Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cleretic posted:

I don't know why I was watching it, but I was. I'm not spoiling this though, because... come on.

The Simpsons Movie takes a whole bunch of pride in fitting in little cameos and references to as much of the show's history as it can (my personal favorite is the ambulance crash still being at the Springfield Gorge), except that they go out of their way to ensure all of that only occurs in Springfield. To highlight the impact and isolation of the Simpsons being exiled, not one actual recurring character or detail appears outside Springfield, even when it would be a natural joke.

Although the Alaskan stuff has a few recurring details in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

Also, the time bomb deployed to blow up Springfield is initially set to 15 minutes; this is actually synced up to the movie's remaining non-credits runtime, and the bomb counts down at a largely consistent rate even when it's off-screen.

That's a really rare thing in movies, even though you'd think it might not be that hard.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I don't know why I was watching it, but I was. I'm not spoiling this though, because... come on.

The Simpsons Movie takes a whole bunch of pride in fitting in little cameos and references to as much of the show's history as it can (my personal favorite is the ambulance crash still being at the Springfield Gorge), except that they go out of their way to ensure all of that only occurs in Springfield. To highlight the impact and isolation of the Simpsons being exiled, not one actual recurring character or detail appears outside Springfield, even when it would be a natural joke.

Also, the time bomb deployed to blow up Springfield is initially set to 15 minutes; this is actually synced up to the movie's remaining non-credits runtime, and the bomb counts down at a largely consistent rate even when it's off-screen.

Isn’t Rainier Wolfcastle the president in that movie? Or is he a Springfield politician?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn’t Rainier Wolfcastle the president in that movie? Or is he a Springfield politician?

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the president, isn’t he?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

freeedr posted:

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the president, isn’t he?
It's so bizarre that they felt the need to do that. Ok yeah, there might be like, six people on earth who've never seen the Simpsons and wouldn't get a "president Wolfcastle" joke but are they really likely to watch a Simpsons movie? :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a really rare thing in movies, even though you'd think it might not be that hard.

The only one that comes readily to my mind is Aliens.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Mummy 3 is not a good movie. It's really quite bad. But I like how it handles the O'Connell's marriage troubles without falling into lazy stereotypes or blaming one of them unfairly.

Without all the adventure and excitement of fighting Mummies, the O'Connells are in a rut, and all the verve and excitement is gone.

But they're both still really horny for each other, and I like how each has their own struggle with it. Rick gets all suave and seductive after dinner, but NO! Evie has to go focus on her book. She has a beast of a session, remembers all their excitement of their only romance and starts shadow-fencing around the room. After getting the blood pumping, she throws on a sexy negligee and throws herself at Rick....who has now fallen asleep.

It's pretty rare to have a woman in her 40s as the star of an action movie, and I really like how she manages to still have sexual agency (arguably more than the first two movies)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think i heard they wanted to do President Wolfcastle and have Brooks actually be playing Hank Scorpio, I guess audience accessibility is why they decided to make both characters reskins.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I keep running into subtle movie moments every time I watch a Coen Bors movie.

In the Hudsucker Proxy when Norville Barnes pitches his hula hoop it's just a circle on a piece of paper and, after he shows it, he looks at it and rotates it 180 degrees because it's upside down. Then later on the movie when they're going into production, there's a manufacturing schematic of it (plans that show the product from straight on, top and side angles) and it's a circle with two straight lines.

Here it is:

http://toldbydesign.com/wp-content/...lan-drawing.jpg

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kinda wish it was a rejected drawing because the idiot draftsperson used 1st angle instead of 3rd angle projection

That might be a little too esoteric though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A New Hope does it pretty well by syncing up the Death Star attack to a 15 minute countdown.

The Force Awakens gives a five minute countdown and then allows Rey and Finn to run thirty kilometers through a snowed in forest and have an entire lightsaber duel before Namek finally explodes.

Of course the real reason is that the Death Star countdown in ANH was recorded in postproduction, while C-3P0's line was part of the actual script with no consideration for runtime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think i heard they wanted to do President Wolfcastle and have Brooks actually be playing Hank Scorpio, I guess audience accessibility is why they decided to make both characters reskins.

The no Scorpio thing is bizarre because if it isn't him it is a new character so mainstream audiences still wouldn't know who he was offhand. With the President Wolfcastle thing it is still the same joke at least.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Not having Wolfcastle be the President helps with that 'no familiar faces outside Springfield' thing, even when none of the Simpsons actually meet him. It also frees them up for using Wolfcastle in the show later on without having to address that 'ordered the destruction of the town' thing.

Scorpio being the villain could've worked with minimal rewrites to the villain's character (or performance, it is still Albert Brooks), but it probably would have required a lot of rewrites for Homer. I could see that being unwanted for overcomplicating what's ultimately a very simple core conflict for the family.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not a bomb, but I believe in 'The Bourne Supremacy' when Bourne is on the phone with Landy, her assistant says "90 seconds to triangulate his position" and from that point 88 seconds elapse before Bourne hangs up.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

FELD1 posted:

Not a bomb, but I believe in 'The Bourne Supremacy' when Bourne is on the phone with Landy, her assistant says "90 seconds to triangulate his position" and from that point 88 seconds elapse before Bourne hangs up.

When I saw Gravity in the theater, about five minutes in I realized everything was happening in real-time. That was a rough 90 minute excerpt of Sandra Bullock's typical day. I don't think I've held my breath that much in my life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Mummy 3 is not a good movie. It's really quite bad. But I like how it handles the O'Connell's marriage troubles without falling into lazy stereotypes or blaming one of them unfairly.

Without all the adventure and excitement of fighting Mummies, the O'Connells are in a rut, and all the verve and excitement is gone.

But they're both still really horny for each other, and I like how each has their own struggle with it. Rick gets all suave and seductive after dinner, but NO! Evie has to go focus on her book. She has a beast of a session, remembers all their excitement of their only romance and starts shadow-fencing around the room. After getting the blood pumping, she throws on a sexy negligee and throws herself at Rick....who has now fallen asleep.

It's pretty rare to have a woman in her 40s as the star of an action movie, and I really like how she manages to still have sexual agency (arguably more than the first two movies)

I rewatched this the other day and it's definitely better than The Mummy Returns. I think if they'd gone with that idea for the first sequel, it would've been pretty well received and then maybe the O'Connell's could've had ongoing supernatural related adventures without being so tied to Egypt all the time. Instead Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was given the task of reclaiming the reputation that had been lost after The Mummy Returns and it wasn't good enough to win all those people back who had hated Returns.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I rewatched this the other day and it's definitely better than The Mummy Returns. I think if they'd gone with that idea for the first sequel, it would've been pretty well received and then maybe the O'Connell's could've had ongoing supernatural related adventures without being so tied to Egypt all the time. Instead Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was given the task of reclaiming the reputation that had been lost after The Mummy Returns and it wasn't good enough to win all those people back who had hated Returns.

Ban this sick filth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Ban this sick filth.

You really feel strongly that The Mummy Returns is a better movie than Tomb of the Dragon Emperor? It's that definitive in your mind? What do you like exactly about The Mummy Returns?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mods!?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You really feel strongly that The Mummy Returns is a better movie than Tomb of the Dragon Emperor? It's that definitive in your mind? What do you like exactly about The Mummy Returns?

the rock is in it

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a movie with Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken called Nick of Time I think where Johnny Depp has an hour to assassinate the mayor or something or else they kill his daughter and the gimmick is the whole movie happens in real-time. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't recall it being a great movie.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've not actually seen it, but presumably Birdman is all in real time, given that it's all in one shot.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

little known fact: the Mummy Returns was shot in real time

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

even littler known fact: the Mummy Returns is STILL being shot in real time to this day

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

thespaceinvader posted:

I've not actually seen it, but presumably Birdman is all in real time, given that it's all in one shot.

I believe there’s a point where we go from one day into the next via a static time lapse shot of the sky? Been a while since I’ve seen it, so I could be wrong.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
High Noon is the best movie that takes place in real time.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

High Noon is the best movie that takes place in real time.

Goddammit, I was coming to post this. Watch it if you haven't, it's a classic! It's a great Western/ethical character exploration play that starts in a small town at 10:55am on the day of an impending dilemma, and moves toward the crescendo in real time. The escalating tension and desperation this narrative device creates is incredible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Of course the real reason is that the Death Star countdown in ANH was recorded in postproduction, while C-3P0's line was part of the actual script with no consideration for runtime.

He doesn't have lips, they totally could have just dubbed the number in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

beanieson posted:

I believe there’s a point where we go from one day into the next via a static time lapse shot of the sky? Been a while since I’ve seen it, so I could be wrong.

Yeah. I think Birdman takes place over a few days

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My favorite real time movie might be Unfriended, which was shot in real time in one take and is basically a play

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah. I think Birdman takes place over a few days

Yeah, they play lose with time a little bit. Other than that time lapse and that notable part at the end they do little things like have scenes that only take a few minutes on camera be assumed to take place over hours where you just have to kind of take it that the camera isn't showing a literal portrayal of what's being presented and they're just removing apparent cuts. It gives it a more theatrical feel which is appropriate given the material.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most long tracking shots use things like pillar passes to disguise cuts. Not everybody's willing to do a Robert Altman.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Coffee And Pie posted:

My favorite real time movie might be Unfriended, which was shot in real time in one take and is basically a play

A master of cinema, Unfriended.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It also wasnt filmed in one shot. It uses the distortions of the video to hide cuts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most long tracking shots use things like pillar passes to disguise cuts. Not everybody's willing to do a Robert Altman.

The best is in Hitchcock's Rope, where he zooms in super hard on a character's jacket and just holds the shot there for a few seconds. Just an ultra close up of a dude's shoulder, nothing to see here!

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I liked Silent House for a one-shot movie. Kinda thought the end was a slight cop-out, but the technical aspects of scenery and wardrobe changes was excellent.

e: on further reading, the one-take thing was marketing and it was several 10-12 minute takes. welp

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Timecode is one hell of a single take movie. It's actually four different single take movies shot simultaneously and shown simultaneously on the screen. I remember seeing it on IFC shortly after it was released, but damned if I can remember anything about it now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Tony Jaa film Tom Yum Goong (The Protector) had a four minute fight shot in one continuous take on a steadicam which had a tiny bit of CGI (a window breaking) and no wire work. They had to do 5 takes to get it right but because they had to rebuild so many physical elements and stunt props each time it took them a whole month to shoot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbO1FBaj5rA

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

synthetik posted:

e: on further reading, the one-take thing was marketing and it was several 10-12 minute takes. welp

This is basically every "one-take" film or show. If you're know what the tricks they use to hide cuts are, it becomes pretty obvious.

They're still typically really impressive, particularly if they involve lots of choreography. The six-minute long take from True Detective Season One remains my personal favorite. They claim it was genuinely shot in one take, though they did have a couple of spots they could have used for cuts if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This one isn’t super long but the way they did it is wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YeNw0N8aE