Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pharohman777 posted:

You are literally saying that because the US was asked for help, regardless of any factors like the situation in Venezuela, the state of the national assembly, or years of rejection of humanitarian aid, Maduro's government becomes good and legitimate because they are opposed to the US and Donald Trump.

i wouldn't say that maduro's government is good. however, it's fairly obvious that the trump administration's designs for venezuela are not going to make things better, and considering the opposition have tied themselves to his administration, we have to take that into account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

he's pretty drat relevant to the situation when his administration is intentionally worsening the situation in venezuela. dunno why you guys keep trying to pretend he's irrelevant
Trump is not relavent in that he does not suddenly turn the national assembly into some evil puppet and erase all the struggles of the Venezuelan people and Maduro's abuses of power just because he is on the side of the national assembly.

Do you seriously think politics is as simple as 'allied with US in a trump presidency=evil'?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pharohman777 posted:

Trump is not relavent in that he does not suddenly turn the national assembly into some evil puppet and erase all the struggles of the Venezuelan people and Maduro's abuses of power just because he is on the side of the national assembly.

Do you seriously think politics is as simple as 'allied with US in a trump presidency=evil'?

yes i think allying with the country intentionally worsening the crises of your country is evil. and i know that trump is evil, that's why abrams is in charge of the venezuelan coup

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

also, i'd like to add that i think it's evil to ally yourself with a country that is currently slobbering over the idea of going to war with your own. especially when said country is renowned for sky-high civilian casualties and bombing msf hospitals and poo poo on a good day, and it's currently a bad day

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

also, i'd like to add that i think it's evil to ally yourself with a country that is currently slobbering over the idea of going to war with your own. especially when said country is renowned for sky-high civilian casualties and bombing msf hospitals and poo poo on a good day, and it's currently a bad day

So everyone who supports the national assembly in this thread should be supporting maduro by your reasoning, correct?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

So everyone who supports the national assembly in this thread should be supporting maduro by your reasoning, correct?

Thinking Maduro's a piece of poo poo and the USA having evil foreign policy are not mutually exclusive ideas why is this so hard for you

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pharohman777 posted:

no. they just shouldn't be supporting the american-backed opposition. this isn't hard, you make it hard

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The problem is they're saying Maduro's rule is legitimate, and their only rationale is to suddenly shift the topic to the US. The US is the only entity with agency, the sole source of moral reasoning: whatever the US does, it must be evil and absolutely unequivocally wrong. Nothing else matters.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

whatever the US does, it must be evil and absolutely unequivocally wrong.

This has been true since before the US was even a nation state. The US is nazi germany that won the war.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

no. they just shouldn't be supporting the american-backed opposition. this isn't hard, you make it hard

So don't support anyone, and just allow the status quo of people fleeing the country as it's citizens starve to exist?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Condiv posted:

them running to trump and pence is a pretty clear signal they're not on the right side of this conflict

Much better to be on the side of russia,china and north korea.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Discendo Vox posted:

The problem is they're saying Maduro's rule is legitimate, and their only rationale is to suddenly shift the topic to the US. The US is the only entity with agency, the sole source of moral reasoning: whatever the US does, it must be evil and absolutely unequivocally wrong. Nothing else matters.

the US got abrams involved. so yes, what they're doing is evil. and what agency does the opposition have? they have no power, their only support is rooted in the US, etc

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pharohman777 posted:

So don't support anyone, and just allow the status quo of people fleeing the country as it's citizens starve to exist?

Lifting sanctions and drafting our chattering classes for labor battalions to rebuild their oil infrastructure would be a good first step.

zapplez posted:

Russia, China, and NK have not intervened over 100 times in latin america to install right wing dictatorships, why should it be surprising that China now does more trade with the continent's nations than the US?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 3, 2019

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

every loving shitlib disingenuous interventionist play trotted out

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pharohman777 posted:

actually, i support aid via the UN, lifting of the sanctions and returning of money needed to lift venezuela out of the crises it faces, and accepting venezuelans as refugees. so no, not the status quo

zapplez posted:

weren't you the guy who claimed the red cross was under the thumb of the kgb?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Local American grapples with idea that sometimes the US doesn't need to get involved in a country's internal power struggles

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pharohman777 posted:

The 2 sides are really "maduro must go at any cost" and "the US must not get bloody at any cost". You're already at a point of fully supporting making the humanitarian crisis way worse for everyday Venezuelans simply as an act of leverage.

At the end of the day if it comes down to maduro stays in power, or the US invades, you're going to side with a US military invasion. Other people remember Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan etc, and decide "no lovely leader is worth that human cost".

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

the US got abrams involved. so yes, what they're doing is evil. and what agency does the opposition have? they have no power, their only support is rooted in the US, etc

So you are illiterate then, if you keep missing why the opposition has no power because you never ever read the many, many explanations we give, and the one in the op.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Condiv posted:

actually, i support aid via the UN, lifting of the sanctions and returning of money needed to lift venezuela out of the crises it faces, and accepting venezuelans as refugees. so no, not the status quo

weren't you the guy who claimed the red cross was under the thumb of the kgb?

Its actually the UN spokeperson that was taking bribes from the kremlin, the same one that said recently to stay hands off in Venezuela.

https://www.unwatch.org/russia-gave-50000-un-expert-wrote-report-calling-russia-victim/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There is no such thing as the US not being involved with Venezuela. I know we've been over this, the oil trades, the refineries, the refusal to accept aid, the previous actions of the national assembly. We've discussed how Venezuela existed, how the opposition existed, and how the US interacted with Venezuelan economic systems, before sanctions were put in place. By its existence and operation in international oil markets, by governmental recognition, the US influences the situation regardless of action or inaction. You have set up a meaningless, unfalsifiable standard to meet your circular, unsatisfiable moral positioning.

With all that said, it is interesting to watch how rapidly spin this whataboutism carousel-how rapidly you turn the topic back to the north. Are you willing to acknowledge the legal legitimacy of the Venezuelan legislature and opposition yet? Are you even willing to acknowledge the Venezuelan food crisis? These positions keep changing, because you can't focus on them- you need them to be about the morality of the US.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zapplez posted:

Its actually the UN spokeperson that was taking bribes from the kremlin, the same one that said recently to stay hands off in Venezuela.

https://www.unwatch.org/russia-gave-50000-un-expert-wrote-report-calling-russia-victim/

UN Watch is an Israeli-funded astroturf group dedicated to the idea that the UN is beating up on poor Israel unfairly:

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

There is no such thing as the US not being involved with Venezuela. I know we've been over this, the oil trades, the refineries, the refusal to accept aid, the previous actions of the national assembly. We've discussed how Venezuela existed, how the opposition existed, and how the US interacted with Venezuelan economic systems, before sanctions were put in place. By its existence and operation in international oil markets, by governmental recognition, the US influences the situation regardless of action or inaction. You have set up a meaningless, unfalsifiable standard to meet your circular, unsatisfiable moral positioning.

With all that said, it is interesting to watch how rapidly spin this whataboutism carousel-how rapidly you turn the topic back to the north. Are you willing to acknowledge the legal legitimacy of the Venezuelan legislature and opposition yet? Are you even willing to acknowledge the Venezuelan food crisis? These positions keep changing, because you can't focus on them- you need them to be about the morality of the US.

That is sure a fancy way of saying "Having witnessed the USA rape to death every country it has intervened in, I need MORE"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pharohman777 posted:

So you are illiterate then, if you keep missing why the opposition has no power because you never ever read the many, many explanations we give, and the one in the op.

if you're going to accuse people of illiteracy, you should probably actually read what's being discussed. explanations of why the opposition is powerless are not germane to discussing the agency the opposition has at present

zapplez posted:

ah cool. an organization that thinks the UN is biased against israel. what's that got to do with the red cross though?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mackers posted:

That is sure a fancy way of saying "Having witnessed the USA rape to death every country it has intervened in, I need MORE"

"This is it! This will be the time our military invasion goes well, no civilians die, the country is transformed and everyone is better off! This time it will work! This time, and then those god drat loving peace-nicks will have to accept the US was never bad, and did the right thing all along!"

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Since the Mormons went against religious principle and surrendered genealogical documentation to the American federal government, I really don't want to see Trump do a dry run of his impeachment defense in Venezuela.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1101729334237249536

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hosed up that Maduro bullied that guy into self harm like that

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

hosed up that Maduro bullied that guy into self harm like that

Maduro's SEBIN working with the KGB/Red Cross probably gave him the hot shots.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can we all agree Maduro AND the opposition all need to be crushed?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Can we all agree Maduro AND the opposition all need to be crushed?

Cunts to a man. Half the population is not a price worth paying.

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019

"Took drugs"

The two men were poisoned and robbed.

Why is this idiot making up something about a story that is a week old?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thats quite the spin from the russia times journalist.

Why don't we repost the video of the "fully stocked" supermarkets while we are at it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol the joke I said is happening for real

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
Not even the dunces in Maduro's government are saying they took drugs. Delcy just yesterday said in a public statement that they were poisoned.

Guy is just inventing new propaganda out of whole-cloth, dutifully pasted in here by a useful idiot. Defending a dictator melts people's brains.

In other news, looks like Guaido will be returning tomorrow, and is calling for nationwide shooting of civilians and stealing from poor people as part of his coup.

https://twitter.com/jguaido/status/1102043638488477702

edit: Wait, hang on a second, I misread that. He is calling for protests that conform with the Constitution, not shooting of civilians and stealing from poor people. Phew, crisis just barely avoided. Can you imagine if that was actually happening? Wow, that'd be bad!

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Private Witt posted:

edit: Wait, hang on a second, I misread that. He is calling for protests that conform with the Constitution, not shooting of civilians and stealing from poor people. Phew, crisis just barely avoided. Can you imagine if that was actually happening? Wow, that'd be bad!

no one's buying it dude. Just realpolitik us we can deal

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
It's not clear from that message when he's returning. He said in an interview that he would return "before Monday", and a little while ago he said he would fly to Venezuela from Ecuador. He's in Ecuador right now, so it sounds like he's going to try to return tomorrow.

There's a lot of anticipation about his return because Guaido violated a judicial order when he left the country last week, so he faces the possibility of getting arrested at his point of entry.

EDIT: It's Carnaval this week, which means that pretty much everyone is on vacation.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 3, 2019

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Realpolitikers I can undertstand. Ok cool you are an amoral prick who is ok with suffering as long as it benefits you I get it

But being a dem who just tows the party line means you're just....loving thick?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

zapplez posted:

Thats quite the spin from the russia times journalist.

Why don't we repost the video of the "fully stocked" supermarkets while we are at it.

I think it is awful that anyone would want to starve Venezuelans.

Private Witt posted:

Guy is just inventing new propaganda out of whole-cloth, dutifully pasted in here by a useful idiot. Defending a dictator melts people's brains.

Watch your mouth, stupid.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judakel posted:

I think it is awful that anyone would want to starve Venezuelans.

You realize the PSUV has starved the most Venezuelans ever right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

zapplez posted:

You realize the PSUV has starved the most Venezuelans ever right?

I think it is awful that you'd argue for making it worse.