Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Houndoom
"If you are burned by the flames it shoots from its mouth, the pain will never go away."

Victreebel
"Lures prey with the sweet aroma of honey. Swallowed whole, the prey is dissolved in a day, bones and all."

Cacturne
"If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Infinitum posted:

Yamask - Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=041811

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

“Wandering souls gathered together to form this Pokémon. When trying to make friends with children, Drifloon grabs them by the hand.”

:allears:

Infinitum posted:

"Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children."

:stonk:

“no fatties plz”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pokedex entries are widely accepted as dubious at best. A lot of people theorise they're meant to be myths and legends, or literally written by 10 year olds.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

But some of them are still incredibly good and really add flavor

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pokedex entries are widely accepted as dubious at best. A lot of people theorise they're meant to be myths and legends, or literally written by 10 year olds.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Stuff like Arcaeus's thousand arms dex entry makes you wonder if arcaeus the pokemon is merely one of the arms of god.

Turn the head 180 degrees, and you get a sort of hand.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A God Hand perhaps?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
This goat told me he's the master of life, the universe, and everything, and I have no reason to doubt him.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also he likes it when I brush his hair and feed him profiteroles.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:bisonyes:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That’s what you get for staying a boring monotype. :colbert: Shame too because unlike the other two, Simisage actually has a fun design .

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Avalerion posted:

That’s what you get for staying a boring monotype. :colbert: Shame too because unlike the other two, Simisage actually has a fun design .

Also just having...utterly lackluster moveset/stats. There's just so many Gen 5 pokemons I want to like but they had some critical flaw. I'm looking at you, Liepard, and your abysmal defense! You might as well have bones made of chalk.

As for the Pokedex thing, I just imagine that a lot of that stuff is stories parents told their kids to scare them. "Don't go play with that Drifbloom or it will carry you away and devour your soul!"

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Make Liepard's primary ability Prankster, cowards. Lemme casually Thunder Wave all my foes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Infinitum posted:

Stephen King

Maybe it’s just me, but I lol’d hard at this!

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Death is no escape. You are doomed to roam the land forever.

Yamask - Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

Phantump - These Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died in the forest. Their cries sound like eerie screams.
- According to legend, medicine to cure any illness can be made by plucking the green leaves on its head, brewing them, and boiling down the liquid.

Kill a child to gain their powers.

To be fair you're not killing them, just eating their hair.

( :gonk: )

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Victreebel
"Lures prey with the sweet aroma of honey. Swallowed whole, the prey is dissolved in a day, bones and all."

To be fair, this one is actually pretty accurate to how pitcher plants operate in real life. Our world can be terrifying too.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Avalerion posted:

Shame too because unlike the other two, Simisage actually has a fun design .

so does Simipour

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Am I the only person in the world who kind of likes poor Simisear...?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Am I the only person in the world who kind of likes poor Simisear...?

Simisear is the least popular pokemon, so possibly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the worst Pokemon is wormadam

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Worst Pokemon is Regice. He is dumb looking and I've pulled so many standard rares of him from booster packs I don't want to see him anymore.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

There's no worst pokeyman you monsters. They're all good friends.

I wish IV/EVs weren't so important in tournaments, I know my favorites are bad for fighting but like... I just really believe in Electabuzz/Durant/Pinsir/Exploud/Sharpedo/Tropius and I don't want to put in the crazy amount of work to make them just slightly viable okay :mad:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whalley posted:

Jigglypuff is the best friend :colbert:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Whalley posted:

I wish IV/EVs weren't so important in tournaments, I know my favorites are bad for fighting but like... I just really believe in Electabuzz/Durant/Pinsir/Exploud/Sharpedo/Tropius and I don't want to put in the crazy amount of work to make them just slightly viable okay :mad:

IVs and EVs are fine as it allows for a crazy amount customization (where even 2 Pokémon of the same species, ability and set of moves can function a bit differently from one another). It's really the base stats and movepools for these Pokémon that need to be tweaked.

However, balancing characters can be kind of tricky, especially when you have over 800 different characters to work with. Plus people expect newer characters to be better in order to actually be used. The remarkable thing is that older monsters get retrofitted with new stuff as well. I think in other monster-centric franchises, these older character have a chance to end up not being programmed into a sequel. Something almost unthinkable in Pokémon (well apart from the Let's Go games, but no one expects it to be the successor for competitive battling).

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 4, 2019

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zuzie posted:

However, balancing characters can be kind of tricky, especially when you have over 800 different characters to work with. Plus people expect newer characters to be better in order to actually be used. The remarkable thing is that older monsters get retrofitted with new stuff as well.
I mean, I know this; it's a videogame, poo poo needs to be balanced and interesting, and homogenizing all characters to be the exact same strength would ruin the series and be super boring.

But I don't want half my favorites to be taken down with a single charmander that knows ember okay :mad:

e: I should just make an annoying as gently caress semi-FEAR team for tourneys. I do love Aron and his goofy lil head.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zuzie posted:

IVs and EVs are fine as it allows for a crazy amount customization (where even 2 Pokémon of the same species, ability and set of moves can function a bit differently from one another). It's really the base stats and movepools for these Pokémon that need to be tweaked.

EVs are fine, but I think IVs are bad because you generally just want everything maxed out except maybe the stats you want to be low for some gimmick reason. Unlike IVs, you don't have to make any kind of trade-off: some mons are just strictly better than others. I don't think they add enough to the game to be worth the huge pain in the rear end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Treebeh posted:

Worst Pokemon is Regice. He is dumb looking and I've pulled so many standard rares of him from booster packs I don't want to see him anymore.

What the gently caress. Regice is the GOAT of pokemon cries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSMQYDYBALY

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, Gogoat is the goat

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Clarste posted:

EVs are fine, but I think IVs are bad because you generally just want everything maxed out except maybe the stats you want to be low for some gimmick reason. Unlike IVs, you don't have to make any kind of trade-off: some mons are just strictly better than others. I don't think they add enough to the game to be worth the huge pain in the rear end.

Natures are basically what IVs should be.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

The imbalance between stats is largely meant to be a feature and not a bug in Pokemon since its heritage partially comes from RPGs. So of course, the early pokemon are meant to be trash mobs just like in a regular RPG, but because of Pokemon's gimmick in capturing the monsters you fight, you can add the trash mobs to your team. Unfortunately, a trash mob is a trash mob and just like late game in an RPG where the mobs get tougher, the late game pokemon tend to outshine the early game ones, at least in terms of stats.

It's definitely possible to fix this via evolution stat boosts and varying level scaling, but :shrug:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sorry all but Simisear is literaly the worst: https://www.gamnesia.com/news/simisear-placed-dead-last-in-japans-most-popular-pokemon-poll-so-theyre-dis

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

regice looks cool. regirock too

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Robin_Banks14/status/1101340166134874113

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was recently wondering which Pokemon were the rarest non-legendary types. Google indicates that Glameow/Purrugly, is probably the "rarest" as it only shows up in Pearl and OR/AS. ANy other good suggestions?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
My favourite Pokemon is Slaking because he's the gooniest

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Clarste posted:

Luckily the main campaigns are easy enough that a Pokémon unlucky enough to be generated with bad IVs are still usable. In my Ultra Moon playthrough, my starter Litten ended up with a Bold Nature and an IV attack of zero (I only kept it at first because it was a female on the first try). She ended up being a valued member of the team despite having started with the minimal possible attack for an Incineroar (gaining attack EVs helped).

Competitive breeding should really be kept for PvP fights and ideally you need to beat the main campaign and some postgame in order to access all the tools needed to even think about competitive. Later games have even made breeding for competitive even easier and even introduced things like Hyper Training so IVs aren't as a huge issue any longer. At this point the only factors needed to have a competitive monster are the correct nature, egg moves and whether the Pokémon has or needs its Hidden ability or not.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How can a man like me tell if his little Pocket Monsters have bad EVs?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To this day I don't know what IV/EV/natures do, nor do I care enough about them for them to affect my playthroughs

I just like catchin mons and killin mons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I've been playing on and off since Red/Blue and I still have no idea what IV's and EV's actually are or how you look them up

I am a simple trainer: I like a pokemon, I use it