Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thanks for the trades, Flopsy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

OK it'll be a pain in the rear end but you can do this. You have to use Island Scan. Tuesday is when Prinplup shows up, on Route 16. You'll have to catch one of them in a Beast Ball, then breed it with a Ditto until you get a female in a Beast Ball.

Then you'll need a male Piplup with Aqua Ring. Breed that with your Beast Ball female, until you get a Piplup with Aqua Ring in a Beast Ball.

Males pass down their poke balls now.

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

Flopsy posted:

It has to be two parents of the exact same species to pass the pokeball down. Breed a piplup with aqua ring then breed it with another piplup in the ball you want.

oh cool, i just saw on bulbapedia that prinplup can be caught via island scan in usum so using this method i should be able to get what i was looking for, i appreciate the quick answers from everyone

so just to make sure i've got the order of operations correct here, i'll need to:
- catch a female prinplup in a beast ball when it's available through island scan on tuesday
- then breed it with a male dewpider to get a piplup in a beast ball with aqua ring
- then breed that piplup with my 6iv foreign destiny knot ditto like i normally would til i get my ideal nature and 6ivs

that'll get me my perfect 6iv/aqua ring/beast ball strong penguin friend, right? i'm not missing anything?

EDIT:

Silver Falcon posted:

OK it'll be a pain in the rear end but you can do this. You have to use Island Scan. Tuesday is when Prinplup shows up, on Route 16. You'll have to catch one of them in a Beast Ball, then breed it with a Ditto until you get a female in a Beast Ball.

Then you'll need a male Piplup with Aqua Ring. Breed that with your Beast Ball female, until you get a Piplup with Aqua Ring in a Beast Ball.

ahhh, okay i think i get everything now, thank you all so much for the help! looking forward to going on adventures with my very strong penguin buddy

Tunklord Supreme fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 3, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Thanks for the trades, Flopsy!

No problem!

Diet Poison posted:

Thank you for the offer friend but I have Timid Drought Vulpixes up the wazoo already; I've just always loved ghostly shiny Ninetales and am just curious about the easiest way to get one. Bulbapedia's kind of obtuse sometimes.

I totally understand man. My Kuzonoha is one my most treasured pokemon but breeding just sucks the soul out of you sometimes.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Tunklord Supreme posted:

oh cool, i just saw on bulbapedia that prinplup can be caught via island scan in usum so using this method i should be able to get what i was looking for, i appreciate the quick answers from everyone

so just to make sure i've got the order of operations correct here, i'll need to:
- catch a female prinplup in a beast ball when it's available through island scan on tuesday
- then breed it with a male dewpider to get a piplup in a beast ball with aqua ring
- then breed that piplup with my 6iv foreign destiny knot ditto like i normally would til i get my ideal nature and 6ivs

that'll get me my perfect 6iv/aqua ring/beast ball strong penguin friend, right? i'm not missing anything?

Seems pretty exact actually. That looks like a winning combo right there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Giggity!

Also: can you change what ball your mon is in? Why would you do that, and how?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

chaosapiant posted:

Also: can you change what ball your mon is in?

No

chaosapiant posted:

Why would you do that

~*aesthetics*~

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I ask because I read about getting a Pokémon in this or that ball; while I just catch everything in the least expensive ball possible and work my way up as needed.

Also, do shops ever carry specialty balls like dusk, dive, or net?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Giggity!

Also: can you change what ball your mon is in? Why would you do that, and how?

Unfortunately I'm sorry to say no, at this point that's not possible. Balls are strictly determined by breeding or what you catch them in. I'm just picky because I like the colors of the pokemon to match up with their balls but there's no real battle benefit to it. It's just aesthetics.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Flopsy posted:

Yes, of course, but in order to get egg moves on it, you need a female. Balls are only passed down when breeding the same species.

Tunklord Supreme posted:

EDIT:

ahhh, okay i think i get everything now, thank you all so much for the help! looking forward to going on adventures with my very strong penguin buddy

You have the process down! I am pretty sure the Island Scan starters can't be female. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: and you'd have to breed it anyway because balls are only passed down when breeding the same species. So, breeding Prinplup with Piplup would not work! The world of Fashion Balling is complex and fraught with pitfalls. Good luck!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 3, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, of course, but in order to get egg moves on it, you need a female. Balls are only passed down when breeding the same species.

Ah, ok I see what you're talking about now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Egg moves... another term I hear a lot. And read a lot. What’s egg moves?

(I also picture it being sang by Bob Seger.)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Moves that are passed down by the mother pokemon breeding with a pokemon of a different species. For example: a female pidove breeding with a male honchkrow to get night slash.

Y'all want to hear a breeding horror story related to this?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Egg Moves are extra moves Pokemon can only pick up by breeding.

Take the Piplup example being discussed here. Aqua Ring is on Piplup's Egg Move list. Breed a female Piplup with a male that knows Aqua Ring, and the baby Piplups will have Aqua Ring when they hatch. You can do this either with a male in the same "Egg Group" (basically a list of what will breed with what) or a male of the same species that knows the move you want.

You can get some pretty great moves this way!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

egg moves are moves that can only be acquired via breeding; to use a thread example, the piplup line can only get aqua ring by having a female of the piplup line breed with a compatiable male who has aqua ring

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

These guys explained it better than me. ^^^^^^

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Flopsy posted:

These guys explained it better than me. ^^^^^^

:hfive: We're being helpful. I want to hear your breeding horror story!

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

:hfive: We're being helpful. I want to hear your breeding horror story!

Oh Lord thank you LOL. Welp you're going think I'm insane but the fact I actually went through with this probably means I already am. So the worst thing I've ever had to breed in my life was essentially the jewel of my collection. A single Budew. Now you might ask yourself "What makes this Budew so much more valuable than all these shiny Arceus' and Deoxys' you're giving away Flops?". It's a timid, hidden ability budew with extrasensory and hidden power fire in a moon ball with the highest possible IVs in every category save attack.

Breeding this took four weeks and a significant chunk of my sanity. I bred a "shiny" before I got the pokemon I wanted. To the uninitiated Budew are notoriously hard to breed because they require the parent to hold the rose incense. Essentially forcing you to give up one of the most vital breeding tools: the everstone. Their nature becomes completely randomized and getting it right becomes a gamble. In addition to that hidden abilities are also randomized along with IV's. And in order to get extrasensory on the pokemon it HAD to be a Budew because the move will not pass down to Roselia. So....through a lot of trial and error I managed to get two parents, a female Roselia with her hidden ability, the right IV's for hidden power fire and extrasensory but a poo poo nature with a bulbasaur with the same exact IV's needed for hidden power fire holding the destiny knot. Because of the sheer amount of randomization involved in the breeding process I had thousands of near misses trying to get the right combination for the baby. I got almost all my shinies from the sheer amount of wonder trading I did trying to breed this perfect budew that just seemed like it wasn't happening. Why did I do this nitpicking bullshit you ask? Because Roserade is one of my favorite pokemon and I wanted to make one as competitively viable as possible. Also I'm loving nuts. So one beautiful BEAUTIFUL DAY I finally did it. i finally got a timid one with all the business correctly in order and named him Arsene. I may or may not of wept. It then occurred to me I might have a problem before I promptly shook off this revelation to start breeding a Vespiquen.

The END

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Haha, okay, here's what I came up with:

SHININESS
DexNav: 0.00156 (I don't have the shiny charm in AS)
Masuda w/ Shiny Charm: 0.00195

DROUGHT
DexNav: .23
Breeding: .8

TIMID
Fainted Synch Abra: .54
Breeding w/ Everstone 1

Not to mention IVs... there's no guarantee that Super Trained stats will carry forward into Gen 8 as we know they don't change the "real" value of the number.

.00156*.23*.54 = 0.000193752 = 0.0194%
.00195*.8*1 = 0.00156 = 0.156%

Feel free to check my math if you're the type of person inclined to do that. So it looks like Masuda Breeding with Shiny Charm and an Everstone is 8 times more likely to yield the result I want than DexNav-ing with a fainted Abra out in front. Well that was a waste of a ridiculous amount of time.

e: What this doesn't take into account is how many Vulpixes I can hatch per hour vs how many I can encounter with the DexNav per hour. But something tells me the latter won't be 8 times the former.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 3, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bringing back for a last hurrah the topic of 90s kids anime dubs, I'm wondering how Medabots holds up, since it had a pretty silly dub but I get the feeling it was a pretty silly show in the first place. The villains were silly and dumb even by children's cartoon standards and the subject of constant mockery. Also, Metabee had a black VA who basically played him like Shaft as a little gun-toting robot.

I mostly remember the Pokemon anime in the last days of the 4kids dub had an episode with 'dating season'.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Haha, okay, here's what I came up with:

SHININESS
DexNav: 0.00156 (I don't have the shiny charm in AS)
Masuda w/ Shiny Charm: 0.00195

DROUGHT
DexNav: .23
Breeding: .8

TIMID
Fainted Synch Abra: .54
Breeding w/ Everstone 1

Not to mention IVs... there's no guarantee that Super Trained stats will carry forward into Gen 8 as we know they don't change the "real" value of the number.

.00156*.23*.54 = 0.000193752 = 0.0194%
.00195*.8*1 = 0.00156 = 0.156%

Feel free to check my math if you're the type of person inclined to do that. So it looks like Masuda Breeding with Shiny Charm and an Everstone is 8 times more likely to yield the result I want than DexNav-ing with a fainted Abra out in front. Well that was a waste of a ridiculous amount of time.

e: What this doesn't take into account is how many Vulpixes I can hatch per hour vs how many I can encounter with the DexNav per hour. But something tells me the latter won't be 8 times the former.

I feel like we're kin already.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

This breeding talk reminded me that I still have a lot of egg move passing I need to go through. Hopefully it won't take more time than passing down Water Pulse on a Vanillite before ORAS came out, already used that TM in Platinum so I had to restart LeafGreen to get that from Misty, transfer that TM, teach it to a Snorunt in Platinum, transfer to Black 1, and then PokeBank it. I wonder if any of the Gen 8 pokémon are going to get egg move chains like that again.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Budew story

I tried for the same exact thing lmao. So don't feel too bad, at least you managed it eventually.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Silver Falcon posted:

It's pretty darn fast in the Alola games.

Oval Charm is a key item you get it in Hea Hea City from Moritomo in the Gamefreak building. It makes eggs appear more often.

If you have a Pokemon with Magma Armor or Flame Body in your party, eggs hatch twice as fast. If you're in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, you can also use the Roto Hatch power (received randomly when Rotom's eyes flash), to cut it in half again.

Then what you do is go out to the small enclosed pen right in front of the Nursery, bring out your Tauros ride-on Pokemon, and spin in circles like an idiot. When the attendant outside crosses her arms, that means an egg is ready! Go grab it, and spin some more. When you have a party full of eggs, pop a Roto Hatch, or just keep spinning and keep collecting eggs as they come in. If you accept another egg while your party is full, you'll be promted to send any extras straight to your PC.

You can amass unholy amounts of eggs in no time at all.

I also do a perhaps unhealthy amount of breeding. I can answer any more questions you might have!

Gonna quote this so I can refer to it later.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HalfHazard posted:

I tried for the same exact thing lmao. So don't feel too bad, at least you managed it eventually.

Thank you for your kind words. :glomp:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Flopsy posted:

Oh Lord thank you LOL. Welp you're going think I'm insane but the fact I actually went through with this probably means I already am. So the worst thing I've ever had to breed in my life was essentially the jewel of my collection. A single Budew. Now you might ask yourself "What makes this Budew so much more valuable than all these shiny Arceus' and Deoxys' you're giving away Flops?". It's a timid, hidden ability budew with extrasensory and hidden power fire in a moon ball with the highest possible IVs in every category save attack.

Breeding this took four weeks and a significant chunk of my sanity. I bred a "shiny" before I got the pokemon I wanted. To the uninitiated Budew are notoriously hard to breed because they require the parent to hold the rose incense. Essentially forcing you to give up one of the most vital breeding tools: the everstone. Their nature becomes completely randomized and getting it right becomes a gamble. In addition to that hidden abilities are also randomized along with IV's. And in order to get extrasensory on the pokemon it HAD to be a Budew because the move will not pass down to Roselia. So....through a lot of trial and error I managed to get two parents, a female Roselia with her hidden ability, the right IV's for hidden power fire and extrasensory but a poo poo nature with a bulbasaur with the same exact IV's needed for hidden power fire holding the destiny knot. Because of the sheer amount of randomization involved in the breeding process I had thousands of near misses trying to get the right combination for the baby. I got almost all my shinies from the sheer amount of wonder trading I did trying to breed this perfect budew that just seemed like it wasn't happening. Why did I do this nitpicking bullshit you ask? Because Roserade is one of my favorite pokemon and I wanted to make one as competitively viable as possible. Also I'm loving nuts. So one beautiful BEAUTIFUL DAY I finally did it. i finally got a timid one with all the business correctly in order and named him Arsene. I may or may not of wept. It then occurred to me I might have a problem before I promptly shook off this revelation to start breeding a Vespiquen.

The END

Did you pick Arsene because it’s from Persona/Shin Megami Tensei? Also, fantastic story! I’d love to know how many hours you have in Pokémon!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My favorite thing is how Game Freak loves giving pokemon in the Field egg group these completely random egg moves that no pokemon in the egg group learns.

But Smeargle exists so it's technically possible.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Flopsy, if ya don't mind me asking, but are you still in need of the dusk ball pidove or luxury ball growliths? I'd like do do something nice for you for being so nice to everyone.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A little late but everyone knows the Pokemon show is for idiot morons, as is the entire franchise.

Also I will be buying a Switch for this game and putting together a team of six Wigglytuffs with varied coverage moves to handle the entire spectrum, only to throw my joycons in the trash with rage as soon as I get to the Poison or Steel gym.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Did you pick Arsene because it’s from Persona/Shin Megami Tensei? Also, fantastic story! I’d love to know how many hours you have in Pokémon!

Yup! Roserade gives me a phantom thief vibe so I thought it was appropriate. And at this point I'd wager somewhere in the thousands I don't really check on the regular but I've been breeding nonstop since sun and moon came out.

Aristide posted:

Flopsy, if ya don't mind me asking, but are you still in need of the dusk ball pidove or luxury ball growliths? I'd like do do something nice for you for being so nice to everyone.

D'awwww!!! Thank you so much! :3: A dusk ball pidove would be fine. If you'd like to pick out something for yourself too feel free.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 3, 2019

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/GameTimeAsia/status/1101708180806164480

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I will not stand for this incessant putting down of Grookey

he is a good boy (unless he gets a terrible evo, then he'll go into the trash)

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 3, 2019

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Is the GTS still filled with hacked 'mons? I haven't played much since HGSS.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

I will not stand for this incessant putting down of Grookey

he is a good boy (unless he gets a terrible evo, then he'll go into the trash)

How dare you. Grookey Gang 4 Life

Infinitum posted:

Chill Penguin posted:

Rep Grookey Gang
This guy gets it

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Vapor Moon posted:

Is the GTS still filled with hacked 'mons? I haven't played much since HGSS.

Wonder Trade is so the GTS probably is too. So many level 100 perfect IV shinies.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Infinitum posted:

How dare you. Grookey Gang 4 Life

if he cannot maintain his good boy status when evolving that's his problem

so, what are your bets on the new Eeveelution? I'm thinking steel to go with the sword/shield motif

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Bug Eevee

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dragon Eevee cause it's the only original special type not represented by an Eeveelution :colbert:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Flying Eevee so we can get a pure flying type that isn't some Legendary or weird alternate form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Electric Eevee again, this time it looks like Pikachu.