Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Help please. My 3 years old decided yesterday that he won't fall asleep alone because he's scared of being alone. He slept perfectly before that.

He will cry very loudly for a long time of we leave. He's next to the twins room so we cannot just let him cry or things won't be fun for us at all.

Currently sitting in a corner far away from him in the room and plan to get further and then in the hall every night, but would like opinions. We already are not getting any sleep or time off. Losing those 30 minutes of couple time is pretty dramatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Our 3yo daughter went through something similar. She was starting to be afraid of the dark. We bought her a nightlight, and spent part of the normal bedtime routine pointing out things that are in her room to remind her of what she sees in the dark. The phase lasted maybe two weeks before she stopped crying for us.

I'd imagine if you remind him where you will be after leaving his room and making it part of the routine, it will eventually go away. Like most things, it's a phase that he'll grow out of (hopefully quickly).

I think your approach now is something I read in Super Nanny's book, so it'll probably work.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
We gave our 3 year old a little 2 AA flashlight that he can use to look at something if he gets scared.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

KingColliwog posted:

Currently sitting in a corner far away from him in the room and plan to get further and then in the hall every night, but would like opinions. We already are not getting any sleep or time off. Losing those 30 minutes of couple time is pretty dramatic

One thing that worked when my kid went through that stage was to give him lots of reassurance during the goodnight process about where I'd be and what I'd be doing, and then say I'd come and check on him soon. So it would be something like "Goodnight kiddo, time to go to sleep now. I'm just going to be making a cup of tea in the kitchen and Dad is going to do the dishes. I'll come in and check on you in ten minutes."

I'd keep doing that check periodically, but only when he was being quiet - wailing meant longer without me (though that might not work in your case with the twins next door).

Hmm, that seems kinda complicated written out but it was basically: give him reassurance that I will return, while remaining firm about going to sleep by himself.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

For those that have daylight savings time shenanigans coming up this weekend, I'd highly recommend to start slowly shifting bed / nap / awake times today. It's much easier (in my experience) to manage small 10 minute changes than an hour change.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Lol we just don't change anything. They go to bed at 7 in winter and 8 in summer

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Public Serpent posted:

Lol we just don't change anything. They go to bed at 7 in winter and 8 in summer

This may not work as well when kids have to be ready for school at whatever o'clock in the morning, and also need however many hours of sleep in order not to become demented rear end in a top hat monkeys.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Haha, yeah I realize we may have to at some point. For now they still wake up at Buttcrack AM regardless of bedtime so the mornings work fine. (...-ish)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Good-Natured Filth posted:

For those that have daylight savings time shenanigans coming up this weekend, I'd highly recommend to start slowly shifting bed / nap / awake times today. It's much easier (in my experience) to manage small 10 minute changes than an hour change.

My wife and I flew out with our son from Boston to Arizona this past Saturday so he's dealing with a 2-hour time change right now. We're flying back to Boston on Saturday so we'll have the time change plus DST. Awesome.

We're screwed.

In other news, he actually did awesome on the plane. He's 4 months and just had his second round of vaccines on Thursday, so the Doctor said no to benadryl but said we could give him some tylenol on the plane if needed (not sure how that helps with sleep but whatever). We sat on the tarmac for 40 minutes while they de-iced the plane and he got fussy just sitting around and we had to give him the bottle early before take off, but he didn't cry at all once we got moving and took off...he ended up sleeping almost the entire 6 hours. We bought him his own seat and put the carseat in it, but he seemed to wake up whenever he was in the seat (he always sleeps in car rides), so it was kind of a waste to buy the seat. However, it was nice to have the extra room and not chance being next to someone that was sick, so that was good. I totally see why we should have done a red-eye though...too bad I can't change our return flight.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

nwin posted:

However, it was nice to have the extra room and not chance being next to someone that was sick, so that was good. I totally see why we should have done a red-eye though...too bad I can't change our return flight.

He was also safer in the event of turbulence or a particularly bumpy landing! As for red-eyes... it really varies based on kid. I would have been up all night keeping my parents awake, had they taken a red-eye flight with me (not that they had a chance - our yearly trip involved three flights each way thanks to going from small airport to small airport), but my older son would probably have done great on one.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Whats the to-go solution regarding rental cars and car seats? Taking the 3.change year old on a trip in July. Normally we have one when we get there going to visit relatives, but this'll be full-blown vacation.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Whats the to-go solution regarding rental cars and car seats? Taking the 3.change year old on a trip in July. Normally we have one when we get there going to visit relatives, but this'll be full-blown vacation.

When we flew our kids out to NM we just carried everything onto the flight. You drop it off at the gate and they store it with the rest of the luggage then have it set out again when you come off.

As far as rental cars were concerned, there wasn't anything special, we just set them up in the rental car like normal. There was no special clause or fee.

Biggest bitch was just carrying bulky rear end car seats across the airport.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

You technically can rent a car seat but it is prohibitively expensive ($40) per day. We just checked our car seat and that worked best. Was also handy since we took a Lyft to and from the airport.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Daycare said that my 11-month old bit two of the smaller babies today at daycare. She rarely, if ever bites us a home so I'm not really sure how to teach her its not okay. Overall I think she's ready to move onto the young toddlers class, where she'll be around tots her size, and probably have daycare teachers that are more knowledgeable and willing to curb these kind of toddler type behaviors. Any advice appreciated!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We’re looking forward to using this DST to move our 10 month old from a 6 to a 7pm bedtime.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We've been binging Workin' Moms on Netflix. This poo poo is too real.

It's really interesting to watch our daughter as she learns and discovers. One day she would clap here and there then half way through the day she's clapping constantly. She also recently discovered the bouncer and loves it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

laxbro posted:

Daycare said that my 11-month old bit two of the smaller babies today at daycare. She rarely, if ever bites us a home so I'm not really sure how to teach her its not okay. Overall I think she's ready to move onto the young toddlers class, where she'll be around tots her size, and probably have daycare teachers that are more knowledgeable and willing to curb these kind of toddler type behaviors. Any advice appreciated!

My daughter has bitten and been bitten a few times - especially when she was in a room with teething toddlers. It's pretty normal in daycare for that to happen. Just talk to your provider about what they do in those situations (redirecting to an appropriate toy to chew on; moving the children away from each other; etc.) and reinforce those things at home. One incident shouldn't really set off any alarms.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
My 4-year old is refusing to cooperate in preschool. She says no when told to do things ("sit down so we can do art") and runs away out of the room and refuses to come back. She pouted in another room for so long, and the teachers had to spend so much time trying to coax her, that no one in the class got to play outside. The teacher at school is about done with her, apparently.

It's not just at school. She storms out of the room when she does not get her way.

This is obviously on my wife and I to work on. I did not grow up in that great of a household so I don't have a ton of good examples to draw from. I get angry with her and shout. I am working to get help for my own stuff, but I am looking for ideas on how to proceed despite my limitations. Has anyone been in the same situation?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks for all the ideas, it's already getting better and I think he'll be able to sleep on his own with a night light. Turn out he was more afraid of the "dark" (his room isn't dark at all) than being alone even if he wasn't able to verbalise it.

My sleep deprived self really didn't handle things well the first time it happened. I was mean, stubborn and tough with him when it really wasn't warranted and probably made things worst. It's the first time I feel like I really messed up as a parent and was foolish/childish/let my emotions take over. That was a great lesson for me and knocked me off my pedestal a bit which is always a good thing in the end.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Uncle Enzo posted:

My 4-year old is refusing to cooperate in preschool. She says no when told to do things ("sit down so we can do art") and runs away out of the room and refuses to come back. She pouted in another room for so long, and the teachers had to spend so much time trying to coax her, that no one in the class got to play outside. The teacher at school is about done with her, apparently.

It's not just at school. She storms out of the room when she does not get her way.

This is obviously on my wife and I to work on. I did not grow up in that great of a household so I don't have a ton of good examples to draw from. I get angry with her and shout. I am working to get help for my own stuff, but I am looking for ideas on how to proceed despite my limitations. Has anyone been in the same situation?

Does her classroom have a specific pedagogy, like Montessori or something? If so, they may have very specific guidance or classes for you to try.

If not, I suggest perhaps some emotion coaching or mindfulness? My four year old is stubborn and a high-anxiety personality type. Negative reinforcements (yelling, timeouts) have generally only made behavior worse in the long term. We've had great luck with talking through our emotions, trying to get at the root of whatever the behavior is, then brainstorming with her some alternative solutions to whatever the actual problem is - it's usually something we didn't think of! The more you do it, the more practice they get in resolving their own problems, the less situations like this come up.

I like Generation Mindful as a starting point, if you sort of ignore all the extra woo cruft around it.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

For the dude asking for help with the 4 year old.
These parenting books are pretty great
Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood : Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years

1-2-3 Magic : Effective Discipline for Children 2-12

Setting Limits with Your Strong-Willed Child : Eliminating Conflict by Establishing Clear, Firm, and Respectful Boundaries

Start with the Love and Logic and it should give positive results pretty quickly. The choice of you can pick up your toys or mom and dad will do it works pretty drat fast(toys get put away if the kid doesn't do it and they don't get them back the next day)

Move on to the next book if your kid doesn't show any improvement. These should be at your local library. I ordered all 3 for $12 total from thriftbooks.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Son is 16 months old. Still can't sit up without us helping. Any tips to help progression here? I'm seeing a doctor about it in two weeks.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

virinvictus posted:

Son is 16 months old. Still can't sit up without us helping. Any tips to help progression here? I'm seeing a doctor about it in two weeks.

What country are you in? The kid needed physical therapy months ago. What did the doctor say last time, man that's not cool any improvement hasn't been made. I read your old posts. It could be something like Muscular Dystrophy that's genetic and requires constant therapy.

Edit: Saw it's Canada. Here in the states you can have a Therapist come to the home and walk the kid through exercises even with poo poo healthcare

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 5, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Your excellent advice was taken this morning... by my daughter, before I saw it. I've been up since 4:30 but I've realised that with a 18:30 bedtime last night, we're on the way to a shift forward already.

Also, in the UK, it's Pancake Day if anyone needs something to do with their kid tonight.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

DangerZoneDelux posted:

What country are you in? The kid needed physical therapy months ago. What did the doctor say last time, man that's not cool any improvement hasn't been made. I read your old posts. It could be something like Muscular Dystrophy that's genetic and requires constant therapy.

Edit: Saw it's Canada. Here in the states you can have a Therapist come to the home and walk the kid through exercises even with poo poo healthcare

Doc didn’t even mention it, but fiancé is currently fighting me on me worrying saying that our son is normal. I mean, he’s finally scooting and he wanders the house using couches, chairs, and walls— but he can’t crawl, he’s walked unsupported for a total of 5 seconds (and then forces a sit every time we try to get him to walk), but the sitting up thing has bothered me.

Edit: could forced belly time help in the meanwhile? My fiancé always felt too bad when he screams. He still screams the minute he’s on his belly. But if I put toys in front of him, he’ll just lay there and only cry every couple of minutes.

virinvictus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 5, 2019

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Getting our guy down early didn't go well last night, and my wife is trying to do 30min instead of just ten. We have a routine he's used to, but the time varies nightly already, by 5-20 minutes. Sometimes he's tired really early and wanting to go to bed, sometimes the boy doesn't want to stop scooting around and playing with things that are not his toys. He's hard to nail down and I guess part of it is whether or not he took a nap at daycare that day, and whether or not he had one at home BEFORE daycare.

Not looking forward to trying again tonight.

virinvictus posted:

Doc didn’t even mention it, but fiancé is currently fighting me on me worrying saying that our son is normal. I mean, he’s finally scooting and he wanders the house using couches, chairs, and walls— but he can’t crawl, he’s walked unsupported for a total of 5 seconds (and then forces a sit every time we try to get him to walk), but the sitting up thing has bothered me.

Edit: could forced belly time help in the meanwhile? My fiancé always felt too bad when he screams. He still screams the minute he’s on his belly. But if I put toys in front of him, he’ll just lay there and only cry every couple of minutes.

Tummy time may help, it's worth a try. I'd say that though it's hard to hear the crying during tummy time, it's very necessary toward a baby's physical development and sitting up is a precursor to a lot of things. If toys help, do that but try tummy time at least once or twice a day. My son hated it too.

I'm very surprised the doctor hasn't said anything about this. Whether it's a developmental kink or disease, it should have at least raised eyebrows, but I'd still say that it doesn't have to mean there's something wrong with him--it could just be a delay in development and all babies develop physically at different rates. But the point is you don't know, and if the doctor sees milestones like that not happening in the normal windows and doesn't mention it, not sure what to tell you there. Have you mentioned it to the doc?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 5, 2019

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

life is killing me posted:

Tummy time may help, it's worth a try. I'd say that though it's hard to hear the crying during tummy time, it's very necessary toward a baby's physical development and sitting up is a precursor to a lot of things. If toys help, do that but try tummy time at least once or twice a day. My son hated it too.

I'm very surprised the doctor hasn't said anything about this. Whether it's a developmental kink or disease, it should have at least raised eyebrows, but I'd still say that it doesn't have to mean there's something wrong with him--it could just be a delay in development and all babies develop physically at different rates. But the point is you don't know, and if the doctor sees milestones like that not happening in the normal windows and doesn't mention it, not sure what to tell you there. Have you mentioned it to the doc?

No, I've left the doctor appointments to my partner, however this time I'm the one going in. Part of me suspects she hasn't said anything and has lied to me, just because she seems to see any developmental issues as reflecting on her as a parent. So I'm going in with a list of questions, concerns, and I'm going to make sure I walk away from this with solutions and less worries, lol.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

virinvictus posted:

No, I've left the doctor appointments to my partner, however this time I'm the one going in. Part of me suspects she hasn't said anything and has lied to me, just because she seems to see any developmental issues as reflecting on her as a parent. So I'm going in with a list of questions, concerns, and I'm going to make sure I walk away from this with solutions and less worries, lol.

Not saying anything about your partner, but in general this isn't a time to worry about anything other than the child and you need to know if there's a real problem or if it's just late development. If there IS a problem, not knowing about it could have bad ramifications. Not saying you should panic at all, just saying it's good that you're going yourself this time, because your partner's insistence that there's nothing wrong without a pediatrician's opinion is part of the problem and a problem in and of itself. Maybe you two should even go together?

Developmental problems do not at all speak of someone as a parent, and it would be good for both of you to know if there's a problem causing this late development or if that's just what it is, and take steps together in the direction of working on it.

Sorry that I probably sound like some preachy rear end in a top hat when I really am not trying to come off as one. I know every parent has their thing, mine being my denial in the face of all evidence that my son is sick with a cold or whatever. My wife has to bring me down to earth sometimes when I'm insisting he doesn't have a fever because I'll say the thermometer is wrong or I'm doing it wrong or something. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm not. I usually know I'm not right when either my wife or I end up getting what I asserted our son didn't have.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I was wondering if there are any parents of kids with autism who post in here. I posted a while back in an autism thread in GBS about my daughter who is on the spectrum but that thread got gassed as threads in GBS tend to do, so the conversation about it died. It'd be nice to compare notes and stuff with other parents and ask about how to handle some of the challenges that come up.

Also, feel free to ask me about parenting a kid with autism if you want. I'm pretty open about my experiences and the lessons parenting through difficult situations have taught me. It's also just good to talk about it general I guess.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FunOne posted:

We gave our 3 year old a little 2 AA flashlight that he can use to look at something if he gets scared.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

I was worried at first he'd play with the flash light all night, but he is good about putting it up after reading and going to bed. It's worked out well for us.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KingColliwog posted:

Help please. My 3 years old decided yesterday that he won't fall asleep alone because he's scared of being alone. He slept perfectly before that.

He will cry very loudly for a long time of we leave. He's next to the twins room so we cannot just let him cry or things won't be fun for us at all.

Let him sleep with the twins perhaps? three kids in a room might be too much though.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

His Divine Shadow posted:

Let him sleep with the twins perhaps? three kids in a room might be too much though.

We currently have the 7-year-old, the 5-year-old and the 11-month-old all sharing a bed. (Triple-size, so there's room for an adult as well). This generally works quite well, for the most part they find each others' presence soothing (and the baby often ends up cuddled up next to one of her big brothers, it's cute as hell).

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Anyone with baby carrier opinions? Looking to get one for future bub that is still baking and figured this thread might have a little more experience than the pregnancy thread, though I'm happy to post there as well if that makes more sense.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Still using my Tula free to grow with my one year old, I’ve been using it since she was a newborn. Very comfortable and converts to back wearing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our 3-year-old is potty trained when she's awake, but has frequent accidents at nap at daycare (they've started waking her up mid-way through nap to pee), and is still wearing a diaper overnight. Lately, she's been having leaks some time during the night once or twice a week. We've tried a bigger diaper size as well as having her try to pee right before bed. What else can we do to help prevent these leaks?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Buy overnight style diapers! Good nites never failed us.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sheri posted:

Buy overnight style diapers! Good nites never failed us.

Yeah, we've been using the local grocery store's brand (HEB fwiw). Maybe we should try some other brand?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

marchantia posted:

Anyone with baby carrier opinions? Looking to get one for future bub that is still baking and figured this thread might have a little more experience than the pregnancy thread, though I'm happy to post there as well if that makes more sense.

Lille Baby is the Wirecutter's pick, which is good for kids for ages. We were lent a baby Bjorn and we loved it, but only for about 8-9mo before we outgrew it.

Buy used. Both of the above were used and we'll sell the Lille Baby used for not much less than we paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

marchantia posted:

My husband likes his Infantino Sash, which is a mei tai style carrier that can do front and back, up to 35lbs, and is under $30.

I greatly prefer my woven wrap because I think it is more comfortable and I love trying out new carries,. But, it has a learning curve for sure, and I made mine so I don't know what they cost but I bet it's a lot more than $30.