Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hooah posted:

Neat, I guess, but holy hell that must murder the watch's battery!

Yeah, it wouldn't be something I'd want to use regularly but it could be useful from time to time. I have a few Pi 3s installed as appliances that occasionally need a keyboard or mouse for one quick thing, so it'd be nice to be able to just run an app and go rather than having to find one. Also using it as a presentation remote would be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Yeah, it wouldn't be something I'd want to use regularly but it could be useful from time to time. I have a few Pi 3s installed as appliances that occasionally need a keyboard or mouse for one quick thing, so it'd be nice to be able to just run an app and go rather than having to find one. Also using it as a presentation remote would be neat.

Considering how badly my Moto 360 second gen's screen controls the Moto 360, I'm literally cringing at the thought of trying to control an actual mouse with it. I'll admit it's a cool idea but Wear OS hardware sucks so badly.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My Huawei Watch 2 got a lot of updates lately (in the last few months I mean), and I noticed after a period of not using it at all, that it became *extremely* sluggish. It was never a champion of speed, having noticeable delays (I want to say around 0.5-1 second?) every time I "clicked" on something, but now the delays are more in the 2-3 seconds range, making me double tap because it really looks like the input was not taken at all, and it's incredibly frustrating

Any possible cause/solution? Could it be related to some recent WearOS updates? :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TorakFade posted:

My Huawei Watch 2 got a lot of updates lately (in the last few months I mean), and I noticed after a period of not using it at all, that it became *extremely* sluggish. It was never a champion of speed, having noticeable delays (I want to say around 0.5-1 second?) every time I "clicked" on something, but now the delays are more in the 2-3 seconds range, making me double tap because it really looks like the input was not taken at all, and it's incredibly frustrating

Any possible cause/solution? Could it be related to some recent WearOS updates? :(

Have you tried unpairing and resetting up the watch? I have to do that often to resolve random issues that just crop up for no reason and while it sucks, it usually solves whatever problem I'm having.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LastInLine posted:

Have you tried unpairing and resetting up the watch? I have to do that often to resolve random issues that just crop up for no reason and while it sucks, it usually solves whatever problem I'm having.

Yes, did that and the situation improved. It's not as good as it was in the beginning though, the update where they changed the "swipe down from the top" menu seems to require more horsepower, horsepower that this lovely snapdragon wear 2100 chip just can't give

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well we're all in the same boat there and it's not like the 3100 is any more efficient or powerful either. I've seen worse battery life out of my Moto 360 second gen too but it's three years old. Your Huawei watch 2 should be like half that old so I wouldn't expect to see it fall off a cliff but at the same time I've had batteries just give up the ghost before.

In short I doubt it's the update, I think it's just naturally aging and like you pointed out it's not that efficient to start with.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TorakFade posted:

This is what happened to my Q Explorist. I've reset it multiple times and it still runs like garbage. Scrolling either doesn't work or overshoots after a huge delay. Tapping anything is a several-second wait. I've left it turned off because otherwise I'll get several pairing notifications when it's within range. It was absolutely something to do with an update because up until a month or so ago it worked fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What are your guys' Wear OS version? Specifically, is it the "H" update? I think the way to tell is if your Android version is 9 rather than 7.1.1.

Because everything I've read says that update breaks everything.

Edit vv:

I ask because the rollout was announced in November of 2018 and has been spotty. Most of the complaints were from December but there have been like two Wear OS updates since then that didn't bump the Android version and aren't the H update and not everyone with a specific watch type has the update. Google hasn't said what's going on with it but speculation is that the battery extending features, specifically the deep sleep after 30 minutes, pretty much renders the watch unusable which jives with what you're both describing. My Moto doesn't have the update so I can't compare but it sure sounds like that's what it is.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 31, 2019

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I think it's on the latest but I'll check when I get home.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LastInLine posted:

What are your guys' Wear OS version? Specifically, is it the "H" update? I think the way to tell is if your Android version is 9 rather than 7.1.1.

Because everything I've read says that update breaks everything.

Edit vv:

I ask because the rollout was announced in November of 2018 and has been spotty. Most of the complaints were from December but there have been like two Wear OS updates since then that didn't bump the Android version and aren't the H update and not everyone with a specific watch type has the update. Google hasn't said what's going on with it but speculation is that the battery extending features, specifically the deep sleep after 30 minutes, pretty much renders the watch unusable which jives with what you're both describing. My Moto doesn't have the update so I can't compare but it sure sounds like that's what it is.

This sounds very plausible. Watch says:

Wear OS by Google 2.3
Android operating system 8.0.0
Security patch 1st October 2018

plus long version numbers for App Home and Google Play that I think don't matter

since I literally just reset and reupdated it yesterday though, might be that it got one of the newer (or maybe older) Wear OS versions without the bug? It is sluggish, but not as extremely as before. Sadly I didn't think to check the version before resetting it.

Edit: according to Wikipedia, 2.3 is the latest version from January 2019 and is a followup to 2.2 that came out in November 2018 and "brought Android 9.0 to smartwatches", so might be that I still had the old version and now resetting I got the latest one where they mitigated the impact of whatever they did that broke everything

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 31, 2019

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

butt dickus posted:

This is what happened to my Q Explorist. I've reset it multiple times and it still runs like garbage. Scrolling either doesn't work or overshoots after a huge delay. Tapping anything is a several-second wait. I've left it turned off because otherwise I'll get several pairing notifications when it's within range. It was absolutely something to do with an update because up until a month or so ago it worked fine.

That sucks. I've been very happy with my Explorist, had it for about 15 months and it's still running great through all updates. If anything battery life is better now than on older Andriod Wear version. If yours is still under warranty (or even if not) you should see if Fossil will replace it for you. What you're describing isn't normal, and one of the advantages of buying from Fossil is that they have physical stores that you can bring it to, assuming there's one in your area.

Edit to add - I'm on Wear OS 2.3, system version H. My phone is Android version 9.

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 31, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google has opened a position for "VP of wearables."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Google has opened a position for "VP of wearables."

I'm clearly the front runner for this position as the guy who's bought the most wear os devices in this thread. Don't even bother applying, y'all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm clearly the front runner for this position as the guy who's bought the most wear os devices in this thread. Don't even bother applying, y'all.

You have a level of perseverance I cannot hope to match

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Guys, I have a Zenwatch 2. But the charger is melt because it was plugged in for too long or something. You just need to get a replacement charger on ebay for 5 bux.

PM me if you want it. I am getting rid of my extra gadgets. Already sold 2 Gshocks and a Suunto Ambit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don't know if this is already a thing you people know but I just went to order a TicWatch Pro and it's on sale for $322 CAD tax included (down from $438) on their website. It also comes with a free TicBand which looks like their version of a fitbit but you have to select that option when choosing colorway. It's the same price without the TicBand. The black watch/grey TicBand is the only color options still available from their Canadian store.

This is from the Mobvoi website.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My misfit vapor isn't even lasting 4 hours now. I guess it's time to factory reset it to see if it fixes the issue.

I'm more and more thinking a Samsung watch us the way to go.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

My misfit vapor isn't even lasting 4 hours now. I guess it's time to factory reset it to see if it fixes the issue.

They're not WearOS still, right? Do those have the basic 3rd party exercise and messaging apps? I assume there's some Samsung app store?

Edit: I've paid zero attention to their smartwatches but for some reason have the impression they're closer to a Fitbit smartwatch in terms of interacting with notifications and having support for 3rd party apps. I have no idea if that's true.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 1, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sourdough posted:

They're not WearOS still, right? Do those have the basic 3rd party exercise and messaging apps? I assume there's some Samsung app store?

Edit: I've paid zero attention to their smartwatches but for some reason have the impression they're closer to a Fitbit smartwatch in terms of interacting with notifications and having support for 3rd party apps. I have no idea if that's true.

AFAIK they have support for third party apps at a similar level to WearOS in theory, but the problem is that third party app developers mostly don't care about Tizen because Samsung is not Apple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, wear app support is good in theory until you start trying to use them. I love looking like an rear end in a top hat waiting 20 seconds for Google pay to load with my hand tilted toward the payment terminal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I bought a 4th gen Fossil Explorist from the Valentine's Day sale and it seldom makes it eight hours on a single charge. I've even disabled tilt to wake (more in an effort to mitigate erroneous Assistant invocations than to save battery I'll admit) but it still sometimes can't make it a whole work shift.

Weirdly it's wildly inconsistent. Some days I come home with 70% left, other days it's dead 6 hours in.

I might have returned it as I did the Vapor but the Explorist does have some improvements over the Moto 360/2, namely in touch response, general responsiveness, and comfort. The smaller screen and the black bezel are bummers but not dealbreakers (the screen not going to the edge of the case annoys me more than the flat tire ever did) but the fact that the battery life is worse than the three year old watch it replaced is disappointing to say the least.

Unlike butt dickus though my watch has been stable and responsive on the H update.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Unlike butt dickus though my watch has been stable and responsive on the H update.
Totally forgot about this. I updated mine and it's been working much better, but it's still noticeably slower than it was over the summer. I've gotten out of the habit of wearing it so it spends most of the time on its 3d-printed cradle. The few times I've worn it since the update the battery life has been ok (ending the day with 20%) but nothing like it used to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, the new Fossil sport I have has been behaving itself, other than performance not being great.

I like it, but sometimes I want to wear a more classic design.

What's really odd is it looks like wear tanked my phone battery as well today, so maybe something is going hand in hand here.

Maybe I'll pair it to my One Plus 6T and see how it does there. Maybe having 3 watches paired to one phone is confusing it.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Maybe having 3 watches paired to one phone is confusing it.

FWIW the Apple Watch /iPhone goes weird if you ever pair 3 or more watches; which. Is a totally normal thing to do ok!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I have my Moto360/2 which I still use from time to time. It is just struggling with battery a little by this point.

I got the Vapor really cheap December of 2017 when they dipped below $200 for black Friday. But then there was a really good Fossil deal this past Christmas so I got the new Sport right when it came out since it had the 3100 and NFC.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

its 3d-printed cradle

I'd like to know more. Got a link to however things like this are shared? This is outside my realm of expertise but my wife has a 3D printer at her work she can use.

Edit: As an example of the inconsistency I'm seeing, I put on my watch at 100% right before work and get home about nine hours later. Last night it went into battery saver at the seven hour mark and I put it on the charger at nine hours at 7%. Tonight at nine hours I was at 72% remaining.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 2, 2019

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'd like to know more. Got a link to however things like this are shared? This is outside my realm of expertise but my wife has a 3D printer at her work she can use.
I'm pretty sure it's this one. There's more if you search for "Q Explorist" on Thingiverse. I had to put some wax in the back to make the charging puck stick in place.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Don't know if this is already a thing you people know but I just went to order a TicWatch Pro and it's on sale for $322 CAD tax included (down from $438) on their website. It also comes with a free TicBand which looks like their version of a fitbit but you have to select that option when choosing colorway. It's the same price without the TicBand. The black watch/grey TicBand is the only color options still available from their Canadian store.

This is from the Mobvoi website.

Quoting myself here, I've had the watch for about 3-4 days and thought I'd write down some thoughts on it for anyone else considering it. I'll note that this is my first smartwatch so some of my grievances will be related to that and not necessarily the watch itself.

I received this watch with the little fitbit style watch band thing (which I haven't bothered to set up) very shortly after ordering which is nice because it had free shipping. I think I like the ticwatch Pro so far - the gripes I have with it are mostly just gripes relating to Wear OS (the screen can be not very responsive compared to a flagship phone) and not necessarily the hardware. I do wish I could find a watch face I like more and I wish there was a resource for quickly perusing them or seeing what people have agreed are some of the best ones. Anyone know a website for this? I've been using Facer as an app for finding new faces but I'm only half satisfied with this. I just want a clean face with time (in digital and 24H), weather/temp, and battery life. It's really hard to find something that isn't crowded. Is it hard to make these yourself (or edit ones that are close to perfect)? I make my own basic android widgets for the same reason.

The watch otherwise is comfortable, not too big, I like the two buttons at 2 and 4. I wish the top button was programmable like the bottom one is. The black nylon body of the watch feels like it has a very high glass fiber content (this is the matte feeling you get in plastics which utilize glass fiber for strength).The composite silicon/leather band is more comfortable than I was expecting (I've got decently hairy arms, the band doesn't pull my hair) although I feel like my wrist is in between the hole spacing which is unfortunate. Overall the build quality is neither disappointing nor surprisingly good. A metal housing would have been nice considering it's a flagship product. I've been wearing it a little tighter than I'd prefer but it's not something that I even notice after I put it on. I work in a hospital and wash my hands probably 50 times a day and the band seems good for not trapping water under it etc.

The essential mode seems to come on too early (if you're looking at the watch to see the weather or whatnot) and after finding no built-in solution to this I ended up buying an app for $2.50 CAD that delays it for 10 seconds. The essential mode is quite readable and honestly looks great with the black strap and bezel. I'll report back on battery life after a 12 hour work day today but as far as I can see it drains about half as fast as my s9+. The charger for the watch is a very convenient little magnetized stand that I put beside my wireless phone charger. The watch snaps into place on the charging stand and charges relatively quickly (plugged into an old iphone adaptor at probably 2amps).

I haven't really sat down and tried to figure out the integration with things like spotify that are on both my phone and the watch. I do feel like 'okay google' commands are being picked up more readily now that the watch is also 'listening' for them (for example for music control when I'm driving), whereas before I felt like I had to turn down my music or bring my phone closer to my face when giving voice commands which kinda negates the purpose of being hands-free while driving.

Let me know if you guys have any specific recommendations for cool watch apps or questions about this product.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thank you for posting that. How's the screen quality? Any hiccups in Wear OS or is it pretty smooth?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Is it hard to make these yourself (or edit ones that are close to perfect)?

Let me know if you guys have any specific recommendations for cool watch apps or questions about this product.

For watch faces, I use Pujie Black to build my own. It's got a learning curve for sure but I find that what comes out is a lot better than those really busy "steal an image of a real watch and slap some hands on it" that you get most places.

The only must-have app to me on Wear OS is Authenticator+ for keeping my 2FA tokens handy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thank you for posting that. How's the screen quality? Any hiccups in Wear OS or is it pretty smooth?

Compared to my 1440p AMOLED S9+ screen, it's noticeably less sharp, however there seems to be a lot of disparity between different apps. I feel like some watch faces in particular are operating in a narrower color space and the blacks aren't fully black, which is a shame since the OLED screen should be capable (and is) of very deep blacks. This makes sense for apps like Facer where anyone with a Wear OS watch could be using the faces. The faces designed for this watch obviously use the full color space. The google apps are very vibrant with excellent contrast and others like the mobvoi fitness stuff (I haven't opened many of the fitness apps because I won't be using them) seem less so. I think the hardware is very good and some of the third party software doesn't always take advantage of it.

The software is hit/miss. It feels like a RAM issue but I know this thing has adequate RAM (I can't remember how much, 512mb?) so I don't know why it's having these issues. An example would be just now I swiped right on the screen to bring up the dashboard sorta space which pulls (very well) from email and my google calendar to integrate stuff like amazon orders with a button for tracking, how long it would take me to get home/to work based on current traffic (with a tappable button to start navigation), upcoming events, detailed weather, buttons for tracking my amazon orders, etc. When I load that menu by swiping right there is a little lag initially with it (until it caches?) that is noticeable. When the watch goes from essential mode to the normal mode (by sensing the wrist movement) the watch also takes a fraction of a second to load all the data (weather, sunset/rise, etc) that is displayed on the face.

Overall I think I like the watch but have to use it more to see.

e: Thanks LastinLine I'll check that out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What was that watch that made some news a few months back because it had a regular (i.e. mechanical) face on top of a Wear OS device? Whatever became of it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

What was that watch that made some news a few months back because it had a regular (i.e. mechanical) face on top of a Wear OS device? Whatever became of it?

Lol it's this one

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol it's this one

Nah, this one has the digital face, hooah's thinking of the LG Watch W7 with the hands that wiggle out of the way when you want to try to read your screen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Nah, this one has the digital face, hooah's thinking of the LG Watch W7 with the hands that wiggle out of the way when you want to try to read your screen.

Oh wtf that is odd as poo poo

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, definitely not the LG one. Maybe it was just wishful confabulation that made me think it had regular watch hands.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I think my misfit vapor is toast. Factory reset it, installed minimal apps and then used it around the house yesterday. It would stay at some battery levels forever and then lose 10-15% in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. When I rebooted it off the charger when at a lower state of charge, the display would flicker with lines like this person's video (along with losing another 20% battery after the reboot.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvpu2ifF0MU

It managed to last about 6 hours off the charger.

Seems like the battery is busted and is struggling to give enough current under high drain situations.

Really disappointing for a device that's only 14 months old. My moto 360/2 doesn't have great battery life anymore either, but that sucker is over 3 years old now and it still works properly. I wonder if I could find my receipt and see if the card I bought it on offers extended warranty protection to at least get my money back.

I may pick up a Galaxy Watch Active next week as a cheap way to dip my toe into Tizen, but it also may be too tiny to consider. Boo 40mm case

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 3, 2019

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I think my misfit vapor is toast. Factory reset it, installed minimal apps and then used it around the house yesterday. It would stay at some battery levels forever and then lose 10-15% in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. When I rebooted it off the charger when at a lower state of charge, the display would flicker with lines like this person's video (along with losing another 20% battery after the reboot.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvpu2ifF0MU

It managed to last about 6 hours off the charger.

Seems like the battery is busted and is struggling to give enough current under high drain situations.

Really disappointing for a device that's only 14 months old. My moto 360/2 doesn't have great battery life anymore either, but that sucker is over 3 years old now and it still works properly. I wonder if I could find my receipt and see if the card I bought it on offers extended warranty protection to at least get my money back.

I may pick up a Galaxy Watch Active next week as a cheap way to dip my toe into Tizen, but it also may be too tiny to consider. Boo 40mm case

42mm Galaxy Watch has been the only wearable outside of the Series 3 42mm Apple Watch that I can use on a daily basis without wanting to rip it off my arm and toss it into the ocean, speaking specifically about the LG Style WearOS toilet bomb I have collecting dust in my drawer right now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wore the TicWatch Pro all day today from 5:45AM to just now at 9pm and it went from 100% to 54% charge. I wasn't loving with different watch faces but I did have it out a lot more than I think I normally would, showing friends at work and stuff. I was concerned yesterday because I drained it from 100% to <15% which I kinda think was that Facer app being lovely or something. I'm using Pujie Black right now for face and it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's funny is after my Vapor rant, it seems to be completely fine today. I'm 10 hours off charge and it's at 55% with no really bizarre drops in battery.

I wonder if me making sure it was completely flat yesterday (getting to the point where it wouldn't even try to turn on) and letting it charge while off all night reset something.