Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

S.J. posted:

Can they PLEASE put War of the Lion on the god damned switch

Don't you mean Tactics Ogre LUCT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

:hmmyes:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Nephzinho posted:

Don't make me choose just one!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nephzinho posted:

Oh yeah this too. It runs terribly on my PSP emulator.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
blame yourself or god

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should have gotten the LUCT and FFXII translator for WotL instead of someone doing a bad imitation.

IIRC Alexander O Smith’s the name.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Nephzinho posted:

:yeshaha:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The only localizer I need is Google Translate.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Nephzinho posted:

Don't *you* mean Ogre Battle 64

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should have gotten the LUCT and FFXII translator for WotL instead of someone doing a bad imitation.

Can't... tell... if...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MonsieurChoc posted:

alexander o smith is only good when he has a strict handler reigning in his self fellating poo poo. see: vagrant story, where they were like "okay alex. no making up words now"

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jackie D posted:

LUCT is already done, they could port it directly from PSP and we'd eat it up. Ogre Battle 64 would require effort (or a Virtual Console).

I have been meaning to replay OB64 for years. One of the dozen n64 games that survived my purge.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mega64 posted:

The only localizer I need is Google Translate.

Whoah...

E:

Final Fantasy Megathread - People here, it sounds like sickness

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 27, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I approve the name change btw

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Can't... tell... if...

Those games had good localization. :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not sure why you assumed we like good translation, we're the final fantasy thread

If we were literate enough, we wouldn't play this

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Little Money

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
FFXIV raids show that the canonical intent was for FFT characters to scream stupid poo poo during attacks. WotL loses again!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL1U0GwZK4U

(Give me Romancing SaGa stuff in FFXIV Square! I'd pay to be able to play a Geckling or fight through a Saruin dungeon)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jackie D posted:

:hai:

I got OB64 currently in my 64. Maybe I should fire it up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

I approve the name change btw

Let's compromise...

AERISTH

AERITHS

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just name her Gonnabiteit and cut to the chase.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Healing is limited until you have the HEAL equipment spread across party members. At which point you kill all but one enemy and use the HEAL gear to recover hp before killing the enemy.

That’s definitely a good trick to keep in mind, but it’s only available about two-thirds of the way through the game and also pretty tedious (though healing in general is tedious in FF1). I definitely wouldn’t base my party choices around it. White and black magic are still really important for the ability to extend out of battle healing and quickly wipe out dangerous enemy formations respectively.

Just as an intellectual exercise, here’s what I would do if I wanted to rebalance FF1 classes while making minimal changes to the game:

First: SABR and TMPR bugs are fixed, critical hit bug is fixed and run bug is fixed. FAST and SABR change places in the magic list. This will make sense according to the changes below.

Fighter: Loses white magic as a knight. Still extremely durable with excellent single target damage.

Red Mage: Loses lv. 7 spells. This cuts access to FAST, CUR4 and ICE3, which makes them much weaker in the end game. Still an excellent, versatile class that can contribute more in boss fights than before with SABR, as long as there’s another source of FAST.

White Mage: Gets the fighter’s armor list and HP growth. Still no offense, but very strong defense. No longer objectively wrong to not bring a fighter, but unlike a fighter, can’t solo fights.

Black Belt: Gets vanilla red mage/wizard white magic progression. Comparable/superior single target damage to fighter, good support, a little squishy, but can take a few hits. No longer completely worthless in the early game.

Thief: Gets vanilla red mage/wizard black magic progression. No longer completely worthless for two-thirds of the game and late game is probably the best overall offensive character with good AoE spells, SABR, FAST and strong weapons. Defense is also reasonable after promoting to ninja.

Black Mage: Stays the same. Possibly worse than thief now, but gets earlier access to key spells and should strongly outperform red mage in its role throughout the game.

This would be a pretty huge buff to most parties, but I’m not sure any of them would be that much stronger than a classic fighter, fighter, red mage, red mage. I’d be interested to see what would shake out as the strongest combo with those changes, though.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 28, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Having played a few hours of Final Fantasy III on Steam with the menu mod with feature to reduced required XP for levels up in half (which for some reason the current version is broke so you need the files for that from a old one)...and it feels a lot better now. The game still feels clunky for bad design decisions, and I still wish they would gave save points in dungeons.

That said, I did grab cheat engine for the fast forward (only works in dungeons not in battle), which also seems to lower the encounter rate when doing that...to a almost bearable rate. Man this remake would been so much better if they did a few things differently. But it does feel actually fun now since I am not grinding as much.

Cheat engine also has a handy raise job level feature, which at least gets a new job to a actually usable state. Seriously why do I need to cheat to fix this.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nephzinho posted:

Por que no los dos?

I never finished LUCT but loved what I played of it

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

TheHoosier posted:

Por que no los dos?

I never finished LUCT but loved what I played of it

If the lp is anything to go by, thats the best way to experience it.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Anyone who says they prefer the original translation of FFT is a loving liar or a complete idiot.

Dropping hot takes ITT.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Anyone who says they prefer the original translation of FFT is a loving liar or a complete idiot.

Dropping hot takes ITT.

I've discovered it's a combination of nostalgia and being too dumb to understand faux-Elizabethan words.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've discovered it's a combination of nostalgia and being too dumb to understand faux-Elizabethan words.

I lean on the nostalgia theory myself. I loved OG FFT as a kid, but I went back and watched a longplay video sometime last year and that writing is a hot goddamn mess

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The retranslation went a little too far in a few places, but it is better. You see, Ramza is the key to all this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If you think the new translation is better, blame yourself or god

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
O G t r a n s l a t i o n i s f i n e , g o o n s .

Rirse posted:

Having played a few hours of Final Fantasy III on Steam with the menu mod with feature to reduced required XP for levels up in half (which for some reason the current version is broke so you need the files for that from a old one)...and it feels a lot better now. The game still feels clunky for bad design decisions, and I still wish they would gave save points in dungeons.

That said, I did grab cheat engine for the fast forward (only works in dungeons not in battle), which also seems to lower the encounter rate when doing that...to a almost bearable rate. Man this remake would been so much better if they did a few things differently. But it does feel actually fun now since I am not grinding as much.

Cheat engine also has a handy raise job level feature, which at least gets a new job to a actually usable state. Seriously why do I need to cheat to fix this.
It sounds like a lot of effort to improve a bad port when the NES version doesn't have the nonsense changes, can run at super speed, and allows saving in dungeons in an emulator.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 3, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Both English translations are garbage, still waiting for an Al Bhed translation.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Mega64 posted:

Both English translations are garbage, still waiting for an Al Bhed translation.

This I can get behind.

Also, a mod that replaces Mustadio with Brother.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The first FFT translation typifies 90s translation in a timeless way that should be preserved and taught to nerd youth. The newer translation is not bad but is part of a corpus that is spilling over in examples with the way translation quality stepped up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Most of the translation of the story scenes in the original FFT is fine. The horrible translation issues was mostly confined to secondary material that clearly didn't get much proof-reading, like the bar rumors, the proposition jobs, and the hilariously incomprehensible tutorial stuff.

Meanwhile the WotL translation is mostly fine but is a pretty clumsy attempt at imitating Alexander O. Smith's style and is actually a pretty poor attempt to sound smart.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's pretty amazing how thoroughly this can be debunked but people will keep saying it to justify an impotent hate when the other talking points fail.

Agreed.

Xenogears was a bad game by design, not because FF8 stole resources.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But what about the cop in SaGa Frontier?

While it would be interesting to get his storyline in a remaster/port for consoles and mobile, Fuse sucks.

Nephzinho posted:

This but use the PSX/SFC version because the grind of the PS version is loving insane and at least on the PSX you can just let two clerics throw rocks at each other while you're at work when you decide you want to just be level 50 and bulldoze poo poo until you can unlock PotD and abuse reanimate, retissue, and snapdragon.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Chapter 4's translation in the original is an incomprehensible mess. The end of Chapter 3 isn't much better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

Chapter 4's translation in the original is an incomprehensible mess. The end of Chapter 3 isn't much better.

actually this is just fft in all languages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lump me into the "Enjoys original translation" FFT crowd. I don't think it's better, there are just lines that are very memorable for me I.e. "Blame yourself or God."

Those lines just resonated with my young self.