Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't seen a tactics game that has anywhere near the level of mobility that Mario Rabbids has; it really does seem incomparable to other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sega 32X posted:

I've been wanting a strategy game to play independent of the wife & kid. Do I go Wargroove, Into the Breach, or Mario v. Rabbids?

Valkyria Chronicles, or Mario + Rabbids.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Andrast posted:

I continue to have no idea why people compare Mario XCOM to fire emblem.

because if yoshi dies then he dies forever

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

because if yoshi dies then he dies forever

Yoshi will never die

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Valkyria Chronicles, or Mario + Rabbids.

I'd say Mario + Rabbids.
Wargroove is really annoying to play in practice, although it's got a nice aesthetic. VC has that anime creepiness although I've only played 1 and 2 so maybe 4 is different!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Andrast posted:

More that it's individual character based rather than replenishable troops, though the skill trees are their own thing. But yeah, with its puzzle-style maps and emphasis on mobility it's definitely its own thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I'd say Mario + Rabbids.
Wargroove is really annoying to play in practice, although it's got a nice aesthetic. VC has that anime creepiness although I've only played 1 and 2 so maybe 4 is different!

Valkyria Chronicles pretty much avoids all the worst anime cliches, VC2 is the one that collects said cliches like it's trying to complete the entire otaku fetish set, and should be avoided at all costs. To the point that a big part of the marketing for Valkyria Chronicles 4 having the message "We swear to god, it's like Valkyria Chronicles 1 in every respect. We know how much VC2 was hated, and it's absolutely not Valkyria Chronicles 2, we promise."

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Andrast posted:

Yoshi will never die

So that's what people mean by a death tax.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

Dark Souls is just like Uncharted because they're both third person games, you change your weapons, and you travel through ruins.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sega 32X posted:

I've been wanting a strategy game to play independent of the wife & kid. Do I go Wargroove, Into the Breach, or Mario v. Rabbids?

How anyone is recommending anything else over Into the Beach is mind-boggling.

Into the Breach is perfect strategy. It's a game that shows exactly what's going to happen and it's your job to stop it from happening. Instead of deriving it's strategy from a lack of information or chance it's really up to you to solve the puzzles.

It's also very much "one more turn" and while I don't play it much these days there's a real risk of getting sucked in were I to try it again.

Given the options it's endlessly replay able.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Valkyria Chronicles pretty much avoids all the worst anime cliches, VC2 is the one that collects said cliches like it's trying to complete the entire otaku fetish set, and should be avoided at all costs. To the point that a big part of the marketing for Valkyria Chronicles 4 having the message "We swear to god, it's like Valkyria Chronicles 1 in every respect. We know how much VC2 was hated, and it's absolutely not Valkyria Chronicles 2, we promise."

VC1 had that Valkyrie lady with ridiculous boobs and outfit at least.
And then a character that died in a cutscene after a mission to rescue her which I always hate.
AND that weird.... characters who genuinely do nothing but are somehow huge in Japan so the DLC focuses on them thing.

Does 4 have that? I liked the idea and "Feel" of the game so I'd genuinely pick up 4 if those things aren't present.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Andrast posted:

Yoshi will never die

You just haven't found a hard enough jump yet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I spent more time playing Mario + Rabbids because after one playthrough of Into the Breach I had gotten the bulk of my enjoyment but Id say its a real good game and worth playing by anyone who likea turb based strategy squad games

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1102101367416676352

Happy 2nd anniversary inanimate gaming device. :geno:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat, 2 years and still no good games!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh no they're gunna try eating the joycons now aren't they

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

mom said it's my turn to lick the controllers clean

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Does 4 have that? I liked the idea and "Feel" of the game so I'd genuinely pick up 4 if those things aren't present.

It's definitely better on the fanservice front (still has a little but the one Valkyrie is much more modestly dressed and more of a character.)

Most of the non-central characters get slightly more fleshing out as there's now side missions focusing on them in groups of three (that overwrite one of their negative traits with a positive one or give them a new beneficial one) to give them a bit more personality.

The story itself is very very melodramatic and has a slightly more melancholy tone because it goes for a "war is hell that turns the best intentioned people into monsters" tone. A huge change is that rather being a ragtag militia unit you're a commando squad from the notAllies of the war.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I still haven’t been to a millennial rooftop Switch party, and I probably never will. Nintendo lied!

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
edit: sorry my dog get my ipod

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

It's definitely better on the fanservice front (still has a little but the one Valkyrie is much more modestly dressed and more of a character.)

Most of the non-central characters get slightly more fleshing out as there's now side missions focusing on them in groups of three (that overwrite one of their negative traits with a positive one or give them a new beneficial one) to give them a bit more personality.

The story itself is very very melodramatic and has a slightly more melancholy tone because it goes for a "war is hell that turns the best intentioned people into monsters" tone. A huge change is that rather being a ragtag militia unit you're a commando squad from the notAllies of the war.

You've sold it well, it is kind of a shame it's not set further in the timeline.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mario + Rabbids won’t be like Fire Emblem until they allow me to marry Donkey Kong and Rabbid Peach together.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Two years of mistakes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

Mainly because of the romance elements and the permadeath

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Mainly because of the romance elements and the permadeath

I mean, patting mario on the head at the base I build is fine, but dude needs to lay off because Im trying to produce a better baby for this story route.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ragequit posted:

I assume the Gold version of Mario Rabbids is worth $6? A Donkey Kong X-Com adventure sounds rad.

Where is this an option

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Andrast posted:

Yeah I mean MARIO rabbids has little to no incest

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where is this an option

For the current sale it's 20 for the base game and 26 for the gold edition.

No discount on the DLc by itself, sadly.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

98 more years and according to Japanese customs it will develop a sentient will and personality.

A few shareholders of the company are in fact 100+ year old Hanafuda decks.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where is this an option

He’s the extra character/campaign included in gold. Or the season pass if you already have the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Calaveron posted:

Yeah I mean MARIO rabbids has little to no incest

But it does have some

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

hadji murad posted:

It’s because of lazy western journalists trying to get clicks with weird Japan stories.

yeah, a lot of people in the west like to paint it as the bizarre cultural ways of the depraved orientals, but really it's the same material issues under capitalism that are effecting the entire developed world.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gripweed posted:

yeah, a lot of people in the west like to paint it as the bizarre cultural ways of the depraved orientals, but really it's the same material issues under capitalism that are effecting the entire developed world.

Actually haven’t you heard

https://twitter.com/noahpinion/status/1101899322176659458?s=21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't imagine anything I'd like to read less

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I've got a young nephew who likes to play rough, so my Switch has taken more than a few long falls and hits with no apparent external damage. However I was playing BotW and noticed quite a few framerate drops, seemingly more than normal. Is it possible that a console that got knocked around would actually have lowered performance, or do computers not work like that

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Ezzer posted:

I've got a young nephew who likes to play rough, so my Switch has taken more than a few long falls and hits with no apparent external damage. However I was playing BotW and noticed quite a few framerate drops, seemingly more than normal. Is it possible that a console that got knocked around would actually have lowered performance, or do computers not work like that

It’s possible a fan is not operating at full capacity, heatsink got slightly unseated, etc. I’m not 100% on the config of the internals but these seem most likely.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

xedo posted:

For the current sale it's 20 for the base game and 26 for the gold edition.

No discount on the DLc by itself, sadly.

In the UK it's £15/30, which seems unfair. Opening a US account and paying for it is fairly painless, right?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i can't believe millennials are killing babies now, what won't those
dastards do

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I blame Sealab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't imagine anything I'd like to read less

Anime? Yeah, same.