Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TV Zombie posted:

Can someone who's watched Hannibal explain The Black Deer imagery associated with Hannibal? The protagonist never seems to mention it to anyone and I'm curious as to what it means. I'm only up to season 2 but I'm not sure it was every explained.

If I remember correctly in the later parts of the season ( and season 3) the deer kind of transitions into a Wendigo type creature, a monster in First Nation folk lore. It's a human that turns into a monster because it ate human flesh, and eventually can only live off human flesh. <- -- No plot spoilers, just some imagery.

Also

Trig Discipline posted:

I believe the explanation is that Bryan Fuller thought it looked neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Finally getting around to Hill House. The woman who plays Nell is incredibly good at conveying emotions. I hope she gets more work.

The beginning was a little confusing because the first episode didn't even introduce all the children and then suddenly there's two more in the 2nd episode, but it's a lot to keep track of 10 young and adult characters (technically 12 with the father), so I get why. I wouldn't necessarily call it scary, it's more like a really tragic character drama with a ghost story backdrop. The flashback format focusing on a character per episode reminds me of Lost, in a good way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

sticklefifer posted:

Finally getting around to Hill House. The woman who plays Nell is incredibly good at conveying emotions. I hope she gets more work.

Looks like she joined You.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For the first couple of episodes i was definitely a little confused as to whether Theo and Shirley were 1, 2, or even 3 daughters.

I think the fact that Carla Gugino, Elizabeth Reaser, and Kate Siegal all look pretty similar helped sell that they were all related but also added a bit to the early confusion. Like the first time they had Theo in a club it took me a moment to be sure it wasn't Shirley.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
All the kids and adults are in the first episode of Hill House, but it is definitely confusing. Making all three daughters (AND the mother) be pale skinned with long dark hair was not the best casting decision. Everything gets a lot less confusing in the second episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it worked in that in that I actually saw a "family resemblance" between them. That's not a huge deal or anything but it was a cool little bonus that isn't usually there in TV families (for obvious reasons).

The time jumping format of the show can just be kind of disorientating at first and they never just introduce all the characters so it takes a moment to figure out who's who. But like, I don't think its really a criticism. I enjoyed the disorientating time merging storytelling. It just took an episode or so to "get my sea legs."

edit: And yeah, all the kids are in the first episode but if I remember right they don't put them all in the same room together for awhile so it can be a little hard to keep track of how many kids there are at first and which adults they connect to. A show more interested in making it clear might have opened with a scene of the family arriving at the house and just established names and numbers right off the bat. But I think it was clear Flannagan wanted us kind of disorientated by the storytelling to mirror the effects of Hill House on the family.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 27, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife started binging The OC over the weekend and...I'm actually kind of into it? I remember watching the premiere back in the early 00s with my siblings and we all thought it was rear end, and then it blew up for a few years, and now I'm coming back around on it. Also Peter Gallagher is one of the coolest TV dads I can remember.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

sticklefifer posted:

Breezed through all of The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell in one sitting, and aside from having a massive new crush, it's also easily the most original and unique genre show I've seen in a very long time and I need more of it immediately.

This is really, really cute. I am going to recommend this to my 12 year old niece, she is going to absolutely love this.

e: trying to get through The Gifted season 2, but oh dear Lord I must have repressed how much I loathed the mother character, and come to think of it, most of the other characters who are just flailing about cluelessly and making the worst possible decisions just to keep the plot struggling along. Also, enough with the backstory flashbacks already. Just bad, bad writing all round.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 28, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Corporate is amazing and I wish I had gotten into it sooner. Weekend from Season 1 is one of the greatest comedies I've ever seen about working at a office in your late 20s/early 30s.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

Corporate is amazing and I wish I had gotten into it sooner. Weekend from Season 1 is one of the greatest comedies I've ever seen about working at a office in your late 20s/early 30s.

It’s such a quality show. This season has been phenomenal, especially S2E02. That one really hit home about starting your 30’s.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Been going through the Shield with a friend and I forgot how much insane anti-vax poo poo was in it. It really hasn't aged well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm largely ok with that since its pretty clear Vic's a stupid rear end in a top hat looking for someone besides himself to blame for everything.

I mean it definitely wasn't written that way as far as the autism stuff, but it kind of works out that he's the exact kind of person who would be screaming about vaccines.

Maybe I'm forgetting it though. I don't remember any like clear "vaccines cause autism" stuff. Just mostly Vic and his wife being a mess about their kids and grasping at everyone who offered them an answer or lifeline. Which is probably pretty fair to a lot of the parents who buy into that stuff.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Jon Glaser Loves Gear on TruTV is amazing.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

This show is great. I thought it was going to be too dark or downtrodden for me to like it. I bailed at the start of season 2 of You're The Worst for example.

Corporate is like Better Off Ted's depressed little brother. I said that while watching season 1 and then the scientist from that show appeared in season 2. Are there any other newer shows that have this tight of story/comedy writing that I may have missed lately? This is the only one on my radar from the last 2 years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I watched an episode of Corporate and it was mostly just depressing watching people Not Care A Lot and Give Up and not funny enough to make up for it. But I don't work in Corporate so maybe it's not for me

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't work in corporate either. It just has nice tight written stories with a touch if surrealism in each one. I enjoy that sort of thing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
It's one of the shortest binges you could possible have at six times 20 minutes and Derry Girls was an absolute delight. Fortunately it had subtitles to make it possible to follow what was being said even though they made the colossal, unforgivable error of labeling Misrilou as that Black Eyed Peas song.

Wierdly I hope my favourite in the cast, Orla, does not get a more prominent role in the coming season as her expressions in the background are so amazing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CeeJee posted:

It's one of the shortest binges you could possible have at six times 20 minutes and Derry Girls was an absolute delight. Fortunately it had subtitles to make it possible to follow what was being said even though they made the colossal, unforgivable error of labeling Misrilou as that Black Eyed Peas song.

Wierdly I hope my favourite in the cast, Orla, does not get a more prominent role in the coming season as her expressions in the background are so amazing.

"Kamahl is knackered!"

You need subtitles for this?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CeeJee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3QSdLN27W8

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raspberry Bang posted:

It’s such a quality show. This season has been phenomenal, especially S2E02. That one really hit home about starting your 30’s.

Seconding this about s2e2. I started clapping halfway through and didn’t stop.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

CeeJee posted:

Great show.

Umbrella Academy was alright. I had fond memories of the comic but on a reread it’s like a worse version of the comic Casanova, also drawn by Gabriel Ba. So the tv series actually improved it a lot even though it could’ve been 30% shorter.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm about half way through The Widow, Kate Beckinsale goes to the DRC to get to the bottom of the mystery of her husbands death. Charles Dance is in it too, it's really loving good.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 3, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I was going to ask about The Widow so thanks!
Just finished Russian Doll (loved it) and started Umbrella Academy (so far so good).

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I'm largely ok with that since its pretty clear Vic's a stupid rear end in a top hat looking for someone besides himself to blame for everything.

I mean it definitely wasn't written that way as far as the autism stuff, but it kind of works out that he's the exact kind of person who would be screaming about vaccines.

Maybe I'm forgetting it though. I don't remember any like clear "vaccines cause autism" stuff. Just mostly Vic and his wife being a mess about their kids and grasping at everyone who offered them an answer or lifeline. Which is probably pretty fair to a lot of the parents who buy into that stuff.

We're up to Season 4 (God drat Anthony Anderson is amazing) and so far Corrinne has joined a class action lawsuit against the vaccine company, and her and Vic constantly complain about how the vaccines have ruined their kid. I'll give it a pass since it was awhile before people really found out how empty and shallow the anti-vax community truly is. I think it's just a harsh contrast to the actual measles outbreak happening now to see an anti-vax storyline given such prominence in the show. The rest of the show holds up amazingly.

So far my friends favorite characters are Lem and Shane, so I have that to look forward too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Maybe I'm misremembering, but just because a show has a couple of anti-vax characters doesn't mean the show itself is trying to send an anti-vax message. Especially when one of them is one of the world's biggest pieces of poo poo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Your Gay Uncle posted:

We're up to Season 4 (God drat Anthony Anderson is amazing) and so far Corrinne has joined a class action lawsuit against the vaccine company, and her and Vic constantly complain about how the vaccines have ruined their kid. I'll give it a pass since it was awhile before people really found out how empty and shallow the anti-vax community truly is. I think it's just a harsh contrast to the actual measles outbreak happening now to see an anti-vax storyline given such prominence in the show. The rest of the show holds up amazingly.

So far my friends favorite characters are Lem and Shane, so I have that to look forward too.

You certainly do have stuff to look forward to.

gently caress i wish i could see it all for the first time

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Am I misremembering or was :tviv: created for the Shield live threads? Especially that episode

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm not sure but the first time I remember seeing that one was in the LOST live threads.

It would certainly be appropriate for that Shield episode though no doubt

Holky gently caress indeed

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

pahuyuth posted:

I'm not sure but the first time I remember seeing that one was in the LOST live threads.

It would certainly be appropriate for that Shield episode though no doubt

Holky gently caress indeed

Which episode?

I saw part of the final season. Thought it was good.

Then I tried to watch from S01E01 but I couldn't get over how much I wanted every character dead. Like, immediately.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm hesitant to even spoilerize it so take care if you haven't seen the entire show but it's in S5

Shane drops a grenade in Lem's lap

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 3, 2019

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I made the mistake of watching Knightfall, which was so milquetoast that I can't think of anything else to say about it. I'm kind of shocked that it got renewed.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 4, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only way to save that show is to introduce Assassin's Creed stuff to it

The Shield was remastered in HD on Hulu but none of the other services sell it in HD yet. I want some god drat Vick Mackey in high def.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The shield is weird on the anti fax stuff because while you can read it just being Vic being lovely it’s hard to take anything from it as it’s just kind of dropped with no resolution either way.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pahuyuth posted:

Just finished Russian Doll (loved it) and started Umbrella Academy (so far so good).

We finished Russian Doll tonight, excellent acting and one of the best portrayals of drunkenness I've ever seen. The story could have easily become tedious but they kept it interesting.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Both then and now, there are people who believed (or were willing to believe) that vaccines cause and others willing to take advantage of them: selling them books or diet plans, taking their money for class action lawsuits, you name it. I think the internet has allowed the anti-vaxx movement to reach more people as well as be thrust out into the cruel light of day and the scrutiny of the public. I don't think it matters much whether Vic and Corrine truly believe vaccines made Matthew autistic, but they were struggling to keep their lives together and wanted to someone to blame (and pay) for something they perceived happening to Matthew.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Really enjoyed Killing Eve on Hulu. Some crazy plot contrivances in there, but I was willing to go with it because the characters were so interesting and the pace was great.

Umbrella Academy
- Kinda in the middle. Had some great art direction, loved some of the characters (Klaus, Hazel, Five), but it was 2x as long as it needed to be and had some really clunky parts. But parts of it were really enjoyable and fun, and it had one of the best laughs I've had in a while: "Maybe they're here for Kenny's birthday!"

Angie Tribeca - A lot of fun, especially the first season or two. Imagine a Naked Gun spoof of CSI Miami, with some huge guest stars and a crazy joke-per-minute ratio. A lot of groaners but definitely fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like Killing Eve check out Fleabag on Amazon. It's the same creator/writer and she stars in it. It's a comedy but it's pretty brutal.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like Killing Eve check out Fleabag on Amazon. It's the same creator/writer and she stars in it. It's a comedy but it's pretty brutal.

Speaking of Fleabag, the second series is airing on the BBC. If you can, watch it. It is glorious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ratatozsk posted:

Both then and now, there are people who believed (or were willing to believe) that vaccines cause and others willing to take advantage of them: selling them books or diet plans, taking their money for class action lawsuits, you name it. I think the internet has allowed the anti-vaxx movement to reach more people as well as be thrust out into the cruel light of day and the scrutiny of the public. I don't think it matters much whether Vic and Corrine truly believe vaccines made Matthew autistic, but they were struggling to keep their lives together and wanted to someone to blame (and pay) for something they perceived happening to Matthew.

Yeah, that's my take. You can interpret that part of it as Corinne and Vic being right about vaccines and autism but the show never really offers an opinion on that from what I remember. I take it more as overwhelmed parents of autistic kids freaking out, buying into the first person who comes to them with "an answer", and jumping at the opportunity for a potential lifeline. From what I remember they basically behave the same way with the school they try to get into or the at home therapist. They're so completely lost and scared about their kids that whenever a "pro" offers something to them they eat it up.

Which I think is probably a fair portrayal of how so many parents of autistic kids buy into that terrible and dangerous conspiracy theory.

But its possible I'm interpreting what I want to and that the show just kind of leaves it open for you. If you believe that vaccines cause autism you probably watch thinking Vic and Corrine are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Ishamael posted:

Umbrella Academy - Kinda in the middle. Had some great art direction, loved some of the characters (Klaus, Hazel, Five), but it was 2x as long as it needed to be and had some really clunky parts. But parts of it were really enjoyable and fun, and it had one of the best laughs I've had in a while: "Maybe they're here for Kenny's birthday!"

Yeah, I just finished this and almost every aspect about this frustrated me or was bad. The only parts I liked were the 3 characters you mentioned, and maybe Ben.