Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.
Since they are closing Neverwinter's foundry at the same this seems less like a "legacy code is hard" situation and more like a "user-generated content doesn't directly produce revenue, therefore, spending any resources on it at all is bad" situation.
I mean 2018 was cryptics most profitable year ever so they naturally need to cut resources to the bone. As is corporate tradition.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kael's responsibility with the foundry was just adding new content to it so foundry authors could use it, picking out missions to be spotlighted, that kind of thing and not fixing bugs or keeping the system running. Since he's a community manager, not a programmer it'd be a little silly to expect him to maintain legacy code the actual programmers at the company don't even understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

What utter horseshit on their part

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It still makes me chuckle that Kael is not the worst community manager STO has ever had by virtue of not being the guy to have the game’s Twitter account blocked by William Shatner.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Coq au Nandos posted:

It still makes me chuckle that Kael is not the worst community manager STO has ever had by virtue of not being the guy to have the game’s Twitter account blocked by William Shatner.

nah branflakes counts as 'good old days' now believe me

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Lmfao what??

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hexenritter posted:

Lmfao what??

he was wya better than what we've got now, the worst kind of redditor

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Codex Occultus posted:

Since they are closing Neverwinter's foundry at the same this seems less like a "legacy code is hard" situation and more like a "user-generated content doesn't directly produce revenue, therefore, spending any resources on it at all is bad" situation.

I really do think it's both reasons. Most of the playerbase doesn't even notice, but typically after every major update the foundry is down for a couple of months due to various new things screwing it up. From what I gather, the sheer time required to fix that junk was just getting to be more trouble than it is worth (in their opinion) for a system that doesn't directly generate revenue, like you said.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's frustrating to see since it's absolutely something unique to their games and it could be a good selling point if they actually streamlined it and didn't have to constantly maintain it after every patch... except that Cryptic's always lacked the staff to really maintain the foundries and they've never really had the mechanics know-how to keep them from being pointless, easily exploited, or both. With that in mind killing them is probably the most sensible option. :shrug:

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Asimo posted:

It's frustrating to see since it's absolutely something unique to their games and it could be a good selling point if they actually streamlined it and didn't have to constantly maintain it after every patch... except that Cryptic's always lacked the staff to really maintain the foundries and they've never really had the mechanics know-how to keep them from being pointless, easily exploited, or both. With that in mind killing them is probably the most sensible option. :shrug:

I might be wrong but I thought NW was actually pitched as being a game focused mainly on the foundry rather than on dev created content. Not sure if I'm remembering that wrong or that idea was just abandoned. But yeah, it would be interesting to see if a game like that could actually work if they stuck to that plan and kept the system working and updated with new stuff regularly.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

It really is a shame. With a better staff or a more user-friendly engine, I could imagine a system in which Cryptic revamped the exploration system and populated it with curated Foundry missions, giving the authors some kind of in game prize to incentivise creativity. Star Trek Online’s own version of Mario Maker.

Also this is the third time they’ve just flat out killed a system because of some combination of a lack of profitability and staff understanding to manage its upkeep (Gateway and the Mac client).

Zotix posted:

That's great just what I needed. There seems to be a ton of outdated info on the wiki, but this seems rather up to date.

Does the wiki have tips to make EC anywhere? I just do TFOs and sell what o can but this doesn't seem like a real option to make meaningful EC.

It’s very up to date, I wrote it from scratch yesterday. Still working on other areas of the Wiki.

As for making EC, I think the suggested loop at the moment is:

1) create a bunch of alt characters (‘pylons’)
2) have them grind KDF and Ferengi Admiralty (and Marauding doff missions, for Klanks)
3) use the dil from that to buy Zen
4) use the Zen to buy Master Keys or Promo doff packs from the c store
5) sell them on the exchange
6) use the profit to buy stacks of contraband
7) distribute it to your pylons
8) have them run the turn in contraband mission over and over on top of their admiralty grinding
9) Use the dil you’re making to buy more character slots
10) GOTO 1

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Codex Occultus posted:

I mean 2018 was cryptics most profitable year ever so they naturally need to cut resources to the bone. As is corporate tradition.

Comedy option: Keep the Neverwinter and STO foundries open but switch their outputs. Pitch the Neverwinter missions as a fantasy holodeck series for STO and the STO missions as a journey to a terrifying dystopian plane in Neverwinter.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Comedy option: Keep the Neverwinter and STO foundries open but switch their outputs. Pitch the Neverwinter missions as a fantasy holodeck series for STO and the STO missions as a journey to a terrifying dystopian plane in Neverwinter.

let me torpedo some goblins with my ship

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Can someone auth Latro for the wiki? Thanks!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Coq au Nandos posted:

one of the dumbest unforced errors with sto was not calling the foundry "the holodeck" and foundry missions "holodeck programs"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oof that's going to make some of those kill endeavors suck. I suppose it'll populate some battlezones are lot more then.

I bought myself an Orb Weaver and so far It's very nice. Much swifter than the Voth Flight Deck Cruiser, and the Nukara Tetryons I had from grinding Nukara rep go very nicely on it til I get the Terran and Temporal Rep up there.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

Oof that's going to make some of those kill endeavors suck. I suppose it'll populate some battlezones are lot more then.

Someone’s already made a list of where to go to do them:

Ground Endeavors
Borg: BZ Defera / TFO Infected / TFO Cure / TFO Khitomer
Captains:TFO Bug Hunt / FE Home
Dewan Arthropod: BZ Nimbus III (Scorpions)
Gorn: BZ Nimbus III
Hur’q Attendants: FE Home
Terran: TFO Assault on Terok Nor / FE Future Proof Arc
Tholian: BZ Nukara / TFO Nukara Transdimensional Tactics / TFO Nukara Self Destructive Tendencies
Tzenkethi: FE Of Signs and Portents / FE New Frontiers ArcUndine: TFO Undine Infiltration
Vaadwaur: BZ Kobali Prime
Voth: BZ Dyson Sphere

Space Endeavors
Borg: TFO Infected Space / TFO Cure Space / TFO Khitomer Space
Dreadnoughts: TFO Hive Space / TFO Draanur Gauntlet
Herald: TFO Gateway to Gre'thor
Hur’q: TFO Swarm / FE Home
Targetable Torpedo: TFO Crystalline Catastrophe (large and small fragments)
Terran: BZ Badlands / TFO Counterpoint
Tholian: TFO Azure Nebula / TFO Crystalline Catastrophe / Patrol Archer System
Tzenkethi: BZ Gon'Cra / TFO Gravity Kills
Undine: BZ Solane Dyson Sphere, Voth Zone / TFO Undine Assault / FE Surface Tension
Voth: BZ Solanae Dyson Sphere, Contested Zone

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Foundry always seemed like it would've been perfect for Champions Online. I had fun with it in NW. Oh well!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That would have given ChampO actual content, so they couldn't do that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

Apparently the lady who used to fix the foundry when it broke moved to their magic the gathering game, and trained a replacement.

but the replacement was... "ambassador kael."

So now no more foundry.

Fitting way for it to die. Neglected to death by a slob wearing a printed on comm badge.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I'm mostly an outsider looking in...

There's a decision to be made in April or May. The Kael livestream danced around the landmine question of "is this a precursor to removing legacy tech and moving onto new games" like the floor was lava.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

I'm mostly an outsider looking in...

There's a decision to be made in April or May. The Kael livestream danced around the landmine question of "is this a precursor to removing legacy tech and moving onto new games" like the floor was lava.

Well they have to announce more for the MTG MMO at some point at which point I expect STO will be given the Champions Online treatment.

But Discovery! Yes, exactly.

Does anyone think a young new fan is going to want to play this... what is it? Nearly 10 years old game full of creaky floorboards and drafty windows?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well it's not like Discovery is drawing young new fans, so hey.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

What do you mean? STD drew so many new fans & viewers that Netflix refused to put any money towards any new production and CBS all access became an embarrassing joke.

Oh.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

It seems like the only issue with the show now is it’s American distribution model. It’s been renewed for a third season, the cast and writers are starting to click, show good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

It seems like the only issue with the show now is it’s American distribution model. It’s been renewed for a third season, the cast and writers are starting to click, show good.

It might well be a good show to a particular niche audience but in that case their spending on the show has far exceeded the revenue they can make.

Probably a management issue.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DancingShade posted:

What do you mean? STD drew so many new fans & viewers that Netflix refused to put any money towards any new production and CBS all access became an embarrassing joke.

Oh.

All Access seems to be doing quite well, though?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/cbs-reaches-its-8-million-streaming-subscribers-goal-two-years-early.html

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
People need to stop getting news from Midnight’s Edgelord or whatever.

The game may do well or not, but Discovery is doing gangbusters.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I need a Happy Meal toy to prove Disco is gangbusters.

Lest we forget, STO had a Del Taco promotion at launch.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 5, 2019

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Discovery doing well probably says more about how large the Trek fanbase actually is even these days rather than it drawing in new fans. Also "doing gangbusters" probably has a fuckload of qualifications considering nobody has any idea what the actual numbers of either the show or CBS's dumb subscription service are, but it's doing well enough to keep the latter alive so whatever I guess? At least the current season is a drat sight better than the first.

And to talk about STO proper... the featured TFO is actually, like, pretty... okay? I'm sure it will vanish once the event's over, but in the meanwhile it's not too hard, it's not hard timed, and you can actually speed it up pretty dramatically with even a vague amount of teamwork and tactics. I mean it's a ground queue, but you can't have everything. :shrug:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

Are you ESL or something? I still watch every episode out of some grim schadenfreude and the writing is still juvenile and hamfisted as gently caress. I'm continually surprised that characters don't turn to stare directly to camera and say "DO YOU GET IT?"

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Mondian posted:

Are you ESL or something? I still watch every episode out of some grim schadenfreude and the writing is still juvenile and hamfisted as gently caress. I'm continually surprised that characters don't turn to stare directly to camera and say "DO YOU GET IT?"

It does feel more like a Trek TV show than Season 1's misery simulator ever did.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Geekboy posted:

People need to stop getting news from Midnight’s Edgelord or whatever.

The game may do well or not, but Discovery is doing gangbusters.

Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and all the players love it.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Thanks to the shitshow of the dil exchange I only got 6k zen instead of my normal 10k+ worth of a month of farming admiralty on a full account of toons. If it gets up to 400 dil on the exchange then I will dip out. I don't see Cryptic ever fixing this problem now.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
i havent seen disco season 2 yet but ya the first season the dialog writing was really hacky

at least the space ships look cool

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

hakimashou posted:

i havent seen disco season 2 yet but ya the first season the dialog writing was really hacky

at least the space ships look cool

It is better but the dialog is still terrible.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
They have started introducing more physical buttons and there is this certain TOS sound effect they keep slipping in, those are some nice touches.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Oh my gently caress, no it is not a nice touch. Its like they found a soundboard of mixed TOS and TNG computer effects, but they use them inappropriately, like nobody bothered to read the labels. They'll be doing routine poo poo on the bridge all the time and there are computer error noises and open hailing frequencies sound effects going off willy nilly.

It is slightly better overall though, a couple episodes back with the big sentient lava ball it was like almost a real star trek episode. It was still delivered as though the script was written by a middle school creative writing class, but the core concept was like an honest to god star trek.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 5, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mondian posted:

Oh my gently caress, no it is not a nice touch. Its like they found a soundboard of mixed TOS and TNG computer effects, but they use them inappropriately, like nobody bothered to read the labels. They'll be doing routine poo poo on the bridge all the time and there are computer error noises and open hailing frequencies sound effects going off willy nilly.

It is slightly better overall though, a couple episodes back with the big sentient lava ball it was like almost a real star trek episode. It was still delivered as though the script was written by a middle school creative writing class, but the core concept was like an honest to god star trek.

my immersion!!!!!

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Mondian posted:

You have out sperged me and the tone I am saying this in is not entirely mocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I mean one could say that bridge crew who are not the focus of the shot are hailing distant ships and running into errors but you are probably morally correct.