Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haru and Futaba forgiving Goro is underwritten, but honestly I highly doubt even if the writers thought about it more that that would have changed. Haru as a character forgiving Goro is entirely within what she would do given she is about the nicest and most understanding person in the group, the only time this isn't the case is for the sake of gags. Futaba I can see maybe being the case if they thought about it more, but after all of the poo poo Futaba had to go through and hearing Goro's story I wouldn't doubt she sees a lot of the situation she went through in him because Goro is at the end of the day meant to be a dark reflection of the Phantom Thieves as a whole. I think if the game explored and talked about it a bit more these complaints wouldn't be being made as much but uh that ain't the case unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The remark earlier about how Goro is closest to a foil to Futaba also checks with how she does the heavy lifting of tricking him, they really chould have done a bigger thing out of that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's true that Akechi was the cornerstone in Shido's conspiracy that allowed his group to overcome any obstacle in their way. In fact he accelerated Shido's progress. If Akechi weren't around, could Shido still have achieved as much as he did when he had Futaba's mother's research?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's true that Akechi was the cornerstone in Shido's conspiracy that allowed his group to overcome any obstacle in their way. In fact he accelerated Shido's progress. If Akechi weren't around, could Shido still have achieved as much as he did when he had Futaba's mother's research?

definitely not, which is probably why yaldabaoth chose akechi in particular as his catspaw

igor, in an act of spiteful whimsy, made his catspaw a literal cat

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
How the hell does Shido even keep the conspiracy running if he murders everyone for no reason? Wouldn't people just not want to work with him anymore? SIU director really stands out here because he is killed for negative reasons, like what you never need a plant at one of the highest positions in the legal system again?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Having the technical knowledge to do psychic murder is all cool and good, but you really need someone willing and able that isn't going to turn on you the minute they realize "hey, I can kill without consequences, why I am not calling the shots already?"

Shido figured he had lucked out on a dumb obedient child, when the truth is Akechi was a smart kid with a dumb plan.

Also the specifics of who can get a Persona have always been tricky.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can tell without Goro that Shido's plans would've been hosed because he doesn't think a single thing he does through and just pops off whenever he feels like

There's satirical statement in here about the musclehead politician having no real holding power in society, but metal geat rising did that and made the politician actually somewhat intelligent while also being a massive piece of poo poo

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shido should've been more overtly a Japanese ultranationalist version of Armstrong.

Have him dropkick Joker in the middle of a monologue.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Wordnumber posted:

How the hell does Shido even keep the conspiracy running if he murders everyone for no reason? Wouldn't people just not want to work with him anymore? SIU director really stands out here because he is killed for negative reasons, like what you never need a plant at one of the highest positions in the legal system again?

Look I don't know if you've payed attention to American politics lately but...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Perhaps Shido saying nothing while saying a lot of words is the point? Isn't that a common joke about politicians?

His agenda is one of "everyone else has screwed you over BUT I'M HERE NOW. I'll make Japan Great Again."

Simple and it totally works. If you look at the poo poo Donald Trump said, most of it was contradictory and he's done precisely none of it. People were...for some reason attracted to his raw animal magnetism. I don't loving get it either but that's the only explanation I got. And that seems to be Shido's allure, too. People just like him because he says things are bad now ("we agree!") and he'll make them better. ("we want that!")

And also people are just predisposed to deferring to authority. If you haven't heard of the Milgram Experiment, it is very interesting.
https://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html

eh, it's still fundamentally mired in a distinct overarching ideology despite the messager being nonsensical. It's hard to read P5 as meaningfully critical of contemporary norms beyond "hey politics suck lmao" when the representative of that is so vacuous and the writers agree with some of the irl ruling party's shittier viewpoints.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretend I posted the bugs bunny firing the gun image but it's shido doing it literally any time something even begins to go his way in the story

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I could be misremembering, but wasn't the bulk of the conspiracy Akechi running hit jobs for the benefit of Shido's allies, proping them up, buying their loyalty and having blackmail material all in one fell swoop?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

YaketySass posted:

I could be misremembering, but wasn't the bulk of the conspiracy Akechi running hit jobs for the benefit of Shido's allies, proping them up, buying their loyalty and having blackmail material all in one fell swoop?

Basically. It turns out that a lot of shady people are willing to support a man who seems to have the power to kill without leaving any evidence of the deed itself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haru's dad worked people to death. theres no excuse ever given for that he wasnt corrupted by evil juice or whatever, he just did that. multiple people. hes a way worse person than akechi even taking the derailing passenger train thing into account

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Alacron posted:

I think there's some throwaway lines about how No-Good Tora's speeches remind people of Shido's, but I can't remember Tora's policies either.

I don't think they ever mentioned anything specific for Tora beyond his political stance being, "The people currently running things are loving everything up for the youth, and by extension, the rest of the country, just to make things better for themselves; we need to be focused on enabling the youth of Japan to be able to properly step up and run the country so that they can make things better for everyone both now and in the future."

Compare and contrast Shido's platform of, "Everything sucks right now, and it's the current administration's fault. Vote for Shido and Make Nippon Glorious Again!"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If nothing else Shido has char aznable's voice in both languages, so it's p hard to not at least hear him out

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Captain Baal posted:

If nothing else Shido has char aznable's voice in both languages, so it's p hard to not at least hear him out

And now I'm picturing Shido showing up at one of Tora's speeches.

Tora: "Mayasashi Shido? What are you doing here?"

Shido: "I came here to laugh at you, Tora."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Tora's used to that one, he can take it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I honestly cannot remember a single thing Strega did. I guess the girl became Junpei's girlfriend and then got fridged.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ratoslov posted:

I honestly cannot remember a single thing Strega did. I guess the girl became Junpei's girlfriend and then got fridged.

Strega are they guys who shot Shinjiro. The fact that they managed to kill a party member and people still aren't sure who they are is a testament to their dullness.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Takaya uses his belt as a gun holster, which looks stupid as gently caress.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
started playing nocturne tonight wish me luck

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wark Say posted:

Also, Takaya uses his belt as a gun holster, which looks stupid as gently caress.

I legitimately forgot what this guy's name was, because I've been calling him 'Revolver Jesus' for so long.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wark Say posted:

also unsafe

he’ll shoot himself in the peter & pauls, playing with it like that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

haru's dad worked people to death. theres no excuse ever given for that he wasnt corrupted by evil juice or whatever, he just did that. multiple people. hes a way worse person than akechi even taking the derailing passenger train thing into account

Yeah I dunno where people earlier were getting that Okumura was even slightly less evil than the other villains in this game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 4, 2019

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Strega are they guys who shot Shinjiro. The fact that they managed to kill a party member and people still aren't sure who they are is a testament to their dullness.

My favorite thing about Strega was that the other guy who wasnt Jesus, Jin or Jun or whatever, carried around a briefcase full of grenades as his weapon, like that was something that made sense or was acceptable.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite thing about Strega was that the other guy who wasnt Jesus, Jin or Jun or whatever, carried around a briefcase full of grenades as his weapon, like that was something that made sense or was acceptable.

Actually, debatably even better: The briefcase isn't carrying the grenades, Jin is. He's just got a briefcase, in every scene he's in, and at no point do we learn why.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes the hacker so presumably hes got his laptop in it but its a solid steel briefcase not the kind you'd actually put a laptop in

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

started playing nocturne tonight wish me luck

If you're on Hard Mode, you cannot run from fights. Good luck and learn that escape spell as soon as you can.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The J on Jins briefcase stands for Jinswer

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Brought To You By posted:

If you're on Hard Mode, you cannot run from fights. Good luck and learn that escape spell as soon as you can.

nah I'm playing on normal I play games to have a good time

I already hosed up tonight though, ended up doing the Amala network with just main dude and high pixie oops. made it through though, somehow.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's been a long time since I played Nocturne on normal but it seems insane that you could get to ginza without ever thinking of picking up another demon

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Saagonsa posted:

It's been a long time since I played Nocturne on normal but it seems insane that you could get to ginza without ever thinking of picking up another demon

I was literally about to turn around to go snag some fusion fodder before continuing but I thought I was unlocking the ability to warp between terminals so im like yeah dude what's up and lol oops gotta do a dungeon first!! stone gaze is a bitch.

also I'm dumb as poo poo and didn't really understand how to use the menu to move over to talk until after this. maybe I was just tired or something, drat those were some idiot moves. can't wait to see what dumb poo poo I do next.

I did have a will o wisp also but I was intentionally not using him since mostly he would just give the enemy extra moves with his weakness to all magic. he DID come out and help against the boss though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Lots of demons seem trash on paper but get really good skills really, really early. Like Preta who gets Venom Claw and Fog Breath. Or Zhen, who gets War Cry. Will O' Wisp "only" gets Makakaja which is still pretty okay, at least.

Also, uh, I don't know if you know this already or not but Luck is bugged and doesn't really work properly. You can basically just ignore it.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 4, 2019

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing the translated chronicle version if it matters, regarding the luck thing. Good to know, though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
He's back folks.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Extremely late to the party but I think the Law path in Devil Survivor 1 is kinda palatable, at least in the 8th day? I forget the details though compared to the Chaos route though, I just remember angels not immediately murdering everyone and then you fight Okuninushi four times in a row.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess I don't really understand all this moral calculus to determine who the worst, most irredeemable person is when that's just not how stories operate. The reason people are reticent to accept Akechi's "justifications" is that they're not framed very well, and the consequences of his actions are framed very directly and in terms of the pain caused. Like, yeah, Okumura had no reason to work people to death. But we don't actually, like, see that poo poo? Not in any direct capacity, at least. Those people are all robots in his Palace. They are literally dehumanized. This is an apt metaphor, but it also makes it harder to connect with for the audience, and we don't see its actual example in the real world of the game either, so it's kind of forgotten about and cast aside. Akechi murdered Wakaba Isshiki and made Futaba, who many players formed a sort of familial relationship with as the daughter of their caretaker, into a recluse addled with trauma. It's felt much more directly by the audience.

The literal text of the game is important, but if it's not framed adequately the audience isn't going to feel it the way they need to.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
haru's s.link should have been you helping her organize and support unions as the ceo instead of whatever boring thing i dont remember it was about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
P5 should have probably addressed the philosophical issues that arise when you do magic brain surgery on bad guys to make them not bad any more.

Also Akechi is a nasty boy who deserved what he got. Although his heroic cutscene sacrifice was dumb.

Expect My Mom posted:

haru's s.link should have been you helping her organize and support unions as the ceo instead of whatever boring thing i dont remember it was about

She learnt to be a good conglomerate owner by opening a coffee shop chain. :)