Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

HalloKitty posted:

Put it another way: would you think an overclocked Intel Core i7-6900K would struggle running 8 copies of a game that launched in 2004?

Is it EQ2? Because if so, my answer would be "yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrDork posted:

Is it EQ2? Because if so, my answer would be "yes."

... OK, I guess you got me there

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

HalloKitty posted:

Of course it will work. A 2700X might have lower single-thread performance, but it certainly isn't lovely. Zen was comparable to Broadwell, and Zen+ is marginally better.
Put it another way: would you think an overclocked Intel Core i7-6900K would struggle running 8 copies of a game that launched in 2004?

On top of that the game has changed immensely from 2004. The original Vanilla minimum requirements were an 800 Mhz or higher CPU. The most recent expansion has an i5 760 as it's minimum.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Otakufag posted:

Would a 2700x be able to nicely multibox 8 accounts like that or it gets hampered by it's shittier single threaded perf?
A 3570k with a gtx 660 Ti can run 5 accounts at once.

What I'm saying is, yes it can run 8 accounts no problem.

Whether you want to go with a 2700x or 9900k is up to you. I'd expect the performance difference is similar to running 1 copy of the game, but I'm not very up to date on current WoW performance. I just know some idiot who five boxes with that setup I described above.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 27, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel released a video on their Lakefield thin and light SoCs with Foveros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-besHp8HLxo

It does look pretty interesting, especially if it will allow the little cores to run and do background tasks at the same time as the Sunny Cove core.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just watched the i9-9990XE video by der8auer, what a strange CPU.

They essentially binned the very best i9-9980XEs and turned off four underperforming cores. It runs at 5.0 GHz Turbo with stock VID at 1.47V and all 14 cores bounce off the 110 Celsius limit three seconds into Cinebench using a (cold) 360mm custom loop. Seriously. 530W stock power consumption in Cinebench measured at the 12V connectors and the CPU is rated for 250W TDP. Zero overclocking headroom, in fact you’d have to clock it down to run it in a normal HEDT enthusiast system.

The CPUs will be sold to OEMs only in an auction under NDA because they don’t trust regular consumers with cooling, setup and stability. They must be very scared of 7nm Ryzen benchmarks?

The most interesting part is that Intel engineers insist that these voltages and temperature are perfectly safe for prolonged heavy use.

eames fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 4, 2019

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Why try to grasp at marginal increases in performance gains with multiple halo-tier products (edit: see also the W3175X) when merely just one will do? Is the frequency of harebrained product releases contributing to what all this "defending mindshare" talk is about?

The only theory I can think of regarding what's going on behind the scenes is that Intel had multiple R&D teams try to come up with different ways to "max out" the 'Lake architecture and we got multiple plans rolling out almost at the same time.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 3, 2019

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Not gonna lie, watching Intel squirm like this is kinda amusing, even after all this time.

Can’t wait for the I7-9999XE where it crashes under any benchmark level loading but is totally stable and fine for daily desktop use so long as that only involves email and word processing and Intel only sells it under NDA to the admin secretary market.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't wait to see what happens when AMD releases their new Threadrippers, with the go-to middleground model being 32 cores and say 4.5GHz+ boost.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
My favorite part about those new HEWS cpu's or whatever market segment they are going to create/pretend they fit into is the socket itself. Every reviewer I've seen has complained about the chip not locking into the board with anything other than the pressure of the cooler and when you remove the cooler the cpu just kind of comes out/flops around. Is that standard operating procedure for those types of chips/boards? In Linus' video where he unboxed a system that came pre-built from Intel themselves, it already had a gaggle of bent pin's prior to ever even turning the system on.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In 1U computers where millimeters matter it makes sense, but it seems strange they didn't redesign the retention system for desktop use. They already do it for the same CPU in laptops and desktops, the needs of thin rack mount systems are just as unique.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I fixed my old t42 laptop’s dead cfl backlight with the community made led replacement, and the pentium m isn’t ALL bad, imho??

it’s still not good but decoding video in hardware is for dorkos. and the think light has always been tops over backlit keys.

a laptop with both top and bottom illumination, the brightness of each independently adjustable to the point of being off, is the end game

so probably too good for this world

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

if it does exist I just assume the manufacturer decided to use a think nub pointer but somehow made it backlit with a laser that uses he laptops webcam to track the users eyes so that it can always blinds the compute toucher

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Holy Jesus of Nazareth, Thunderbolt 3 is going royalty free. Problem is, does this do anything actually given other costs plus the problems with USB 3.1+ and USB-C among manufacturers?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/thunderbolt-3-becomes-usb4-as-intels-interconnect-goes-royalty-free/?amp=1

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for USB 3.3 Gen2x2x1

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
USB 3.e^-i pi Hamiltonian(3^theta)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OK, dumb question, with USB-C 3.1+, why should we still care about Thunderbolt? Are there even enough devices on the market to care?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose I should have clicked on and read the article, since it talks about USB4.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Pretzel posted:

OK, dumb question, with USB-C 3.1+, why should we still care about Thunderbolt? Are there even enough devices on the market to care?

thunderbolt is still the only game in town if you want egpu. being able to pass through native pcie makes it much better for docking stations including chaining displays

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

sincx posted:

I'll take "every port and cable have the same features and specifications" as a huge win.
LOL never gonna happen

Cheap usb dogs dogshit vendors aren't going to pay for pcie

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, cheap USB-C cables aren't going to vanish, either.

eames
May 9, 2009

This looked like a huge win for computing when I first read it (40gbps pcie ports in all phones and tablets! yay!) but then I quickly realized it'll probably lead to a mess of ports with the same name, same look and completely different functionality. hope I'm wrong.

eames fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 4, 2019

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

eames posted:

This looked like a huge win for computing when I first read it (40gbps pcie ports in all phones and tables! yay!) but then I quickly realized it'll probably lead to a mess of ports with the same name, same look and completely different functionality. hope I'm wrong.

This is exactly what will happen.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

NeuralSpark posted:

This is exactly what will happen.

It is exactly what has happened.

USB-C is (or can be) used as the physical interface for:

USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.1 GEN 2, USB 3.1 GEN 2 SSGSS
Thunderbolt 3
VirtualLink
Displayport Alt mode
MHL Alt Mode
HDMI Alt Mode
Audio Adapter Accessory Mode

On the plus side, I think every port supports USB 2.0 as a minimum, and usually support 3.1 if they support any of the Alt modes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

those new USB names are impressively bad

Ice Lake having TB3 on package is Good tho

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lowen SoDium posted:

It is exactly what has happened.

USB-C is (or can be) used as the physical interface for:

USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, 3.1 GEN 2, USB 3.1 GEN 2 SSGSS
Thunderbolt 3
VirtualLink
Displayport Alt mode
MHL Alt Mode
HDMI Alt Mode
Audio Adapter Accessory Mode

On the plus side, I think every port supports USB 2.0 as a minimum, and usually support 3.1 if they support any of the Alt modes.

USB 3.0 is USB 3.1 Gen1/USB 3.2 Gen1.

Also, everything is going to remain a huge mess and getting a cable that supports what you're interested in needlessly tedious.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 4, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lambert posted:

USB 3.0 is USB 3.1 Gen1/USB 3.2 Gen1.

Also, everything is going to remain a huge mess and getting a cable that supports what you're interested in needlessly tedious.

USB 3.0 can also be called USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 as well, and also marketed as USB SuperSpeed.

This is not to be confused with USB 3.1 Gen 2 aka USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 or USB 3.2 Gen 2 aka SuperSpeed+

But SuperSpeed+ can also be used to market USB 3.2 Gen 1x2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 that are actually 20gb instead of 10gb (only 2x2 multi link mode, obviously you dumb consumer)

How could ANYONE get these confused, its clear as day!!!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 4, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's a USB standard, so it's not going to be right on the first try. They'll have to flip it once (or twice) before it sticks

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never had a problem inserting USB devices into USB ports in the dark, but my case has USB and Firewire ports right next to each other, Try fitting a USB device into a Firewire port for like a minute to really know confusion.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks Intel for letting go finally but, uh...

This is getting fixed, right...?

Yes it's called the Thunderclap :v:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

canyoneer posted:

It's a USB standard, so it's not going to be right on the first try. They'll have to flip it once (or twice) before it sticks
:v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

LOL never gonna happen

Cheap usb dogs dogshit vendors aren't going to pay for pcie

This is going to happen if you're strictly limiting yourself to the USB 4.0 label (that's the point after all), but since it's also backwards compatible it won't stop the mess that is USB 3.x and USB-C connectors from existing, so instead, the dogshit vendors are just going to keep selling "USB 3.x" cables that lack power delivery or any of the display modes or whatnot.

3peat
May 6, 2010

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_flaw/

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Here are the money quotes from that article:

quote:

The researchers also examined Arm and AMD processor cores, but found they did not exhibit similar behavior.
"The leakage can be exploited by a limited set of instructions, which is visible in all Intel generations starting from the 1st generation of Intel Core processors, independent of the OS and also works from within virtual machines and sandboxed environments."
The issue is separate from the Spectre vulnerabilities, and is not addressed by existing mitigations. It can be exploited from user space without elevated privileges.
SPOILER, the researchers say, will make existing Rowhammer and cache attacks easier, and make JavaScript-enabled attacks more feasible – instead of taking weeks, Rowhammer could take just seconds. Moghimi said the paper describes a JavaScript-based cache prime+probe technique that can be triggered with a click to leak private data and cryptographic keys not protected from cache timing attacks.
Mitigations may prove hard to come by. "There is no software mitigation that can completely erase this problem," the researchers say. Chip architecture fixes may work, they add, but at the cost of performance.
"My personal opinion is that when it comes to the memory subsystem, it's very hard to make any changes and it's not something you can patch easily with a microcode without losing tremendous performance," he said. "So I don't think we will see a patch for this type of attack in the next five years and that could be a reason why they haven't issued a CVE."
Sounds pretty bad but who knows maybe there is some gotcha to it that makes it actually hard to pull off in the real world. Lets all hope so if every Core CPU is vulnerable to it going on back to Banias from the P4 era of the early 2000's.

Looks like Intel just found out about it in Dec 2018 so Icelake probably won't have hardware mitigations for this thing either.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/ They really seem to love the artificial product segmentation it allows though. Maybe if they get desperate to get something out if there is a big wave of successful attacks using this method and no other fix is available in a reasonable time frame I can see them going that route.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 5, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Since this is somehow related to Rowhammer maybe this will force them to enable ECC on consumer platforms?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I sure as gently caress hope so, to maybe finally get higher speed modules, that also happen to be affordable.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i don't remember rowhammer attacks taking weeks, especially javascript-based. guess those pocs didn't exist to make the paper sound better

architecture attacks not being universal isn't revolutionary either, especially when they're focusing on one vendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i don't remember rowhammer attacks taking weeks, especially javascript-based. guess those pocs didn't exist to make the paper sound better
There are different versions of the Rowhammer attack and the ones used to defeat ECC (yes it can defeat some types of ECC RAM though I don't think its been shown to work with DDR4 yet, but the researchers thought it could, note that their work is different than this new SPOILER thing) can take days or weeks to be effective.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

especially when they're focusing on one vendor
From the article and quoted section in thread:

quote:

The researchers also examined Arm and AMD processor cores