for recycle units than build new ones. This is because every unit is bundled with a service contract to the tune of about $500 per month. They get $500 every month from a customer whether they give them a new unit or deliver one that came from elsewhere. But a new one costs money to make, while a transfer is (almost) free. Of course as the sales reps, we get paid once. They literally call it "equipment as a service" and from someone used to hearing "games as live services" it really makes me lol.

Before you have to ask, the company is making BIG loving money in this market.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Assuming you're in the USA that sounds like an ADA violation to me.

e: re the escalator

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Moridin920 posted:

Assuming you're in the USA that sounds like an ADA violation to me.

e: re the escalator

There's probably an elevator but it is too slow to be useful such that even low mobility people opt for the stairs.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I just give up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Considering one of the first uses of the current wave of VR was virtual big tiddy anime babes jerking you off virtually while an awkward robot moves a fleshlight around, I'm guessing no.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Aidan_702 posted:

I just give up

quote:

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

ekuNNN posted:

That looks absolutely disgusting, and or if it's wild rice burgers.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Chomp8645 posted:

In a similar vein, my company is a sales rep for another company which produces almost all of the smog testing equipment in California, like 85% or more. Right now there is lead time of about five months on orders for the basic cabinet-style analyzer that most smog shops use.

There is no reason for it other than greed. Some background: They have a near monopoly. There is one other sad company barely eeking by with 15% or less of the market. Part of the problem is that passing state certification to make the equipment is not easy. The smog industry goes through a major update to equipment/methods/whatever mandated by the state every once in a long while, which happened last year (the last such update in California was in 1997). Prior to that there were five companies competing for business in California I think. Two straight up just dropped out with this update, and a third couldn't pass certification by the state.

The one we work with now has such a commanding lead that they don't give a gently caress. The only competitor has been reduced to a shell. Nobody else wants to even try to break into the market. They could easily order enough cabinet analyzers to fulfill every order in the state and have them delivered in 30 days. Instead, they're just waiting for shops with existing units to close so they be recycled into service with new shops, keeping new unit production to a bare minimum (smog shops open and close all the drat time, it's heavy turnover). I was literally sitting in the conference where this was discussed, and that is what was said. Meanwhile, a new shop opening up or anyone looking to expand their operation has to wait five months before they can do anything because it's cheaper to wait for recycle units than build new ones. This is because every unit is bundled with a service contract to the tune of about $500 per month. They get $500 every month from a customer whether they give them a new unit or deliver one that came from elsewhere. But a new one costs money to make, while a transfer is (almost) free. Of course as the sales reps, we get paid once. They literally call it "equipment as a service" and from someone used to hearing "games as live services" it really makes me lol.

Before you have to ask, the company is making BIG loving money in this market.

this same theory is in use for a lot of industries, including breathalyzers and poo poo like that

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Considering one of the first uses of the current wave of VR was virtual big tiddy anime babes jerking you off virtually while an awkward robot moves a fleshlight around, I'm guessing no.

I still get a kick out of the device I nicknamed "vaporware fuckham".

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

No.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

can't harass a lady if you're living in the tiddy matrix

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The answer is yes because once the anime titty-verse is fully realized no one will breed anymore so there won't be women left to harass or men to harass them.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is this headline false?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

Is this headline false?

No. It's a question.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

ekuNNN posted:

ask them if you can get the burger for 5% less so they don't make the donation

or just assemble the same burger toppings a la carte and pay more without donating

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

The answer is yes because once the anime titty-verse is fully realized no one will breed anymore so there won't be women left to harass or men to harass them.

Inshallah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Chomp8645 posted:

Dude, I'm only now watching Sense8, no spoilers.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

The escalator at my train station near work has been broken for 6 months and is projected to be broken for at least another 3 because no one makes the parts for it. I'm tired of the 3 story climb every afternoon but can handle it; I feel worse for the people with canes and bad legs that I see every day.

Why do you feel bad for them? They're the ones who hosed the system into what it is now simply by blindly, stupidly participating

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Elevators and escalators are loving hilariously broken industries. Since they're crazy expensive to install and maintain they're kept in service for as long as physically possible with as much maintenance deferred as legally allowable. By the time something finally gives out it's completely out of date and if it's a mechanical thing, the manufacturing/installing company no longer has the tooling to reproduce it. So the thing has to get sent away to some independent machine shop and remade from scratch. In the case of pistons for hydraulic elevators, this process can take like a half year. I think recently the two largest elevator companies merged, too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sjs00 posted:

Why do you feel bad for them? They're the ones who hosed the system into what it is now simply by blindly, stupidly participating

people with mobility issues did that? more so than people without injury or other disability?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Elevators and escalators are loving hilariously broken industries. Since they're crazy expensive to install and maintain they're kept in service for as long as physically possible with as much maintenance deferred as legally allowable.

Hence the joke: How often do these cables snap?

Usually just the once.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

The same thing is happening at a train station near me now, we might live in the same city. Then again, people are saying it's common for that industry. It is an underground station and they have had to get special cranes and poo poo in as well to lift old sections out

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Elevators and escalators are loving hilariously broken industries. Since they're crazy expensive to install and maintain they're kept in service for as long as physically possible with as much maintenance deferred as legally allowable. By the time something finally gives out it's completely out of date and if it's a mechanical thing, the manufacturing/installing company no longer has the tooling to reproduce it. So the thing has to get sent away to some independent machine shop and remade from scratch. In the case of pistons for hydraulic elevators, this process can take like a half year. I think recently the two largest elevator companies merged, too.

Is there anything at all that isn't hosed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moridin920 posted:

Is there anything at all that isn't hosed up?

my love for you is still pure and true