Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jason Sextro posted:

Abou Diaby has officially retired. I had no idea he hadn't officially done so already, yikes.

Poor dude. He couldn’t even keep his legs together long enough too get one last payday in the Saudi league or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A midfielder playing with Bordeaux has been out for weeks due to complications from, and according to local papers this is real, beard implant surgery.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jason Sextro posted:

A midfielder playing with Bordeaux has been out for weeks due to complications from, and according to local papers this is real, beard implant surgery.

How was his pre-implant beard?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A bit on the patchy side, from the looks of it? Doesn't look like it'd ever reach the majesty of Djibril Cisse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Considering the damage to the scalp a hair transplant causes surely thats not done anywhere because they can't even use the guys own hair unless he just now looks like he's growing normal head hair on his beard

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

Considering the damage to the scalp a hair transplant causes surely thats not done anywhere because they can't even use the guys own hair unless he just now looks like he's growing normal head hair on his beard

That probably makes for a pretty luxurious beard tbh.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

This is a story so surreal I was pretty sure I dreamed it:

quote:

Caen have produced an extraordinary press release this evening condemning an advisor to coach Fabien Mercadal, Rolland Courbis, for announcing in a press conference today that he had de facto taken control of the club.

“If before, I had 90% of the responsibilities, today I have 100% of them. It is an agreement that was made when I arrived. At the beginning, I did not know the players well enough to be able to help the club. We looked at the calendar, we viewed the international break and we agreed that after that pause, I would take control of the pre-match press conferences… Until the 38th game-week, I am in charge.“

But less than a day later, Courbis was forced to retract comments in the Normandy side’s press release:

“I continue to say that I have joined with Fabien to help him. We will take all the decisions with the agreement of the staff and they have brought me up to speed quickly in my mission. It was a mistake on my part to want to give details when I have the same role as I have had since I arrived. I have got to know the players and the club.”

Although not a full retraction from the former Montpellier manager and RMC pundit, the 20th placed Ligue 1 side made it clear in their own words:

“Fabien Mercadal and Rolland Courbis have formed a duo and will take decisions together until the end of the season like has been the case for a month and a half… The club would like to make it clear that Fabien Mercadal is the number one manager of the 1st team.”

The only thing clear, is that Caen are in crisis.

I'm starting to get a clear picture of why this club is in 20th place.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what the hell

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So this advisor dude is the actual manager? What?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think he was trying to say he was at a press conference, and then got yelled at by the board, who presumably came up with this whole "co-manager" deal. Caen is a mess.

But they still beat Monaco, lol.

In other news, it sounds like Marseille might make a play for Rafa Benitez which could be fantastic news, especially if they're willing to work with him. Garcia is a bust, and I have no idea why he was hired in the first place. He won a league title with Lille, with Eden Hazard.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jason Sextro posted:

In other news, it sounds like Marseille might make a play for Rafa Benitez which could be fantastic news, especially if they're willing to work with him. Garcia is a bust, and I have no idea why he was hired in the first place. He won a league title with Lille, with Eden Hazard.

Balotelli reunited with Rafa...I’m doing some sort of move, not sure what kind.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

I think he was trying to say he was at a press conference, and then got yelled at by the board, who presumably came up with this whole "co-manager" deal. Caen is a mess.

But they still beat Monaco, lol.

i don't like this

edit:

https://twitter.com/LukeEdwardsTele/status/1113869426548465669

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I do find it more believable that Benitez wants to stay at Newcastle, where the fans love him, instead of going to Marseille, where the fans will not.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Benitez's kids have been in England since his Liverpool days, from what I remember. I think they even stayed in England during his Napoli and Real Madrid stints. I'm not sure how old they are now, but I think he and his wife don't want to unsettle them by moving to a completely new country.

Gigi Galli posted:

Balotelli reunited with Rafa...I’m doing some sort of move, not sure what kind.

That would be a doomed pairing.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Did Balotelli ever play for Rafa? I thought Mario transferred to City before Benitez took over at Inter, or at the very least he left that summer before the Serie A season began? Or am I missing some other obvious time when they were at the same place?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Did Balotelli ever play for Rafa? I thought Mario transferred to City before Benitez took over at Inter, or at the very least he left that summer before the Serie A season began? Or am I missing some other obvious time when they were at the same place?

For some insane reason I thought they were at Liverpool together, which obviously did not happen.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rafa rubbishes retreat rumors

"I read the story. On March 6 I was here training, having lunch, then I left at 7pm or 8pm. The only club I am talking to about my future is Newcastle and I am waiting for an answer. When? I don't know."

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

:lol: PSG lost 5-1 to Lille, who are good as hell this year.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
From near relegation to that :pwn:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Did PSG field a secondary line-up?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Brony Car posted:

Did PSG field a secondary line-up?

Yeah is this like Juve losing to SPAL this weekend where they played everyone from the bench and a few youth players?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

No, Lille is comfortably in 2nd place this year. They are a legit team.

They were bought by a guy who wanted to buy Marseille and bring back Bielsa, but instead Marguerite Louis-Dreyfus gave one last middle finger to the Marseille fanbase by selling the team to the man forced to sell the Dodgers due to embezzlement.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When you read Marseille’s story through backroom dramas you really feel it should relocate to Italy.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Jason Sextro posted:

No, Lille is comfortably in 2nd place this year. They are a legit team.

They were bought by a guy who wanted to buy Marseille and bring back Bielsa, but instead Marguerite Louis-Dreyfus gave one last middle finger to the Marseille fanbase by selling the team to the man forced to sell the Dodgers due to embezzlement.

i don't know what the gently caress the dodgers are and i'm not gonna wikipedia it, but marseille haven't been that bad this year, for the standards of this joke of a league ofc

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

advanced statsman posted:

i don't know what the gently caress the dodgers are and i'm not gonna wikipedia it, but marseille haven't been that bad this year, for the standards of this joke of a league ofc

They're a baseball team.

You can learn more about Frank McCourt here if you care:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/15/sports/soccer/olympique-de-marseille-frank-mccourt.html

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1118185318904147968

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

He’s right

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

God drat that's good

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

:hmmyes:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is anyone else gonna watch this meaningless cup final

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is anyone else gonna watch this meaningless cup final

I came to see the RC car deliver the ball.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Hoooooly poo poo thassa goal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

phwoar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/otfbravo/status/1122219080184811520

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol that own goal

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

An impressive 3 goals from PSG in the first half

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress off PSG

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

julian assflange posted:

gently caress off PSG

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

julian assflange posted:

gently caress off PSG

Ku-ku-cachoo! They subbed that poor lad on in the last minutes specifically to sky that kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And Neymar is supposed to have punched a Rennes fan after the game. :feelsgood: