Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sephyr posted:

holy crap, that's a fine Mongolian horde. How did you start it and how did you go about it?

Started as Great Horde, which was really rough. I had to reset at least a dozen times to get it right. First move was taking out Ryazan to get feudalism, then grabbing Crimea before the Ottomans got the event that vassalizes them. Then beating up on the neighboring hordes and the Caucus states, and building up to take on Muscovy.

Hardest part was definitely the economy in the early game. I had to take economic and trade ideas first just to stay in the black. After I beat up Muscovy it was pretty smooth sailing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

I'm Ottoman Siberia

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Fister Roboto posted:

Started as Great Horde, which was really rough. I had to reset at least a dozen times to get it right. First move was taking out Ryazan to get feudalism, then grabbing Crimea before the Ottomans got the event that vassalizes them. Then beating up on the neighboring hordes and the Caucus states, and building up to take on Muscovy.

Hardest part was definitely the economy in the early game. I had to take economic and trade ideas first just to stay in the black. After I beat up Muscovy it was pretty smooth sailing though.

I did this a few months ago. Once you crush Muscovy, which is no easy task, the rest is a breeze.

I missed the form Golden Horde achievement by two weeks in game time. :-(

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I like Westphalia's color.

Granted, I pissed off Europe in the process of getting there. :v:

Austria's been in a PU with my best bud Commonwealth for 100 years

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just discovered that the decision to form the Mongol Empire completely hosed me over. Why? Because it moves my capitol to Qaraqorum. My original capitol was in Saratov, which is in Europe. This causes a lot of problems:

-Since my trade capitol was also in Saratov, it moved to Qaraqorum as well, which completely tanked my trade income. This is an easy fix but I didn't notice it for several years.
-All of my Asian trade companies are gone now. This is a massive hit to income.
-My old capitol was 50 development, so that I could get the age bonus. Qaraqorum is a 15 dev mountain shithole.
-I'm no longer eligible to get the Master of India achievement (conquer all of India as a European nation), which was part of my plan for this game.
-Most importantly, I can't move my capitol back to Europe because the vast majority of my development is in Asia, and you need at least 50% in Europe to move it there.

So, I'm thinking that maybe decisions that move your capitol should be an optional thing, like it is for decisions that change your national ideas?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Any thoughts on ideas to pick as Granada/Andalusia? I already have Offensive and now I'm looking at Religious since I need to convert some provinces for missions but part of me feels like it's a trap choice.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Religious is great for Grenada, if only because you have a lot of holy war you should be doing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Religious is not as good as it used to be but it’s still a very nice early pick anywhere where you have a lot of different-religion neighbors to invade.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Andalusia also gets claims on everything from Granada to Provence so the CB isn't that important early.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Fister Roboto posted:

I just discovered that the decision to form the Mongol Empire completely hosed me over. Why? Because it moves my capitol to Qaraqorum. My original capitol was in Saratov, which is in Europe. This causes a lot of problems:

-Since my trade capitol was also in Saratov, it moved to Qaraqorum as well, which completely tanked my trade income. This is an easy fix but I didn't notice it for several years.
-All of my Asian trade companies are gone now. This is a massive hit to income.
-My old capitol was 50 development, so that I could get the age bonus. Qaraqorum is a 15 dev mountain shithole.
-I'm no longer eligible to get the Master of India achievement (conquer all of India as a European nation), which was part of my plan for this game.
-Most importantly, I can't move my capitol back to Europe because the vast majority of my development is in Asia, and you need at least 50% in Europe to move it there.

So, I'm thinking that maybe decisions that move your capitol should be an optional thing, like it is for decisions that change your national ideas?

You also aren't a Horde anymore (even if you retain your Horde mechanics) so you can't get the achievement for owning lots of cattle/grain provinces. At least, that's what happened to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shibby0709 posted:

You also aren't a Horde anymore (even if you retain your Horde mechanics) so you can't get the achievement for owning lots of cattle/grain provinces. At least, that's what happened to me.

I did actually get that achievement, so I'm not sure why you didn't.

In any case,

That was a hell of a ride. First time playing to 1821, and definitely the last. The game just gets so loving tedious after 1600.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Shibby0709 posted:

It was fixed a patch or two ago.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Fister Roboto posted:

In any case,

That was a hell of a ride. First time playing to 1821, and definitely the last. The game just gets so loving tedious after 1600.

love those precious four days in between sabotaged reputations

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah the game mechanics just falling apart after the league wars really needs to be addressed.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Tried my first custom nation, a colonizing little powerhouse in the Spice Islands around Siak. Went decently enough at first, except now I'm basically pressed against a wall of Ming tributaries and getting really behind on tech due to institutions.

That, and without my usual presence in europe to cracks down in colinizers, both Portugal and Castile have already rounded past South Africa and grabbed every bit of land west of Madagascar.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I haven't really kept up with Arumba in a long time but today I found out he's doing a multiplayer game with Florryworry where they're both controlling Mongolia and they aren't allowed to tell each other what they're doing.

There are a lot of wars suddenly being declared and well, they have wildly different play styles so it is a lot of fun.

arumba youtube playlist

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

did they fix floory’s cave quality audio yet

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

oddium posted:

did they fix floory’s cave quality audio yet

Yeah, a discord or windows update (can't remember) caused his default audio device to revert to his web cam instead of his actual good mic. It's all fixed now.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Is there any other way to play besides world conquest? I feel as if I must kill everything, everyone, always.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

In any case,

Looking back at this and it still annoys me that there are specks of Europe in SE Asia. I decided not to bother with them because each one would have started a world war. Threaten War is hilariously useless even though I was 10 times as powerful as the 2nd greatest power. Like I've said a million times, it's not that I can't beat them, it's just that it's not worth the actual real life effort to do so.

Considering that Europeans can just buy provinces from Africans and Asians who are more than eager to sell them, it would be nice if you could offer to buy them back. Maybe for an exorbitant price, but when you've got nearly a million ducats, money isn't really an issue.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

BONGHITZ posted:

Is there any other way to play besides world conquest? I feel as if I must kill everything, everyone, always.

You can do what I do and lose interest in a campaign around 1700 and then go start another one.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

MrBling posted:

You can do what I do and lose interest in a campaign around 1700 and then go start another one.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

MrBling posted:

You can do what I do and lose interest in a campaign around 1700 and then go start another one while mumbling to yourself that this time youll play to 1821, goddammit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BONGHITZ posted:

I just look for achievements to target and play til they get resolved, and continue if I'm having fun beyond that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Azhais posted:

I just look for achievements to target and play til they get resolved, and continue if I'm having fun beyond that.

I think this is the right way to play. Missions help with some nations too. Otherwise, it's very easy to lose interest after the initial balancing of powers. If you've survived for the first 100 years then probably there's nobody who has the desire and the means to destroy you. WC probably means getting big enough by a certain date and after that it's boring. Never done this so maybe it's better than I think.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Right now I'm going for The White Elephant (own Burma and Indochina regions) achievement. And I've thought I've reached it like 30 years ago. It's currently 1630 and South-East Asia landmass only has me and 4 of my vassals. Up until a recent time I was a tributary of Ming. My rivals are Timurids and Ottomans, I can also rival Ming. Since I force-vassalized 4 of my vassals (there were more but they're annexed by now) I've beaten Bengal who was my rival (no more, got 2 vassals and 1 tributary released from him for me). Also mopped up Malacca a little.

Then I discovered a couple of things. My vassals had aggressive expansion modifier to me at... -230. Ming has it at -100 but I was a tributary and we had a royal marriage so it's fine. But then Ming decided to support the independence of my vassal Dai Vet and other vassals instantly turned rebellious because I and my few allies were weaker then Ming, even though Ming was friendly overlord. I tried to appease them but the modifier was something like +150% liberty desire. I couldn't grant Dai Vet independence cause my prestige was low for some reason.

Then I embraced Manufacturies and the hell broke loose. I became #4 power in the world and tributary to Ming instantly stopped. Ming turned Outraged. Vassals still hate me. Couple of years gone by while I tried to be in war all the time so that vassals can't rebel... But now in peace Ming declares war with Dai Vet. Rebelous vassals join. Me, Delhi and several of my vassals VS behemoth of Ming and my other vassals.

It's actually a very interesting end to the campaign. I might have overextended because my goal was an achievement and that's about it, I didn't care much about the general well-being of the state. Made me more focused, maybe less rational. The more rational thing would involve colonizing and capturing actually useful land with some income, not traveling around the worst trade node (though I moved my trade capital to Bengal node - I have Pegu and 2 more coastal trade nodes there, very strange placement - and now most of my land send money there through Malacca trade node which I do not control that well). So now I have a final showdown for the achievement. If Ming gets away and my vassals lose Ming support they'll be absorbed - even if this part will be slow and boring. If not then I'll probably have a very different future. The game rewarded me with an interesting endgame for my achievement, something like a better Total War game ending. Feels good.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

ilitarist posted:

I think this is the right way to play. Missions help with some nations too. Otherwise, it's very easy to lose interest after the initial balancing of powers. If you've survived for the first 100 years then probably there's nobody who has the desire and the means to destroy you. WC probably means getting big enough by a certain date and after that it's boring. Never done this so maybe it's better than I think.

Part of it is to eliminate key players early enough and having enough avenues to spread your AE. The last 100 years are super tedious with army and rebel management.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I haven't tried to deal with achievements till recently so my games quickly became tedious even though I had some fun finishing them. As I didn't have any specific goal it was all about securing my position and it always ended up meaning I'm a de facto world hegemon, WC would not be possible in the time left but the rest of the world combined can't do anything to me so what's the point. When you look at it from a more gamey position and see those non-sensical joke missions are actually interesting.

I wish Paradox would do something to make them available outside of Iron Man so that people without SSD or not willing to play Iron Man or most importantly people with mods would enjoy it. Like, allow us to still see those conditions and get satisfaction from their fulfilling even if the game doesn't send it to Steam and save it as a truly achieved achievement. Missions do some of that though, I'd wish they copied more of achievements into missions. Like that White Elephant achievement does not exist as a mission for Ayutthaya which is a shame. And the generic mission tree lacks some uber achievement-class missions. I think the game would benefit from something like that greatly so that you could start as any nation and go for hardest missions, like control every province of your religion, your super-region, be a #1 great power, things like that.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hey what are some good beginner nations? I've heard that what used to be the best has changed a lot due to expansions and DLC so I want to know what's recommended now.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ottomans and iberia - spain if you like the colonization game or aragon if you like the continental game

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lucinice posted:

Hey what are some good beginner nations? I've heard that what used to be the best has changed a lot due to expansions and DLC so I want to know what's recommended now.

My two suggestions remain as always:

Portugal for a chill learning experience, just ally Castile and be held in Spain's warm embrace for the entire playthrough and just focus on learning colonizing and trade and small wars

Ottomans for learning how to curbstomp your neighbors

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
One thing I think the game as it is currently needs to work on, Release Nations peace demands. I think it's a problem that if I were to play 2000 hours of this game and of those 2000 hours I have only see the hannover tag 1 time when I formed hannover. I think certain regions/provinces should be releasable depending on time period. I am pretty sure after some amount of time Transylvania disappears as a releasable nation for hungary, so I don't see why the reverse would not be possible. Maybe this is already a thing and I am just dumb and gay.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It is possible, just a case-by-case thing that has never gotten much development focus. Greek cores will show up by event around admin tech 20 for example, and it can be released from Ottos only thereafter.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when you create a custom nation you should be able to adjust the province development too. actually don't tie it to custom nations just make it part of game setup. thank you

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Oh also, add some special terrain provinces that have something to the effect of "narrow pass" and give even more harsh penalties to attackers. I think places like Serbia, or most of the countries in the alps as well as other harsh mountain ranges should be more of a pain in the rear end to attack.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

One thing I think the game as it is currently needs to work on, Release Nations peace demands. I think it's a problem that if I were to play 2000 hours of this game and of those 2000 hours I have only see the hannover tag 1 time when I formed hannover. I think certain regions/provinces should be releasable depending on time period. I am pretty sure after some amount of time Transylvania disappears as a releasable nation for hungary, so I don't see why the reverse would not be possible. Maybe this is already a thing and I am just dumb and gay.

I actually just saw Hanover form naturally in my current France game. Then again, I disbanded the HRE by 1480, so that helps.

Looking it up, the AI will never take the decision to form Hanover if the country that owns the provinces is still in the HRE.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My Ryukyu game had an all natural Mingsplosion that eventually had all other Chinese tags consume Ming entirely. Couldn't figure out why, my only warning was that Ming descended into civil war. Maybe they didn't smash one of the northern hordes before it was too late and triggered the Barbarians at the gates event?

In other news I'm still not great at Three Mountaining without Dharma. No CBing Pangasinan into colonization with the aim to quickly jump to Australia to take advantage of Trade Company regions is really expensive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Oh also, add some special terrain provinces that have something to the effect of "narrow pass" and give even more harsh penalties to attackers. I think places like Serbia, or most of the countries in the alps as well as other harsh mountain ranges should be more of a pain in the rear end to attack.

This is how terrain used to work, anything that wasn't flat land would reduce combat width, with mountains halving it or something like that. They got rid of it because it was a pain in the rear end to work around and made cavalry even more useless than it currently is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This might be a minor issue, but it really annoys me that my colonial subjects will try to colonize outside of their colonial areas, and that there's literally nothing I can do to fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone have any suggestions to improve EU4 startup time? It takes literally 5 minutes to launch to the main menu every single time (like first startup, having the audacity to click a back button in the single player menu, crashes, quitting a game and returning to the menu, etc).

Game is snappy once it's running, games themselves load fast, but there's this 5 minute lag every time the main menu is involved.

Every drive in my system is an SSD, 32gb ram, i7-6700, nvidia 1070. Nothing top of the line anymore, but I've seen people with vastly more terrible setups startup almost instantly.

Any ideas what might be taking it so long?