Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Yes it does that so you have a way to turn the phone on if the power button fails.

Thanks. I guess I just haven't noticed it happening in the past because it's usually turned on already when I set it down on the charging pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I assume the thread unequivocally recommends AppleCare+ with a new phone?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I wouldn’t say that. I only have it because I’m on the AUP I’ve had every phone since the beginning and I’ve never needed it.

It just depends on how clumsy / prone to breaking things / what kinda job you have. :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

How clumsy are you?

Personally, I get it myself because I don't trust myself and I won't buy a big bulky case for my phone. I think over the various models, I've used it twice. Once because something was clearly messed up with the logic board in the phone and the other because I dropped my phone and it landed flat on concrete face down and shattered the display.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AC+ isn't the awesome deal it once was but it's such a small percentage of the price of a new phone I'm not sure why you'd not get it. It makes repairs less of a stress.

But it is still just insurance, they wouldn't sell it if it didn't make them a profit.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I don’t get it. My credit card gives me $600 in insurance coverage, and I have an uggo Otterbox which has saved it from a few nasty falls.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Nope, never had it. I think since 3GS I'm out $199 on repairs, so it would have been a big waste for me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I was clumsy or crazy enough to buy a 1600 dollar phone I’d have insurance, but I’m good with my phone and it’s a 6s so Let It Ride.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blinkman987 posted:

I don’t get it. My credit card gives me $600 in insurance coverage, and I have an uggo Otterbox which has saved it from a few nasty falls.

That would cover less than half what this phone cost me this go around.

Also, I hate huge cases. Hell, even The One True Case is borderline too big for me.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

skull mask mcgee posted:

what's a good case for the SE since apple doesn't carry them anymore(at least online)?

This is what I have on my SE. It's slim enough. I like it better than the Spigen that I have on my 8.

https://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Symmetry-Case-iPhone-Packaging/dp/B07HS3F312/

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is reception on the XS Max just bad compared to older iPhones? My office is in an old metal building that eats reception. My old phones id at least get a couple bars with occasional drops to nothing. But it seems like my XSMax has no signal more often than it has signal.

It’s so bad I’m wondering if I got a bad unit or I need to start researching cell boosters.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 4, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I unpaired Home with my Hue lights a bit ago to troubleshot something and now I’m trying to repair it. This used to let me choose when “everyone leaves” but now it’s just stuck on when “anyone leaves” and I can’t change it. Does anyone know what’s going on with this?

There have been a lot of automation issues lately and the only fix seems to be resetting your location settings on your iphone, restarting your Apple TV and reconnecting from there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Nope.

e: This:

tuyop posted:

Nope, never had it. I think since 3GS I'm out $199 on repairs, so it would have been a big waste for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I only get it because of AUP.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Saddle Brown Leather Case or Death!

That said, am I dumb or are carriers not charging interest with new phones?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Rick posted:

There have been a lot of automation issues lately and the only fix seems to be resetting your location settings on your iphone, restarting your Apple TV and reconnecting from there.

I had to set it up in the right order - the Home app bases itself it seems on whatever device I set it up from and the rest talk “ through “ it. The Hue app also fucks with it and it’s prefs and settings depending on if you set it up in Hue or Home first . Dunno.

Regarding durability - my saddle brown whatever case wore through so I’ve been raw dogging my 7. It gets more dings being dropped without a case but it is a very durable device. It doesn’t explode just because you bumped it or whatever.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Proteus Jones posted:

That would cover less than half what this phone cost me this go around.

Also, I hate huge cases. Hell, even The One True Case is borderline too big for me.

The $600 ($550 after deductible) covers the entire out of warranty replacement of the Xs so long as I have the phone in my possession to give Apple. So the only thing I’m not wholly covered by is loss/theft.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whats the go-to for a Slim but Rugged Case for an XR?

My girlfriend works outdoors and has it in a Pelican Case at the moment and its just too god drat bulky. it was the only one available in the store at the time and she was paranoid about dropping it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Laserface posted:

Whats the go-to for a Slim but Rugged Case for an XR?

My girlfriend works outdoors and has it in a Pelican Case at the moment and its just too god drat bulky. it was the only one available in the store at the time and she was paranoid about dropping it.

I've been very happy with this.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I had to do a factory reset of my phone recently and now my keyboard won’t suggest actual emoji in the autocomplete bar. Prior to the wipe I could type out a word that (somehow) conceptually mapped to an emoji and see the emoji, tap it, and have the word replaced by the emoji.

Is there something I need to do to re-enable this?

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

The only emoji you ever need to use is 💯

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Partycat posted:

I had to set it up in the right order - the Home app bases itself it seems on whatever device I set it up from and the rest talk “ through “ it. The Hue app also fucks with it and it’s prefs and settings depending on if you set it up in Hue or Home first . Dunno.

Regarding durability - my saddle brown whatever case wore through so I’ve been raw dogging my 7. It gets more dings being dropped without a case but it is a very durable device. It doesn’t explode just because you bumped it or whatever.

Yeah I really hate the new Hue app. I guess calling it new after two years is super stubborn but the only one Just Worked and didn't break everything else on your phone. I generally like home, it's still way more reliable than Home Assistant but when it goes wrong it just is such a mess.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

IAmKale posted:

I had to do a factory reset of my phone recently and now my keyboard won’t suggest actual emoji in the autocomplete bar. Prior to the wipe I could type out a word that (somehow) conceptually mapped to an emoji and see the emoji, tap it, and have the word replaced by the emoji.

Is there something I need to do to re-enable this?
This didn’t work when I got my XS. Then one day it did. I wish I could tell you I did something specific to fix it. :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I realized that next month is my last payment on both my and my wife's iPhones 7 Plus.

I have never stuck with a phone this long. Every Android I tried turned to poo poo in a year so I always did the early upgrade thing. We talked about upgrading to XSes, but at the same time the next iPhone is only what, 7 months out? The 7+ will certainly last until then.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I realized that next month is my last payment on both my and my wife's iPhones 7 Plus.

I have never stuck with a phone this long. Every Android I tried turned to poo poo in a year so I always did the early upgrade thing. We talked about upgrading to XSes, but at the same time the next iPhone is only what, 7 months out? The 7+ will certainly last until then.

Imo just wait it out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm going to assume that all the big name password managers are on a subscription model these days?

1Pass4 Chrome extension stopped working and they aren't updating it anymore, so it looks like I am forced to upgrade. :sigh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keep rear end: Still free

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm going to assume that all the big name password managers are on a subscription model these days?

1Pass4 Chrome extension stopped working and they aren't updating it anymore, so it looks like I am forced to upgrade. :sigh:

Try MyKi. The data isn't even stored on centralized servers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Do Apple/Anker not make an adapter for lightning to lightning+3.5mm? Is there a good one? I've had bad luck with drop-shipped adapters.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Keep rear end: Still free

:respek: I use a combo of keepAss and Apple's keychain. And I'm not tied to whatever dumb android client I was using anymore so I've upgraded from keepAss 1.x to to 2.x everywhere, like 15 years late

Shear Modulus posted:

Do Apple/Anker not make an adapter for lightning to lightning+3.5mm? Is there a good one? I've had bad luck with drop-shipped adapters.

Apparently the Belkin is supposed to be the best one but it is forty christfucking dollars

astral
Apr 26, 2004

They sell a standalone license to 1Password 7 on PC & a one-time "Pro features" unlock for the iPhone version.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

astral posted:

They sell a standalone license to 1Password 7 on PC & a one-time "Pro features" unlock for the iPhone version.

Hmm, when you go to Pricing, the only thing they show is the subscription price. I assume this is hidden somewhere unobvious?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hmm, when you go to Pricing, the only thing they show is the subscription price. I assume this is hidden somewhere unobvious?

Looks like the way to do it is kinda dumb (and likely the same for windows as mac):

From https://www.reddit.com/r/1Password/comments/8llv7t/license_price/e7ka1tz/

quote:

You have to install 1p7 and then when you are prompted to sign up for a subscription there is a link underneath that about buying a license. Clicking on that link you are presented with a screen like this: https://i.imgur.com/gOUaMC7.png

edit: Found a direct link: https://1password.onfastspring.com/in-app/1password-7-for-windows

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LastPass went from subscription to free so that's an option as well.

The pros and cons of LastPass have been exhaustively debated in this thread however.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh, my existing iOS 1Pass app says I've purchased Pro features already. I'm pretty sure I've never done that, but whatever!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If anyone has a 1Password guide for idiots like me, I'd love it - especially the Windows part. Couldn't make any sense of the UI/UX whenever I tried it when I considered switching from LastPass.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Huh, my existing iOS 1Pass app says I've purchased Pro features already. I'm pretty sure I've never done that, but whatever!

If you bought the app prior to them going free (with subscription) you were upgraded to the pro features.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ufarn posted:

If anyone has a 1Password guide for idiots like me, I'd love it - especially the Windows part. Couldn't make any sense of the UI/UX whenever I tried it when I considered switching from LastPass.

I don't even run the client, I just use the standalone browser plugin for everything. A lot simpler if you run between multiple machines all day.

Doesn't apply if you aren't on the subscription model though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I don't even run the client, I just use the standalone browser plugin for everything. A lot simpler if you run between multiple machines all day.

I thought the browser plugin required the client to be running in the background?