Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

About what time do new servers usually come online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Heard it's 12pm PST on saturday

Panther2103
Jan 7, 2019

Is it worth jumping into the new server if I have only tried EQ a couple of times in the past? Is it possible to solo or is grouping pretty much mandatory?

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Panther2103 posted:

Is it worth jumping into the new server if I have only tried EQ a couple of times in the past? Is it possible to solo or is grouping pretty much mandatory?

Everquest is still very much a grouping game. If you do want to solo, I recommend trying Phinigel server. Mercenaries are available on that server, and a mercenary is essentially a pet that will power level you. So you can roll whatever character you want, pop your mercenary tank, and proceed to go to town.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Add me tentatively to the Selos gang. It says it’s a casual server but everything about it seems ultra poopsocky. So yeah, screw life I guess.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

As someone who fell in love with EQ as a 13 year old in 1999/2000, EQ is all about the community. Interacting with the community and feeling the world come to life through the thousands of other players you meet in game is the whole draw. I’ve come back to EQ multiple times but unless it’s in a world populated with people it falls flat on its rear end. I suggest rolling a new character when a new TLP server takes off. You won’t regret it.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
As someone who is coming back for the Selo server, I do suggest making a free newbie and getting used to the relatively slow pace of gameplay and the UI again. I’m certainly glad I did, it probably saved me enough frustration to ensure I’ll have a good time once the server opens.

I still can’t figure out that master loot thing they added though.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah I can't figure out master loot either haha

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Master loot is one of those things that’s a pain in the rear end to learn but once you do you wonder how you ever did without it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Advance Loot are we talking? because that is the best QOL improvement the modern client brings imo and I love it so much.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh yea that’s what it’s called

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
One nice very new feature is the faction windows - can see all you factions and how many points you need to change.

Another older feature you may not know is selling all the contents of a bag in one go - just try to sell the bag and it will just sell the contents (it just ignores any no-drop).

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Nodelphi posted:

As someone who is coming back for the Selo server, I do suggest making a free newbie and getting used to the relatively slow pace of gameplay and the UI again. I’m certainly glad I did, it probably saved me enough frustration to ensure I’ll have a good time once the server opens.

Definitely would recommend people messing around on Vox (the free server at the top of the list) or if you're already subbed, yeah phinny, in order to setup UI just to avoid doing that on launch day if you're itching for it. Will just be a lot easier to already have the basics again re-learned.

The advance loot window is well, select Always Need / Greed / Pass, i wanna say that's the "AN/AG/AV" first three rows. The next three rows are 'this drop only need/greed/pass'. You can always type /advloot to pull up the config, and black/whitelist items through the window. If you accidentally always-needed or passed something for example. I've also run into some groups that insist on a need all, so had to edit things as they dropped then.. reclick the checkboxes afterwards.

Some UI stuff if you aren't familiar, also keep in mind the ui folder now contains the default / old spell gems, so you already have those luckily.

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6417 a poster of our own makes this and it is the best imo

https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=4615 more familiar 'old' UI for lots of people

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Baconroll posted:

One nice very new feature is the faction windows - can see all you factions and how many points you need to change.

Another older feature you may not know is selling all the contents of a bag in one go - just try to sell the bag and it will just sell the contents (it just ignores any no-drop).

The latter is so drat useful when farming hill giants.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 3, 2019

Rajaah
Oct 7, 2018

Hoohah posted:

They removed Dying Blow. Thanks Dima.

Context Edit: Berserkers used to have an ability that dealt something like 2-300,000 damage when they died. You could rez a zerker, have them pull agro, die, and do another 300,000. Rinse and repeat until the mob is dead (load up all them box zerkers btw!)

Queue Dima and Citizen being unable to do anything in Underfoot until they realized this. Then they magically beat every event in the expansion.

They once fought Cazic's Last Stand for something like 2 hours just throwing berserkers at him until he finally died. For reference, this is a 20 minute event done normally even if you're loving around. Its like 10 minutes if you put effort into it.

My God. Who are the ad wizards who thought that ability would be a good idea to put into the game?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
berzerkers are a trash can that they throw terrible abilities into

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I kind of feel if Selo and Mangler would make a baby, it would be my dream server :
-8weeks unlock timers
-start in Luclin (or Velious)
-increased exp rate
-no focus items in classic (and anything else to burst the RMT economy)

My friends who i was playing with on Agnarr are really torn between the two, but we'll probably go to Mangler. Even though I have ZERO interest in raiding PoSky for the next SIX months :(

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
That's what most people I know were hoping for. 6-8 weeks on selo. 4 just feels too fast without it becoming a job. A small burnout or a 2 week family holiday will really hurt even with increased exp.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Tai posted:

That's what most people I know were hoping for. 6-8 weeks on selo. 4 just feels too fast without it becoming a job. A small burnout or a 2 week family holiday will really hurt even with increased exp.

Selo seems like it has potential for some real goony shenanigans with all the very serious guilds that are making a go of it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There's only two guilds, well tbh 1.5. Faceless are pretty bad from all accounts I've heard from former members and are likely to get steam rolled by Amtrak.

Not really sure what goony stuff you can minus training people.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
taking a two week break has nothing to do with the experience... you kind of miss half of an expansion

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Evernoob posted:

taking a two week break has nothing to do with the experience... you kind of miss half of an expansion

I just meant in regards to keeping up with fellow guild members/friends.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Tai posted:

There's only two guilds, well tbh 1.5. Faceless are pretty bad from all accounts I've heard from former members and are likely to get steam rolled by Amtrak.

Faceless on Agnarr were pretty well organized from the outside looking in. But they hd very little competition after velious i think.

sitcom bathysphere
Jun 7, 2017
Anyone have thoughts on the Official EQ1 Progression servers versus P1999? Namely, why choose this version over that one? Isn’t P1999 more nostalgic?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

sitcom bathysphere posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the Official EQ1 Progression servers versus P1999? Namely, why choose this version over that one? Isn’t P1999 more nostalgic?

This is the official eq1 thread, and kind of defacto progression server as a result, most discussion revolves around those servers for context.

I’m someone who played p99 for a good couple years both on blue and red endgame already. The appeal of the live progression servers is starting over again, when tattered leather drops feel like an upgrade and everyone else is equally in rags. I missed the chance to get time locked items due to lack of knowledge or time I could camp back a decade oh my god two decades ago now gently caress, so it is nice to start from scratch and build up a character.

Also the small few quality of life improvements (no actual corpse run for gear, some servers have improved exp rate, clickys in bags, etc) just add up to be more enjoyable than a 1:1 true to 1999 experience for me.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Instances is the biggest factor of why I TLP > p99.

I'm too old to be batphoning at 4am for my only chance at upgrades and to see content.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Yeah TLPs having basically blank slate starts and everyone clawing their way up is a ton more fun than trying to play catchup on P99.

Rajaah
Oct 7, 2018

darkhand posted:

berzerkers are a trash can that they throw terrible abilities into

Have you heard about our latest SoD disc BLOOD HATCHET? It's a DoT that does 160 damage a tick at a time when we're routinely hitting in the many thousands per swing. Also you have to be basically inside of the mob to use it because it's even shorter range than melee.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Instanced raiding is what makes TLP > P99 indeed. Every guild can once per week do every dungeon/raid. However the "open world targets" all spawn on their own timer, and there it's first come first serve (unless you get trained).

So there still is some form of competition, but completely getting blocked out of content/progress is barely a thing.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wonder how guilds are gonna schedule raid times on Selo since lockouts are half of what they normally are, which I believe comes to 3 days 6 hours. I imagine most will simply do a particular zone every 4 days but you can squeeze 2 runs a week if you have enough people with flexible hours. Maybe do a morning raid on saturday/sunday then an evening on tuesday/wednesday.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
They won't do all cooldows all the time, they'll do the one they are currently progressing on on every lockout, then fill in the rest.

Also there will be less interest in getting BiS for every expansion, as in 4 weeks a big chunk of your gear gets replaced anyway. You just need to gear up enough to be ready for the next expansion.

And collect all important clickies, obviously :D

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

PoFire twice a week for two months! :suicide:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Republicans posted:

PoFire twice a week for two months! :suicide:

Still rather do that than PoSky for 6 months... again...

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
And don't forget openworld - Could be doing it 9 times a week !

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Tai posted:

Not really sure what goony stuff you can minus training people.

I don't know the percentage of Amtrak that were RI but they've thrown in the towel and changed to Mangler. Mabbu put up some embarrassing guild recruitment post on the forums and had it blow up in his face to the point he's desperately reporting posts to get them deleted.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tehran 1979 posted:

I don't know the percentage of Amtrak that were RI but they've thrown in the towel and changed to Mangler. Mabbu put up some embarrassing guild recruitment post on the forums and had it blow up in his face to the point he's desperately reporting posts to get them deleted.

There were a few members in both RI and Faceless but it was mostly just to have a bit on fun when content on Phinny was in farm mode.

Dunno if going to Mangler is throwing in the towel. Mangler does appear to be the more popular server and maybe that's what their members wanted. I reckon if Mangler started in luclin, Selo wouldn't last long. Selo server badly needs more players though.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
I meant throwing in the towel competition wise, they switched to Mangler because it doesn't have any other batphone guilds to compete against.

Selo was never going to work for them and I have no idea why it took them this long to realize it. Mabbu is notoriously bad at raid splitting. He refused to even start doing it before Luclin and only started then because guild officers were quitting and joining TFC because they were tired of getting half the kills/loot.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 5, 2019

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
I said this earlier, but half locks outs and 1 month expac releases means that non-poopsock guilds have full control over what they would like to do in their 2-3 raid nights a week.

I would MUCH rather do Fire/Water 2x a week than have to slog through Air and EarthA. It also means, for example, in PoP when doing initial flagging you have 2x Storms and Carpin instances. And if my main gets flagged up to bertox or something on day 1-2, then on day 4-5 I have the freedom to flag an alt in a pug backflag raid.

I dunno if I explained that well enough, but my point is you have freedom each week to choose what you want to do, as opposed to having, "I guess we are doing Air cuz Time and Fire are locked" and everyone groans.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Funny thing is that the 3 day 6 hour lock out is in reality 4 days for most guilds, maybe even all. Amtrak and/or Faceless will probably do afternoon EST raids if a lock out is up. Raids on phinny were 5day 12 I'm pretty sure aka 6 days so it's technically not half lock outs in practice hehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitcom bathysphere
Jun 7, 2017

onesixtwo posted:

Also the small few quality of life improvements (no actual corpse run for gear, some servers have improved exp rate, clickys in bags, etc) just add up to be more enjoyable than a 1:1 true to 1999 experience for me.

FranktheBank posted:

Instances is the biggest factor of why I TLP > p99.

I'm too old to be batphoning at 4am for my only chance at upgrades and to see content.

Krazuel posted:

Yeah TLPs having basically blank slate starts and everyone clawing their way up is a ton more fun than trying to play catchup on P99.

These all make a lot of sense.
My main problem with the live TLPs is the “revamped” look some of the old zones, like Freeport. My nostalgia...n-no...
:negative: