Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just finished The Last Days of New Paris and like the idea of the book but regret it wasn't really allowed to grow. A real missed opportunity IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I will resuscitate the thread. I recently saw that China Mieville has a new book coming out, called A Spectre is Haunting Europe. The blurb promises:

quote:

"In 1848 a strange political tract was published by two emigres from Germany. Marx and Engels's apocalyptic vision of an insatiable system that penetrates every corner of the world, reduces every relationship to that of profit, and bursts asunder the old forms of production and of politics, is still a picture of a recognisable world, our world, and the vampiric energy of the system is once again highly contentious.

The Manifesto is a text that shows no sign of fading into antiquarian obscurity. Its ideas animate in different ways the work of writers like Yanis Varoufakis, Adam Tooze, Naomi Klein and the journalist Owen Jones.

China Mieville is not a writer who has been hemmed in by conventional notions of expertise or genre, and this is a strikingly imaginative take on Marx and what his most haunting book has to say to us today.

This is a book haunted by ghosts, sorcery and creative destruction."

As much as I enjoyed October, I hope Mieville returns to fiction again soon.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Spoiler alert! the spectre is communism

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Oh, I also wanted to thank Hedrigall for the cool thread! I backread and ended up with so many tabs open about Mieville and fantasy fiction that led me to new authors. Thanks, man!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Nikita Khrushchev posted:

I will resuscitate the thread. I recently saw that China Mieville has a new book coming out, called A Spectre is Haunting Europe. The blurb promises:

As much as I enjoyed October, I hope Mieville returns to fiction again soon.

Doesn’t that require Mieville to climb out of his own rear end?
Cause now he is, like so many other authors, taking the path of believing that just because he is an excellent author, all his other views are excellent as well.

But based on his publication list (and I have all his fiction)he has really slowed down in his writing and his latter works have been more on the form of nice idea, less good execution. He has been unable to make the same convoluting and detailed plot that we have seen in early works, which makes me believe he is running out of ideas and how to execute them.
I guess it says something about political fiction that you can go from doing fantasy to writing that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Cool, the thread's moving again!
I still remember the first time I read a Mieville novel. I was eating a really greasy chili chicken burger while reading Perdido Street Station.
I did not finish the burger.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Edit: forget it

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 28, 2019

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Doesn’t that require Mieville to climb out of his own rear end?
Cause now he is, like so many other authors, taking the path of believing that just because he is an excellent author, all his other views are excellent as well.

China Mieville has a PhD in International Relations from the London School of Economics, specifically focused on Marxism and International Law. I get that he has written a lot of fiction, but it's absurd to pretend like he isn't an expert when it comes to Marxism.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

Cool, the thread's moving again!
I still remember the first time I read a Mieville novel. I was eating a really greasy chili chicken burger while reading Perdido Street Station.
I did not finish the burger.

Chapter 1: loving the Bug Lady

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Sampatrick posted:

China Mieville has a PhD in International Relations from the London School of Economics, specifically focused on Marxism and International Law. I get that he has written a lot of fiction, but it's absurd to pretend like he isn't an expert when it comes to Marxism.

If he thinks it’s a good idea how much of an expert can he be.

I can think of two different ways to become an expert on syphilis , but neither type recommends it to their friends.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Drone Jett posted:

I can think of two different ways to become an expert on syphilis , but neither type recommends it to their friends.

while this is a very good line and I am definitely going to plagiarize it, I disagree with your overall point here

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Have a scan of Cardiac's posts ITT, he's really not a fan of the leftism lol

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Lol at not being a leftist in 2019.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Drone Jett posted:

I wait with bated breath for your well-reasoned and certainly thoroughly sourced critique of Marxism that would rival the thought that goes into a dissertation.

"Enh what the gently caress you got a PhD in neurobiology? Look smarty pants, maybe don't talk about some brain stuff in your novels. I have Opinions that I got from huffing my own farts and I know what I'm talking about. Also using like art or some poo poo to talk about real issues is dumb and I just want more loving the bug woman."

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

I wait with bated breath for your well-reasoned and certainly thoroughly sourced critique of Marxism that would rival the thought that goes into a dissertation.

"Enh what the gently caress you got a PhD in neurobiology? Look smarty pants, maybe don't talk about some brain stuff in your novels. I have Opinions that I got from huffing my own farts and I know what I'm talking about. Also using like art or some poo poo to talk about real issues is dumb and I just want more loving the bug woman."

Dude, don’t get syphilis, you’ll regret it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

What's peculiar is that the most praised parts of Mieville's writing (the world and how the characters relate to it) are the ones most informed by Marxism. There's a sense of reality that comes from someone having thought about how this fictional society and its classes relate to its modes of production. When you're enjoying Bas-Lag, you're enjoying Marxism.

What's I find most interesting about this is that while Mieville has talked about "what if fantasy were inspired by Gormenghast instead of Lord of the Rings", his writing fits much more to Tolkien's idea of "the second world" than Peake's more Shakespearean style of a set and players in service of themes. (Tolkien gets more of a pass here than his imitators because his goal wasn't to create an authoritative text on a world but to create a modern Beowulf, i.e. it's less about the battles and more about the songs we sing about them)

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
October was definitely interesting but got a bit too into the weeds for everyone who doesn't want to be an expert on the topic. I'd probably prefer he focus more on (Marxist inspired) fiction because he's excellent at that stuff

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Drone Jett posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if you actually know what Marxism is.

Like it's a flawed ideology, sure, (so is capitalism) but you sound like an ignorant 1950's stereotype.

Also your syphilis example is dumb ; this is more like a doctor (i.e. an educated professional on a topic*) telling you to get a vaccine. And you saying that's dumb because of [??????].

*O wait it is. Cause he's a Dr. Mieville. While PhD's often get bit overly hyped as some magic people, they're legit people who have spent the vast majority of their life studying a topic. No you aren't going to blow them out of the water with your hot-takes. They had that thrown at them for several years by smarter, more informed people than you before they got anywhere near this. You idiot.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Drone Jett posted:

We already live in capitalist societies.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm down for more marxist content from Mieville and also specifically don't want him to return to Bas-Lag in long-form. The dialectic of history has moved on, etc etc. I want him to keep showing us new and different things.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As much as I love Bas-Lag and want more of it, I just want him to do more longer fiction. His short stories and novellas have been mediocre to decent.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Neither Marxism nor capitalism are really ideologies, HTH

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like it's a flawed ideology, sure, (so is capitalism) but you sound like an ignorant 1950's stereotype.

Also your syphilis example is dumb ; this is more like a doctor (i.e. an educated professional on a topic*) telling you to get a vaccine. And you saying that's dumb because of [??????].

*O wait it is. Cause he's a Dr. Mieville. While PhD's often get bit overly hyped as some magic people, they're legit people who have spent the vast majority of their life studying a topic. No you aren't going to blow them out of the water with your hot-takes. They had that thrown at them for several years by smarter, more informed people than you before they got anywhere near this. You idiot.

Dude, just get a penicillin shot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oasx posted:

As much as I love Bas-Lag and want more of it, I just want him to do more longer fiction. His short stories and novellas have been mediocre to decent.
yeah I've enjoyed a lot of his short work, This Census-Taker was great, but he hasn't written a novel in years and I want something meaty again.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Embassytown was the best book he's written so I want more like that.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Drone Jett posted:

Dude, just get a penicillin shot.

If you don't want to engage, don't pretend to not be a shitposter.

quote:

Neither Marxism nor capitalism are really ideologies, HTH

True, and neither is diametrically opposed to the other. Both had their basis in thinking about what would be the best possible mode of production for the most people possible in society.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

China Mieville pozzed my rear end in a top hat with communism and I LOVED IT

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Marxism is good so I'm not seeing the problem here, folks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Oasx posted:

I dunno I really liked Looking for Jake, Reports of Certain Events in London is one of my all-time favorite short stories.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Quandary posted:

Embassytown was the best book he's written so I want more like that.

Absolutely. I adore Embassytown, except for that one line about an alien with a mouth that is "a snaggle-toothed ventricle," a phrase that just ruins my day every time I read it. Uggh.

Microcline posted:

What's I find most interesting about this is that while Mieville has talked about "what if fantasy were inspired by Gormenghast instead of Lord of the Rings", his writing fits much more to Tolkien's idea of "the second world" than Peake's more Shakespearean style of a set and players in service of themes. (Tolkien gets more of a pass here than his imitators because his goal wasn't to create an authoritative text on a world but to create a modern Beowulf, i.e. it's less about the battles and more about the songs we sing about them)

The two authors I enjoy most are Tolkien and Mieville; it's hard not to feel conflicted...
From memory, Mieville views Tolkien's secondary-world-creation as an obsessive retreat from the horrors of the real world. Which seems like an unfair characterization of a dude who was orphaned at age 11 and watched all his friends get red-misted in the trenches of ww1. But yeah, both authors are obsessive world-builders, and Peake is a very different beast altogether...
It's interesting to look at how the two authors handle their battle scenes. Mieville does a great job mixing his "war is hell" in with his "monster battles are super cool," while Tolkien's actual experience of industrialised warfare is best depicted, I suspect, in those long chapters of Frodo wandering delirious and exhausted and terrified through the treeless smoking wastelands of Mordor.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Clark Nova posted:

Chapter 1: loving the Bug Lady

Lol

Giving Perdido Street Station a first read through. Already tired of the made up words and the use of "salubrious"

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Bilirubin posted:

Lol

Giving Perdido Street Station a first read through. Already tired of the made up words and the use of "salubrious"

I read it in the winter, let me see if I can recall how it goes:

quote:

As the weird, hosed up looking character grimly tootled his rusty rear end boat up the sludgey river, the nasty smoke and hideous, hulking presence of gross buildings pressing in on either side drove his mind toward one inescapable question: What if city, but dirty?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol that's about right

several chapters in and now that there are enough characters things are moving along better with less exposition. But there are still another 600 pages in which that tide could turn!

Definitely prefer his shorter form fiction

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I will be interesting to hear if your opinion changes, for me Mieville's writing style isn't suited for short fiction at all.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like it's a flawed ideology, sure, (so is capitalism) but you sound like an ignorant 1950's stereotype

Eh, a EU/Uk PhD is like 3 years. And a PhD is basically just the admission point to do actual science. Well, if you can call it science when Marxism doesn’t contain falsifiable hypotheses.

In actual literature, I don’t think mieville needs to go back to Bas-Lag. The iron council is easily the weakest part of the series. A lot of the fantastic images he paints are best enjoyed as ideas than describe concretely.
We see that in a lot of his other stories where he has no shortage of ideas but rather more issues with implementation of them in a story.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

lol that's about right

several chapters in and now that there are enough characters things are moving along better with less exposition. But there are still another 600 pages in which that tide could turn!

Definitely prefer his shorter form fiction

i was bored with it until around the time a conflict finally occurred, after which point i was enraptured......great book imo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oasx posted:

I will be interesting to hear if your opinion changes, for me Mieville's writing style isn't suited for short fiction at all.

scary ghost dog posted:

i was bored with it until around the time a conflict finally occurred, after which point i was enraptured......great book imo.

Good to know. I will definitely keep going because it seems a well regarded book and now that the pieces are being put on the board the exposition is starting to serve more of a purpose. I have enjoyed everything of his I have read so far other than Last Days so if nothing else I expect an entertaining story (with I hear a difficult ending--don't know the specifics other than "its a hard read")

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Bilirubin posted:

Lol

It seems like he picks some word and overuses it in each book of the Bas-Lag trilogy. I can't remember what they are anymore but I remember thinking at the time, like okay this is the word for this book then.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
What a puissant observation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Good to know. I will definitely keep going because it seems a well regarded book and now that the pieces are being put on the board the exposition is starting to serve more of a purpose. I have enjoyed everything of his I have read so far other than Last Days so if nothing else I expect an entertaining story (with I hear a difficult ending--don't know the specifics other than "its a hard read")

difficult might not be the right word to describe the ending —- i would use “bitter.” but i think thats one of the biggest strengths of the book.......its conclusion feels inevitable. bas-lag is a much worse place than embassytown