Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCnsQy6eHPA

Zero One has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Mar 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Random, but there are many animated movies or series I cannot loving stand because of a certain voice. How to Train Your Dragon, the loving main character Hiccup. His voice is so annoying. All the Ice Age movies because Ray Romano never shifted from his usual voice. Tony Jay had a perfect deep loving voice that was nowhere near anyone like tara strong or scott mcneil's, but damnit it never was horrible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Croogs was terrible in many ways, but the fact caveman Nic Cage sounds just like regular Nic Cage was really annoying.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm okay with The Croods up until the cop out ending.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Random, but there are many animated movies or series I cannot loving stand because of a certain voice. How to Train Your Dragon, the loving main character Hiccup. His voice is so annoying. All the Ice Age movies because Ray Romano never shifted from his usual voice. Tony Jay had a perfect deep loving voice that was nowhere near anyone like tara strong or scott mcneil's, but damnit it never was horrible.

Hiccup sounds like a smarmy 30 year old surrounded by people he doesn’t want to respect, no matter how much better than him they are. Just the worst voice for that character.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

muscles like this! posted:

I know, I just wanted to show that off because it is hilarious.

Understandable.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My very simple one for the umbrella academy is that there would be no way you’d have your eye ripped out and be fitted for a fake eye in less than 24 hours.

Edit:
Never mind. Looks like a timeline change
Edit 2: it’s been said but goddamn monkey, maybe clue some people in you rear end in a top hat.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Mar 3, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Random, but there are many animated movies or series I cannot loving stand because of a certain voice.

This except I get irrationally irritated when i recognize and KNOW the voice but can't for the life of me pin it down. I find it incredibly distracting and will often pause to go look up the cast just so can get over it and enjoy the film.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
UA also did the sin of giving away in the episode what was going to happen in That Episode The Day That Wasn't and then the title of the next episode being The Day That Was.

All it existed to do was to put together key plot points that the viewers probably missed by that point because of either poor pacing, unclear dialogue, or general fuckery, and put it into a nice even package for you to go "Oh, okay, that's what's going on," and then undo it so they can tell a different story and you just yell at the characters some more for being complete idiots.

With Klaus, I know there's the scene where his brother punches someone, and then Hargreeves says "You don't know your potential", but then he straight up, with no practicing or focusing, only a few lines of "What does that mean", astral projects his dead brother forward. Like nah, I'd buy it if he was able to do more on his own will, but to go from 0-100 like that is bad story telling.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Xenoletum posted:

UA also did the sin of giving away in the episode what was going to happen in That Episode The Day That Wasn't and then the title of the next episode being The Day That Was.

All it existed to do was to put together key plot points that the viewers probably missed by that point because of either poor pacing, unclear dialogue, or general fuckery, and put it into a nice even package for you to go "Oh, okay, that's what's going on," and then undo it so they can tell a different story and you just yell at the characters some more for being complete idiots.

With Klaus, I know there's the scene where his brother punches someone, and then Hargreeves says "You don't know your potential", but then he straight up, with no practicing or focusing, only a few lines of "What does that mean", astral projects his dead brother forward. Like nah, I'd buy it if he was able to do more on his own will, but to go from 0-100 like that is bad story telling.

We literally see him sit down and practice it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EoRaptor posted:

Hiccup sounds like a smarmy 30 year old surrounded by people he doesn’t want to respect, no matter how much better than him they are. Just the worst voice for that character.

I dunno, I thought his voice was fitting for an awkward teenager who has trouble fitting in. But there's a common thing with movies where while the adults at least try to affect the relevant accent, the kids are all American. (or British) Because it's a lot harder to ship over kids with the right accent and all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hiccup sounds a lot better in the TV show, Dragons: Riders of Berk for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's a pretty common thing where TV animation has a long history and a lot of experienced voice actors with wide ranges (who tend to be so prolific that it leads to some amusing role crossover, and often also appear in video games) who sometimes get work in movies, and then modern CGI blockbusters have celebrity voice actors who half the time phone or in or just use their regular voice.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
He has the same voice in the TV show that he has in the movies.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a pretty common thing where TV animation has a long history and a lot of experienced voice actors with wide ranges (who tend to be so prolific that it leads to some amusing role crossover, and often also appear in video games) who sometimes get work in movies, and then modern CGI blockbusters have celebrity voice actors who half the time phone or in or just use their regular voice.

The 90s were a particularly weird time for this; there were two billion celebrity starlets and approximately three female voice actors. If you watched anything animated and didn't see Tress MacNeille or Kath Soucie's names it was sort of a shock. See also: Rob Paulson being in basically everything, Nolan goddamn North

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Tara Strong, Rob Paulsen, and Steve Blum.

They're everywhere

And, in some shows even today, you have different singing voices, but the small but prolific talent pool can mean characters will talk to each other, and then sing to each other but in the opposite roles. Or talk to themselves in a scene (John DiMaggio has quite a few of these).

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Mar 3, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And the funny thing is, it goes way back to the birth of the medium. Mel Blanc was a famous man of a thousand voices. And radio shows often did something similar.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the funny thing is, it goes way back to the birth of the medium. Mel Blanc was a famous man of a thousand voices. And radio shows often did something similar.

"There are only five real people in Hollywood. Everybody else is Mel Blanc.", is a quote from Jack Benny, a comedian so old he started out as a vaudeville act warming up for the Marx brothers.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Queen Combat posted:

Tara Strong, Rob Paulsen, and Steve Blum.

They're everywhere

And, in some shows even today, you have different singing voices, but the small but prolific talent pool can mean characters will talk to each other, and then sing to each other but in the opposite roles. Or talk to themselves in a scene (John DiMaggio has quite a few of these).
I like how Rob Paulsen has worked for TMNT over the eras and got different turtles each time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Movie villains that only make sense because of movie magic. When it's something like John Wick which isn't really meant to be taken super seriously in terms of how everyone is terrified of him like he's some supernatural being I don't really mind it. In Blackway though, it's like if John Wick was the bad guy but they don't even try to justify it. You're just supposed to buy that this Blackway guy is scary because he has a spooky name and kills people sometimes. He's just some dude. If it was real life where he can't teleport and know exactly where you are at all times like he's wallhacking, all you'd have to do is shoot/arrest him.

But instead of that we just get an hour+ of anthony hopkins asking where blackway is and townsfolk being "oh you don't want to find blackway".

also almost all of julia stiles's roles annoy me but this one is pretty bad. She doesn't really do anything most of the movie except sit in the back seat and let the old dude do all the work.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

Or talk to themselves in a scene (John DiMaggio has quite a few of these).

H Jon Benjamin hated doing this so the two characters he voiced in home movies (coach mcguirk and jason) never talked to each other in scenes

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Umbrella Academy:

So they have the technology to sustain life on the moon and the ability to send daily packages to earth, but no one has a cell phone?

Have you not heard of the 80s?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you not heard of the 80s?

Mostly people just did coke and voted for Ronald Reagan

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xenoletum posted:

Did you miss an episode?? Klaus slowly builds his powers, and spends like 3 episodes in a drug bender talking about how he can't use his powers when on drugs. Then he sobers up and GOES TO NAM where he has a major experience and... bah like... no. This was very much built up and established.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Klaus probably has the strongest arc out of anyone on the show, he goes through some poo poo.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Number 5 too.

Overall, the greatest improvement in the series was making everyone much more likable.

Yes, they are worse in the comic. Even Diego.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you miss an episode?? Klaus slowly builds his powers, and spends like 3 episodes in a drug bender talking about how he can't use his powers when on drugs. Then he sobers up and GOES TO NAM where he has a major experience and... bah like... no. This was very much built up and established.

I'm aware of all of that, and him needing to be sober, but unless i was looking away at a moment in my watch through, I don't remember him practicing bringing projections of individuals into the real world

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Xenoletum posted:

I don't remember him practicing bringing projections of individuals into the real world

At one point he's playing Patty Cake with Ben, after Ben punched him. This is him practicing, and it's implied he's trying it more off-screen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It was simultaneously better and worse than the comic ending imo.

In the comic Klaus pretends to channel their dad and rolls a 20 on his bluff check which makes Vanya stop playing and ends the apocalypse early. there is still the giant meteor but Klaus stops it with surprise telekinesis

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
And there were several occasions when Ben affected the physical world at least an episode before he went full Ghost horror, including rescuing Diego(?) during Vanya(?)'s attack on the mansion. It felt pretty well developed to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Len posted:

It was simultaneously better and worse than the comic ending imo.

In the comic Klaus pretends to channel their dad and rolls a 20 on his bluff check which makes Vanya stop playing and ends the apocalypse early. there is still the giant meteor but Klaus stops it with surprise telekinesis

Oh that's rad too

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Klaus powers in the comic weren't delved deeply much and was pretty much "psychic bullshit", he flew around, moved objects, talked to some spirits.

I like that one moment because it goes something like "Everyone knew the Seanse(?) had telekinesis powers but no one expected him to stop a giant rear end space rock. Not even him." and his face of total surprise.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Zaphod42 posted:

no it wasnt he got high af until the last few including the day that happened episode. He has two practice scenes in both of those episodes one is patty cake with ben and the other is throwing the bowling ball for ben to catch it both show that he can't figure it out. I think him using the power is more of a reflex of bens strong feelings towards his siblings and being pissed he cant help. For example he slaps klaus because he is about to go get high yet again and he is getting pissed that klaus is loving around post nam. He saves diego while klaus is impotently shrugging his shoulders at ben. It's not well built up but if its the ghost hijacking his body it makes sense with in what is shown in the show.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I took the day off work due to flu and spent the day listening to Friends. And it's come up a lot but God drat are they all miserable people.

At least one episode had Hugh Laurie point that out to Rachel

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are pretty much all wealthy and white living in NYC in huge apartments so I disagree

They can spend hours in the middle of the day hanging out at a coffee shop and that's the ultimate luxury

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Matrix Revolutions came out in 2003 and that's the only example I can see of anyone ever getting hit and actually catching themselves rather than crashing into a road or something. Why is that not the norm already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmH1M4DSSU&t=254s

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mu Zeta posted:

They are pretty much all wealthy and white living in NYC in huge apartments so I disagree

They can spend hours in the middle of the day hanging out at a coffee shop and that's the ultimate luxury

Monica lived in a rent controlled place she jacked from her dead Grandma. I think Chandler foots the bill for him and Joey.

But they're just hateful awful people.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing that irritates me about friends is they are pretty much just as hateful as the people on seinfeld, but they commit the additional sin of not even being funny to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Miss chanandler bong