Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Katt posted:

I wanted to have maintenance shafts between each floor but the dupes can see through the airflow tiles and then get traumatized by the sight of cables and pipes.

I wish airflow tiles were not see-through. It peeves me immensely. That, and they don't integrate well with floors aesthetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Random question that came up for me, do Espresso Machines transfer food poisoning if a dupe uses it? Considering tying one in to my purified shower/toilet water loop that has, uhh, a LOT of food poisoning germs. Over ten million I think since it's coming from a polluted geyser and then stewing for awhile. It gets cleaned for toilet/shower water but not sure if I'm going to obliterate my colony if I tie that water in to an Espresso Machine.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It does, water coolers and espresso transfer those germs to the dupes. High numbers like that will murder their immunity.

What you can do though is heat or pump into a reservoir in chlorine before reaching the machine. Espresso machines use an absolutely tiny amount of water to function so even the overflow from toilets will sit around to be sanitized before use.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 3, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm running into a bug where a door keeps autolocking. I've tried setting it to auto or open but it resets when I'm not paying attention.

Edit: Scratch that, I accidentally routed automation wire thru it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mazz posted:

It does, water coolers and espresso transfer those germs to the dupes. High numbers like that will murder their immunity.

What you can do though is heat or pump into a reservoir in chlorine before reaching the machine. Espresso machines use an absolutely tiny amount of water to function so even the overflow from toilets will sit around to be sanitized before use.

I'm feeling kinda stupid, can you explain in detail using small words how I get chlorine to purify water? That'd be an amazingly useful trick

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm feeling kinda stupid, can you explain in detail using small words how I get chlorine to purify water? That'd be an amazingly useful trick

One good way is fill a room with chlorine and put liquid storage containers in it and pump the clean but germy water into it and watch the germs die out.

You could even set up a loop with a germ sensor to automate it!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

priznat posted:

One good way is fill a room with chlorine and put liquid storage containers in it and pump the clean but germy water into it and watch the germs die out.

You could even set up a loop with a germ sensor to automate it!

Basically this.

More detailed instructions:

Build a sealed room with a water reservoir and a vent in it, put a horizontal airlock on the top. Get any CO2 out of the room first by punching a hole in the bottom. Once it’s mostly empty or just oxygen, pump in chlorine. Keep filling the room with chlorine till the chlorine pushes all the oxygen out the top opened airlock. Once the room is all chlorine, close the airlock. Liquid reservoirs work like storage in that sitting in chlorine disinfects the contents. You pipe in germy water to the reservoir, but don’t connect the output pipe for a bit, giving the water inside time to clean. Once it is, connect to espresso. The tiny amount of water being consumed should mean any new water sits in the reservoir long enough to be cleaned.

For higher throughput needs, use can use shutoff valves with the germ pipe sensor to control them, directing the liquid forward or back as needed till ready.

Air pressure and gravity should do most of the work for you in terms of gas, but don’t skip the steps like removing the CO2 because you need chlorine along the bottom tiles of the reservoir to work. Some chlorine will creep out when you open the door unless you keep the gas pressures equal around 1.5-2k. Once you figure out the design you want you don’t have any reason to go in the chlorine room tho so you can just lock the door forever.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 3, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is it best to put oxidizers near the top of the base so the heat doesn’t cause problems?

Also reminder to use insulate pipe out of your water sieve for your lavatories/sinks/showers, area gets pretty warm!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
OK, so yeah, those reservoirs kick all kinds of rear end, holy poo poo. I have never seen them and was playing without them because they're in the "Base" tab and not the plumbing tab. I had no idea they existed. Well that's going to change a whole bunch of stuff.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish the gas reservoirs weren’t so much bigger, they take up a lot of space!

Pumping all the hydrogen from the oxidizers into them for later power generation, they fill up quick.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is there a mod yet that lets me increase the storage capacity of item, gas and liquid storage?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Katt posted:

Is there a mod yet that lets me increase the storage capacity of item, gas and liquid storage?

There’s mods on the steam workshop that do stuff like this I think, they’re trainer looking things

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Mazz posted:

I am pretty sure espresso machines don't transfer germs, but not 100% sure. I know for a fact I've used germy water for them for hundreds of cycles and no one got sick. But that was a few patches ago.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I can't find the specific patch note but I definitely remember reading them changing it or something related not too long ago. Until I find the note specifically though maybe it was something they tried and didn't implement. I've never had germy water connected to an espresso so idk from experience.

EDIT: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/game-updates/oni-alpha/279674-r527/

To be fair they may not have ever made it work, so its worth a try I guess. I'm 100% water coolers will murder your dudes though, that I do have experience with.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 3, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
On a whim I tested it with the straight nasty water filtered then pumped straight in and seeing a dupe that ingested about a million food poisoning germs is pretty funny.

Funnier than the dupe that somehow managed to get over a hundred thousand food poisoning germs on to a food storage box in my carbon dioxide chamber and proceed to give the entire colony the shits within two cycles. Lesson learned. Food storage boxes are now chlorinated, though I still don't know how it happened.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sometimes you just find that special piece of slime that is like ebola, AIDS and the flu, alongside a dozen more virii. I remember one that gave two dupes slimelung disease out of nowhere and made my slime farm a no-go zone for 20 cycles.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What’s the best way to melt ice?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Build Tempshift plates out of it in a hot area

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So how would I use sweepers and auto loaders/conveyors to put food in to a refrigerator until it is full and then put the excess in to food containers in a chlorine storage pit? So far it's all backing up inside the loader when the refrigerator is full and sends a logic signal to disable the loader.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My biggest struggle is getting bases that don’t overheat, any good tips on mitigating that? Pump in O2 from a SPOM in a cold biome/weezeworts?

I have a map with a cool slush geyser right nearby, what’s the best way to use that. I set up some pipe to just loop around to try and cool things but I don’t have radiant pipe yet (or a lot of refined metal).

This is 90% what leads to me abandoning bases, things just get too hot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

priznat posted:

My biggest struggle is getting bases that don’t overheat, any good tips on mitigating that? Pump in O2 from a SPOM in a cold biome/weezeworts?

I have a map with a cool slush geyser right nearby, what’s the best way to use that. I set up some pipe to just loop around to try and cool things but I don’t have radiant pipe yet (or a lot of refined metal).

You don’t need radiant, in fact radiant would probably be overkill. Granite regular pipes transfer temperature just fine. Pipe through areas with heat production, mainly power plants, industrial stuff and storage rooms first. By the time you get it to your base area it’s preferably a decently livable temperature. It will take time to transfer the cold through those areas along the entire length of the pipe but the big strength of a cool slush is a literally infinite source of -10C water. My trick is to put a valve immediately after the pump in the cool slush room, and send the exact amount of water I need for my SPOMs. I sieve the water right before the SPOMs at the end of the loop. This both feeds my SPOMs consistently and maintains a very steady rate of liquid (~1000g/s per SPOM) so the cooling system isn’t backed up. You’ll have to play with the amount in the valve a bit to get the right amount of flow because the electrolyzers don’t actually use exactly 1000g given all the different parameters, or you can set up a shut off system to do it automatically. When I’m home later I can probably post a screenshot of how mine works.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 4, 2019

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

priznat posted:

Build insulated walls around your base as early as possible, heat from the surrounding hotter biomes is the biggest threat early on. Once you've done that try to keep major heat-producing buildings (power generators, kilns, etc.) outside of the insulated area. After I have a SPOM made I just use that for cooling and I've never had to worry about heat ever again, before that point you could go dig up a few wheezeworts and put them around your base.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

priznat posted:

If you have enough water + polluted water around, cooling water and just setting it in an open pool somewhere will absorb a lot of heat. Run trails of tempshift plates around the base that terminate in the pool to speed things up. Once the water is near room temperature, siphon it off and send it someplace to be used (farms, carbon skimmer, bathrooms, oil wells), then refill the pool with cold water.

Getting a quantity of almost-freezing water can be done with a pool of polluted water, an aquatuner & 2 valve setup* to cool the clean water and heat the polluted, and a water seive to turn the polluted water clean (which goes to the aquatuner) and delete its heat down to 40°C.

* Run the aquatuner output to a valve set to 6.4 kg/s, then continue the same pipe from the first valve to a second valve set to 3.2 kg/s. The other end of the 6.4 valve should use a liquid bridge to loop back into the feed to the aquatuner. The other end of the 3.2 valve will output ~0.6°C water you can pipe to your cooling pools (and feed into sleet wheat).

e: clarified valve setup, I hope. Can't post a diagram from my phone.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 4, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

insta posted:

Build Tempshift plates out of it in a hot area

ideally build it directly into the water and it will melt instantly.

Otherwise just put a container of ice above said water tank and it will melt eventually. Just...it will do so all at once so be ready for potentially 20K Kg dropping at once.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What do I do to insulate the escape areas from the main biome? Do there exist insulated doors? Or do I build a little double-insulated exit room outside the biome, and pierce the biome insulation into that?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What do I do to insulate the escape areas from the main biome? Do there exist insulated doors? Or do I build a little double-insulated exit room outside the biome, and pierce the biome insulation into that?

The heat exchange from two tiles out of your entire perimeter should be minimal, so you can probably ignore it if you have decent temperature regulation in the main area.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Late early game into mid-game I try to ring my entire base, minus an entrance or two, with a one-tile wide vacuum. With that done your main living area is practically invincible to external heat and you can basically ignore heat for the rest of the game.

Keep heat sources (generators, power transformers, refineries come to mind) outside of your vacuum and plop down a wheeze next to things like your kitchen stove and usually shower/toilet area since that brings in external water. After that I'll maybe flip on heat overlay every fifty cycles or so on the off chance something goofy happened...like building brand new gold tile floors everywhere and having your dupes pull the gold right off the geyser. Dicks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hee! How do you create a tile of vacuum?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hee! How do you create a tile of vacuum?

Dig a long skinny room, horizontally or vertically, and put a gas pump in, and pump it all out is how I usually do it. Only the gas pump section needs to be more than 1 tile wide. The tiles don't matter much because the vacuum stops temperature change completely.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You can dig and build diagonally from tiles, i.e. build a cross of tile, then remove the middle one, and there will be vacuum there. You can do this in a continuous line so long as the border tiles exist on all side but the previous vacuum. It’s slow to do for major construction because it’s all manually queued precision but it’s a 1 and done whereas the pump will be slower to fully vacuum out any space, especially as you move away from the pump.

You can also use diagonal builds to make exterior walls or water tank borders from below/the side like this, no annoying gas/liquid ever leaks this way.

Someone posted a good little visual diagram before, hopefully they’re still here.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 5, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah but that's cheating. :colbert:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Like half the things you'll end up doing in this game as you get to rockets and space could be counted as exploits so it's kind of par for the course. Steam turbines are basically one big exploit as designed.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mayveena posted:

What’s the best way to melt ice?

My favourite way is to flood the area with hot liquids. Just make sure there is a sealed off bottom to the area. This way you melt the ice and cool the liquid in question. So long as the hot liquid wasn't magma at least, then you may have problems.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mazz posted:

Someone posted a good little visual diagram before, hopefully they’re still here.

That might be mine. It was a ways back though, is there a way to search for my posts in just this thread?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

That might be mine. It was a ways back though, is there a way to search for my posts in just this thread?

The little ? button under your avatar

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
One of my current go to things with a cool slush geyser is to build a reservoir that floats in another resevoir. Put sieved water in the inner one (helps if it’s made of metal or obsidian tiles I think) and pump the cool slush pwater into the outer one. In 50(?) or so cycles the clean water will be about 15C and the pwater will be up to about 10-12. Pump the clean water into your base to use, sieve the pwater and put it in the inner reservoir, and refill the outer one with more slush geyser water. Cooling and potable water forever, pretty much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My first actual SPOM!

(Ultrawide rocks for this game)

I think I am going overboard on the cooling as it's causing my buddy buds to wilt from the coolness so I will replace the insulated ductwork with regular when it enters the main habitat to spread out the cooling a bit more.

Needs some cleaning up and it took a while getting the hydrogen area free of other gases but fairly solid now.

Gas outline:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The SPOM isn’t cooling that, the cold air from the cold biome is. There’s no visible hydrogen behind those wheezes so they are doing very little cooling as CO2 or O2 are much worse for thermal conductivity stuff. I think you’ve kind of tricked yourself by building the SPOM in the cold biome, the latent cold is doing its job but it’s going to rise in temperature as the oxygen continues to come out at 70C. Run it for like 25 cycles and look at the temperature increase inside the insulated area and around the all the doors and you’ll see what I mean.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 5, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Aha, the design I ripped it off of had a vent in the wheezewort room, was that for pumping in hydrogen presumably?

Also with the heat/cold in the biomes do they go away when you mine it all out? Like will the cold biome still be cold if I just make it all normal room tiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The cold biome has a ton of natural cold mass so it’s latent cold is strong but it is finite, and definitely if you tore out the cold stuff and replaced it with normal or hot tiles it will heat up much faster.

If you look at my post history in the thread I have a SPOM guide, you don’t have to follow it to a letter but I explain a bunch of stuff on how it works in terms of gasses and efficiency that I think is beneficial regardless. If you do copy the design, move the wheezes down, they don’t work correctly on top (they move gasses bottom to top) and I’ve been too lazy to update that old guide :v:, everything else is the same.