Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The only thing I can think of that they were talking about is the mobile version of the game (which might be the one the Steam compilation has?) which introduced a bunch of typos for some reason.

Otherwise I can't even imagine a hyperweeb who would dislike the Phoenix Wright translation. 90% of the series is awful puns a literal transliteration would have destroyed the humor. The games are still some of the most charming and actually funny dialogue I've seen in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ryuga Death posted:

Finished chapter 1 of Higurashi and started chapter 2, all I can say is: what?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah I also consider it one of the best. The Ace Attorney series is ripe full of puns, popular references and relies immensely on localisms etc. The localizers manages to make the work AS funny in English without the audience needing to know a lick of Japanese. It is one of the most impressive works I have seen.

You do need to suspend disbelief to accept that California was overtaken by Japanese immigrants. But this series was never supposed to be a serious representation of society, so I have never understood why one would be bothered to the point of enjoying it less.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Meallan posted:

Yeah I also consider it one of the best. The Ace Attorney series is ripe full of puns, popular references and relies immensely on localisms etc. The localizers manages to make the work AS funny in English without the audience needing to know a lick of Japanese. It is one of the most impressive works I have seen.

You do need to suspend disbelief to accept that California was overtaken by Japanese immigrants. But this series was never supposed to be a serious representation of society, so I have never understood why one would be bothered to the point of enjoying it less.

I assume there was some absurdity in a super traditionalist rural village that's just outside of Tokyo intended in the original too.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I don't think it's supposed to be just outside of Tokyo since they do take trains to get there, but their over the top spirituality and very traditional/old ways were always intended to look completely foreign to a city boy like Nick. So yes, even there the localization ends up preserving some intent.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't say I'm really loving Episode 8 of Umineko so far, but some things like this quiz game is pretty cute. I could do without the scenes of Ange's parents forgiving Eva for all the horrible things she did to Ange though. I "get" what's going on, i.e. Battler is trying to emotionally manipulate Ange into ultimately picking the choice he wants her to pick, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mycot posted:

The only thing I can think of that they were talking about is the mobile version of the game (which might be the one the Steam compilation has?) which introduced a bunch of typos for some reason.

Otherwise I can't even imagine a hyperweeb who would dislike the Phoenix Wright translation. 90% of the series is awful puns a literal transliteration would have destroyed the humor. The games are still some of the most charming and actually funny dialogue I've seen in video games.

I imagine there's a least a small group of people who are annoyed just because they changed everyone's name and the setting and tried to reduce the 'Japanese-ness' of the original game in a way that you probably never see in a localisation nowadays.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Umineko episode 5: I'm not finished with this episode yet but Battler just got denied on his red truth from Virgilia and gave up. It seems every episode he goes through a mini-arc of "I need to never stop thinking, now that I know this it will be alright!" to stopping with the thinking and giving up. Battler please keep trying.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I reached a certain part in Umineko Episode 8, and it reminded me so much of this that I just had to do it:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ryuga Death posted:

Finished chapter 1 of Higurashi and started chapter 2, all I can say is: what?

Also, preordering is up for the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy on Steam. It's 30 bucks USD which doesn't seem like a bad value for three games. I saw a steam forum thread claiming that the localization of the Ace Attorney games is some of the worst in video game history. I assume that's just dumb hyperbole but is there any truth to the localization being poor in general?

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

I imagine there's a least a small group of people who are annoyed just because they changed everyone's name and the setting and tried to reduce the 'Japanese-ness' of the original game in a way that you probably never see in a localisation nowadays.

I feel like the difference is that you can feel that the original meaning clearly meant a lot to the translators and was on their mind for all the changes they made. Like in Japanese context a 20 something girl who eats ramen everyday is just someone who eats a lot of fast food. To an American a 20 something who eats cheap ramen all the time is depressing. Hence burger Maya.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

mycot posted:

To an American a 20 something who eats cheap ramen all the time is depressing. Hence burger Maya.

I don’t have any criticism of the AA games except the third one requires nonsensical moon logic but I really dislike how they do this. It would really annoy me if I bought a Haruki Murakami book and they had changed all the foods and places into American ones in order to make me feel more comfortable. If I play a Japanese game I want to play a Japanese game. It’s ok to make a game happen in Japan.

It reminds me of how there are both British and American English translations of Asterix books and the American ones (not by bell/hockridge) are sooooooooo bad. They changed all of the names. All of the jokes. They made Asterix terrible. Now if you want to buy Asterix books for your kids in America you need to look at who translated them in order to determine whether it’s worth buying.

Like, they localized the British editions for Americans. Why.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Be Depressive posted:

I don’t have any criticism of the AA games except the third one requires nonsensical moon logic but I really dislike how they do this. It would really annoy me if I bought a Haruki Murakami book and they had changed all the foods and places into American ones in order to make me feel more comfortable. If I play a Japanese game I want to play a Japanese game. It’s ok to make a game happen in Japan.

It reminds me of how there are both British and American English translations of Asterix books and the American ones (not by bell/hockridge) are sooooooooo bad. They changed all of the names. All of the jokes. They made Asterix terrible. Now if you want to buy Asterix books for your kids in America you need to look at who translated them in order to determine whether it’s worth buying.

Like, they localized the British editions for Americans. Why.

I normally agree with this, but not with ace attorney. One of the main things they had to deal with was how half of the names were all puns, and how do you get that across without changing the names? And how do you change the names to understandable english puns without changing the setting? A lot of their charm was in how those games presented themselves, and it would've been a shame to lose that for the english version.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 3, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I bet they wouldn't localise it now. The first one was released in 2001 which was ages ago, the only thing people knew about Japan was Toyota and Benihana. Anime was still being watched on VHS tapes.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I love the AA localization and Edgeworth. A huge aspect of the charm is the punny names and humor worked in the setting.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Reminds me that AAI2's fan translation is one of the best I've ever seen, it's drat near indistinguishable from the official ones and captures their style really well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

No Wave posted:

I bet they wouldn't localise it now.

And that depresses me. :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kanfy posted:

Reminds me that AAI2's fan translation is one of the best I've ever seen, it's drat near indistinguishable from the official ones and captures their style really well.

Did the Dai Gyakuten Saiban fan translation turn out good? all I remember about it is that it came our

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

voltcatfish posted:

Did the Dai Gyakuten Saiban fan translation turn out good? all I remember about it is that it came our

Only the first four cases are out, it is only 4/5 out. It was okay. Certainly not as good as AAI2, but DGS is really hard to localize. They decided to keep it in Japan and not change the names, but its not like a super literal translation without localizing puns and cultural references.

One nice thing is that they have a patcher for android, so it is actually pretty easy to legally purchase the game as well.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

No Wave posted:

I bet they wouldn't localise it now. The first one was released in 2001 which was ages ago, the only thing people knew about Japan was Toyota and Benihana. Anime was still being watched on VHS tapes.

Yeah, I agree. And it's charming that they have to keep it up well beyond anyone still doing anything like that.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

No Wave posted:

they didn't get translated until the DS releases in 2005, and by that time anime was more mainstream I think? it is an interesting question tho

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The localization is just about acceptable in AA because they don't really change anything substantial. Like they make no attempt to modify what is very obviously a Japanese shrine complex in T&T. For the most part they're just translating the name puns and maintaining a couple of previous weird decisions like hamburgers.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I have a question about a certain part in Episode 8 of Umineko: I'm at the section where you yourself get to guess who the culprits are for this new short game. It's pretty cool. My question is about Kanon. I know he leaves and doesn't show up again, and they SAY this counts as him being killed. But does this count as a death for the "Culprits can't die" rule? If so, then that means that since Kanon doesn't reappear he cannot possibly be a culprit?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm afraid you'll have to play FSN to find out what happens to people when they are killed.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

For the most part they're just translating the name puns and maintaining a couple of previous weird decisions like hamburgers.

I liked the games just fine (as did many others) but changing the setting was very confusing in a lot of ways. Despite its ridiculousness the justice system in AA is based on Japanese law and the way courts work in each country is completely different. I believe this is explained by the story taking place in the future?

I don’t remember the games clearly because I played them a long time ago, I’m not complaining either. But a game set in Japan would have been equally interesting and made a lot more sense.

The DS had some other weird localizations like Elite Beat Agents where a translation would have sold fine but they made a whole new game just for Western audiences.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have a question about a certain part in Episode 8 of Umineko: I'm at the section where you yourself get to guess who the culprits are for this new short game. It's pretty cool. My question is about Kanon. I know he leaves and doesn't show up again, and they SAY this counts as him being killed. But does this count as a death for the "Culprits can't die" rule? If so, then that means that since Kanon doesn't reappear he cannot possibly be a culprit?
That would be my interpretation of those sets of rules, yeah.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Be Depressive posted:

The DS had some other weird localizations like Elite Beat Agents where a translation would have sold fine but they made a whole new game just for Western audiences.

Which simply meant that many of us bought both Japanese games (you didn't need to know the language and the DS was regionfree) AND Elite Beat Agents. Best answer all around.

I honestly had the impression they made the new Western game partly because a lot of people were already importing Ouendan but this might be me overthinking it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ryuga Death posted:

Call me a wimp but I don't recall any VN giving me so many blood chilling moments of unease and discomfort. The slow start really paid off. This whole thing is reminding me of a Junjo Ito type story.

I've seen the TV adaptation, knew what I was in for, and STILL got unnerved by it. VN is just that drat good.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
AA talk: It was a hard decision but the right one. Usually when you localize there is no need to change settings which is why those changes can be over the top. In AA if you wanted to mantain all the name puns, weird accents and popular references you had to make them all english. And a bunch of english named people with american accents living in japan would be weird. When you take into consideration that the game only started to have off the rails japanese influence after the 4th one (that you couldn't hand wave away with being a big immigrant village) ... their decision is understandable.

What makes it the best though is how well the decisions ended working out. Like the changes to Klavier and von Karma making them european (and german!) Instead of american played rrally well into their stereotypes. I would even say that it plays a lot better than them being american.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Random thought about Umineko: Did Jessica's ashtma end up having any significance? It seems too random but descriptive of a detail for it to have no meaning.

I didn't notice any personally.

Edit v: Oh yeah I recall that now

Dessel fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 6, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Umi7: IIRC in episode 7 she reveals she was faking her asthma attacks as a way to extract herself from conversations she was uncomfortable with (presumably with her parents). Thematically it's yet another case of someone using 'magic' to make their life a bit easier.

It comes up a couple of times in the first four chapters, I think she uses it as an excuse to be alone with Kanon in episode 2.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I have a question regarding Higurashi regarding the reading order:

Just started chapter 3, but I know there's some console exclusive arcs according to the 07th mod. Problem is, the flowchart they provide is confusing to me. Just as an example, the Taraimawashi arc. Am I supposed to read that after I'm done with chapter 3 or 4?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just play them in the order they're released on Steam, which should be numbered (they are the ones that are on the left). The console/handheld exclusive arcs are not necessary to play to get through the main story and who knows if/when they will be translated by anyone. The flowchart you posted they also more or less describe the bins the other arcs fall into in the lower right hand corner.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Just play them in the order they're released on Steam, which should be numbered (they are the ones that are on the left). The console/handheld exclusive arcs are not necessary to play to get through the main story and who knows if/when they will be translated by anyone. The flowchart you posted they also more or less describe the bins the other arcs fall into in the lower right hand corner.

Many of them have been translated in the form of pc patches (in fact, only 5 remain untranslated).

Ryuga Death posted:

I have a question regarding Higurashi regarding the reading order:

Just started chapter 3, but I know there's some console exclusive arcs according to the 07th mod. Problem is, the flowchart they provide is confusing to me. Just as an example, the Taraimawashi arc. Am I supposed to read that after I'm done with chapter 3 or 4?

Taraimawashi, Tsukitoshi, and Someutsushi can be all read immediately after chapter 3 without any issues.

Note that I myself haven't read them yet, but I know that's how to read that chart.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 7, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's surprising, but I guess that just goes to show how little attention I've paid to the potential inclusion of those arcs from the TLers. Higurashi has always felt like an extremely complete story in the main 8 chapters and what little I've heard of the others did not sound particularly interesting, especially after how it all wraps up in Chapter 8. I will say that Miotsukushi did sound vaguely interesting to me, but less so than most of the reasons that get talked about from it and more that apparently it contains some heavy Keiichi/Mion shipping, which I was always a fan of in the main story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's some additional explanations in the supplementary arcs that I'm not a fan of aliens

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm fairly early in Umineko episode 6 now This doesn't really have anything to do with the current goings on but the thought just occured to me that episode 3 had that scene where Kyrie mentioned not being able to marry Rudolf for so long due to Asumu having a child, but apparently that wasn't Battler, right? So who???

I guess I'll figure out what that deal is eventually.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Sorry if I'm dumping my reactions in this thread.

Higurashi ch. 3: That moment when Keiichi walked into the classroom and everyone else is talking about stuff that happened without him there, that was creepy. I'm guessing there's multiple timelines of Keiichi running around but I don't know. Am I supposed to be trying to figure things out on my own here? It feels like the tips that get unlocked are exactly that. Tips for me to use to figure things out before the story eventually tells me, though there are a lot of things about chapter 2 that I'm still confused about. This is probably a dumb question but who exactly was on the phone and why didn't Keiichi ever bring it up again after the person on the other line started laughing like a maniac? I guessed it was Mion but the voice sounded distinctly like Shion unless I forgot a point where Mion can perfectly duplicate Shion's voice. Don't mind me, just rambling here.

Of course, I should probably just shut my mouth from here on and not just throw out baseless theories or guesses.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 9, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No keep doing it. Re-experiencing VNs vicariously through reaction posts is like most of the reason this thread exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

lets hang out posted:

No keep doing it. Re-experiencing VNs vicariously through reaction posts is like most of the reason this thread exists.