Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Use deep learning to put minh in place of matt in every good lp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I probably will because it also needs Kira Buckland narrating as friendships crumble

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Hearing them talk about mouse and keyboard and seeing Woolie's eldritch abomination setup makes me wanna die.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Marin Karin posted:

Hearing them talk about mouse and keyboard and seeing Woolie's eldritch abomination setup makes me wanna die.

Wait a minute, that was real?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Capn Beeb posted:

Wait a minute, that was real?

Yes. It's been real for years

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
never forget that that let woolie set up the controls for omikron

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

woolies set up is an abomination but it still doesn't hold a candle to that one goon CSGO player.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Roobanguy posted:

woolies set up is an abomination but it still doesn't hold a candle to that one goon CSGO player.

I'm always baffled when people have these weird-rear end setups without a physical disability to account for them. They're never good enough at their games to justify them either.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

I'm always baffled when people have these weird-rear end setups without a physical disability to account for them. They're never good enough at their games to justify them either.

It usually means they grew up in an era before WASD became the standard and everyone was trying out weird-rear end poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pigbuster posted:

It usually means they grew up in an era before WASD became the standard and everyone was trying out weird-rear end poo poo.

weird-rear end 40 year-olds should just get on with the times

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Matt's video on the DOA6 Story is great, real good throwback to the Fighting Game Story Best Friends videos. It's pretty maddening how he's going through the scenes in literally the worst possible way though. Then again the way the scenes unlock is beyond stupid, so I can only blame him so much.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I was watching Max from YoVideogames go through the DOA6 costumes the other day and this seems like a prime candidate for a Crymetina Critiques.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Pat is doing the President Kimball quest in his New Vegas stream and it is breaking so hard on him, it's great.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Where did Woolie show off his setup?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1101039632064630784

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Guess I better Fate/Stay out of his mentions

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I said it in reply to that tweet and I'll say it again here: That's how I play Hitman when I'm using the gun a lot and it works just fine thank you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dabir posted:

I said it in reply to that tweet and I'll say it again here: That's how I play Hitman when I'm using the gun a lot and it works just fine thank you.

Y'know, I get it when you're playing a third-person game, I switch to mouse when I need precise aiming in those sorta games (or when doing darts in Yakuza). FPSs, however...

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Dabir posted:

See it'd work fine in that kinda stuff, but in high speed multiplayer fps?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you're used to it and can operate it quickly it's no different from WASD, except that you have analogue movement control. The main issue people keep bringing up with it is "How do you stop the UI changing back and forth between keyboard prompts and controller prompts", and the answer is "you don't, but who gives a poo poo".

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So they've had dmc5 for awhile.

LP is probably already finished.

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1103348269063770113

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1103354916557471746

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MagusDraco posted:

So they've had dmc5 for awhile.

LP is probably already finished.

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1103348269063770113

God drat pat must have loved it.

As he should the game looks loving incredible.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

But does it exceed all expectations?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Tiger claw style. A powerful technique

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Monaghan posted:

God drat pat must have loved it.

This just makes me think of when Woolie played the demo..... I don't even remember how long. Like 9-12 hours?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Matt has a Patreon now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdVQm1PQZA

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

A very predictable trajectory

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

It's basically the only way to make money if you want to do low-volume high-effort videos, makes sense.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think that's a good move for Matt, he definitely puts out content that's more suited to a Patreon model and he doesn't seem to enjoy streaming that much - at least not to the extent that's required if you wanna get into that game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matt was the one that originally wanted Patreon and Woolie/Pat said no.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That always did seem extremely myopic on their part.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I never got the sense that any of them were particularly into the idea.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If you're someone who likes doing what you want, when you want and putting in as much or as little effort as you deem necessary then patreon is a terrible idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If you don't have an income while you make videos you can easily fall back on 'Well, you get what you pay for' when people tell you your work sucks. Once you start accepting money then those people actually have a piece of driftwood to stand on to back up their complaints compared to before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Except they could always just say "this is just a tip jar" and make it clear that while you support their work, they would be doing it whether you give them money or not, it's just a way to show appreciation for what they do. Like, offer a slightly higher tier for an ad-free podcast, or something. Nothing fancier, and they're set, they'd have no obligations.

They have left an absurd amount of money on the table for seriously no reason due to their obstinacy. Best Friends had one of the most devoted fanbases I've seen outside of the likes of Giant Bomb or Rooster Teeth. I'm not saying fleece them for everything they can, but giving an outlet than isn't "buy our lovely injoke t-shirts you'd not be caught dead outside your house in" would have been huge. There's something to be said for living comfortably off modest means, but having extra to put away in savings is always good too. Or, poo poo, they could use the extra income to pay animators for fancy stream intros, animated shorts, etc, like the Game Grumps do since they have at least one Game Grumps Animated per week.

And, as notable with Matt's patreon, you can hide the income, which frankly I don't know why it's not hidden on all projects. Letting people know exactly how much you make leads to people demanding things, which is of course why Matt hid the total. Should allow for hiding backer numbers too, but I can understand why they don't hide those.

I do think if this was his idea for the Best Friends Patreon, well, I could see why Woolie and Pat would balk at it. poo poo looks like a goddamn kickstarter page with the amount of "stretch goals" he's got up there. 250 a month lol

edit: also there's no guarantee they'll be able to keep this stuff going forever, or if the ways they do make money become more difficult. It only makes sense to make as much as they can while they can, in case the bottom falls out on this stuff eventually.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 7, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Everyone's income should be public imo

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 7, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think they didn't want to make it just a tip jar, that's why they felt weird about actually trying with a Patreon. Plus, if they were already having internal issues, committing to a Patreon as a group probably felt like a bad move.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Andrast posted:

Everyone's income should be public imo
Jim Sterling makes A MILLION BAZILLION DOLLARS from his patreon, how come he doesn't put out longer videos?!!! He should be producing much more for how much he pulls in.

This lady makes half a million dollars a year from artist tutorials?! preposterous, that is simply ludicrous, she's a decent artist but she doesn't deserve that sort of income from drawing high-res pictures of lola bunny or jessica rabbit and making tutorials.

etc

people on the internet are bad and telling them how much you make(oh lol as I typed that I immediately was reminded of the Skullgirls kickstarter for Squigly. Remember that? Remember the outcry, 180,000 DOLLARS FOR A SINGLE FIGHTING GAME CHARACTER????!!! even with an in-depth totally reasonable breakdown of the costs there was still massive backlash) just gives them even more things to be lovely about

Dias posted:

I think they didn't want to make it just a tip jar, that's why they felt weird about actually trying with a Patreon. Plus, if they were already having internal issues, committing to a Patreon as a group probably felt like a bad move.
oh for sure, but this has been a thing since patreon first started, I was recommending it to them from the word go. They've got a really dedicated fanbase, they'd rake it in even on tips. It'd be even better now individually, as Matt has already gotten AT LEAST 250 a month from his immediately after opening it, and that's assuming everyone is the bottom tier. If he was able to survive without it before, that extra lets him do stuff like hire editors or pay his artist friends for more animations etc.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 7, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Jim Sterling makes A MILLION BAZILLION DOLLARS from his patreon, how come he doesn't put out longer videos?!!! He should be producing much more for how much he pulls in.

This lady makes half a million dollars a year from artist tutorials?! preposterous, that is simply ludicrous, she's a decent artist but she doesn't deserve that sort of income from drawing high-res pictures of lola bunny or jessica rabbit and making tutorials.

etc

people on the internet are bad and telling them how much you make(oh lol as I typed that I immediately was reminded of the Skullgirls kickstarter for Squigly. Remember that? Remember the outcry, 180,000 DOLLARS FOR A SINGLE FIGHTING GAME CHARACTER????!!! even with an in-depth totally reasonable breakdown of the costs there was still massive backlash) just gives them even more things to be lovely about

Everyone in Finland can find out each other's taxable income just by contacting the tax office and it works out fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Andrast posted:

Everyone in Finland can find out each other's taxable income just by contacting the tax office and it works out fine
yeah that takes effort as opposed to clicking a link to their patreon frontpage and being a stupid dipshit on the internet going whoooOOOOAAAAAOOOhhhhh that guy makes 90,000 dollars a year just reviewing transformers!!! that's RIDICULOUS, I'm going to say bad things about him now

finland is not the internet, and letting internet dipshits know what sort of money you make only leads to trouble.

edit: the best friends AFAIK never provided any method to directly give them money outside of buying chintzy bullshit.

Literally just had a steam friend message me saying "yeah if they'd let me I'd have just given them like 20 bucks a year for basically nothing, as thanks"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 7, 2019