Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
She also was very careful in picking King as a target, because King was in the middle of a controversy recently with regards to that whole "looking for the shooter" thing where some black women went after him and he overreacted and lawyered up, so this is Maxwell is trying to take advantage of that fracture within the left. Because King never explicitly calls her a liar, but Joy did. Joy explicitly called Maxwell a liar, but you can't push the "he has a problem with black women" angle with her. It's all extremely cynical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

mandatory lesbian posted:

Really coming out the gates swinging there

Negotiating with terrorists is a bad idea.

Also: Please don't run for Senate after this fails, John. You will guarantee us another 6 years of Gardner. Most Coloradan's thought you were a barely adequate governor and your competitors were jokes.

I also know about you sucking up to my company's founder. Offering to break your promise to your Western Slope supporters to never wear a tie if it made him happy at an event where you were going to give a speech about our expansion in Denver. It's a minor thing, but it says tons. Luckily, he told you to keep your promise.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

[looks at ID] I’m a Mexican Catholic, so I can endorse this message.

Also extremely lol:

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1102569048318058496?s=21

This dumbass probably sees this primary as a way to raise his national profile but just lol to that. I can’t see this playing out in any way that doesn’t make him look like an absolute ghoul and poison his brand for decades to come. This is basically the worst year to run on being extra nice to Republicans.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
The Dems giving up a bunch of winnable Senate seats because every locally appealing candidate insists on running doomed Presidential campaigns feels incredibly on-brand

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He has a white mom and a white dad. But his biological father is a light skinned black man and he was conceived during his parents marriage. So obviously something he doesn't like to talk about since it involves his mom's sexual history while she was married (for the same reason an extremely lovely thing to attack him on)

drat lol

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1102618497912328192

Hmm, yes, that does seem like it might be an important question

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What sparked all the reparations talk recently? I don't think I've ever heard it discussed this much before.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1102618497912328192

Hmm, yes, that does seem like it might be an important question

It is and why isn't it being asked of everyone bar Sanders and Warren?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What sparked all the reparations talk recently? I don't think I've ever heard it discussed this much before.

Warren and Harris claimed to be for reparations. Of course, they didn't actually mean that. Harris, for example, talked about her LIFT act, which is tax cuts for anyone making less than 100k regardless of race. But that gave people the perfect excuse to keep hammering the talking point about Bernie and Black people. So Harris and Warren say they support reparations by proposing race neutral tax credit or transfer programs that are not reparations in any way, shape or form, and a huge chunk of the media then uses that to talk about how Bernie is one of the few candidates not to support reparations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks mom

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

joepinetree posted:

She also was very careful in picking King as a target, because King was in the middle of a controversy recently with regards to that whole "looking for the shooter" thing where some black women went after him and he overreacted and lawyered up, so this is Maxwell is trying to take advantage of that fracture within the left. Because King never explicitly calls her a liar, but Joy did. Joy explicitly called Maxwell a liar, but you can't push the "he has a problem with black women" angle with her. It's all extremely cynical.

Is Joy reading the thread?

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1102625619534331907?s=19

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Brie is an excellent follow and read for the primary, y'all. She is sharp as hell and willing to criticize anyone and give praise where it's due.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Warren and Harris claimed to be for reparations. Of course, they didn't actually mean that. Harris, for example, talked about her LIFT act, which is tax cuts for anyone making less than 100k regardless of race. But that gave people the perfect excuse to keep hammering the talking point about Bernie and Black people. So Harris and Warren say they support reparations by proposing race neutral tax credit or transfer programs that are not reparations in any way, shape or form, and a huge chunk of the media then uses that to talk about how Bernie is one of the few candidates not to support reparations.

OK, I knew Blitzer cited them during Bernie's town hall the other day, but I thought he had just pulled that question out of thin air.

It's disorienting for me because I want candidates to endorse strong reparations policies, but clearly most of the conversation is a farce. And now I'm seeing Bernie called out legitimately from the left for being wishywashy on reparations, and I agree, but it seems wrong given the context of how the current conversation started.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

joepinetree posted:

To be fair to Warren, she referred to a proposal she has that specifically gives minorities help in making a down payment towards a home. So her approach wasn't race neutral

Also I don't think she's saying her bill is the end all/be all of ways to make reparations, but an example

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-warren/senator-elizabeth-warren-backs-reparations-for-black-americans-idUSKCN1QA2WF

quote:

“We must confront the dark history of slavery and government-sanctioned discrimination in this country that has had many consequences including undermining the ability of Black families to build wealth in America for generations,” Warren, who is white, said in a statement to Reuters.

She pointed to a bill she has introduced in Congress that would provide help to minorities in making a down payment on a home.

“Black families have had a much steeper hill to climb - and we need systemic, structural changes to address that,” she said in the statement.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Actually speaking to Kamala supporters it seems like their only criteria for candidates is they’re not old white men. They’re all also Hillary die hards

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

To be fair to Warren, she referred to a proposal she has that specifically gives minorities help in making a down payment towards a home. So her approach wasn't race neutral

Also I don't think she's saying her bill is the end all/be all of ways to make reparations, but an example

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-warren/senator-elizabeth-warren-backs-reparations-for-black-americans-idUSKCN1QA2WF

Well, the point is that Harris and Warren claimed to be in support of reparations and then pointed to policy positions that they've long held and that at no point had been called reparations or things that are completely vague.

Which led the media to write things like:

https://www.salon.com/2019/02/28/bernie-sanders-dismisses-kamala-harris-and-elizabeth-warrens-calls-for-slavery-reparations/

While only occasionally noting, in passing if at all, that the policies that these people are calling reparations aren't actually reparations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also the idea that the Democratic party at large which is currently fighting very hard to not be pulled left on MFA which has wide cross party support from voters is going to realistically push for reparations which do not is incredibly disingenuous.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's related to some inter-PoC drama that's been taking off lately on Twitter. I'm not that versed in it, but as best as I can tell (please, someone, correct me on all the bits I'm horribly off-base on, because my understanding is pretty basic), the longtime friction between African-Americans and more recent African immigrants to America has erupted into a movement calling itself American Descendants of Slavery (#ADOS), which argues that African-Americans who can trace their American roots back to before the Civil War are entitled to more generous treatment than transplants who've only been here a generation or two at most. It argues that African-Americans who were brought here as slaves in the 1700s are not members of the same group as (for example) a first-generation African-American whose parents came here from Africa in the 1970s, and that the two groups should be treated differently in both rhetoric and policy, despite their similar skin color.

Because reparations for slavery (and the idea that those reparations should be limited only to actual descendants of slaves) are fundamental to this argument, they've been popping up a lot in Twitter drama, and have apparently made their way into townhall sessions and reporters' question lists. I'm sure it also helps that many prominent early #ADOS figures are well-off members of the professional class (such as lawyers, journalists, and Congressional aides) so the mainstream political media occasionally hears a word or two they say but hasn't really comprehended the whole issue, except to notice that black people on Twitter are suddenly talking a lot about who deserves reparations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Radish posted:

Also the idea that the Democratic party at large which is currently fighting very hard to not be pulled left on MFA which has wide cross party support from voters is going to realistically push for reparations which do not is incredibly disingenuous.

Yeah, it's the Schrodinger's like characteristic of Bernie. Someone who simultaneously only appeals to but will never win the vote of red state white voters, who is pushing policies that are too radical and unrealistic but also not at all different from what establishment candidates are pushing, who has crowds that simultaneously only have white people and uses too many minorities as tokens, and gives speeches that are simultaneously offensive for trying to talk too much about the civil rights movement and not mentioning race at all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Well, it's pretty loving obvious what they're doing, and Brie seems like a real sharp lady, so prolly not.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Reparations have multiple problems that mean that while a lot of people spend time arguing for and supporting them in concept, there are few specific proposals that have any sort of consensus. Basically there are two problems. The first is targetting, which has several issues: A) it's hard to trace slave lineages because of poor record keeping during the century of post-abolition legalized discrimination, B) black people who aren't descended from slaves but had ancestors who lived during that century were also demonstrably harmed in largely similar ways, and C) black people from west africa were clearly harmed by the slave trade, even if their ancestors weren't personally enslaved. The second problem is the form of the reparations themselves: A) the damage is basically incalculable; in addition to hundreds of billions to trillions in stolen labor, there's hundreds of thousands to millions of wrongful deaths and other forms of suffering, and again, that century of post-abolition discrimination, B) just handing over a big chunk of money is infeasible and wouldn't have the desired effect, and C) everyone should have universal social services, so that method is out.

It's really easy to say 'I support reparations' much extremely difficult to say what those should actually be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ZerlinaMaxwell/status/610998890876260352

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

If she's not we could always invite her.

I'm like 0 for 2 on inviting Online Twitter People to c spam and I plan to keep that win rate at 0.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

just saw someone on twitter refer to shaun king as "Martin Luther Cream" and "Talcum X." Not cool, but p. funny.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, it's pretty loving obvious what they're doing, and Brie seems like a real sharp lady, so prolly not.

Found this in the Zerlina thread about King (King didn't use the slur, someone just posted this screenshot in that thread)

that's a big ol' :yikes:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

joepinetree posted:

Well, the point is that Harris and Warren claimed to be in support of reparations and then pointed to policy positions that they've long held and that at no point had been called reparations or things that are completely vague.

Which led the media to write things like:

https://www.salon.com/2019/02/28/bernie-sanders-dismisses-kamala-harris-and-elizabeth-warrens-calls-for-slavery-reparations/

While only occasionally noting, in passing if at all, that the policies that these people are calling reparations aren't actually reparations.

I agree that the attacks on Bernie are unfair and disingenuous, and Bernie was attacked for raising an important point.

i just think it's also inaccurate to say that Warren doesn't really mean she supports reparations. Her own campaign has said that the housing bill she proposed a while back isn't actually reparations, which makes me think that she didn't mean to suggest that bill was a form of reparations, contrary to reporting. Hard to say without the actual clip though. She has mentioned though we need to have a discussion about reparations would actually look like though, and also that native Americans should be part of that conversation.

I think Warren's approach is "I support reparations, but we have to determine what that looks like". And Bernie's is "I don't know if I support reparations, because we don't know what that looks like yet".

Which in a way those positions are somewhat similar in that they acknowledge the ambiguity of what reparations really means, and a need for discussion about it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Zerlina has a powerful mind

https://twitter.com/ZerlinaMaxwell/status/1102614784414023681

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how can these people never log off.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm not owned, I'm not owned

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Groovelord Neato posted:

how can these people never log off.

if they could log off they wouldn't be extremely online

if they weren't extremely online, they wouldn't need to log off

in short, the internet is a land of contrasts

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wow Clinton people really have a knack for poisoning discourse.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

So you can't use "lie" and you can't use "false accusation." What is the word that we should use when talking about a statement about another person that is not true? "Truth-challenged statement?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You are supposed to shut up and let them redefine reality.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's just your typical bad faith corporate media attack. Claim that Harris supports reparations (she doesn't) while carefully avoiding ever mentioning exactly what she means (means-tested colorblind tax credits), so they can call Bernie a big ol racist despite his platform being demonstrably better for black people than Kamala's because he won't say word-for-word "I want to raise taxes on the shrinking white middle class and hand out government checks to black people" (and if he ever does say anything remotely resembling that, then they will immediately flip on the issue and relentlessly attack him for taking your money and giving it to lazy welfare queens with 10 kids for the next year, while contrasting Harris' compassionate approach to reparations that helps all Americans or w/e).

joepinetree posted:

So you can't use "lie" and you can't use "false accusation." What is the word that we should use when talking about a statement about another person that is not true? "Truth-challenged statement?"

"Alternative fact"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Same as when Vox ran that hit piece on Bernie last cycle about how he doesn't support open borders.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

joepinetree posted:

I believe the accepted parlance is “alternative facts.”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah that open borders article was another example of this tactic.

Take some radical fringe position and demand Bernie endorse it in its most radical form, then when he doesn't, imply it's a huge departure from the rest of the field and attack him as an alt-right racist while making sure never to ask about nor report on similar stances from the other candidates. Of course if he did support it, they'd attack him with Middle America as a radical SJW whacko and contrast all the other candidates' "pragmatic, compassionate, yet sensible approaches" to border control or reparations or whatever.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 4, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's pretty similar to when Beto's actual history got reported and they all freaked out. It's pretty clear the Sensible people in the media are all totally off their rockers. They won't actually debate based on policies (because they know theirs either have been tried and failed or are hated for being more austerity) and have decided ramping up every debate into insane levels of screaming about personal attacks is the way to go. The biggest issue is this is going to continue poisoning the well and everyone is going to hate each other come 2020 even more. I don't see how they push Biden while demonizing the large segment of Bernie supporters using this kind of extreme language and expect to get people to turn out for the actual election should they succeed in the primary.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

It's pretty similar to when Beto's actual history got reported and they all freaked out. It's pretty clear the Sensible people in the media are all totally off their rockers. They won't actually debate based on policies (because they know theirs either have been tried and failed or are hated for being more austerity) and have decided ramping up every debate into insane levels of screaming about personal attacks is the way to go. The biggest issue is this is going to continue poisoning the well and everyone is going to hate each other come 2020 even more. I don't see how they push Biden while demonizing the large segment of Bernie supporters using this kind of extreme language and expect to get people to turn out for the actual election should they succeed in the primary.

The worst-case scenario is Trump gets reelected which to them is leagues better than a Sanders presidency (which unlike Trump is an actual threat to the power structure that sits atop this country regardless of party), so from their perspective there's no reason not to go scorched earth.

Plus just like 2016 they can blame Bernie Bros when their lovely centrist candidate gets annihilated by Trump and radicalize the center even further against any hint of social democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Interesting perspective on Elizabeth Warren from indigenous folks. I thought she was starting to do a little better, but I'm not sure now.

The White Supremacy of Elizabeth Warren