Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Roundboy posted:

wasnt there some mention a while (like a LONG while back) that Netflix and other dedicated streaming services use something special via their app, but plex and related are effectively using chome or similar web browsing interface, which is effectively limited in the amount of bandwidth its allowed to use on most smart TVs ?

Or am i horribly misrepresenting / remembering some topic ?

You're mis-remembering.Edit: Missed the Smart TV part. Yes, on some platforms (old WebOS, etc.) there's no native video player access for apps like Plex.

stevewm posted:

On the ChromeCast platform. When you cast something, the casting device sends the URL of a "receiver" application (written in HTML5/Javascript), that the ChromeCast downloads and runs.

That has nothing to do with how Plex streams to clients.

teagone posted:

Netflix content is specifically encoded and built for efficient streaming. Content you're typically serving up from Plex is not, basically.

This is it in a nutshell.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have an HDHomeRun Duo controlled by Plex but I’m having the damndest time getting the DVR to work. I set it up to record a show every day (Jeopardy) but all my episodes are like 47 seconds, maybe every now and then I’ll get a 10 minute one.

I turned off the “Remove Commercials” feature so it should be set for a 30 minute recording from the guide. Have plenty of free space. Any ideas?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
My TV, LG 65 e6, cannot handle EAC3 aka Dobly Digital Plus. Plex transcodes it but it transcodes so quiet that I have to crank the volume up super ungodly high. Any way to fix this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Boner Wad posted:

My TV, LG 65 e6, cannot handle EAC3 aka Dobly Digital Plus. Plex transcodes it but it transcodes so quiet that I have to crank the volume up super ungodly high. Any way to fix this?

Are they transcoding to stereo? Older plex client versions had a 'volume boost' setting for downmixing, but last I checked the newer version didn't have that (yet?).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

There is a volume boost option somewhere. Do that.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I hear GPU transcoding is not as high quality as CPU. Is it really that much worse? I’ve got a spare GTX 1050ti doing nothing in my second PCI-E slot.

My Plex box is also my main workstation and it would be nice if it never hit my CPU, a Haswell E3 Xeon 4GHz or my main GPU, a GTX 970 at all, ever.

But if the output on the GTX 1050ti is that much worse than the Xeon, or if the Xeon won’t even feel the difference while I’m playing Mortal Kombat or EVE or whatever while transcoding a couple streams, then I’ll forget about the spare GPU altogether.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Laslow posted:

I hear GPU transcoding is not as high quality as CPU. Is it really that much worse? I’ve got a spare GTX 1050ti doing nothing in my second PCI-E slot.

You can notice if you look or hit a super complicated scene or cut. Sometimes I get a tiny artifact block at random. Otherwise you can't tell. It depends on how min/max/goonsay you are about it.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Okay. So if I decide my CPU hit is actually bothersome enough(something I still have yet to determine anyway) I’ll check it out. Thanks!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Use a client that doesn't need transcoding in most instances. Hardware transcoding makes for a good backstop.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Real weird issue I'm having, maybe someone can spot something in my setup as to why this is happening. Have had Plex on different setups for... 7 years now maybe? Not had this before.

Library: Concerts
Set up as MOVIES and uses the Plex Video Scanner and TMDB scraper because most come from DVD/Blu-Ray and are listed as releases so match for artwork/info nicely.

Each concert is in a folder, except I also have a folder marked +WEB AND TV, which contains individual files of sets from webcasts from festivals/old bootlegs etc. This is the folder I'm having issues with.

I set these all up by hand with the name, release year, artwork and description with the setlist. Not the fastest of things, but hey.

Twice now, Plex has gone through this and changed the display name from what I set it to (say 'Boysetsfire - Live at Mainstream Rockest') to the filename (say 'Boysetsfire 2018 06 30 Muenster, Germany Vainstream Rockfest'). The sort title is still correct, and the Original Release Date is still set but not displayed. Everything else is as I set it, artwork and description etc. The locks are in place even though the title was changed.

It happens to the same releases each time, while some always stay fine. I can't work out what it's doing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I don't mess with stuff like that but forums poster teagone had a great post about how Plex wants you to deal with extra files here.

edit: misunderstood the question

astral fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 24, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, that's how I have my Extras set up for specific movies (and it usually works. Sometimes. I've seen stuff drop out for no reason or things within those specific folders be picked up as entire releases), but these should essentially be treated as individual items and not subitems of other things.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Could try creating a separate library for those WEB and TV concerts maybe? Name the library "Web/TV Concerts" or something to differentiate (but doesn't really matter what you name the library). It'll be cumbersome and tedious, but it might solve some issues since they'll be isolated files in their own media library.

[edit] I remember having issues with 1 or 2 of my anime feature films in my main movies library, so I said gently caress it and just put all my anime films into their own separate folder and library and haven't really had an issue since. I've also done this for my 4K films now too. Seems easier to organize that way. I've also considered creating a separate library for Director's/Extended cuts since people other than myself seem to have trouble finding where those editions are on my Plex server lol. I suppose I could make a Director's and Extended Cuts collection instead.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 24, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, that might have to be the only way to resolve. Plex can be so finicky about things at times, I went for ages where it absolutely refused to acknowledge external SRT files it had no problem with prior. Sigh. Like I don't have enough libraries as it is, ha.

And yeah, I separated out my 4K stuff too. It just makes it easier to keep track of more than anything (and I won't accidentally play a 4K film on a client that needs a transcode then).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lol, yeah. I have libraries for Anime Movies, Anime Series, 4K Movies, Movies, Bootlegs, Documentaries, Short Films, Special Interest, and TV Shows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

'Special Interest', eh ;)

I'm currently at Comedy (Stand Up for 99% of it), Concerts, Cult and Trash that I don't need infecting my main movies, Disney (all the Disney Channel Movies garbage again I don't need in the main library), Misc (dump folder for stuff which also doesn't work well as Plex never cleans up long deleted folders), Movies, Movies 4K, Training (Lynda etc stuff), TV, and Wrestling.

Collections really helped as I managed to reduce the amount of libraries, and kill playlists entirely.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

'Special Interest', eh ;)

I'm currently at Comedy (Stand Up for 99% of it), Concerts, Cult and Trash that I don't need infecting my main movies, Disney (all the Disney Channel Movies garbage again I don't need in the main library), Misc (dump folder for stuff which also doesn't work well as Plex never cleans up long deleted folders), Movies, Movies 4K, Training (Lynda etc stuff), TV, and Wrestling.

Collections really helped as I managed to reduce the amount of libraries, and kill playlists entirely.

How do you handle organize and browsing the wrestling? I have some older stuff that I use folder view for but it seems like it can be done better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you look at TMDB, I hand entered a ton of Chikara stuff on there personally myself a few years ago just to make it easier for my collection. Then I never ended up watching it.

Now I just have collections for NJPW, WWE, and NXT and they tend to be updated on there already so I just match the entries in and tag them as their collection. I really don't have that much Wrestling these days mind (it was on a HDD that didn't have a huge amount of free space which didn't help), but this seems to work well enough for me. Collection automatically puts things into release order by default, which is nice.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Any recommendations for android apps for triggering Wake on Lan with a plex server? I'm using an old desktop pc as a wired server, but it's chugging electricity, so I'd rather have it sleeping the 22 hours a day I'm not using it. I could just search the app store, but something like WoL, with wide permission requirements and a nerdy focused use strikes me as the kind of thing that has a lot of potential to download an app with hidden malware.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Any recommendations for android apps for triggering Wake on Lan with a plex server? I'm using an old desktop pc as a wired server, but it's chugging electricity, so I'd rather have it sleeping the 22 hours a day I'm not using it. I could just search the app store, but something like WoL, with wide permission requirements and a nerdy focused use strikes me as the kind of thing that has a lot of potential to download an app with hidden malware.

If they're always the same 2 hours, you might consider scheduled startup/shutdowns instead.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Do you have literally anything else where you can run arbitrary code? Synology?

Also this app has about the minimum permissions it needs to have to actually run: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.mrwebb.wakeonlan

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 26, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

astral posted:

If they're always the same 2 hours, you might consider scheduled startup/shutdowns instead.

Sadly, no. I work in a lab and my hours are different daily.

H110Hawk posted:

Do you have literally anything else where you can run arbitrary code? Synology?

Also this app has about the minimum permissions it needs to have to actually run: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.uk.mrwebb.wakeonlan

Nah. I'm trying to save money, both by limiting electricity use and by using hardware that I literally got for free.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bobulus posted:

That one that Hawk linked is the app that I decided upon just a few days ago. This is my first foray into WoL however and I wasn't able to awaken the one desktop I tried it with, and I haven't had any other opportunities to play around with it, but it's entirely possible the issue is on my end.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atomizer posted:

That one that Hawk linked is the app that I decided upon just a few days ago. This is my first foray into WoL however and I wasn't able to awaken the one desktop I tried it with, and I haven't had any other opportunities to play around with it, but it's entirely possible the issue is on my end.

It is something your computer has to support, it has to be enabled, and your os needs to not disable it. You should try it from a second computer first to verify it works prior to mucking with a phone tool. I forget if you need raw socket access to generate the right frame data in Linux.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Anyone else using stablebit? I just discovered it. Its pretty great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just had a thought for a feature I would really like, ability to set up videos that are subsets of another video. Like them up so that they run from time A to time B and you can name them, make playlists etc.

This is for the musical numbers in kids movies so you can jump to them instantly and even have a playlist to cycle through.

I’m not in front of a pc right now to check my plex console but is this something that may already exist in some form? Got so many ripped disney dvds I would rather not have to chop the musical bits out and create separate files for but I will if that’s the only option..

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With Kodi you can do splits in the files using the .NFO, but Plex doesn't read these in. Maybe editing the MKV metadata and using chapter points might be a halfway solution though?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

With Kodi you can do splits in the files using the .NFO, but Plex doesn't read these in. Maybe editing the MKV metadata and using chapter points might be a halfway solution though?

That’d be a good start if I can have them on the chapters.. Will probably clip the vids out in the end. If I set up a music library will it include videos in the folder?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cornjob posted:

Anyone else using stablebit? I just discovered it. Its pretty great.

Which product? I've been using Drive Pool and Drive Scanner ever since Windows Home Server died and it's been needs-suiting.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So I want to kind-of transfer a library. I've got my music library on my PC, being backed up to a NAS with a nightly rsync command. I want to point Plex to the NAS files, but if I just add that location as a new library I'll lose all the little date and cover art edits that I've made, I really don't want to have to redo all that.

Since I know the files all match exactly, is there a way I can change where Plex looks for that library's files without losing all the customizations?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

priznat posted:

If I set up a music library will it include videos in the folder?

I'm not sure to be honest, that's kinda interesting though. I have a specific library setup for Concerts / MVs, but never really messed around with the audio side of things due to my library being all on iTunes/Match which works fine for me.

Takes No Damage posted:

Since I know the files all match exactly, is there a way I can change where Plex looks for that library's files without losing all the customizations?

I did a library transfer the other day and followed the 'official' guidelines which is to

1. Disable deleting trash on the server (in the Library options)
2. Shutting down Plex
3. Making a duplicate of the files while keeping the originals still in place
4. Turning Plex back on
5. Adding the new location to the library share

It then saw everything as a duplicate, and then I removed the old location from the library and re-enabled Trashing.

It worked pretty good for the most part, matching up to my collections and the info that was there before. Had to hand edit a few for some reason, but overall it wasn't the disaster it can be when moving locations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure to be honest, that's kinda interesting though. I have a specific library setup for Concerts / MVs, but never really messed around with the audio side of things due to my library being all on iTunes/Match which works fine for me.

Yeah I use itunes music for my actual music too, would be nice to have the roll your own music video option in Plex though. Otherwise it’ll just be “other videos” type which is fine too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did a library transfer the other day and followed the 'official' guidelines which is to

1. Disable deleting trash on the server (in the Library options)
2. Shutting down Plex
3. Making a duplicate of the files while keeping the originals still in place
4. Turning Plex back on
5. Adding the new location to the library share

It then saw everything as a duplicate, and then I removed the old location from the library and re-enabled Trashing.

It worked pretty good for the most part, matching up to my collections and the info that was there before. Had to hand edit a few for some reason, but overall it wasn't the disaster it can be when moving locations.

I saw that post on their forums but I thought they were talking about just adding the new location as a new library. Do they mean instead to edit the existing library to include both the old and new location, then remove the old location? That makes a lot more sense, I forgot I could have multiple 'target' folders for each library :downs: Thanks, I'll give this a shot next time I'm in front of the server.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

FCKGW posted:

Which product? I've been using Drive Pool and Drive Scanner ever since Windows Home Server died and it's been needs-suiting.
Im using both of these. Need-suiting is right.

Drive pooling and scanning should be a standard feature of Windows/apple OS, IMO.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 1, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Cornjob posted:

Im using both of these. Need-suiting is right.

3rding.. Been using it for some time too. Its nice to throw in yet another drive and just get more space without having to change paths, expand RAID, etc... It just works.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Drive pooling and scanning should be a standard feature of Windows/apple OS, IMO.

Windows 10 has a drive pooling feature (called Storage Spaces), but it's not as nice as DrivePool.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Hed posted:

I have an HDHomeRun Duo controlled by Plex but I’m having the damndest time getting the DVR to work. I set it up to record a show every day (Jeopardy) but all my episodes are like 47 seconds, maybe every now and then I’ll get a 10 minute one.

I turned off the “Remove Commercials” feature so it should be set for a 30 minute recording from the guide. Have plenty of free space. Any ideas?

This is probably not really an answer to your question, especially with the extra cost. But Channels DVR (getchannels.com) works so well it has to be mentioned whenever DVR or the HDHRs come up. It's weird how much better it is than Silicondusts own software.

Hopefully Plex will get there eventually, as I'd much prefer an all in one, but the difference in performance and ui still has me justifying the price and separate app.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there any way to tell Plex to select AC3/EAC3 5.1 as the preferred audio track?

and not sure if it was answered earlier but the Audio Boost for stereo setups is still there. Its in the settings menu on the client, under Audio > Volume Boost. its a bit vague but if you look at the same setting on the web interface for your server or PC it will tell you its for boosting audio when down mixing to stereo.

I went with Small and it seems appropriate.

my server version is 3.89.2 (on a readyNAS RN204) and my TV is running Plex for LG 3.88.0

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Laserface posted:

is there any way to tell Plex to select AC3/EAC3 5.1 as the preferred audio track?

Not in the Plex software, not to my knowledge. However, you can remux the video file using mkvtoolnix and flag the AC3/EAC3 stream as the default audio track so Plex will select that one first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I bought a yearly Plex pass but when I log into the webUI I still see the "Go Premium" button. Did something not apply or does it take a day or two?