Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I picked up a couple racks of beef ribs for dirt cheap. Do I just treat them like pork ribs or is there a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

XeeD posted:

I picked up a couple racks of beef ribs for dirt cheap. Do I just treat them like pork ribs or is there a better way?

Gonna treat them differently.

Step 1) Marry into the Mueller family (Louie, not Robert)
Step 2) Spend 20+ years learning to be one of the few who can make beef ribs worth eating
Step 3) Take the beef ribs you have out of long-term cryo storage and cook them.

Serious answer: Do they have the big thick cap of meat on them. or are they trimmed down to the bone on top? If intact, cut them into segments of 3 ribs, coat heavily with salt and pepper then smoke with oak > mesquite > hickory. Treat it mainly like a brisket. Probably check for 195+ after 7 hours. Once 195-200, pull and rest in a cooler/warm oven for an hour.

If they've been trimmed to the bone already, I honestly don't know if they are worth doing anything with. Try treating 'em like pork ribs? Have backup dinner plans though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doom Rooster posted:

If they've been trimmed to the bone already, I honestly don't know if they are worth doing anything with. Try treating 'em like pork ribs? Have backup dinner plans though.

IMO cut the rest of the meat off and put it in chili or stew.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mmmm... Meuller's... Went then when I lived in Austin.

So you can order a brisket and have it shipped to your own home! Shipping is free!

$250 for a 5.5 to 6 lb brisket! :stonk:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

IMO cut the rest of the meat off and put it in chili or stew.

This, and use the roasted bones for stock would probably be my choice.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I usually sous vide beef ribs at a medium-well temperature (like 160) for a day, and then finish them in the oven with barbecue sauce. Smoking them would be awesome, I'm just not a talented enough pitmaster to get them cooked without drying them out.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Doom Rooster posted:

Gonna treat them differently.

Step 1) Marry into the Mueller family (Louie, not Robert)
Step 2) Spend 20+ years learning to be one of the few who can make beef ribs worth eating
Step 3) Take the beef ribs you have out of long-term cryo storage and cook them.

Serious answer: Do they have the big thick cap of meat on them. or are they trimmed down to the bone on top? If intact, cut them into segments of 3 ribs, coat heavily with salt and pepper then smoke with oak > mesquite > hickory. Treat it mainly like a brisket. Probably check for 195+ after 7 hours. Once 195-200, pull and rest in a cooler/warm oven for an hour.

Step 4) Ignore 1-3 and sous vide them for 72 hours, reserve the drippings to make red wine reduction, smoke ribs for 1 hour at 225f.

You’re welcome.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

Step 4) Ignore 1-3 a d sous vide the. for 72 hours, reservethe drippings to make red wine reduction, smoke ribs for 1 hour at 225f.

You’re welcome.

155F? I find the drippings to be pretty salty when reduced, but I can try without salting the ribs beforehand and see how it goes.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Infinite Karma posted:

I usually sous vide beef ribs at a medium-well temperature (like 160) for a day, and then finish them in the oven with barbecue sauce. Smoking them would be awesome, I'm just not a talented enough pitmaster to get them cooked without drying them out.

Subjunctive posted:

155F? I find the drippings to be pretty salty when reduced, but I can try without salting the ribs beforehand and see how it goes.

Waaay too high. I think I did my 72 hour puddle at like 144.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Edit: ^^^^ I do 144f when I do mine. It's the ChefSteps rec., and I think the texture is perfect. It's still juicy, tender and pink, but still has a cooked meat texture.

72 hour sous vide is definitely a safe bet for deliciousness if they're meaty. If it's just the meat between the bones, I still vote not worth it.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 28, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Hasselblad posted:

Waaay too high. I think I did my 72 hour puddle at like 130 or so.

Well yeah, a 72 hour puddle would destroy them at that temp. I do short ribs at 130 / 72 hours, or 144 / 48 hours, but back ribs are usually a little leaner, so I go for a more traditional texture and doneness, and a shorter (24 hour) cook.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

(Reheated) Trip Report Pics:

72 hours in the puddle, 20 minute ice bath, 30 minute smoke, tossed in the fridge in a tupperware, fridged for 2 days, resealed and puddled at 144F for an hour, seared in a smoking hot cast iron...Gonna call it a success.

I forgot to list the screaming hot sear in the cast iron after the smoke.
Also a reminder that the 2 days in the fridge were extra steps due to wifes sudden migraine the night we were originally to eat them

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 28, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

Waaay too high. I think I did my 72 hour puddle at like 144.

Sold.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I only did big meaty beef short ribs once, but it wasn't really a particularly hard smoke? A lot easier than brisket at least.

I haven't tried smoking any other types of beef ribs though.

EDIT: Rib pics from this post

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

arisu posted:

I only did big meaty beef short ribs once, but it wasn't really a particularly hard smoke? A lot easier than brisket at least.

After doing long smokes after marinating and then braising, I never got as much beefy flavor as I now do with the 72 hour puddle first.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'll give it a shot next time, I've got an Anova too, but so far my BBQ adventures with sous vide have not impressed me as much as straight up smoking.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

XeeD posted:

Trim super excess fat, dry brine overnight, then pull em and rub heavy with black pepper before smoking at 225-250 till they hit ~202-203. Devour eagerly.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I'll order some of that high-heat gasket to plug those gaps then.

I'm hoping that my AMNPS arrives by next week. I'm also due to pick up an order of short ribs and brisket from the local butcher. This'll be my first "proper" brisket since the others I've cooked have been just enough to feed two people, though the ordered brisket isn't going to be that much bigger.

Kinda excited, but I'm also kinda dreading the extended cooking time.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Fall Dog posted:

I'll order some of that high-heat gasket to plug those gaps then.

I'm hoping that my AMNPS arrives by next week. I'm also due to pick up an order of short ribs and brisket from the local butcher. This'll be my first "proper" brisket since the others I've cooked have been just enough to feed two people, though the ordered brisket isn't going to be that much bigger.

Kinda excited, but I'm also kinda dreading the extended cooking time.

Regarding the seal, I have had decent results with woodburning stove door gaskets, as long as I do not try to force the unit open after a freezing rain. Had to recement mine twice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

Regarding the seal, I have had decent results with woodburning stove door gaskets, as long as I do not try to force the unit open after a freezing rain. Had to recement mine twice.

I keep an old towel buffering between top and bottom halves of my BGE so the gaskets don’t freeze together, and other than being a bit ugly it seems to work OK.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Speaking of beef ribs, I grabbed some of these on a whim from Trader Joe's. They're sliced pretty thinly already and meant for the grill, was wondering if they would benefit at all from sous vide since it seems like it would be pretty easy. Thoughts?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

dy. posted:

Speaking of beef ribs, I grabbed some of these on a whim from Trader Joe's. They're sliced pretty thinly already and meant for the grill, was wondering if they would benefit at all from sous vide since it seems like it would be pretty easy. Thoughts?
What benefit would you imagine? It seems like a disaster to sous vide something swimming in a saucy marinade already. Thin sliced meat doesn't really work for slow cooking unless you plan to shred it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Infinite Karma posted:

It seems like a disaster to sous vide something swimming in a saucy marinade already.

Why is that? (I agree that SV probably isn’t useful here, though.)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Subjunctive posted:

Why is that? (I agree that SV probably isn’t useful here, though.)

The moisture and rendered fat that comes out of the meat when you SV would break the sauce into a watery mess that's really hard (if not impossible) to get back on the meat in a pan/on the grill, instead of caramelizing it while the meat cooks, like originally intended.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Infinite Karma posted:

The moisture and rendered fat that comes out of the meat when you SV would break the sauce into a watery mess that's really hard (if not impossible) to get back on the meat in a pan/on the grill, instead of caramelizing it while the meat cooks, like originally intended.

Ah, good point. Thanks!

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

What benefit would you imagine? It seems like a disaster to sous vide something swimming in a saucy marinade already. Thin sliced meat doesn't really work for slow cooking unless you plan to shred it.
I don't know, but it sounds like a bad idea!

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

arisu posted:

Yeah beef ribs are easier than pork ribs imo. You can at least temp your beef ribs.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
How does this look?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fall Dog posted:

How does this look?

These portraits should be hanging in a popular museum.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fall Dog posted:

How does this look?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Fall Dog posted:

How does this look?

Both "gently caress you" and "gently caress me" simultaneously.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Fall Dog posted:

How does this look?

Burnt ends? I've only had sliced brisket a few times at a BBQ joint and never did a whole one myself.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I smoked a Chuck Roast this weekend.

I'm a smoker newbie, turned out great. I recommend to other newbies as well.

Beginner's brisket or something.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TheReverend posted:

Put it in all your stews.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

TheReverend posted:

Thanks guys, I didn't expect so much positivity!

To let you in on a secret, they're faux burnt ends made from a few chuck steaks I had. One thing that surprised me was the cooking time for the three steaks was about the same as it was when I last cooked a (small) brisket. I was expecting everything to be done in 1-2 hours, but they only got to temp after nearly 7 hours in the smoker. Was really strange. I finished the burnt ends off after giving them a splash of worcestershire sauce and a good drizzle of homemade barbecue sauce.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

TheReverend posted:

I actually prefer chuck to brisket (flat). Just as much flavor and a lot more forgiving.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Put it in all your stews.

Makes bomb rear end beef tacos too.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

I actually prefer chuck to brisket (flat). Just as much flavor and a lot more forgiving.

Yeah my first brisket experiment was a flat , and I think that was a big mistake.

I had leftovers for lunch and it was drat good!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad went to the store today to get a pork butt for me to smoke, but he came home with this.

So... yeah.

I’m thinking I’ll just rub it like I would a butt, but how long should I cook it for? Maybe like 3 or 4 hours at 250°?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Is there a reason you think that's not a pork butt?