Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Your Taint posted:

Tbf it was the most useless power. Bad guys could be easily defeated with Earth, fire, wind, or water in any number of ways. But "Imma shoot hearts at him" didn't seem like an effective strategy.

Uh actually Gaia says it's the most important ring and it can heal people and prevent them from having their minds corrupted and telepathically communicate. Please learn the lore...

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Your Taint posted:

Tbf it was the most useless power. Bad guys could be easily defeated with Earth, fire, wind, or water in any number of ways. But "Imma shoot hearts at him" didn't seem like an effective strategy.

Heart seems more like a long term solution than a short term strategy

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Your Taint posted:

Yeah the kids were pretty lazy, all things considered. Especially the fire kid, dude could’ve char-broiled any of the villains and the earth kid just given them a quick, 100-foot-deep burial. Don’t even need to get Captain Planet involved.

Also gently caress those kids for flying in that super-eco-friendly solar plane thing and not sharing the super futuristic technology with the people stuck in smog-ridden traffic in LA. Those kids were complete assholes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Casey Finnigan posted:

Uh actually Gaia says it's the most important ring and it can heal people and prevent them from having their minds corrupted and telepathically communicate. Please learn the lore...

Well Gaia's an idiot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Edit: like, WWF doesn’t look great here, and they should have certainly done a better job figuring out what else their contacts were up to

I can only hope I receive a rebuke this mild when I'm inevitably caught paying paramilitary forces to intimidate and murder villagers

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fallom posted:

I can only hope I receive a rebuke this mild when I'm inevitably caught paying paramilitary forces to intimidate and murder villagers

But we know you intended good!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Taint posted:

Well Gaia's an idiot.

I mean, the fact she didn't strangle humanity in its crib is pretty short sighted of her.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm guessing that while "buy rights to a story to sit on it" is likely an illegal campaign contribution, "don't run that story since it hurts the candidate we like" is legal-ish as long as there was no coordination between Trump and Fox?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm guessing that while "buy rights to a story to sit on it" is likely an illegal campaign contribution, "don't run that story since it hurts the candidate we like" is legal-ish as long as there was no coordination between Trump and Fox?

Pretty much. It's lovely, is yet another demonstration of how Fox is a propaganda machine rather than a news source, and needs to be called out, but it's likely that they stayed on the right side of the law.

[Cue release of Fox internal memos that have the story spiked at the direct request of the Trump campaign and the republican party.]

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Random Stranger posted:

Pretty much. It's lovely, is yet another demonstration of how Fox is a propaganda machine rather than a news source, and needs to be called out, but it's likely that they stayed on the right side of the law.

[Cue release of Fox internal memos that have the story spiked at the direct request of the Trump campaign and the republican party.]

Frankly seems like the sort of thing that would warrant a subpoena by the investigating committee or SDNY of Fox's recordsand communications regarding choosing not to run the story. Possible that nothing is there but also possible that Fox checked in with or was contacted by the Trump campaign to kill to story.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1102521179099881472

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where is all of this coming from did some disgruntled fox News intern just snap or what

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does this have anything to do with Adelson dying?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Crossing my fingers that it’s the prelude to some upcoming criminal charges.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Not mentioned: because they voted for me, your favorite President...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102582528161001472

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shifty Pony posted:

Frankly seems like the sort of thing that would warrant a subpoena by the investigating committee or SDNY of Fox's recordsand communications regarding choosing not to run the story. Possible that nothing is there but also possible that Fox checked in with or was contacted by the Trump campaign to kill to story.

This is why we need evilweasel. Does it count as a campaign contribution, or is it the issue of the news organization to have the freedom to run stories they deem relevant? I am not defending Fox News in ANY way here, though.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Your Taint posted:

This is why we need evilweasel. Does it count as a campaign contribution, or is it the issue of the news organization to have the freedom to run stories they deem relevant? I am not defending Fox News in ANY way here, though.

Probably depends on why they did what they did, which is impossible to determine, and there's also the monetary aspect. If you buy something you've incurred a pretty easy to track cost. Did Fox pay someone for their story? Doubtful, unfortunately.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I guess this is OK because he's only half-jewish.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
AOC is my queen.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1102584535257137152

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
God she is so awesome.

Someone please crowdfund this woman a security detail

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm kind of still mad at her lovely not-support of Omar, and feeling the need to bring up the false anti semitism charges again

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I know the tone of this thread varies significantly depending on who's logged in and posting, but I never expected to load it up and find the "actually we should chill out cause trump isn't so bad" crowd. loving wild.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Petr posted:

I know the tone of this thread varies significantly depending on who's logged in and posting, but I never expected to load it up and find the "actually we should chill out cause trump isn't so bad" crowd. loving wild.

Who is saying that

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Petr posted:

Who are those people they sound really bad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Your Taint posted:

I'd have to look up the relevant law but generally news organizations have a wide latitude on that sort of thing.

I suspect it would probably depend on how the action was documented and discussed. I mean, the Enquirer is technically a news organization also, as is Gawker, but see Hulk Hogan, Jeff Bezos.

EDIT:

Here's a good legal note on the press exemption:

https://harvardlawreview.org/2016/03/defining-the-press-exemption-from-campaign-finance-restrictions/

Short takeaway: the question is, was this conduct "unrelated to its publishing function" -- that is, Fox News' activities as a news organization.

quote:

The FEC has only twice in recent years found that a media company’s activities were outside of the scope of the press exemption. In 1994, the FEC found that while a cable television provider was acting within its press exemption when it aired an editorial advocating for the defeat of a federal candidate, it was not acting within its press exemption when it included flyers opposing that candidate with its subscribers’ cable bills.
65. See Multimedia Cablevision Co., MUR 3657, at 23–26 (FEC May 25, 1994) (Gen. Counsel’s Report).

When comedian Stephen Colbert established his own political action committee (PAC), the FEC advised his employer, Viacom, that it must report costs associated with producing independent expenditure advertisements and administering the committee as in-kind contributions to the PAC because these activities were not part of its normal press functions.

66. See FEC, Advisory Opinion 2011-11, at 1–2 (June 30, 2011).

These two examples notwithstanding, the FEC has almost always found a traditional media corporation to be acting within its press exemption

The question here would be whether or not killing the story (instead of running it) was related to a publishing function. You could argue that killing a story is the opposite of "publishing" it, hence no "publishing function." Probably a stretch unless I'm missing something which I probably am.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I get the impression that Trump believed, based on his tweets when Obama won before the west votes were counted and the myth of the blue wall of the midwest, that he believed it was genuinely impossible for a Republican to win the electoral college. However, he expected to win the popular vote.

Sanguinia posted:

I think it's worth noting that if Clinton had won she could very well have enjoyed a democratic senate given that Penn, WI and MO were all decided by less than 5%, which would have led to a 5/4 D SCOTUS including a replacement for RBG and a potential 6/3 depending on what Kennedy does.

It really could

No way that hack Kennedy resigns before the midterms, or under a Hillary presidency at all.

cr0y posted:

Has Stone gotten any heat yet from the judge for his book/who framed Roger Stone fuckery?

The bulk of it is erotica told from the perspective of a fictionalized Roger Stone watching other men gently caress his wife, Jessica Rabbit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Your Taint posted:

Not mentioned: because they voted for me, your favorite President...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1102582528161001472

I know it's because he absolutely did slow walk/low priority stuff like Puerto Rico aid and all but I love 'the A plus treatment' like he slipped the FEMA head a twenty and made sure they got the GOOD boxes of food and toilet paper.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Petr posted:

Hmm, yes, I remember when that totally happened as well.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Petr posted:

Nobody is doing this, you enormous tool lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know, one thing I will say is that Trump has not gotten us into a war...at least I don’t think officially but is damaging to US interests. If it were Hillary we’d probably be bombing 50 brown people states for her ambition...which would continue US influence and power and keep Russia at bay since she loves Kissinger so much so maybe still better than Trump?

There. I did it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm kind of still mad at her lovely not-support of Omar, and feeling the need to bring up the false anti semitism charges again

She took lovely positions on this and Venezuela, but it is what it is. I hope she gets better as she goes, but recognize that’s not a given.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

sexpig by night posted:

I know it's because he absolutely did slow walk/low priority stuff like Puerto Rico aid and all but I love 'the A plus treatment' like he slipped the FEMA head a twenty and made sure they got the GOOD boxes of food and toilet paper.
If he's saying there's "A plus treatment" that he can make happen, this just emphasizes the fact that he didn't even try to make it happen when it was for places that didn't vote for him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

NiceGuy posted:

God she is so awesome.

Someone please crowdfund this woman a security detail

She has one just like all Representatives but yeah I feel like it’s really not enough for how high profile she’s become. If I were her I’d honestly be scared of interacting with the public outside secured areas.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

If he's saying there's "A plus treatment" that he can make happen, this just emphasizes the fact that he didn't even try to make it happen when it was for places that didn't vote for him.

Actively fought to prevent it from happening.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Based on my experience if the FEMA regular staff are anything like their more local counterparts they're rolling their eyes and wondering if they can just do their dumb jobs now you stupid elected attention whore.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gatts posted:

You know, one thing I will say is that Trump has not gotten us into a war...at least I don’t think officially but is damaging to US interests. If it were Hillary we’d probably be bombing 50 brown people states for her ambition...which would continue US influence and power and keep Russia at bay since she loves Kissinger so much so maybe still better than Trump?

There. I did it.

Donald Trump is literally not even the worst president we've had in most of our generation (unless you're a baby born like right at the tail end of Bush and only had Obama as your president, in which case stop posting on forums, baby).

Like, he's probably the most morally overtly repugnant for sure but he's hilariously so stupid and easily impressed he's kept our war efforts down to just "I WANNA SEE A MOAB HIT THE DESERT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE" and continuing the already existing apparatus in places like Syria and continuing neoliberal hellworld plans like ~investment economy~ and all with generic right wing 'what if the rich just didn't pay taxes' economic theory.

He sucks and is evil but yea if anyone thinks he's actively our worst president that's wild.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sexpig by night posted:

He sucks and is evil but yea if anyone thinks he's actively our worst president that's wild.

Honestly straight up I don’t think he breaks the bottom ten.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Donald Trump is literally not even the worst president we've had in most of our generation (unless you're a baby born like right at the tail end of Bush and only had Obama as your president, in which case stop posting on forums, baby).

Like, he's probably the most morally overtly repugnant for sure but he's hilariously so stupid and easily impressed he's kept our war efforts down to just "I WANNA SEE A MOAB HIT THE DESERT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE" and continuing the already existing apparatus in places like Syria and continuing neoliberal hellworld plans like ~investment economy~ and all with generic right wing 'what if the rich just didn't pay taxes' economic theory.

I suppose you can still make a case for Buchanan as the worst all time, but Trump is unquestioningly the worst since the Civil War.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

Based on my experience if the FEMA regular staff are anything like their more local counterparts they're rolling their eyes and wondering if they can just do their dumb jobs now you stupid elected attention whore.

This is probably true on the ground, but Brock Long seemed like a huge piece of poo poo who probably made it more difficult for FEMA employees to properly do their jobs (like most Trump appointees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

She took lovely positions on this and Venezuela, but it is what it is. I hope she gets better as she goes, but recognize that’s not a given.

I disagree with them but there are people who did find her comments problematic who are not CHUDS or lovely in other ways. They just tend not to be here or terminally online and they're probably just behind the curve.