Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What do people do when you're window shopping for guitars online and find one you really want to try, but it doesn't exist anywhere within 300 miles or something outrageous? I don't feel good about the idea of buying a $1k guitar and possibly returning it if it doesn't work out. If Guitar Center sells something, how amenable are they to getting one shipped in to try out before committing to buy it? I used to have a guitar shop nearby that did that (at least with brands they were dealers of) but they closed down a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't feel good about the idea of buying a $1k guitar and possibly returning it if it doesn't work out.
Any reason why not? Returns are generally painless with large stores now, and guitars aren’t super difficult to repackage.

As far as I know Guitar Center will let you ship to store provided you already ordered the thing and then you can initiate a return if you don’t like it. But they’ll also ship poo poo to you directly and let you return it in-person, so unless you have porch pirate paranoia I’d still suggest that route.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Death Panel Czar posted:

Any reason why not? Returns are generally painless with large stores now, and guitars aren’t super difficult to repackage.

As far as I know Guitar Center will let you ship to store provided you already ordered the thing and then you can initiate a return if you don’t like it. But they’ll also ship poo poo to you directly and let you return it in-person, so unless you have porch pirate paranoia I’d still suggest that route.

Only reason why not is if it would turn into a headache to return a guitar. If they're generally pretty cool with returns for no other reason than "it's just not working out" then I won't sweat it if there's one I can't find somewhere. I've got a GC right by me but they don't carry much in the way of ESP/LTD or Schecter stuff in the price range I'm looking at. I'll go chat with somebody there and see what they suggest.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
every major online retailer has a pretty good return policy, it's nothing to worry about

though there was one time about 15-ish years ago musicians friend sent me a yamaha pacifica out of the blue by mistake, and when i called to get a return number they told me to just keep it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
oh man free Pacifica. You scored hard.

MockingQuantum posted:

What do people do when you're window shopping for guitars online and find one you really want to try, but it doesn't exist anywhere within 300 miles or something outrageous? I don't feel good about the idea of buying a $1k guitar and possibly returning it if it doesn't work out. If Guitar Center sells something, how amenable are they to getting one shipped in to try out before committing to buy it? I used to have a guitar shop nearby that did that (at least with brands they were dealers of) but they closed down a few years back.

Either be really sure or make sure there's a good return policy. I couldn't try mine first either since nobody carries Pacificas or Classic Vibes for some reason.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Either be really sure or make sure there's a good return policy. I couldn't try mine first either since nobody carries Pacificas or Classic Vibes for some reason.

Oh definitely. I'm kind of putting the cart before the horse by even thinking about this, since I've barely tried any guitars, but I just wanna know what my options are.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

oh man free Pacifica. You scored hard.

yeah i figured i can repay my good fortune by always recommending them for babby's first guitar

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

My amp, a Super Champ X2, is vibrating quite a bit f I turn it up much past 3 on the volume. It gets worse with reverb. Is this normal resonance? Any way to rule out tubes short of replacing them? I’ve tapped on them and they don’t sound too springy, but I’m no expert. I’ve also tightened all the screws. Some were loose, but it didn’t seem to make a huge difference.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

So I just got back into guitar after about a ten year hiatus. Anyone have any recommendations for a really simple, bare-bones looper pedal substitute for recording and looping music to jam to on Windows? I have an acoustic, so it would need to be capable of recording audio on a microphone.

Can't seem to find anything that's not an entire recording studio complete with sound mixing booth apparently.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Reaper plus a Scarlett 2i4

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Or Audacity, or Tracktion... there are several very good, full-features DAWs out there

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

I went Behringer UMC404HD + Reaper and with no experience and 15 min of youtube videos I was able to record a mic / guitar no problems. Already had a old windows laptop that ended up working fine for everything.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I'm playing with some co-workers in a company band as rhythm guitar. I am currently using a Squier Affinity Tele going into a Zoom G1xon pedal directly into a mixer. We mostly do 90s alt rock. I've had to put gigantic noise gates on all the patches because I'm getting so much noise in the line; it's pretty frustrating. Like such high noise gates that you -really- have to hit the strings pretty hard to get a sound that then cuts out prematurely because the noise gate kicks in. Bonus season is coming and I want to upgrade my beginner guitar. I'm comfortable spending ~700 for the guitar and I'm torn on if I should bother with a better pedal.

I was initially wanting to get at least something with a humbucker with the thought of not needing the noise gates to be so damned high, though I don't know if the low end equipment I'm using is what is really at fault vs it just being a single coil guitar. I played some different guitars at my local GC initially thinking I'd want a Epiphone LP but the neck on the ones I tried were so wide it was not clicking. The painted back instead of a varnish felt really weird too. I know folks here sing the praises of the Squier CV but I didn't notice any in the store. I did try a MIM Strat with a maple neck and I liked the feel of it a lot more, especially since the neck was more like what I am used to. I'm leaning towards getting either a CV or a MIM Strat. One thing I worry about is I feel I don't really have a good handle on 'tone', so when playing a few guitars at the store I'm not sure what to listen for. The different pickups etc just get overwhelming.

When actually choosing which guitar to buy, do I just check the intonation and make sure it doesn't suck at this point? Just pick the CV or MIM Strat?

Is there some other readily available guitar I should make sure to try before deciding on what to buy? Something I would likely find in my local guitar center?

I have available the Zoom G1xon pedal and a Digitech element XP pedal. I suck at editing patches on both but the Digitech is hell to work on comparatively hence using the Zoom. I know that in general the amp you are playing on is nearly as critical as the guitar and this is acting as my amp. So, should I expect to actually be able to reduce the noise gates by getting a better quality guitar or do I need to look into getting some other kind of pedal? I also just realized I'm playing with it plugged into a power adaptor, so I'll need to try playing on batteries as well.

Lastly, I know I'm not that good at guitar and I currently blame the low end equipment being partially at fault for my not sounding better, but I know I just need to put more time into practicing...

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Hawkeye posted:

I have available the Zoom G1xon pedal and a Digitech element XP pedal. I suck at editing patches on both but the Digitech is hell to work on comparatively hence using the Zoom. I know that in general the amp you are playing on is nearly as critical as the guitar and this is acting as my amp. So, should I expect to actually be able to reduce the noise gates by getting a better quality guitar or do I need to look into getting some other kind of pedal? I also just realized I'm playing with it plugged into a power adaptor, so I'll need to try playing on batteries as well.
I think the Zooms have a reputation for being noisy. Do you have equally the same issue with both of the pedals, or just one or the other? You could also take the guitar you have to a store, ask to try an amp out, and see if you still notice the noise problem to the same degree.

Singlecoils can be noisy but I would be suspect the pedal first and the guitar second.

Hawkeye posted:

Lastly, I know I'm not that good at guitar and I currently blame the low end equipment being partially at fault for my not sounding better, but I know I just need to put more time into practicing...
There's nothing wrong with upgrading when you can, though. The "stop worrying about new gear and worry about getting better" argument is more relevant when you're talking about moderately expensive rigs, whereas you've got some relatively cheap stuff (no offensive). Cheaper gear is precisely where you get problems that can be solved via upgrading. If two years from now you're arguing about a $4,000 amp making you sound better then yeah, maybe that's a "practice more" problem. When you've got a $100 modeling box, there's totally room for blaming aspects of the sound on the hardware.

Death Panel Czar fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 24, 2019

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Death Panel Czar posted:

There's nothing wrong with upgrading when you can, though. The "stop worrying about new gear and worry about getting better" argument is more relevant when you're talking about moderately expensive rigs, whereas you've got some relatively cheap stuff (no offensive). Cheaper gear is precisely where you get problems that can be solved via upgrading. If two years from now you're arguing about a $4,000 amp making you sound better then yeah, maybe that's a "practice more" problem. When you've got a $100 modeling box, there's totally room for blaming aspects of the sound on the hardware.

To elaborate on this: if your issue is "there's a loving terrible buzzing sound even when I'm not actually playing it" then yes gear can solve THAT.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Echoing the Zoom pedal noise. I had one that I returned because of the noise.

In your situation, you might want to try a Boss Katana 50 for an amp and a guitar that makes you happy with the rest of the cash. Epiphones and Squiers are well regarded, but you might be able to fetch a used Fender, which would have the unfinished neck you prefer. See what you can get your hands on.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Death Panel Czar posted:

I think the Zooms have a reputation for being noisy. Do you have equally the same issue with both of the pedals, or just one or the other? You could also take the guitar you have to a store, ask to try an amp out, and see if you still notice the noise problem to the same degree.

Singlecoils can be noisy but I would be suspect the pedal first and the guitar second.

I used the Digitech first and didn't recall the noise issues but we had just started too and it could have been missed. I think it would be good for me to test both pedals in the same session to check for noise issues, good call, and I take no offense to my stuff being called relatively cheap when I know it is!

nitsuga posted:

Echoing the Zoom pedal noise. I had one that I returned because of the noise.

In your situation, you might want to try a Boss Katana 50 for an amp and a guitar that makes you happy with the rest of the cash. Epiphones and Squiers are well regarded, but you might be able to fetch a used Fender, which would have the unfinished neck you prefer. See what you can get your hands on.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try and find one to play with next time I try out some equipment.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you can, try turning down the boost in the pedal and turning yourself up at the mixing desk.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

hi guitar thread. anyone have any experience with spray painting pickguards? i know nothing about which paint to use. i have this thing which i love the poo poo out of but kinda want the guard to be different color. i think the pickguard might be aluminum. i also tried looking online for possible replacements but had no luck.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the best option would be to take it to a shop that does powder coating, but you can get by with spray cans

you'll need some stuff called self-etching primer which helps bond the paint to the metal, then your color, and an enamel clear coat. also sanding, lots of sanding

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Lots of tutorials out there on painting aluminum car wheels too, which should apply.

Getting nice coats with a rattlecan isn't hard, but lots of people manage to screw up the technique anyway

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's textured metal, right? It's gonna be a moderate to severe pain in the rear end and/or cost more than you want. I'm all for DIY but...

You could rattlecan it but the results are rarely what you were picturing and I'm not even sure how you'd sand checkerplate properly. And you need to do a lot of sanding to get what you want, have a dust free place to dry it, etc

Powdercoating will work well and look OK to good. Unless you're set up for it or have a friend who is, it will be nearly impossible to DIY and expensive otherwise.

Or take it to an automotive painter, which will be a great result but might cost an arm and a leg if you can even find anyone who wants to do such a teeny job.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
sanding and primer are important, do not skip either of those things

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Or take it to an automotive painter, which will be a great result but might cost an arm and a leg if you can even find anyone who wants to do such a teeny job.

a custom bike or racing shop that handles smaller pieces wouldn't have any issue doing it

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

thanks for the advice all. ill look into those options but if it ends up being too expensive ill leave it as is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe a student who works with that sort of thing could do it for cheap?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Anyone have experience changing the whole pickup/preamp/eq whatever in an ovation semi acoustic? My 1988-p still has the original system and it keeps dying on me and the local shops can't fix it properly because we can't find the parts, so I was thinking of ripping the whole thing out and installing something new. Recommendations much appreciated.

Also how true is it that ovations only work with other ovation parts? Been told I won't be able to install a Fishman or similar because ovation is all end to end.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The tone knob on my CV Tele is all gritty and tough to turn.

Ugh, I just got this back from the shop for body work too and it wasn't even close to the controls. And I've only had it for 3 months.

Anybody have an issue like this? My first instinct was to take the knob off but there's no screw or anything. Would a drop of 3 and 1 oil hurt it at all?

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 28, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

skooma512 posted:

The tone knob on my CV Tele is all gritty and tough to turn.

Ugh, I just got this back from the shop for body work too and it wasn't even close to the controls. And I've only had it for 3 months.

Anybody have an issue like this? My first instinct was to take the knob off but there's no screw or anything. Would a drop of 3 and 1 oil hurt it at all?

Take a towel/cloth and hook it around and under the bottom of the knob and then just pull it off. No risk damaging the guitar that way. You might be able to clean it off easily and see what’s going on. If that doesn’t work then look up a video on dealing with scratchy pots with deoxit and hit up amazon.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Take a towel/cloth and hook it around and under the bottom of the knob and then just pull it off. No risk damaging the guitar that way. You might be able to clean it off easily and see what’s going on. If that doesn’t work then look up a video on dealing with scratchy pots with deoxit and hit up amazon.

That did the trick, thanks!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Something non riffy but experimenting with the Line 6 helixes sine oscilators:

https://soundcloud.com/batteries/ronezz

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

massive spider posted:

That’s pretty cool. Really mellowed me out.

In the spirit of that, here’s a riff and a nice mess of an ending.

https://soundcloud.com/user-798581540/english-and-i

rio
Mar 20, 2008

massive spider posted:

I really dig that. My cats, however, didn’t. The cat on my lap looked around like it was the end of the world and jumped off to see what it was and the cat across the room woke up all on high alert as well. Not sure why, but I liked it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

massive spider posted:

wait, is that not an ebow? that's pretty cool if it's coming out of a pedal

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The top line is an ebow but the pad underneath it a sine generator effect with the pitches being manipulated with expression switches. I wanted to try and make it sound like several ebows harmonizing.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 1, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

aww, I thought they'd cracked some magic

still cool though

also nitsuga's riff demands an OI! overdubbed in there

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I accidentally took a pretty neat picture of my bass.

ASenileAnimal posted:

thanks for the advice all. ill look into those options but if it ends up being too expensive ill leave it as is.

You could also find a furniture shop that does powdercoating and smoothie in with the shop guys, order up a sample of the color of your choice from DuPont or whoever for very cheap, and ask them to spray it and throw it in the oven for the price of a sixer.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 2, 2019

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

e: double post

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

massive spider posted:

Nice. My cat wasn't concerned at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon