Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think i would actually really be into wwe doing a shoot grappling tournament, no striking kinda like what metamoris was doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The American Dream posted:

I have zero interest in watching that. But I’m absolutely happy that this type of thing is there.

Yeah, I was just thinking it's not my jam but I'm super glad there's a place where that sort of thing gets published. For someone who's into that sort of thing, a video like that is a dream come true.

Personally I'd love it if they'd start acquiring the rights to and publishing promos cut by WWE stars back when they were in the indys. The moment I became a huge CM Punk fan was his "Drink your poison, I want you to die!" promo in England. I still to this day adore the Paul London and Bryan Danielson "Pod people" promo. There's so much good stuff out there from current and I'm sure HoF performers that could just get thrown on the Network as a small bonus thing.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

rovert posted:

WWE Network uploaded a grappling contest between Craig Pittman and Booker T at the WCW Power Plant.

https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/1101127387633332225

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miSys2r63Ao

i know this is extremely not fair to craig pittman, but i can only see him now as that guy that got chewed up by aleksandr karelin

a lot of guys got chewed up by karelin

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I've always wanted this to be adopted by every TV Wrestling company

https://twitter.com/BossMoz/status/1101833952564637696

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

rovert posted:

I love Bam Bam's reaction. Hands on hips and he doesn't even look angry, just disappointed.

I guess nobody told him that there would be pyro in the middle of his match. Or, more likely, there were timing issues, and WCW in it's wisdom decided that they absolutely HAD to do the explody things exactly on the start of the 2nd hour, in ring action be damned.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

rovert posted:

Further proof that WCW was the best. WWE wouldn't even spring for Gillberg's pyro now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kevinnashcitizenoftheworld.gif

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Has Schiavone ever talked about no-selling the fact that there was a match in the ring when their 2nd Hour cue kicked in or were they all on autopilot at that point

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Has Schiavone ever talked about no-selling the fact that there was a match in the ring when their 2nd Hour cue kicked in or were they all on autopilot at that point

Nitro commentary had a habit of ignoring midcard matches in favor of anything deemed more important, even if the more important thing was literally just the passage of time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nitro commentary had a habit of ignoring midcard matches in favor of anything deemed more important, even if the more important thing was literally just the passage of time.

Yeah it's the most jarring thing about WCW because the commentators are legally required to just talk about the main event angle every 30 seconds, even if the match is on a level never seen at that time in WWF.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is cost-cutting the reason they rarely do fireworks anymore? Or has it been since the pyro rope fell on the crowd during that one WrestleMania?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is cost-cutting the reason they rarely do fireworks anymore? Or has it been since the pyro rope fell on the crowd during that one WrestleMania?

Yes, it was all cost cutting.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bring in a modern day IRS to be blamed for stuff like no more pyro whose catch phrase is “the cost has been cut”

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Kevinnashcitizenoftheworld.gif

I don't care what the Retro Reviews say, I love Buffer. He is as hammy as prowrestling should be.

Speaking of the reviews and the WCW commentators, I gotta find the Nitro where Bobby and Tony just totally give up and spend all night insulting each other. I think it was the one where Kidman won the WCW Cruiserweight Title for the first time? No idea why they gave up then since WCW was still very much alive at that point.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't care what the Retro Reviews say, I love Buffer. He is as hammy as prowrestling should be.

I can't get mad at a company trying to make big matches feel special. I mean, at least the effort was there!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Buffer's introductions were good. Wrestling thrives on making poo poo look important.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Buffer's introductions were good. Wrestling thrives on making poo poo look important.

IIRC, he got $100,000 for every appearance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

IIRC, he got $100,000 for every appearance.

Was more like 10K.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Michael Buffer in the mid to late 1990s would only agree to deals where he received money specifically for saying the phrase "let's get ready to rumble" independent of the agreed price for his announcing. i could believe he gave them a discount given that it was a weekly gig for a while but it probably scaled with the event. He likely did make close to 100,000 for one shot at some point or another, but not regularly. He is a white supremacist. I'm talking about The Undertaker there.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Bruce Buffer was the superior Buffer bro anyway.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Michael Buffer was paid $10,000 per appearance to not give a poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Michael Buffer was paid $10,000 per appearance to not give a poo poo.

"Bret 'Hitman' CLARK!" *cashes check*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The amount of times he called it “Hulk-mania”...

Actually, I’ve always wondered about WCW hiring Buffer. Did they do it simply because he has a distinctive voice and an important quality to his announcements? Or was part of it petty in that the WWF wouldn’t be able to use him for the Royal Rumble with his appropriate catchphrase?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It's because he's the greatest boxing announcer of all time and him standing there gives your match more credibility

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Smoking Crow posted:

It's because he's the greatest boxing announcer of all time and him standing there gives your match more credibility

That was the first part of the question, thank you. I just still find it funny that they spent millions on him over the years and he still refused to learn anyone’s name.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His fierce competitiveness and desire to win has earned him the label of Bad Boy, and he's proud of it. Because he's so good, he's as bad as he wants to be. And that's very, very bad. Ladies and gentlemen, the ultimate bad boy, Dennis Rodman

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BGrifter posted:

Bruce Buffer was the superior Buffer bro anyway.

until you read their twitters. Michael Buffer is pretty cool.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

WCW wasted so much money but even if it was just the millionth Hogan squashing someone match they made it feel like a big deal and I respect that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's cool that WCW wanted to put on a better product for the fans so they spent half a million on buffer and a million on Voodoo Child (Slight Return) instead of buying a boat called the Sexy Bitch.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

They should have had buffer do his announcements from the Sexy Bitch's deck while pyro goes off behind him and Voodoo Child (Slight Return) plays

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm wondering how much Buffer has been paid for his Rocky movie appearances. I couldn't find anything on Google but did see that Midway paid him $100 million to license his catchphrase in perpetuity for their Ready 2 Rumble game series, the last of which came out on the Wii.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm wondering how much Buffer has been paid for his Rocky movie appearances. I couldn't find anything on Google but did see that Midway paid him $100 million to license his catchphrase in perpetuity for their Ready 2 Rumble game series, the last of which came out on the Wii.

Goddamn

Wouldn't that be more than the entire series has made in it's lifetime

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

that can’t possibly be an accurate figure

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

that can’t possibly be an accurate figure

It was the 90s, if they'd named their company wegivemichaelbuffer100milliondollars.com it would have raised the money from investors in 35 seconds.

Of course nowadays we're far more sophisticated. You'd have to name a company wegivemichaelbuffer100milliondollarsblockchain to raise that kind of cash.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Goddamn

Wouldn't that be more than the entire series has made in it's lifetime

Almost certainly! And it's just one of the reasons why Midway is still a major player in the games indust -- wait, no, it looks like they went out of business in 2009.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

It was the 90s, if they'd named their company wegivemichaelbuffer100milliondollars.com it would have raised the money from investors in 35 seconds.

Of course nowadays we're far more sophisticated. You'd have to name a company wegivemichaelbuffer100milliondollarsblockchain to raise that kind of cash.

with a mobile app.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And there would be a pound sign involved.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still mad I missed my mid-2000s shot at raising 100 million dollars with my MMO World of Wegivemichaelbuffer100milliondollars

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I will say that I can't really find a source for it. Another source says he's made $400 million total from licensing the phrase. Much like WCW, Midway was on top for a while then crashed down hard so it's plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

both Michael and Bruce are well off. Michael does a bunch of charity stuff and advocates for good causes. Bruce snorts weird stuff and pays hush money.