Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

wanna meet dat maker

I'm @3dpronts on Instagram if you are interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Children of Dune seems to capture the feeling of being so loving high and trying to navigate a life and death situation, and then getting distracted playing with wild animals.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Children of Dune seems to capture the feeling of being so loving high and trying to navigate a life and death situation, and then getting distracted playing with wild animals.

I want to see them film that one just for making an Iron Man suit out of fish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

I was rereading Dune Messiah with some of the movie casting in mind and Jason Momoa as Duncan makes a lot of sense.

If he drops back a bit to a Ronan Dex build it'd match up best, I think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Phanatic posted:

I want to see them film that one just for making an Iron Man suit out of fish.

I pictured sandtrout as basically somewhere between rays and flounders.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I pictured sandtrout as basically somewhere between rays and flounders.

I kind of imagened them as Individual diamonds of fish flesh that were more like a swimming flat geometric maggot

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MikeJF posted:

If he drops back a bit to a Ronan Dex build it'd match up best, I think.

He should do even more steroids and also get naked and oil himself up. It Is important to me. For realism.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
https://www.thewrap.com/sean-young-blade-runner-wanted-by-nypd-for-questioning-in-burglary/

no mary sean young turn left

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
More like Sean not so Young anymore HEYOOOO

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

He should do even more steroids and also get naked and oil himself up. It Is important to me. For realism.

Well I suppose if they really want to sell duncan's hotness he should wear as little clothing as possible. It's important to set up the arc.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
somehow they went the entirety of aquaman without jason momoa being shirtless. i told my sister that and she said that took away her one motivation for seeing the thing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

somehow they went the entirety of aquaman without jason momoa being shirtless. i told my sister that and she said that took away her one motivation for seeing the thing

I enjoyed aqua man

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

funcom is making a dune mmo lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

free hubcaps posted:

Gonna throw thumpers out of thropters at assholes

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The question about height of the pillar will finally be answered in the character creator.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ray Finkle's story is extremely sad. Get the help you need, Ray.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well Catwoman is an amazing thief and she's hoping to nail it with method acting the third time around after Pfeiffer and Hathaway both stole the role from her.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Admiralty Flag posted:

Well Catwoman is an amazing thief and she's hoping to nail it with method acting the third time around after Pfeiffer and Hathaway both stole the role from her.

d u n e

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh yeah, House ferrets. We need a scene with the House ferrets.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

We shall drink the waters of funcompetence once again.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tell me of the GPS anklets of your homeworld, Usil

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This thread inspired me to try and install Emperor: Battle for Dune.
Edit: For some reason it is now working perfectly.

Maybe with the new movie coming out we will get some more games. Does anyone even make big name RTS's anymore?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 5, 2019

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I was surprised to discover a free installer for dune 2000 in high res

https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

Works nicely

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Maybe with the new movie coming out we will get some more games. Does anyone even make big name RTS's anymore?
WestwoodPetroglyph, a studio under EA staffed by a few of the old Westwood studio, is remaking Command & Conquer - but the Dune/C&C RTS genre isn't really showing any signs of life. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The RTS genre has always seemed a bit fragmented as it is. What's distinct about the Dune/C&C style exactly?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The RTS genre has always seemed a bit fragmented as it is. What's distinct about the Dune/C&C style exactly?
The factors I look for are generally: un-even tech trees for each faction, both micro- and macro-management, isometric view (though it can be fully 3D), resource gathering - basically, all the things in Dune 2.
The best answer I can give is "I'll know when I see it", because there are RTS games which come close (Ground Control and others) and even ones that are so close that only the most amount of pedantry set them apart (Total/Supreme Commander springs to mind) - and it's not like I won't play the games that aren't exactly like Westwoods masterpieces, it's just that nothing comes close to Westwoods perfection.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

D. Ebdrup posted:

The factors I look for are generally: un-even tech trees for each faction, both micro- and macro-management, isometric view (though it can be fully 3D), resource gathering - basically, all the things in Dune 2.
The best answer I can give is "I'll know when I see it", because there are RTS games which come close (Ground Control and others) and even ones that are so close that only the most amount of pedantry set them apart (Total/Supreme Commander springs to mind) - and it's not like I won't play the games that aren't exactly like Westwoods masterpieces, it's just that nothing comes close to Westwoods perfection.

Starcraft II?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always thought C&C and presumably Dune were distinct by having somewhat more active resource gathering, at least compared to units just going back and forth harvesting static resources, with the crawler thingies and all. (and Tiberium being both a Spice analogue and a handy explanation as to how you're building all this stuff at a moment's notice, because there's a miracle mineral growing out of the ground that's fuelling a terrorist group)

I also got the impression that Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander mix things up a bit by having an absurdly large scale and heavy automation, with some aspects closer to 4x gamse, see also Sins of a Solar Empire.

I've mostly only played Starcraft and Age of Empires I and II, badly.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Total Annihilation is great because any game played long enough ends with a cold war nuclear standoff.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Does anyone actually know whether Funcom are developing a game or just licensing for publishing the new Dune MMO?
If it's the latter, maybe they can license Dune as an RTS and get Petroglyph to develop it?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Starcraft II?
It's in the category of 'so close that arguing the point seems like a waste of time'. Blizzard knew their way around a solid RTS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always thought C&C and presumably Dune were distinct by having somewhat more active resource gathering, at least compared to units just going back and forth harvesting static resources, with the crawler thingies and all. (and Tiberium being both a Spice analogue and a handy explanation as to how you're building all this stuff at a moment's notice, because there's a miracle mineral growing out of the ground that's fuelling a terrorist group)

I also got the impression that Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander mix things up a bit by having an absurdly large scale and heavy automation, with some aspects closer to 4x gamse, see also Sins of a Solar Empire.

I've mostly only played Starcraft and Age of Empires I and II, badly.
Yeah, the resource gathering is an important point to what makes a Dune/C&C RTS, but there's a lot of subtleties to it (and it seems to me that Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge combined the best of all of the Dune/C&C traits by also adding in unit leveling and a bunch of the other things it added).
Supreme Commander has resource gathering too, but it works differently enough and as you say has a much bigger focus on the scale, that it doesn't quite fit the bill but is loving fun as hell regardless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Total Annihilation is quite different because of the exponential economy. Starcraft and C&C tend to be a lot more constrained.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me wonder where Age of Empires falls in here. Resources are usually relatively plentiful, but there's more variety of them and you need different kinds for different units and buildings, factions have the same units and tech trees with tactical and cosmetic variants, and a lot of diversity in tactics becomes available at higher points in the tech tree. (does remind me that the Zerg in Starcraft basically have an equivalent to Age advancement unique to them, where the home building takes an expensive and lengthy upgrade to unlock new units and buildings) Warcraft 1 and 2 are similar, iirc.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

House Ordos: canon or not?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vlex posted:

Not.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

The verb-space for dune is very large, I can imagine a bunch of different genres being appropriate

A breath of the wild thing with star ports,

A grand strategy type thing alà crusader kings

Honestly a well made point and click adventure might be a great game

Dunno, just it seems like so ripe for so much.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Try Grey Goo, it was pretty fun and was explicitly intended to be a closer-to-c&c-than-Starcraft RTS

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of Grey Goo, an awesome goon had Forged Battalion from a Humble Bundle, which they gifted to me - so I've been playing it a fair bit and it feels like a really solid engine to build a C&C remaster on top of, since I can't imagine the voxels will care one bit about whether they're a-little-garishly-primary-colored or not.
I'm still not entirely sure what to think about the upgrade system in FB, though - but if Petroglyph wants to, they can definitely do justice to Command & Conquer with a modern-day remaster.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vlex posted:

It's listed in the non-canon (but Frank Herbert authorized) "Dune Encyclopedia". The encyclopedia only names it and describes its heraldics, nothing more.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I was surprised to discover a free installer for dune 2000 in high res

https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

Works nicely

holy gently caress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Westwood wanted to have three sides, they took a throwaway lore reference in the encyclopedia, took the Lynch guildsmen, and house ix, and spun something out of whole cloth befitting a decent third faction in their RTS

i know that ix is ALSO in the games but like seriously, ordos are just ix+lynch guildsmen