Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Enter The Void it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

axelblaze posted:

Agreed. That's the state I saw it in and it hosed me up. The movie has what in my opinion is the best jump scare ever.

Thirding this as the preferred way to watch the movie.

Then follow up by reading The Tibetan Book of the Dead...then probably also read The Blind Owl which doesn't have anything to do with the movie but is a good follow up to TBotD

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

She was my favorite part. Cage is an obvious love but I really dug what Blair was doing. She nailed the confusion and utter disgust perfectly.

Pretty underrated/underseen movie all around, I didn't realize it was by Neveldine (or Taylor? I forget which one) until the end but it makes sense. I think Nicolas Cage said it was his favorite role that he's played in recent memory.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’ve been comparing my friend’s power levels to Greta for two days now

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

There's a great moment toward the end of Mom and Dad where Cage and Blair trap their kids in the basement and try to gas them to death. They look at each other with such relief and joy, and both of them absolutely sell it as chilling and yet strangely relatable at the same time. You really believe that they believe they're going to save their marriage by murdering their children. It also has my favorite type of horror movie ending, too: the immediate danger is over with but everything is still hosed and there's no going back to normal

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Mom and Dad rules. It gets to a point early on where it approaches a very salient question (ie, should we curtail individual rights and empower regulating institutions to guarantee the survival of our species?) and then just fucks off and goes bonkers in another direction.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mom and Dad also has my favorite special guest appearance in I don't know how long, Lance Henriksen showing up at the front door and just immediately macing Nicolas Cage in the face

oh also Grant Morrison showing up as a talking head on TV for like five seconds was a fun surprise

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mom and Dad also has my favorite special guest appearance in I don't know how long, Lance Henriksen showing up at the front door and just immediately macing Nicolas Cage in the face

oh also Grant Morrison showing up as a talking head on TV for like five seconds was a fun surprise

That was such a delight.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, Mom and Dad is a gem and Selma Blair stole the show. I thought it was gonna blow up a little more than it did, but if one predominantly VOD Nic Cage release of 2018 was going to break out, I guess the right one did.

I look forward to people discovering it over the years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pretty underrated/underseen movie all around, I didn't realize it was by Neveldine (or Taylor? I forget which one) until the end but it makes sense. I think Nicolas Cage said it was his favorite role that he's played in recent memory.

it was Brian Taylor. They split up for now, but are still good friends. I wish Neveldine would direct some episodes of Happy! which is probably my favorite show right now. I've been craving more Crank level stuff but nothing really nailed that level of insane creativity until Happy! (which is done by Brian Taylor)

Also I'm super glad I saw Mom and Dad in the theaters for the one night it was playing. Small audience, but we all had fun.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Voodoofly posted:

I've pretty much resigned myself to accept the fact that I will never have any loving idea what happened with MJ and any kids. I firmly believe that the LA district attorney's office had a personal vendetta to go after him and that much of their cases and evidence over the years was loving shady as hell.

But a request for arbitration is far, far far from anything remotely reliable as proof that the documentary is full of poo poo. Hell, the first allegation is a bunch of horseshit in both the heading and the first few paragraphs:

There is no court in the history of this country that has ever "proven someone's innocence" and just because an attorney says he is willing to accept a different burden of proof doesn't actually change the burden of proof in a case, let alone having a not guilty verdict being anything remotely similar to a jury having "found" that an attorney's opening remarks were right.

Again, there is serious shade to throw at all sides in this story, but a loving pleading is worthless in proving anything.
That's the lawyer grandstanding, but read after that. Can you dispute any of the facts related to their claims of the accusers put forth in that? And they're requesting it to be public, meaning they're not trying to hide when discovery starts.

Many people, including the court of law, have already said the dude is lying. Why are sensationalized grisly "details" given as much weight as the facts we know. Like that the parents slept in the same room with the children. Or that this dude was dating MJs neice, who mj hooked him up with, all the while him and mj were allegedly in love. There's just too much bullshit and folks are relying on tabloid folk tales to confirm biases.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

it was Brian Taylor. They split up for now, but are still good friends. I wish Neveldine would direct some episodes of Happy! which is probably my favorite show right now. I've been craving more Crank level stuff but nothing really nailed that level of insane creativity until Happy! (which is done by Brian Taylor)

Ah, that would explain the Grant Morrison cameo.

I haven't watched any of Happy! yet but Chris Meloni is good casting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some really good TV shows:

- The Leftovers
- Atlanta
- Patriot

CP check these out!

Speaking of Grant Morrison the new Doom Patrol is pretty good so far

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Is it heavily based off the Morrison run? I know they have Mr. Nobody, which is super cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Escobarbarian posted:

Some really good TV shows:

- The Leftovers
- Atlanta
- Patriot

CP check these out!

I watched the first episode of Atlanta and dug it, I should watch more for a lot of reasons but mostly I heard there's an episode called Florida Man about Florida man and I gotta see that poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Atlanta is loving hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Is it heavily based off the Morrison run? I know they have Mr. Nobody, which is super cool

So far it takes a lot of elements from it, yeah, and it seems like the Cliff/Jane friendship will be the emotional anchor as in Morrison’s run. The show’s depiction of Mr. Nobody is great but meta in a way that will annoy a lot of people. But most importantly it’s just appropriately weird. Like real goddamn weird.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Atlanta is brilliant. Really really good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/Nitomatta/status/1102702972826316800

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s no good!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

That’s no good!

I know, I was hoping for something much more horrific.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

bushisms.txt posted:

That's the lawyer grandstanding, but read after that. Can you dispute any of the facts related to their claims of the accusers put forth in that? And they're requesting it to be public, meaning they're not trying to hide when discovery starts.

Many people, including the court of law, have already said the dude is lying. Why are sensationalized grisly "details" given as much weight as the facts we know. Like that the parents slept in the same room with the children. Or that this dude was dating MJs neice, who mj hooked him up with, all the while him and mj were allegedly in love. There's just too much bullshit and folks are relying on tabloid folk tales to confirm biases.

Like I said I think many of the cases against him have been bullshit. But courts can be bullshit in general and a pleading is just as biased and unreliable as that doc. I’d say the same thing about anything said in any court involving MJ. Assuming those kids were telling the truth just for a moment, MJ could easily pay enough money to make them look like liars in a court.

It happens every day in far less we’ll funded cases than these ones.

Again I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I highly disagree with using pleadings funded with massive amounts of money as proof of more than anything but that lawyers will say anything i a highly persuasive manner if you pay them enough. This goes for MJ and his accusers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is the best thing to ever happen to movies.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
How long until Sonic and the Will Smith genie gently caress?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone wants a good juicy interview with Peter Bogdanovich...
https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/peter-bogdanovich-in-conversation.html

I’d post quotes, but the whole thing is amazing and hosed up.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 5, 2019

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't see how the Sonic style is any less horrifying than the detective Pikachu style

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

axelblaze posted:

I honestly don't see how the Sonic style is any less horrifying than the detective Pikachu style

oh the pokemon look horrifying too, it's just fine.

pokemon being bizarre and somewhat out of place creatures are more in keeping with that film's themes, while sonic was originally set in a world where his appearance fits right in.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Lmao the creepy religious mom/daughter duo who visit the library about 300 times a week (who usually just check out wholesome family films) just borrowed Burn After Reading

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Lmao the creepy religious mom/daughter duo who visit the library about 300 times a week (who usually just check out wholesome family films) just borrowed Burn After Reading

Please let me know their response when they return it.

The chair reveal is one of the greatest laughs I've had in a theater.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Live action Sonic ironically looks fine in the side profile. The forward facing shot is horrific though. Looks like a texture mod for a steam game.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arU9t6C1R60

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Please let me know their response when they return it.

The chair reveal is one of the greatest laughs I've had in a theater.

I really hope I get to be there when they return it. I’m so morbidly fascinated with horrible movie experiences like this (or like all the kids and their parents traumatized because Spring Breakers had terrible/amazing advertising)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I have no idea how to feel about live action Sonic besides secondhand embarrassment.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sonic looks like he was designed by someone who saw the early trailers for Alita and decided they could do better.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Egbert Souse posted:

If anyone wants a good juicy interview with Peter Bogdanovich...
https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/peter-bogdanovich-in-conversation.html

I’d post quotes, but the whole thing is amazing and hosed up.
Good god

quote:

Apparently, after the premiere of At Long Last Love, which went very badly, Wilder said you could hear the Champagne corks popping all over town. What was his deal?
He was jealous. I was young and successful. He was old and hadn’t made a picture and I hadn’t written about him or done any pieces praising him. He managed to gently caress up two pictures I was going to do. One was Private Lives. The executives asked him what he thought of the idea. He said, “Bad idea.” That was the end of that. You know what he did when Tony Curtis’s son died of an overdose? He sent him a telegram saying, “Like father, like son.”

Do you like burying assholes? When you see your enemies’ obituaries, what do you think?
Well, I wasn’t unhappy when Billy died.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i've been looking for poo poo to do while I'm in Los Angeles over Spring Break and holy poo poo the Egyptian is doing a double-feature of Trash Humpers and Spring Breakers with Harmony Korine talking in the middle

I'm so excited to see Spring Breakers in a theater again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MAKE IT MAKE DON'T FAKE IT

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I really hope I get to be there when they return it. I’m so morbidly fascinated with horrible movie experiences like this (or like all the kids and their parents traumatized because Spring Breakers had terrible/amazing advertising)

You need to check out the 1 star Amazon reviews for Killer Joe from people who got it because they liked Failure to Launch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was so nervous about the chicken scene, and I was like, oh. That's it. I really thought someone was going inside a chicken chopper and turned into chicken nuggets or something. I don't know. I have no idea what I expected with that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I saw Killer Joe within the first month of moving to Chicago and enjoying all of the indie/limited release movies that I would never have gotten at home, so I saw it at the same theater as Battle Royale and Compliance, and let me assure you that nothing I have seen compares to Compliance

I don't ever want to watch that movie again, but I'm glad I watched it once