Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
:frogsiren:Bonerjams the Next One:frogsiren:

:synpa: I'm officially organizing the next synth thread album, which will be released for free on Bandcamp. (Clever title to come)

Rules:
  • You have to feature your oldest thing that makes sound (the one you've had the longest).
    • Edit: This can mean your "voice" if you really want it to, but I'm not requiring everyone with two cheeks to rub together to use 'em here.
  • You have to feature your newest thing that makes sound (the one you've had the shortest).
  • If neither of those are synthesizers, you also need to use a synthesizer.
  • You can use additional gear as necessary.
  • All entries are due at 11:59 EST on March 31.
The rules are intentionally worded to allow things like VSTs and slide whistles.

Submission:
Before the deadline, I need a nice recording from you that Bandcamp won't poo poo itself over. Just put it up on Soundcloud or Bandcamp with a download link. If you don't have those, generic file hosting platform is fine, too. Post your link in the thread, or PM it to me.

You can give me a stage name for attribution; I'll default to your forums name otherwise. Liner notes are also appreciated, especially if your song has lyrics.

You are encouraged to put a video for your song on YouTube. It does not need to be fancy. This took about a minute to make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5v3if_429k
Whoever makes the video I like the best gets a new avatar from me.

So Math fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

So Math posted:

:frogsiren:Bonerjams the Next One:frogsiren:

:synpa: I'm officially organizing the next synth thread album, which will be released for free on Bandcamp. (Clever title to come)

Rules:
  • You have to feature your oldest thing that makes sound (the one you've had the longest).
  • You have to feature your newest thing that makes sound (the one you've had the shortest).
  • If neither of those are synthesizers, you also need to use a synthesizer.
  • You can use additional gear as necessary.
  • All entries are due at 11:59 EST on March 31.
The rules are intentionally worded to allow things like VSTs and slide whistles.

Submission:
Before the deadline, I need a nice recording from you that Bandcamp won't poo poo itself over. Just put it up on Soundcloud or Bandcamp with a download link. If you don't have those, generic file hosting platform is fine, too. Post your link in the thread, or PM it to me.

You can give me a stage name for attribution; I'll default to your forums name otherwise. Liner notes are also appreciated, especially if your song has lyrics.

You are encouraged to put a video for your song on YouTube. It does not need to be fancy. This took about a minute to make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5v3if_429k
Whoever makes the video I like the best gets a new avatar from me.

Oh helllllll yeah

:gary: BUH-BUH-BUH-BOONERRRJAMMMZZZZ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm so down for this, if I finish my contract work in time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Now I'm sad I threw out that kazoo.

edit: I guess I can buy a new one and it'd be my most recent acquisition.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Looks like it’ll be Shruthi and WX5 for me. Gotta tweak that saxophone plugin I’ve been writing to make it into a sexophone :sax:

Is it okay to add other instruments as well, or should we stick to the two?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Word. It's not cheating if I use a monomachine and a monomachine right :v:
I'll also volunteer if anyone wants treatments to spice up their old samples since I prefer that to actual composing anyway (sample bank drug through my soup kitchen of stupid outboard) hmu

snorch posted:

Looks like it’ll be Shruthi and WX5 for me. Gotta tweak that saxophone plugin I’ve been writing to make it into a sexophone :sax:

Is it okay to add other instruments as well, or should we stick to the two?

I think the spirit of the thing is two sound sources whether that's a fully realized synth choir of modular or the aforementioned slide whistle. That's how I'm rolling anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i cycle instruments so much that mine is going to be a uke (oldest) and a jd-xi (newest). I can sing into the jd-xi so my goal is to use only it for the whole track.

the tanzbar is in da shop to have a knob fixed, which i wasn't confident in doing myself on such a delicate piece of poo poo

the uke was a birthday gift to me when i was vacationing in SE asia. it's an ibanez and it's pretty easy to play. I play it like a banjo. going to record this into a condenser mic

the jd xi is shiny but I don't know what I'm doing yet

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Love the Microkorg already, it's been fun getting to know how this synth works the past few days and is gonna be fun to learn how to use more of the editing features.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a lot of interesting gear seeing as I've been all digital since I started, so my oldest "gear" is probably synth1 :v: is it bending the rules if I use the first synth I bought instead?

Startyde posted:

I think the spirit of the thing is two sound sources whether that's a fully realized synth choir of modular or the aforementioned slide whistle. That's how I'm rolling anyway.

I think that's more fun, yeah.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So I initially thought the fender strat I got at 16 was the oldest instrument I had on me (I have my first guitars and keyboard at the parents’ but that’s far away), and then I realized that one of my harmonicas is from when I was 13, and then I realized that one of my decorative pieces is a hand drum I got from a family member in the Dominican Republic when I was 5.

Drum’s got a small crack on one of the skins but should hopefully be sampleable as long as I don’t go crazy on it- with my most recent buy, no less

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Your Computer posted:

I don't have a lot of interesting gear seeing as I've been all digital since I started, so my oldest "gear" is probably synth1 :v: is it bending the rules if I use the first synth I bought instead?

Yeah, I think there's room for interpretation here.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Would an EHX C9 count as "making a sound?" I know it's technically just an effect, but the processing is so heavy that the guitar is basically a controller for an organ module.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm having trouble deciding between my mouth or butt for my "oldest thing that makes sound". I came out of the womb head first, but legend has it I ripped a big one before I started crying.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's no way I can get to my old cheap 90's Yamaha keyboard, as much as I'd like to use it in a project once, so it's bass guitar and Model D. Which seems extremely doable.

e: it's at my parents' place. Not, like, in a temple in the Ancient Land where you must overcome the Guardians of Days Bygone to get at it.

although that's not far off in many ways

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 28, 2019

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My oldest I still have would be my JX-305 (only thing predating it was my D-110 module I sold long ago), and my newest is technically a Behringer VC-340, but since those are not actually shipping yet and they may not ship mine until after the deadlines, I’ll have to use the second most recent acquisition, my Prophet Rev2.
The JX kinda feels like cheating tho, since it’s a full fledged workstation synth that can more-or-less do whole songs all by itself with no other gear needed, so I’ll probably try to refrain from using it for more than the rhythm section just so that the Rev2 can have more room to shine.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Looks like it would be meeblip se (if I can find where I’ve shelved it) and Strymon Magneto for me. Neat!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

After The War posted:

Would an EHX C9 count as "making a sound?" I know it's technically just an effect, but the processing is so heavy that the guitar is basically a controller for an organ module.

I think that counts.

Splinter posted:

I'm having trouble deciding between my mouth or butt for my "oldest thing that makes sound". I came out of the womb head first, but legend has it I ripped a big one before I started crying.

I was wondering who would make this leap. I'll allow it, but I'm also amending the rules so we aren't all required to sing/fart.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The oldest thing I have is a bass but it doesn't make noise, so I might have to use a slightly newer bass. And I have TWO kazoos.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

ewe2 posted:

The oldest thing I have is a bass but it doesn't make noise, so I might have to use a slightly newer bass. And I have TWO kazoos.

It's wood isn't it? Mic it up and hit it with things!

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

My oldest/newest kit are both Volcas (bass and sample), which isn’t as sexy as other posters with their vintage didegeroos and custom modular whatsits but I’m definitely down for this. Brace yourself for some mediocrity!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At least you don't have to patch drum sounds manually if you want them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Time to actually learn my Sample!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Concerto for 25-year-old Washburn accoustic guitar and (I think) toy piano? I think I can do something with that plus a wall of pedals and some synths.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I guess I need to figure out how to get midi from the OP-Z into the Waldorf Q.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My oldest gear is a Microkorg XL, though I have replaced every single sound with a mix of a patch pack and my own concoctions, so it isn't quite the same Korg I bought ages ago.

My newest gear is the Volca Sample, which I think I'm starting to get a proper handle on, though I've been seriously considering getting a Monotron Delay. Though I might have to delay that purchase because I need to spend a bunch of money on my car in March so a tiny robot fart machine isn't a top priority. On the other hand my car only makes weird noises when it's breaking down and is thus worth less than a Monotron.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ewe2 posted:

So glad I just sold my lovely beginner bass like a week and a half ago so now my oldest equipment if I participate is the p-bass I actually like

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My work buddy claims to have a guy called geralds old 303, I’m gonna try to borrow it from him

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

FreudianSlippers posted:

My newest gear is the Volca Sample, ..... On the other hand my car only makes weird noises when it's breaking down...
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. How old is your car?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I honestly can't remember my oldest piece of gear. What do?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oldstench posted:

Use your voice/bod

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Oldstench posted:

:shrug: What do you have that you haven't recorded with for the longest time (or ever)?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So Math posted:

:shrug: What do you have that you haven't recorded with for the longest time (or ever)?
oh so I can use everything I own, cool

ewe2 posted:

If I might venture forth with a suggestion

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I might venture forth with a suggestion

:swoon:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
After another look around my very oldest piece of gear appears to be a digitech GNX3 guitar multi fx and looper from the early ‘oughts, so between that and the rompler it looks like I’ve got a full blown smooth jazz studio in my pants!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh so I can use everything I own, cool

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Plavski posted:

It's wood isn't it? Mic it up and hit it with things!

hahaha I was going to say that but thought it might sound weird!

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I think I wanna give this a lash. I have an old Yamaha PSS-780 (I had a 680 as a kid) that I'm going to count as my first instrument. Its so loving noisy though now. Anyone got any tips on making it less so, in terms of the signal coming into the computer? EQ isnt gonna cut it (see what I did there etc).

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

noise gate and bury it in the mix or in tape saturation. Good thing with software is gates are free and usually have lookahead. :v:

Dug out an old friend, similar sitch as stench as I can’t rightly which is oldest but I’ve had this one for absolutely ever

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Question. I'm still looking at the 88 key pianos because I happen to like those hammer action keys. I noticed most of the affordable ones all support MIDI through USB, but no actual old school MIDI ports for whatever reason. I guess they wanted to save a dime. I plan on getting the Crave and maybe some of those other offerings along the way. Is there a device that will take a USB type B out from these keyboards and dump it to a standard MIDI out plug that I could then in turn plug into the Crave/whatever? Or would I have to run it to my PC, then from the PC to the Crave?

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Yes! These are usually called a USB MIDI host. Here's the first couple I found searching online.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kenton-midi-usb-host
https://www.serdashop.com/USBMIDIHost