Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oxxidation posted:

not to say he isn't a bitter little manchild ofc

a non-negligible part of KH3 is dedicated to how pissed he is for getting booted off FFXV in the first place

Elucidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spoilers for the epilogue of kh3

there is a tremendously elaborate cutscene in the beginning of the toy story world that looks like an FFv13 clone with slightly different character designs called "Verum Rex," or "True King" in bad latin. since FFXV was all about royalty and the main character ascending to kinghood, the callout/jab at the game is pretty obvious. this cutscene initially serves no purpose beyond giving a reason for everyone to mistake the main character's identity for the Verum Rex protagonist, despite having more effort put into it than 90% of KH3's other cutscenes

then, in the postgame stinger, the main characters are shown to have wound up in a copy of shibuya where the main character from Verum Rex is shown to be a real person and staring ominously into the distance

basically nomura is broadcasting his intent to turn the KH series into a springboard to work on FFv13 again

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
A Hat In Time has taught rather quickly that if the level isn't Mafia Town, it isn't nearly so much fun. And gently caress the camera but I guess that goes without saying for this kind of game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Oxxidation posted:

there is a tremendously elaborate cutscene in the beginning of the toy story world that looks like an FFv13 clone with slightly different character designs called "Verum Rex," or "True King" in bad latin. since FFXV was all about royalty and the main character ascending to kinghood, the callout/jab at the game is pretty obvious. this cutscene initially serves no purpose beyond giving a reason for everyone to mistake the main character's identity for the Verum Rex protagonist, despite having more effort put into it than 90% of KH3's other cutscenes

then, in the postgame stinger, the main characters are shown to have wound up in a copy of shibuya where the main character from Verum Rex is shown to be a real person and staring ominously into the distance

basically nomura is broadcasting his intent to turn the KH series into a springboard to work on FFv13 again

What a bitch

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oxxidation posted:

Actually, the version of Shibuya shown is explicitly from The World Ends With You but how that connects with the Verum Rex stuff uhhhhhh :iiam: It's all chopped up in a confusing way and what I read was Sora ends up in TWEWY and Rikku in Verum Rex world but who loving knows at this point.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a bug in the PS4 version of Necrodancer that causes the mushrooms in the second world to occasionally instakill.

Thanks, whoever ported it.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Shining Force EXA: I know the magic sword chose him, but Toma is a total moron. He is definitely not someone you should give power capable of conquering the world.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Why the gently caress are you playing a Shining Force game that isn't on the Genesis?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I started playing The World Ends With You, but while it is fun and interesting getting stat upgrades is a huge pain. Either you need to find decent clothes, most of which Neku is too shy to wear right now, or you need to eat food, but you can only eat one thing at a time, then you need to grind until it's digested then you get a *small* boost to *one* stat (still early in the game so haven't unlocked any good items to craft better foods). It's a huge roadblock, given when I didn't bother the first attempt at playing it years ago, the first end-of-week boss was a total roadblock. I'll still need to grind the bravery-boosting food so that Neku will wear the better clothes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Holy poo poo the boss fights in Yakuza Kiwami are just so bad.

And that includes the 6000 Majima fights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kazil posted:

Holy poo poo the boss fights in Yakuza Kiwami are just so bad.

And that includes the 6000 Majima fights.

Boss fights in the entire franchise are bad. Youd think after 10 games or however many theyre up to theyd have figured it out, but nope.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
*me, thinking deeply* yes, yakuza bosses are bad

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ya know, I think I wouldn't have asked for a refund on Breathedge if it didn't feel like Funny Space Subnautica Featuring A Maybe 20 Second Oxygen Limit.

Fun story: in the process of getting an oxygen-improving thing, I burned off half of my air supply getting to where it was, behind a door. The wrench (which took a bunch of trips to assemble because I had no idea what the materials I needed for it looked like) broke with the door at like 60% health. Maybe I'm just being cranky because I'm sick and tired, but ugh.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

Boss fights in the entire franchise are bad. Youd think after 10 games or however many theyre up to theyd have figured it out, but nope.
They're decent in 6 since they fiddled with enemy health bars. Weapons wreck even bosses.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the voice acting in zelda breath of the wild is really weirdly mediocre. Everything about the game's world, systems, etc is just A++ stuff and then you bump into a cutscene and go "woah" but for the wrong reason

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Digirat posted:

the voice acting in zelda breath of the wild is really weirdly mediocre. Everything about the game's world, systems, etc is just A++ stuff and then you bump into a cutscene and go "woah" but for the wrong reason

yeah, and the fact that each of the guardians explains the dungeon exactly the same way. I *know* I gotta get a map, you don't have to explain these dungeon basics again, how about some characterization instead.

Since there are only four dungeons it wouldn't be difficult to do different versions depending on which order you beat them in.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The voice acting in The Division 2 beta is weirdly bad, like every voice actor only speaks english as a second language or something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm firmly of the opinion that some game series don't need voice acting, and one of those games is Zelda.

Breath of the Wild proved me right on that one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that some game series don't need voice acting, and one of those games is Zelda.

Breath of the Wild proved me right on that one.

Are there any in-house Nintendo games with good full voice acting? I honestly can't think of any.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Moon Monster posted:

Are there any in-house Nintendo games with good full voice acting? I honestly can't think of any.

Kid Icarus Uprising had great--albeit willingly hammy--voice acting, and that cast has been lending their voices to an ongoing easter egg in Smash Bros that's really nice. Fire Emblem's usually got a good showing to my understanding, too.

Anything else starts getting hard to determine if it's 'full voice acting', and exactly what you mean by 'in-house'. I'd call Metroid Prime 3's voice acting fully serviceable, if not necessarily great, but most of its storytelling is done just through text. Xenoblade Chronicles has solid voice acting, if occasionally exceptionally British, but I'm not sure you'd call Monolith Soft 'in-house' or not.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Poulpe posted:

They need to stop letting Nomura make games. He dragged Kingdom Hearts from something charming and pure into a bizarre mess of a plot with ancillary touches of Disney.

To be fair, Disney apparently is a big part of the reason there. Disney apparently got much more restrictive on how their properties could be used from 2 onwards. Things like "different Disney worlds cannot interact outside of Mickey, Donald and Goofy."

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I love Yomawari, really, I do. But gently caress me if it isn't nearly impossible to progress in any meaningful way without either dying endlessly and being teleported home to try again, or resorting to a guide. Sure, I don't lose any items when I die, but then I have to go all the way back across the loving map, dodging enemies that can usually outrun me. And you really do need to use a guide to get all of the items because some are just loving obscure.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bought Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain with a cheap key, for the most part I’m enjoying the open world stealth stuff and attaching balloons to people, buy my lord after coming off Assassins Creed Brotherhood and the Batman Arkham games before that, Snake is not a very agile protagonist. What I wouldn’t give for my supersoldier to automatically traverse obstacles and mantle ledges, and to be able to run up small shallow gravel slopes :o:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I feel like if you hold the action button, Snake automatically climbs up the small obstacles you normally have to stop and hit Action for. I could be remembering wrong.

I don't seem to recall having any problem running up slopes though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The biggest problem I had with MGSV is that its horse mechanics make every other game's horse mechanics worse in comparison. After playing MGSV I played The Witcher 3, and having to call Roach over, find whatever little rut he got stuck in, pause while I try to find out where I can mount him, jump on him and slooooowly get him going, made me not want to use him ever.

Compare with MGSV where you call your horse who bolts to your side, Snake leaps on him with the grace of a fuckin' ballerina while the mare keeps galloping at full speed, never missing a beat.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For a 52-year-old man who just awoke from a 9-year-coma Snake is incredibly agile, since he can run forever with no stamina-bar to tell him otherwise. Just remember to turn off the camera-shake option.

I don't know what Arthur Morgan's excuse is for being so sluggish, barring the possibility the entire Old West was covered in treacle in 1899.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Mar 4, 2019

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For a 52-year-old man who just awoke from a 9-year-coma Snake is incredibly agile, since he can run forever with no stamina-bar to tell him otherwise. Just remember to turn off the camera-shake option.

I don't know what Arthur Morgan's excuse is for being so sluggish, barring the possibility the entire Old West was covered in treacle in 1899.

Arthur is a big rig

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

he does have one pretty solid excuse

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The biggest problem I had with MGSV is that its horse mechanics make every other game's horse mechanics worse in comparison. After playing MGSV I played The Witcher 3, and having to call Roach over, find whatever little rut he got stuck in, pause while I try to find out where I can mount him, jump on him and slooooowly get him going, made me not want to use him ever.

Compare with MGSV where you call your horse who bolts to your side, Snake leaps on him with the grace of a fuckin' ballerina while the mare keeps galloping at full speed, never missing a beat.

This was something I loved about the first RDR as well, the horses did a lot of dumb stuff and got themselves killed a lot but I always loved that when you called them they appeared behind you and ran by and then past you, so when you hopped on you were already at a full gallop straight ahead.

My least favorite horse thing is RDR2 and Zelda BOTW having your horses remain wherever you left them and you can’t whistle for them if they’re out of a certain range, so you have to constantly babysit them if you want to make sure they’ll be there when you need them

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arthur is canonically fatter than a cow/pig hybrid and possibly has the dreaded Lumbago. Must have caught it from Uncle.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My least favorite horse thing is RDR2 and Zelda BOTW having your horses remain wherever you left them and you can’t whistle for them if they’re out of a certain range, so you have to constantly babysit them if you want to make sure they’ll be there when you need them

Or have any stable wrangle them on over

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Mar 4, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This was something I loved about the first RDR as well, the horses did a lot of dumb stuff and got themselves killed a lot but I always loved that when you called them they appeared behind you and ran by and then past you, so when you hopped on you were already at a full gallop straight ahead.

Horses in zelda really feel like way more trouble than they’re worth. They’re decently faster than sprinting but you have to spend time going through a menu to get them out at a stable and then you’re basically locked to roads because the moment you want to actually explore something at a different elevation or across water you have to leave them, and then you’re not getting them back unless you go back to the road or another stable. I really miss witcher 3 just magically teleporting the horse nearby offscreen when you whistle for it.

This is also after you spend awhile training the thing just so it doesn’t snap 45 degrees to the side while galloping and try to get you killed

With how much the terrain varies in that game, after I take a horse along a road once, I’m generally not using it at all in that area anymore; I’m teleporting to the nearest tower/shrine on a mountain and just parachuting in a straight line wherever I want to go instead of teleporting to the nearest stable, going through the menu to get the horse, and riding along the nearest road, which will not be in a straight line and probably won’t get me very close to where I want to be

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I need to figure out how to get the video I took but there's a clip of my horse in BotW just deciding to veer off the road randomly and run at the edge of a cliff where the fastest way to readjust was hoping off the thing and whistle because God forbid it have fluid motion.

Because immersion

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

my horse in BotW just deciding to veer off the road randomly and run at the edge of a cliff

Solid realistic horse AI.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I need to figure out how to get the video I took but there's a clip of my horse in BotW just deciding to veer off the road randomly and run at the edge of a cliff where the fastest way to readjust was hoping off the thing and whistle because God forbid it have fluid motion.

Because immersion

go to your album, select the video, and there should be an option to upload it to twitter

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

spit on my clit posted:

go to your album, select the video, and there should be an option to upload it to twitter

That would require signing up for Twitter and then linking the two accounts. It would probably be easier to just plug the SD card into the computer.

Necrothatcher posted:

Solid realistic horse AI.

This is true. But I recorded the thing after being assured the horses never have trouble following the road.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

This is true. But I recorded the thing after being assured the horses never have trouble following the road.

They don't. except when they do
Man, horses suck in just about every game I've played. Both times I've tried out BotW I've given up and opened up the map pretty much entirely on foot.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

To be fair, Disney apparently is a big part of the reason there. Disney apparently got much more restrictive on how their properties could be used from 2 onwards. Things like "different Disney worlds cannot interact outside of Mickey, Donald and Goofy."

That one was always the thing, like how they were only allowed to use Mickey for one scene in KH1. The more recent issue is that they properties they're using are relatively new, so instead of the one guy in charge of Alice in Wonderland they have the entire team of Frozen watching their every line of code and frame of animation. Which is why Woody can tell a lovely anime teen that nobody ever loved him, but Elsa goes through her entire movie, uninterrupted, just off screen.

Disney's rules are dragging Kingdom Hearts down, is what I'm saying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

Because immersion

Oh poor ol’ Epona, thought of ants and died

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Since we're on the subject of horses, they're one of the few things I never really understood in Skyrim. Outside of their ability to make physics their bitch by climbing near-vertical slopes, they don't really do anything terribly useful. Beyond a few rare instances where I needed to cross a lot of empty space in a hurry, I could either just fast travel to my destination, walk and enjoy the environment (and inevitably run into yet another group of necromancer punks who needed their skulls caved in:black101:), or I was going somewhere a horse wasn't suited for.

Plus they would usually get roped into combat and die in like five seconds anyway. And my companion couldn't even ride along with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Dragon Quest XI had the most enjoyable horse I've recently played with. Most importantly, you can still gather materials and fight enemies on horseback. You gather faster, actually, because on a horse you don't need to wait for the mining or harvesting animations. The horse goes almost anywhere you can go, you can still fight anything you want to fight, and moving to maps where you can't take the horse is quick and automatic.

I want to use my horse in BOTW, but between the no climbing, no harvesting, and awkward fighting, it's just such a hassle.

Darksiders 3 is also a bummer horse-wise, because you don't even get a horse, despite being a horse(wo)man of the apocalypse.