Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there a non-custom iteration of a PCB standoff that has a perpendicular mounting hole at the bottom? The best example I could find was this:

https://ever-hardware.com/custom-standoffs-brass-male-female-pcb.html

...but it feels like the sort of thing that has a jargony term associated, and my fumbling around in google is not helping.

Basically: I want to secure three different sized PCB's in a case by using long threaded rods going horizontally from end to end. That way, I can make sure the PCB's line up without having to cut a bunch of acrylic to mount each separately (which also increases weight, though that's not a huge concern). I could probably do some weird stuff with glue or something, but I feel like someone must've had this idea before.

EDIT: do people just use really small L-brackets? Maybe I'm overthinking this.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Quick question: I'm doing a full scan on a failing HDD, and the bad blocks are being detected towards at end of the scan; does this mean towards the outer or inner radius? I think it's the latter, unless some drives start writing at the inner edge instead.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Good news, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 are being renamed a second time for marketing reasons!

The timeline:
USB 3.0 -> USB 3.1 Gen1 -> USB 3.2 Gen1
USB 3.1 -> USB 3.1 Gen2 -> USB 3.2 Gen2
USB 3.2 -> USB 3.2 Gen2x2

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Woulnd't want people to be able to figure out that they're buying obsolete crap before it's too late.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lambert posted:

Good news, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 are being renamed a second time for marketing reasons!

The timeline:

What the gently caress

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Atomizer posted:

Quick question: I'm doing a full scan on a failing HDD, and the bad blocks are being detected towards at end of the scan; does this mean towards the outer or inner radius? I think it's the latter, unless some drives start writing at the inner edge instead.

Inner sounds right to me too. The outer edge would pass more data by the heads in a given amount of time with constant angular velocity (ie drive spins at one speed) so would be faster, so that's where you'd write your data to in preference. Leave that slow inner radius unused for as long as possible.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Is there a flow chart I can use to figure out which version of usb I have

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lambert posted:

The timeline:

I'm not on enough drugs

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

LethalGeek posted:

I'm not on enough drugs

They sure are.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ok i was actually on drugs last night and didnt understand it and now that i am perfectly sober i must admit, i do not understand it

does that mean that regular old usb 3.0 is now usb 3.2?

E: wait no, its usb 3.2 rev 1?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

HalloKitty posted:

What the gently caress

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Who gives a poo poo? Just stop making stuff with USB-A and B. Why isn’t everything C yet, you stupid lazy hardware manufacturers?

Nobody gives a gently caress about transfer rates, they just want to plug their poo poo in without flipping the plug 3 or 4 times.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Statutory Ape posted:

ok i was actually on drugs last night and didnt understand it and now that i am perfectly sober i must admit, i do not understand it

does that mean that regular old usb 3.0 is now usb 3.2?

E: wait no, its usb 3.2 rev 1?

Yes, USB 3.0 - which used to be USB 3.1 Gen1 for a while - is now USB 3.2 Gen1. The new USB 3.2 is USB 3.2 Gen2x2

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Lambert posted:

Yes, USB 3.0 - which used to be USB 3.1 Gen1 for a while - is now USB 3.2 Gen1. The new USB 3.2 is USB 3.2 Gen2x2

By all rights USB 3.0 should be USB 3.2 Gen -1

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What the gently caress ever happened to 4.0 did anybody consider just using that

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's just like how HDMI cables aren't allowed to say which version number they are, but instead have to list their capabilities: a tactic to confuse customers into buying obsolete crap.
If they had a clear and logical progression of versions people would only want to buy the latest. But by making it ridiculously nebulous and shuffling the numbers occasionally, you can trick people into buying garbage tier USB 3.0 stuff again.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Even my Ethernet cables have version info, I hate that I might as well throw out old HDMI cables because of the hassle of remembering their throughput.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh right, I forgot about that extremely consumer-hostile aspect of it. Thanks for reminding me, ufarn. :suicide:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

why arent HDMI cables allowed to indicate their uh...power level

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

why arent HDMI cables allowed to indicate their uh...power level

Because the HDMI guidelines specifically ban it to maximize customer confusion.

A lot of the features are optional so listing all the features a cable has means they can't say it's the latest version while not supporting the full feature set, but on the other hand it becomes impossible to figure out if an older cable is still a good one or not without trial and error.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

so basically they manufactured literal billions of these cables and they just want people to keep buying new ones forever

i mean i get it but god drat there should be an actual standard and consumers should be aware of it.

im going to write a letter to my county's magistrate of weights & measures

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Seriously, wtf is this poo poo? It never occurred to me that that's why this poo poo is so obscure. On the scale of things it's a minor travesty I know but oooooh learning about stuff like this makes me downright incensed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Laslow posted:

Who gives a poo poo? Just stop making stuff with USB-A and B. Why isn’t everything C yet, you stupid lazy hardware manufacturers?

Blame the same people they designed USB-B ports for - the ones who need a physically different connector to avoid confusion over which end connects where.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Geoj posted:

The same people they designed USB-B ports for - the ones who need a physically different connector to avoid confusion over which end connects where.

I once saw a USB Type-B connector shoved into an Ethernet port (the other end was plugged in to a Type-A port in the back of the same computer).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

I once saw a USB Type-B connector shoved into an Ethernet port (the other end was plugged in to a Type-A port in the back of the same computer).

Wait you can use USB cables for Ethernet now?!??! BRB gonna try this....

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

They're universal!!!

You can use them for ANYTHING!!! that fits

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

What the gently caress ever happened to 4.0 did anybody consider just using that

That also gets us closer to version 4.20.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Would a soundcard question go in here? I'm trying to figure out if the integrated audio on a Z390 Aorus Pro board is better, worse, or the same as a Soundblaster Z. It's sort of looking like 'who cares'

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Unless you need special features like the optical input the Z has (to connect a console, for example), there's pretty much no need for a dedicated soundcard these days. Virtual headphone surround used to be a distinguishing factor for me, but Windows has that functionality built-in now (Windows Sonic as the default and Dolby Headphone optionally through the "Dolby Access" app in the store).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know if there are any stores that sell those electric air pressure cleaner things within EU? I don't know what the right term to search for is which makes it a little tricky as well.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ufarn posted:

Anyone know if there are any stores that sell those electric air pressure cleaner things within EU? I don't know what the right term to search for is which makes it a little tricky as well.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.de/IT-Dusters-Co...ds=compucleaner

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yep, something like that. It comes and goes in stock, and I've only ever found that brand. I think there's another version with more sensitive settings for internal hardware components from the same company I saw a while back.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The linked one is the more expensive one with two settings, the cheaper one is found here: https://www.amazon.de/Dusters-Compu...9Z43XTDH9GFQVCE

I have the dual setting one: Both levels are more powerful than a regular can of air duster, which is pretty good for cleaning out PCs. But you should hold fans you're cleaning, as letting them spin has the potential for wearing out the ball bearing. I'm very happy with it and would buy the CompuCleaner again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've got an external drive (WD Elements 3tb) that is saying it needs to be formatted.

I ran check disk which repaired some errors and it's now visible in explorer but I can't open it - it shows as 0 capacity. I can use easeUS partition manager to explore the contents but not open/copy files.

Any chance I can get it accessible and backed up to a new disk? It's only about 1tb full.

Am I better off taking it out of the case and using a known good enclosure? I remember some of these retail external disks using encryption and thus not working outside their enclosure.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

The timeline:

The Dutch Hardware.info site asked USB-IF wtf their deal was and got a reply:

USB Implementers Forum posted:

The decision to have the USB 3.2 Specification absorb all prior 3.x specifications is one that was taken to simplify the design process for developers by having all three possible 3.2 data transfer rates defined in a single technical reference document. It also helps facilitate that SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps solutions are backward compatible with SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps and SuperSpeed USB.

The USB specifications target product developers, not end users or consumers. USB 3.x is a series of technical specifications that originally defined and extends SuperSpeed USB technology over a sequence of three performance steps: the original USB 3.0 specification introduced SuperSpeed USB @ 5 Gbps, the USB 3.1 specification added SuperSpeed USB @ 10 Gbps, and the USB 3.2 specification added SuperSpeed USB @ 20 Gbps.

From a compliance and logo perspective, ‘SuperSpeed USB’ is intended as the recognizable consumer name for the technology and as performance increased over time, we augmented that naming to include speed, i.e. SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps and SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps. For consumers, this is the only distinction that should be needed to address USB speed at the product port/connector and over a cable. Any of the internal details of the technical specification aren’t intended to be used with consumers, nor do we intend that the specification version numbering (3.0, 3.1, etc.) be used for this purpose. That said, many product vendors do choose to use version numbering even if it is not our recommendation that they do so.

Finally, we aren’t insensitive to the concerns that have been raised by all of this. Complicating matters, with the wide range of USB features and performance combined with the wide range of platform and product types, we can’t simply dictate that all products be identical in features and performance whereas we do encourage that product developers provide an appropriate experience matching the expected use of their products so that users are less dependent on labeling. We are constantly reviewing the overall branding and logo approach, and we are exploring some improvements to target overall simplification. Hopefully you have already learned about the USB Charger logo program and its model to help simplify and inform end users as to the capabilities of the new certified USB Chargers and Fast Chargers.

We work to educate consumers on the appropriate USB marketing names through our Certified USB Logo Program, targeted advertising campaigns that point to our consumer-facing website (https://www.enablingusb.org), and overall media engagement. Note: Related branding, certification logos and icons will be announced when available.

So basically they're completely detached from reality up in their ivory towers and are ruining everything for the normal people.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The lofty ramparts of the USB cartel

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

loving :wtc:, I know that not all hosts support all features (especially with 3.1 and optional things like PD and Alt Mode protocols,) but we've been referring to USB by version number for over 20 loving years! Nobody says "low-speed" "full-speed" "hi-speed" or "superspeed" USB!

Oh and by the way, did you know that USB "SuperSpeed+" refers to both the original 10 Gb/s rate (USB 3.1 gen 2 a.k.a. USB 3.2 gen 2x1) and the new multi-link 20 Gb/s (USB 3.2 gen 1x2 and 2x2)? :downs: Because I'm totally looking forward to just saying "SuperSpeed+" without any knowledge of the actual transfer rates and trying to remember which thing 1x2 versus 2x1 is! Nope, just keeping everything as it was and not re-naming USB 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 would've been sooooo much trouble! :rolleyes: :jerkbag: :a2m:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm boycotting this poo poo

Parallel connections on LPT1 only from now on

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bring back FireWire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon