Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah seriously I don't see some over abundance of skilled welders and plumbers happening anytime soon. Like you said there's a serious shortage of people in many of these trades and many of the people in them are on the verge of retiring. The kids are still being told to go to college or they will forever be losers, even though many of the kids really shouldn't be going to college but rather going to a trade school. But things like "trade schools" and "community colleges" are still the butt of jokes for people and late night talk shows so good luck getting a plumber to show up 20 years from now.

And that's a shame. The Democratic party needs to stop making it seem like a 4 year college degree is the path for everyone. Quite simply, not everyone will appreciate what it entails, and not everyone is suited to it. The world needs plumbers and HVAC technicians too and if you want the proof, try getting your A/C fixed in Texas in the dead of summer.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Good luck being a pipefitter at 50 when your joints start to disintegrate.

There's a reason why people want easy office jobs that pay well and not hard, physical jobs that pay as much but come with the side effect of crippling pain and physical disability in middle age.

Democrats should own this issue. Transition programs for folks when their bodies aren't up to the work anymore, and good programs for unemployment and retirement, plus single payer healthcare all along the way. It's an avenue they don't use to their advantage with real working class folks.

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1102026306085109760

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

eke out posted:

also because i'm curious I went and looked this up, I'm not sure what time frame you're discussing but IPCC projects with high confidence some amount less than a meter (seems like the models largely agree that it's more than half a meter, but range significantly between .50ish and .90ish) by 2100

i'm sure we'll get to 10 feet eventually, but anyone reading this right now will be long dead by then - the bigger question appears to be what do we do at 3-4 feet towards the end of this century

here's the same region at 4 feet. it's easy to imagine the massive displacements it might cause but it's none of the "south florida disappears" talk

IPCC predictions are group-consensus on the absolute most conservative possible climate change, and are repeatedly being shown to have understated the problem.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Goon project?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

There's a reason why people want easy office jobs that pay well and not hard, physical jobs that pay as much but come with the side effect of crippling pain and physical disability in middle age.

What? We've been building our civilization off the bodies of people desperate enough/enslaved to do grueling labor and scorching the earth? And now people have wizened up to this fact and still fail to act? And society is bound to collapse in the not-that-distant future because of it?

:monocle:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

On the other hand white people without four year degrees vote like loving idiots so maybe we actually don’t need to encourage that.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Take that ridiculous Warhammer/game of thrones fanfic the book barn made all those years ago, find/replace until it is about trump, sell to CHUDs.

You’re welcome.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VH4Ever posted:

Democrats should own this issue. Transition programs for folks when their bodies aren't up to the work anymore, and good programs for unemployment and retirement, plus single payer healthcare all along the way. It's an avenue they don't use to their advantage with real working class folks.

I regret to inform you that the past 30 years of democrat rule at the state and federal levels have resulted in gutted unemployment/disability programs with "work requirements" and pensions in favor of predatory 401ks and other savings accounts. There's no coming back from this, the democrats are not the party of real working class folks.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

VH4Ever posted:

And that's a shame. The Democratic party needs to stop making it seem like a 4 year college degree is the path for everyone.

I don't see them doing this. What they're doing is saying everyone should have the opportunity if they so choose

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ogmius815 posted:

On the other hand white people without four year degrees vote like loving idiots so maybe we actually don’t need to encourage that.

Cool take, dude.

Given how many people finish off 4 years getting a degree in whatever whatever and then go into a career that makes use of absolutely none of the skills they learned in college makes it pretty clear that the ultimate purpose behind university education in the modern USA is (a) being a class symbol for people rich enough to afford it and (b) shackling people who can't afford it into impossible-to-discharge debt for their entire lives.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Isn't Florida even more hosed than this would indicate because a lot of the bedrock is limestone that's going to dissolve and/or become waterlogged with saltwater?

yeah, if it ever gets to this point (lol it will), seawater'll infiltrate the lower aquifer system and make South Florida unlivable solely due to that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a majority of college educated white people that voted in 2016 voted for by far and without question the dumbest person to ever even consider running for president.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Groovelord Neato posted:

a majority of college educated white people that voted in 2016 voted for by far and without question the dumbest person to ever even consider running for president.

Yeah and that number goes up if you factor in lack of a degree, which is the point being made.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
It's still tough active work, but honestly barring some fields like straight ironworking, technology has progressed really rapidly in construction to make the job safer and less ruinous on your body.

Just this week my team was replacing some fire protection valves from the 1980s. The ones we were taking out weighed in at around 450 lbs, and took an hour to break apart the ancient flanges and disassemble it enough to make it movable. The new valve that went in it's place weighed 116 lbs and installed in about 7 minutes with two quick groove connections.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Casey Finnigan posted:

Cool take, dude.

Given how many people finish off 4 years getting a degree in whatever whatever and then go into a career that makes use of absolutely none of the skills they learned in college makes it pretty clear that the ultimate purpose behind university education in the modern USA is (a) being a class symbol for people rich enough to afford it and (b) shackling people who can't afford it into impossible-to-discharge debt for their entire lives.

Any BA degree is going to give you a solid set of skills independent of the actual major. You will:

Work on individual and group projects against a deadline.
Do targeted research and present your findings.
Manage your time.
Learn new things with and without guidance.

That qualifies you for any office "knowledge worker" position. I work for a biotech firm with 14,000 people on the main campus. For probably half of those jobs a BA in Underwater Basket Weaving would do as well as any other degree, and an AA or trade school cert would do for about half of the rest.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/CPAC/status/1101915764414541828?s=19

This will again be immediately challenged in court but jesus

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Any BA degree is going to give you a solid set of skills independent of the actual major. You will:

Work on individual and group projects against a deadline.
Do targeted research and present your findings.
Manage your time.
Learn new things with and without guidance.

No this is what you have 4 years of highschool to learn as a teenager.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah and that number goes up if you factor in lack of a degree, which is the point being made.

Yeah and the fact that most people even with a degree still voted for dumb gently caress Trump means that maybe the main thing you rag on shouldn't be that these people lack the $50,000 - $200,000 piece of paper saying they are worthwhile human beings.

I worked my rear end off in high school to get into a "good college" and graduated with a respectable GPA and all that poo poo and the debt I took on from that has practically destroyed my life. If it wasn't for support from my father, a guy with an 8th grade education who came to America by overstaying a work visa, I'd be utterly hosed.

I don't feel like discouraging people who want to avoid that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1102292688345419779

This is hilariously delusional, even for him.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

And Sitting in front of a computer screen for 30 years will make you fat and damage your eyes.

It's almost like trade jobs don't exist in a vacuum. With strong regulatory bodies like OHSA to enforce good working practices, Universal healthcare to ensure that people get regular checkups and can get early warning to damage their doing, and having wages high enough that they wont have to be working well into their sixties, these problems could be avoided.

But I'm sure youd much rather poo poo on trades people and talk about how the Democrats cant do anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mean they out and out lied about what happened.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

God drat it Arkansas. This loving state.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Dumb conservatives and dumb liberals agree: they hate college.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It never ceases to amaze me that because of short sighted people in power and influence to make a profit they undercut the notion to have a country that takes care of its Citizens because by doing so will make both the country safer, more educated, healthier, not in debt, ensuring a better and capable workforce to contribute. There's this part of America that hates itself and spites itself and it's fellow man.

These idiots don't even get the concept of giving up a little to get a lot back. They even suck as overlords. The only reason they're doing such things is because they fear, either competition or they will be unsurped. It's sad.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ogmius815 posted:

Dumb conservatives and dumb liberals agree: they hate college.

No, poo poo-for-brains, it's not good to say that college is so super important when college costs a loving arm and a leg and there's currently a massive student debt crisis. College is good... if it doesn't bankrupt you!! How can you not understand this

e: besides I have a four-year degree in a STEM field, so surely this makes me a smart, good man? Or if I'm dumb then you admit the degree counts for jack poo poo huh

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 3, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/ZerlinaMaxwell/status/1102273193706958854

Except he's right and the delusional people are on cable news.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I see the problem here, he didn't wipe the flux off after he soldered the joint. Pretty poor pipefitting if you ask me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mass incarceration not being a race issue is an extragalactic brain take.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Which is why he will be on a true news source like Fox News.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/shelbyholliday/status/1102277514553118720

Roger Stone is just physically incapable of shutting up, isn't he? Though if his tactic is to switch over to self-deleting social media platforms as an attempt to go, "What post? I never made any post!", I need to grab some popcorn for how this will be received by the judge.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You joke, but Kate Miccuci had to do some sordid things before she got her job voicing Webigail.

NWS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXPcBI4CJc8

...Ken Bone?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Casey Finnigan posted:

No, poo poo-for-brains, it's not good to say that college is so super important when college costs a loving arm and a leg and there's currently a massive student debt crisis. College is good... if it doesn't bankrupt you!! How can you not understand this

e: besides I have a four-year degree in a STEM field, so surely this makes me a smart, good man? Or if I'm dumb then you admit the degree counts for jack poo poo huh
I think pretty much the entire thread is in favour of making college free.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Bernie Sanders declares he will fight for a constitutional amendment to eliminate the phrase of the 13th that states "Slavery is abolished except if convicted of a crime as punishment..." I think he'd be the only one to suggest it and it'd pretty much lock him down. Even Obama or profit-prison Kamala didn't or wouldn't do such a thing. Eliminate for profit prison, make sure the system and legality of slavery in 2019 America is abolished.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

mass incarceration not being a race issue is an extragalactic brain take.

Does seem to be the Centrist version of "Why won't they say RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM????" this cycle, doesn't it?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My wonderful daughter, not to be confused with my other, shittier daughter

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102295815794626560?s=19

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Demanding a price for imparting knowledge should be criminal. Quite the other way around.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 3, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gatts posted:

If Bernie Sanders declares he will fight for a constitutional amendment to eliminate the phrase of the 13th that states "Slavery is abolished except if convicted of a crime as punishment..." I think he'd be the only one to suggest it and it'd pretty much lock him down. Even Obama or profit-prison Kamala didn't or wouldn't do such a thing. Eliminate for profit prison, make sure the system and legality of slavery in 2019 America is abolished.

it really is insane nobody talks about it. it'd be insane even if a popular documentary hadn't been centered around that loophole.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

pumpinglemma posted:

Sorry, but buying into the elitist framing around "good" and "bad" colleges, the value of degrees, etc. has really cost me a lot in my life, so I'm pretty sensitive about this.

My college education and experience was extremely valuable, but gently caress, it was not worth the cost. People shouldn't be made to feel like idiots if they agree with that sentiment and try to avoid the burden that the cost of a four-year degree in the US can be.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I know this corner of the internet hates Greenwald, but what did he say that was delusional or even false?

edit:

Taintrunner posted:

"I was wrong, but I stand by my talking point based on the thing I was wrong about. Okay, see you tomorrow again on national tv!"

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 3, 2019

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah Greenwald can suck pretty hard but he's pretty spot on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

My wonderful daughter, not to be confused with my other, shittier daughter

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102295815794626560?s=19

Works so hard at what? What the actual gently caress is her job title and responsibilities re:America these days