Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It has to be a natural thing for it to work. If at any point someone actively tries to "turn it into a mst3k style riff-fest" it's always bad. Yes, even that one time where you think it wasn't bad.

the only acceptable line to use is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZmCp7NocMA

At 10, me and my friend Jason turned The Two Towers into an MST3K-style riff-fest and at the end, the entire audience gave a standing ovation and then burst into spontaneous, back-to-back renditions of Bohemian Rhapsody and the version of Hallelujah from Shrek

wait no, we just kept getting mean looks thrown at his dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Tubgoat posted:

Films like 'Aquaman' and 'Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow' are meant to be talked during.

Films like Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow are meant to be not watched because you're doing something else in a different room

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Films like Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow are meant to be not watched because you're doing something else in a different room

It was a social outing in high school. :classiclol:

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saagonsa posted:

I used to be squarely in the "never ever talk or make noise during a movie" camp, but after I actually went to a movie with a super rowdy crown I did a total 180. People hooting and clapping are the best and add a ton to the experience

I have no problem with people clapping or cheering in a theater during a movie. This happened throughout all three of the LOTR movies at the time and it greatly enhanced the experience of those films IMO.

My problem was specifically with dirty slobs and spoiled teenagers making noises with their food wrappers, drinks, and casual conversation with a conscious disregard for everyone around them. It definitely seems worse on average than just ten years ago.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So my phuo is that ADH's stupid zero-tolerance phone policy and strict etiquette are a result of never having the spine to confront another human being, so now that they have the power to do so they exclude people who do things that they don't like and act like they're champions of public decency or something. I've never been in a theater where someone's phone being on has ever bothered me, because a) no one texts with their phone held in the air above their heads, b) texting makes zero loving noise unless you're phone is a desktop from the 90's and you're using AOL IM, and c) I'm watching a gigantic glowing screen in front of me so someone's little 3x5 glowing screen within the next 100000 rows in front of me is a drop in the loving bucket. Also, the idea that "loud noises coming from other human beings in a theater" is such a problem that you need to set rules in place to deal with it is some cliched, clearly deluded, overly sensitive bullshit.

The first time they popped up on my radar, they posted a YouTube video with a voicemail left by some disgruntled customer who was kicked out because she used her phone to find her seat. The way they handled the whole thing was so unbearably smug that I've decided that they are The Worst.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

So my phuo is that ADH's stupid zero-tolerance phone policy and strict etiquette are a result of never having the spine to confront another human being, so now that they have the power to do so they exclude people who do things that they don't like and act like they're champions of public decency or something. I've never been in a theater where someone's phone being on has ever bothered me, because a) no one texts with their phone held in the air above their heads, b) texting makes zero loving noise unless you're phone is a desktop from the 90's and you're using AOL IM, and c) I'm watching a gigantic glowing screen in front of me so someone's little 3x5 glowing screen within the next 100000 rows in front of me is a drop in the loving bucket. Also, the idea that "loud noises coming from other human beings in a theater" is such a problem that you need to set rules in place to deal with it is some cliched, clearly deluded, overly sensitive bullshit.

The first time they popped up on my radar, they posted a YouTube video with a voicemail left by some disgruntled customer who was kicked out because she used her phone to find her seat. The way they handled the whole thing was so unbearably smug that I've decided that they are The Worst.

lol at typing out this post and calling literally anything else smug

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eesh, that seems kinda rough. Then again any zero tolerance policy is gonna have the few times where it just kinda sucks.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

lol at typing out this post and calling literally anything else smug

Lol, for real. "I, for one, have evolved beyond the point where having a billion-candle screen three feet from my face while trying to watch a film is bothersome. Furthermore, children screaming at one other from across the theater is an integral part of the movie-going experience. So sad that others have such thin skin and are bothered by such trivialities."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Onion sucks at being funny and has for a few years now. It's comedy that goes for applause and approval instead of laughs, in the same way as most late-night talk shows.

Clickhole is still great, though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Onion sucks at being funny and has for a few years now. It's comedy that goes for applause and approval instead of laughs, in the same way as most late-night talk shows.

Clickhole is still great, though.

Especially when they try to lampoon Trump. The Onion and talk show hosts. Reality is more absurd than fiction and “Donald Trump is dumb” has been beaten so far into the ground bc he’s been front and centre in the news for nearly four loving years at this point.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Especially when they try to lampoon Trump. The Onion and talk show hosts. Reality is more absurd than fiction and “Donald Trump is dumb” has been beaten so far into the ground bc he’s been front and centre in the news for nearly four loving years at this point.

Hypernormalisation wins the day again!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since when wasn't the Onion topical or lampooning politics?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

having a billion-candle screen three feet from my face... children screaming at one other from across the theater

what

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The Onion is the epitome of FAKE NEWS.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Look, don't try to contest my strawmen when I'm trying to complain about people not sitting and staring ahead stoically for the entire runtime of a film!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
You know how the term Gaslighting comes from the movie Gaslight, about a guy trying to make his wife think she's insane? I think we should use a different term for the same concept, based off a movie with a similar premise.

From now on, instead of gaslighting, I want everyone to say screaming skulling.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
What does gaslighting really mean? I can google it, someone itt wanna explain it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

doverhog posted:

What does gaslighting really mean? I can google it, someone itt wanna explain it.

The term Gaslighting comes from the movie Gaslight, about a guy trying to make his wife think she's insane.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That film also marks the first time in American cinema that a character said the phrase “bitches be crazy”

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So it's trying to make someone think they are insane? Seems like a pretty narrow definition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the term has expanded a bit- like in an abusive relation, gaslighting can mean the abuser isn’t straight up trying make you think you’re crazy but can be trying to make you think you’re the cause of their abusive behaviour.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

It's when an abuser tries to make the person they're abusing stop trusting their own judgement

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Also, please, screaming skulling

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Also, please, screaming skulling

people only use phrases akin to gaslighting if the name for it doesn't have a million syllables.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

It's when an abuser tries to make the person they're abusing stop trusting their own judgement

A much better explanation of it.

Also, screamskulling is a sex move and is too similar.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gaslighting someone isn't nearly as fun as Moonlighting someone. That's where you convince them to solve different mysteries each week.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mr. Rogers and Tom Hanks are literally the only celebrities I truly believe are not sex pests.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mr. Rogers and Tom Hanks are literally the only celebrities I truly believe are not sex pests.

If we're counting dead ones, add Robin Williams to the list.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The Channel Islands absolutely collaborated with the nazis but it would've been awkward to bring it up after the war so everybody just agreed to pretend like it was OK

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Countries like Finland, Austria, and Germany also collaborated with the nazis and after the war we still pretend it is ok.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also France. Vichy was more enthusiastic about rounding up jews than Italy was.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I don't think the US is ipretending to find it acceptable.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Sometimes it's deliberately trying to undermine the actual sanity of the victim but other times it's ultimately a side effect of DARVOing everything. In the end the abuser just wants to control the victim and it's one of many techniques they'll use. Sometimes it isn't intentional but the result is gaslighting.

It's also an interrogation technique meant to break a person's will. Nasty poo poo no matter what way you slice it though.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you'd think "don't pee on teenage girls" would be such an easy rule to follow, but I guess R Kelly missed the day they taught that in sex ed

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

you'd think "don't pee on teenage girls" would be such an easy rule to follow, but I guess R Kelly missed the day they taught that in sex ed

He missed that and got caught like 20 years ago, and then kept working and being a celebrity while doing the same thing except on a bigger scale until just lately. Great world we have here people, well done.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

He missed that and got caught like 20 years ago, and then kept working and being a celebrity while doing the same thing except on a bigger scale until just lately. Great world we have here people, well done.

the fact that the R Kelly episode of the Boondocks (from 2005) is still relevant to this day is stunning, really. Hell, the fact that he hadn't gotten the boot from everyone a year or two ago speaks volumes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

poo poo, Dave Chappelle had a skit about him pissing on kids earlier than that.

Also no one cared about Bill Cosby being a rapist until Hannibal Buress made a joke about it even though the information was widely available.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

These are just the people that got caught now. Just imagine how many people the Koch brothers, or Putin, or the Saudi Royals, rape on the regular. Just imagine what Trump got away with. Is still getting away with.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
dont make emmyok tap the thread name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So how about Worcestershire sauce? It's perfect on everything that's not a dessert, and I don't eat desserts or sugar. If god came down and handed us a sauce, well he wouldn't because it already exists and some english dude made it by accident.

Is this unpopular. :shrug: I can argue with you about sugar or desserts I guess if you want.