Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What happened to Assetto Corsa Competizione? The thread was kinda hype about it months ago, but I havent heard anything in the meantime. Also, the youtube recommendation hellmouth, which is usually pretty good about bringing me sim racing content, has been completely silent about it.

It's fine but it's an online racing focused sim that doesn't have online racing working properly yet so people aren't jumping in. It'll probably pick up more hype when it's finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Admittedly last time I was on it, it had servers you could join for multiplayer and that was it. Are they going to do automatic matchmaking? Because what I really want is gran turismo sport on PC in VR. I wanna just get matched up and race and not mess around with picking a server and BS like that.

GT Sports biggest advantage over every other sim is you can fire it up and be in a race within a couple minutes generally. I like iracing but it feels like I have to dedicate a whole evening to one race, where I could get 4 or 5 races in with GT Sport in an evening.

Anyway that’s what I was hoping ACC would be when I went in on EA and then proceeded to completely stop paying attention.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
ACC plays, feels, and looks pretty good. It has hotlap leader board special events and that's all I use it for for now.

You still cant pit for fuel so the 'endurance' aspects of it are just completely hosed, though I don't see why you'd want to run 3 or 6 hour races in single player, or for ad-hoc multiplayer with randoms.

There's no damage yet, and the only penalty I've seen is for off-tracks and the punishment is your lap time wont count, so I assume multiplayer will just end up being a punt fest.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It is right now, they're going to add better control in down the line so they can be a Legit Esport or whatever.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

I posted this in the Forza thread but It'd probably be better asked here:

Does anyone play FM7 with a G27 and have some profile/ingame settings they can share? I've been looking around but information is scarce. I remember reading that it wasn't worth using a wheel for until the FFB patch last December so while the XB1 controller is good, I have a racing cockpit and would like you use it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vando posted:

It is right now, they're going to add better control in down the line so they can be a Legit Esport or whatever.

Yeah I'd assume they're going to be running esports events alongside the real world Blancpain season, and you'd need an actual penalty system to make that work.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I'm still kinda blown away by how they managed to mod this into an engine that didn't have support for multiple light sources at all.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
https://steamcommunity.com/games/805550/announcements/detail/1762501075674706322

That's a lot of patch notes...!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Two new cars (sorta) plus Monza. Gonna have to fire it up tonight and see how the track feels.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
For any dirt rally beginners, I found these videos to actually be helpful within the game. Didn't know about racing lines or how to do pendulum turns properly until I saw these videos. Might be useful for anyone struggling in DR2.

Early Apex, Late Apex, and traditional: https://youtu.be/H_yBQ1Oi3Jw

Pendulum turns: https://youtu.be/f5IBdsL_KTI

Tuning (this one I really want to start learning about): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDmHpxgMxFU

Kodo fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 5, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I had to retire from a rally in Dirt 2.0 because I'd smashed my headlights in the previous stage and the final stage was so pitch black dark I couldn't see to drive

10/10

Here's a quick recording, nothing too fancy and I get a puncture at the end, but I forgot to record anything until the end of the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0qBUZ7SMs

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

brum brum. 11s off the WR. Plenty of room to improve and I haven't learned the stage yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l4zKWzv2Tk

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kodo posted:

For any dirt rally beginners, I found these videos to actually be helpful within the game. Didn't know about racing lines or how to do pendulum turns properly until I saw these videos. Might be useful for anyone struggling in DR2.

Early Apex, Late Apex, and traditional: https://youtu.be/H_yBQ1Oi3Jw

Pendulum turns: https://youtu.be/f5IBdsL_KTI

Tuning (this one I really want to start learning about): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDmHpxgMxFU

My problem right now is trying to learn enough about how all the different cars handle. It's not as simple as just FWD vs. RWD vs. AWD. The Lancia Fulva drive a lot different than the Golf 16v. The Stratos dives unlike any other RWD car. The WRX STI NR4 drives way different from the Polo GTI R5. Even within the same class each car seems to be a totally new beast to tame.

I think I have just a lot of aimlessness in just what to do with the game right now. I'm just doing Time Trials with different cars and trying to go fast but just cannot for the life of me figure out 2/1/hairpin turns. I'm playing on a wheel and recently figured out I have to use a lot more of the wheel than I was (mostly because FM7 has it turned down from fully lock to lock on the hardware). But I'm still either coming to a complete stop and just continuing on like a grandma or blasting off the course.

(I'm actually playing on XBONEX but no other thread seems to be talking about DR2)

Crain fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 10, 2019

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Crain posted:

My problem right now is trying to learn enough about how all the different cars handle. It's not as simple as just FWD vs. RWD vs. AWD. The Lancia Fulva drive a lot different than the Golf 16v. The Stratos dives unlike any other RWD car. The WRX STI NR4 drives way different from the Polo GTI R5. Even within the same class each car seems to be a totally new beast to tame.

I think I have just a lot of aimlessness in just what to do with the game right now. I'm just doing Time Trials with different cars and trying to go fast but just cannot for the life of me figure out 2/1/hairpin turns. I'm playing on a wheel and recently figured out I have to use a lot more of the wheel than I was (mostly because FM7 has it turned down from fully lock to lock on the hardware). But I'm still either coming to a complete stop and just continuing on like a grandma or blasting off the course.

(I'm actually playing on XBONEX but no other thread seems to be talking about DR2)

I don't have DR2 (waiting on VR support this summer) but in DR1 I found it most helpful to run through the career more or less chronologically, starting with the 60s cars and working my way up (but save the Group B cars for last). Learning how to drive slow FWD/RWD cars builds good habits for the more modern AWD cars. Don't worry about getting a low placement, just drive through a whole season in career mode and then buy new car and do it again. Time trials are going to help more when you have mastered the game, not when you're a beginner.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I jumped into dirt rally again for a bit and found the Alpine A110 super fun to drive. I worked my way through the 70s and 80s and whatnot and they were all pretty fun. Anything newer just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Lancia Stratos for loving life.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ortazel posted:

I don't have DR2 (waiting on VR support this summer) but in DR1 I found it most helpful to run through the career more or less chronologically, starting with the 60s cars and working my way up (but save the Group B cars for last). Learning how to drive slow FWD/RWD cars builds good habits for the more modern AWD cars. Don't worry about getting a low placement, just drive through a whole season in career mode and then buy new car and do it again. Time trials are going to help more when you have mastered the game, not when you're a beginner.

Yeah I did the first part of the historic rally championship yesterday. I came in dead last, only ahead of those who disqualified and and retired.

I was mostly keeping pace with the race leader, from what I could gather, up until I inevitably spun off the course multiple times.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

This video helped me a lot when I first got started with DR. Regardless of which car you drive or in which mode, the concepts for each style of driving should still apply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlBntwsOdA

Also, take a look at this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462311586

The cars do drive differently, some better than others. The Stratos you mentioned is notoriously difficult to drive and is not a beginner car at all. Start slow and speed will come later.

Kodo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 11, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Stratos for lunacy, Manta for composure.

As for learning the cars, I'm with the posters above. I just ran championships through starting early era and advancing each time. Once you get a feel for driving fwd/rwd/awd the dailies and such get easier.

And don't sweat winning - I'm usually pretty pumped if I finish with the light pod still attached after night stages, or without hurtling off the road full speed. Take it slow and the speed will come!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Crain posted:

It is all about left foot braking. Try moving the brake bias a click or two rear. This will increase the effect. Then drag the brake through the corner like they explain in the best video I watched getting into Dirt Rally 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgg5WWfMWzM

It's not easy. The end of that waimarama video I posted above has a lot of those 1/2 corners and you can see I struggle with them a bit. You gotta get so many things right. Throttle at the wrong time spits you off because it decreases your lateral grip but throttle is also essential for pulling the car towards the inside of the corner once you are facing the car in enough because its clawing and pulling you in more and lateral slide is now taking you through the corner. To get the cars attitude right you have to be balancing the weight right with the brake but too much brake will make you skid at the wrong time and not enough won't get you doing what you need and you are fighting the throttle... its not even something I can really explain because its so much about feel and something you just start doing after practice.

The reason the game starts you off in FWD cars isn't just because they are slow and you need to counter steer less. It is because balancing the cars weight forward to backwards is essential to making the car turn. You quickly see if you are getting it right because you'll understeer less and less and be able to take corners faster and faster. Just keep at it. (do not drive the H2 FWD they will understeer no matter what you do - drive the mini and do it in career so you get practice on all the different surfaces, even different dirt is different and you don't end up with weaknesses in wet vs dry) Also just ignore how you are placing. Just drive so you won't crash and keep getting faster as you improve.

For AWD cars a couple more little "cheats" for people that aren't interested in really getting into it. (like me)

If you want more turn - usually understeering on exit when you want to be on gas but have to lift or hit the handbrake to avoid going off

check the front wheel camber - close to or slightly more negative than the rear wheel

front diff - open it a click or two

rear anti roll bar - harden it a click or two

Qmass fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 11, 2019

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Shine posted:

I briefly looked at buying one, then saw the price, so I checked out kit versions, and saw the price (even the donor is a ferrari)
That's when I came to the sad realisation I'd never own a Stratos...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

I briefly looked at buying one, then saw the price, so I checked out kit versions, and saw the price (even the donor is a ferrari)
That's when I came to the sad realisation I'd never own a Stratos...

:same: but with a BMW M1

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Qmass posted:

It is all about left foot braking. Try moving the brake bias a click or two rear. This will increase the effect. Then drag the brake through the corner like they explain in the best video I watched getting into Dirt Rally 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgg5WWfMWzM

It's not easy. The end of that waimarama video I posted above has a lot of those 1/2 corners and you can see I struggle with them a bit. You gotta get so many things right. Throttle at the wrong time spits you off because it decreases your lateral grip but throttle is also essential for pulling the car towards the inside of the corner once you are facing the car in enough because its clawing and pulling you in more and lateral slide is now taking you through the corner. To get the cars attitude right you have to be balancing the weight right with the brake but too much brake will make you skid at the wrong time and not enough won't get you doing what you need and you are fighting the throttle... its not even something I can really explain because its so much about feel and something you just start doing after practice.

The reason the game starts you off in FWD cars isn't just because they are slow and you need to counter steer less. It is because balancing the cars weight forward to backwards is essential to making the car turn. You quickly see if you are getting it right because you'll understeer less and less and be able to take corners faster and faster. Just keep at it. (do not drive the H2 FWD they will understeer no matter what you do - drive the mini and do it in career so you get practice on all the different surfaces, even different dirt is different and you don't end up with weaknesses in wet vs dry) Also just ignore how you are placing. Just drive so you won't crash and keep getting faster as you improve.

For AWD cars a couple more little "cheats" for people that aren't interested in really getting into it. (like me)

If you want more turn - usually understeering on exit when you want to be on gas but have to lift or hit the handbrake to avoid going off

check the front wheel camber - close to or slightly more negative than the rear wheel

front diff - open it a click or two

rear anti roll bar - harden it a click or two

I'm still getting used to left foot breaking. I find myself just lifting off the gas most of the time I apply the brake. Every so often I'll manage to hit a turn perfectly then crash at the next because I'm trying to figure out just what I did differently.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Season 1 dropped today, although it looks like its bugged. Me and many other users report that the new content is not available. I guess a fix will be out soon-ish.

Also, since we have a Codemaster guy here, do you know if the community events are auto generated or curated? Eight out of fourteen community events are for the H1 FWD class today, which is way too much. The H1 FWD class is my least favorite class, apart from maybe the R2s. I guess its to facilitate new players, but IMO they teach new players all the wrong skils. They are so reliant on maintaining momentum to set a decent time, rather than teaching slow in fast out and throttle control. I have more serious crashes in H1s than Group Bs as I try to eek out any corner speed possible.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I noticed all the H1 FWD stuff too, seems really weird. I like that class though, so I don't mind too much. Of course, my horrific crashes happen in the faster classes :black101:

Got my first R5 car - was planning on the Polo, but test drove everything a couple times and got the Peugeot 208. Car is smooooooooooth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dirt 2: Whoever decided you can't use a car for a community event if you're currently involved in a championship (not a rally, a loving championship) should be fired.

That makes zero sense and is unnecessarily punishing.

The game's already awfully grindy, but to have to buy 2 of the same drat car just to participate in an event without having to abandon your current championship is just... what the gently caress were they thinking?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
f1 2018 is free to try for a few days

https://store.steampowered.com/app/737800/F1_2018/

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Hey codezombie

I've had the audio glitch in DR2 happen more frequently over the past couple of days, after not having any problems for about a week. It doesn't seem to be limited to any particular location or car; today it happened during the community challenge event in Argentina with the Citroen, but I have had it happen in NZ and Australia during career rally.

Sometimes going back to the menu after finishing the stage will fix it, but not all the time. I tried changing each one of the audio settings in the settings menu to try and get it working again but none of it helped.

After it happened this time I started recording a video of what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgMVPPlv_wM

It returned to normal after I quit back into the main menu that time. Let me know if there's anything else I can give you to narrow it down...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I just hit the audio bug for the first time today and man it REALLY stung. Totally pulled me out when I was in the middle of a tricky corner and I went flying into a tree, there goes my whole rally :smith:

Managed to get it working again by fiddling with the menu a few times, but man, that does suck.

While it was going it was basically completely silent, although on the menu screen if I tried to select different things, it would make a weird crackle static sound each time I changed the menu option. Weird that other sounds were just muted but the menu sounds were instead distorted massively. Dunno if that helps at all with troubleshooting.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Stratos for loving life. I've been getting a lot of "high engine temperature" in the notes after stages. Is this something I need to worry about and do I need to change my driving style (fast and furious: Tokyo drift style)?

Zaphod42 posted:

Dirt 2: Whoever decided you can't use a car for a community event if you're currently involved in a championship (not a rally, a loving championship) should be fired.

That makes zero sense and is unnecessarily punishing.

The game's already awfully grindy, but to have to buy 2 of the same drat car just to participate in an event without having to abandon your current championship is just... what the gently caress were they thinking?

I can see it as a way to encourage using different cars within the same class. Still kind of annoying, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kodo posted:

I can see it as a way to encourage using different cars within the same class. Still kind of annoying, though.

Its gonna be months before I have multiple vehicles in the same class! This game is super grindy and I can't even afford a car for all classes yet.

Then there's finally a community event for a car I own, but OOPS THAT CAR IS "BUSY" ??

makes no sense.

I'm gonna end up just doing single events over and over again and blowing off the campaign entirely, and that's just a shame.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So whoever suggested the Mini Cooper for starting out with seriously: Thanks. I redid the first part of the historic H1 cars and did way better. Still only got like 13th on average but It was a lot more controllable.

It was talked about before here but I really wish there were a "playground" mode. Like a Rally School skidpad or a loop with each type of turn so I can just keep trying the same turns.

But, learn by playing, etc.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Granite Octopus posted:

Hey codezombie

I've had the audio glitch in DR2 happen more frequently over the past couple of days, after not having any problems for about a week. It doesn't seem to be limited to any particular location or car; today it happened during the community challenge event in Argentina with the Citroen, but I have had it happen in NZ and Australia during career rally.

Sometimes going back to the menu after finishing the stage will fix it, but not all the time. I tried changing each one of the audio settings in the settings menu to try and get it working again but none of it helped.

After it happened this time I started recording a video of what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgMVPPlv_wM

It returned to normal after I quit back into the main menu that time. Let me know if there's anything else I can give you to narrow it down...

Its pretty rare and quite random, so you might go for a while without seeing it like that.
There is some mitigation code going into the 1.2 patch, which should help reduce the amount it happens, but I've not got to the bottom of exactly whats causing it yet, which is *deeply* frustrating.

Trust me, I'm not giving up on this issue.

Thanks for the video. That is useful.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
In DR1 or DR2 is there a way to download the pace notes somehow? Preferably in a text format?

I'm trying to talk a friend into being a live co-driver but making the pace notes ourselves takes foreeeever.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

In DR1 or DR2 is there a way to download the pace notes somehow? Preferably in a text format?

I'm trying to talk a friend into being a live co-driver but making the pace notes ourselves takes foreeeever.

Not that I'm aware of, they are also not in any user friendly format inside the game. They are baked in with all the audio and on screen glyph data.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Crain posted:

It was talked about before here but I really wish there were a "playground" mode. Like a Rally School skidpad or a loop with each type of turn so I can just keep trying the same turns.

But, learn by playing, etc.

Dirt 4 had that :(

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

It would be cool if the game itself facilitated this somehow, but I understand its a pretty niche use case. I don't think any of my friends care enough about rally to try being my co-driver.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 14, 2019

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

There is this guy on Reddit who did some pace notes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dirtgame/comments/7b1pf0/wip_dirt_rally_pacenotes_recording_all_pacenotes/
A sample for Monte Carlo for Dirt 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kI5Q1geNypJ0LDSHRxfKL374IRlU7xQM/view

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Its gonna be months before I have multiple vehicles in the same class! This game is super grindy and I can't even afford a car for all classes yet.

Then there's finally a community event for a car I own, but OOPS THAT CAR IS "BUSY" ??

makes no sense.

I'm gonna end up just doing single events over and over again and blowing off the campaign entirely, and that's just a shame.

I think I'm sort of answering the question you already answered yourself, but I always start out doing the daily and weekly challenges for spending money while I start the low level career stuff - almost like the career mode is secondary. I haven't finished my first career event yet, but I've earned well north of $1 million so far. That being said, I've never been super focused on the career aspect of the game, but I love the dailies, etc.

The car being tied up in other races is definitely weird,though. I guess they want to encourage people to try other cars, but that seems especially strange considering the cost of having 2 of whatever car is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a mysterious cloak posted:

I think I'm sort of answering the question you already answered yourself, but I always start out doing the daily and weekly challenges for spending money while I start the low level career stuff - almost like the career mode is secondary. I haven't finished my first career event yet, but I've earned well north of $1 million so far. That being said, I've never been super focused on the career aspect of the game, but I love the dailies, etc.

The car being tied up in other races is definitely weird,though. I guess they want to encourage people to try other cars, but that seems especially strange considering the cost of having 2 of whatever car is.

Yeah exactly. Plus since the events are random, sometimes all the races are the same car class like the other day, sometimes they're only in classes you don't have cars for yet, its just kinda frustratingly restrictive.

They should really let you race in events you don't have a car for with a loaner, but you lose a cut of the winnings. I'm almost positive Dirt Rally 1 let you do that? Maybe I'm thinking of another game.