Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ChaseSP posted:

Him possessing his dead corpse out of sheer DETERMINATION/Gold Experience possibly giving it extra life is my canon to his current status. Juries out on having no blood at all though

His heart's not beating so the blood doesn't come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You'd still have some small amount come out, even if coagulated. The answer is Araki deemed it interesting in the end and thus it was done.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CJ posted:

Basically Part 5 is a bad story. At least it has a couple of cool fights.

I used to think this, but watching the anime has warmed me to Part 5 a bit. I do think it can be criticized for not really following up on the main characters' motivations, the associated moral dilemmas, and the logistics of how Passione operates. The scene where they get on the boat is good, but we never see the protagonists grappling with the ethics of collecting protection money and so forth because essentially the only thing we see them do on behalf of the Boss is fight other Stand users, and Passione's involvement in the drug trade isn't followed up on outside of Purple Haze Feedback despite its importance to Bruno's motivations. When Giorno finally becomes the new Boss, we get a flashback not involving Giorno and then the story just ends without elaborating on what he actually does as the Boss.

And yes, Gold Experience is bullshit, Polnareff's return is abrupt, Silver Chariot Requiem is nonsense, and Diavolo is less interesting than Dio and Kira.

But on the other hand, Part 5 has a lot of cool fights (not just "a couple"), the characterization makes for a compelling story about superpowered misfit bodyguards fighting their way around Italy despite its limits as a gangster story, and Purple Haze Feedback addresses some of my issues.

I think the first half or so of Worm is basically the story I sort of wish Vento Aureo was: a superpowered gangster story that has interesting fights but also expands a bit more on other aspects of being a superpowered gangster.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 4, 2019

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Momomo posted:

The way it's portrayed in the anime it really just looks like he decided to not die and Giorno's healing just taped up the body instead of actually saving him.

Yeah, the impression I got from it is that Giorno was too late to actually save his life (hence the lack of a heartbeat), he just restored his corpse to pristine condition. Bruno's spirit forced its way back into the corpse because he still has work to do. He passes on for real in the Colosseum, either because he's guaranteed Giorno's victory at that point, or because he just can't pull the trick twice.

Funky Valentine posted:

Rock People - cultivate fruit and sell it for mad money, also mutilate anyone who gets in the way

This is the one part I'm not quite sure on. Damo's group seemed limited to smuggling, but the doctor conspiracy seems more ambitious with the new fruit. One of them (either Wu or Urban Guerrilla, I can't recall) said something about how humans would probably want to use the new equivalent exchange to become immortal, then ridiculed that idea for thinking too small. We don't really have any idea what the rock people want the new branch for, because we don't really have a good idea about what exactly it's capable of.

King Superman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 4, 2019

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Regarding the Colliseum, his grip on his body is just starting to fade away at that point which is why he goes blind but can loving suddenly see souls which was dumb/really cool because you can plainly see him bringing Doppio to Polneraff unintentionally..

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bruno's possessing his own corpse with the assistance of some Gold Experience bullshit is nowhere near as baffling as his ability to continue walking with a gaping whole straight through the centre of his chest. Kakyoin was completely immobilised and could barely activate of his Stand one last time and Koichi was rendered immediately unconscious, but apparently Bruno can overcome his lack of a connected spinal cord through sheer determination? :confused:

e: I guess someone should have told Johnny he just didn't want it bad enough

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kakyoin didn't have the heart of a Gangstar obviously, he was just your average highschool student.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bruno had to live long enough to set Narancia and Abacchio onto the path of death too.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I love a lot of moments in part 5 but it's not surprising to see the anime onlies have the same complaints that used to just kind of get dismissed with "people only dont like it because they read the bad translations". In terms of cohesiveness and character interactions it's a big step down from part 4.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

somepartsareme posted:

I love a lot of moments in part 5 but it's not surprising to see the anime onlies have the same complaints that used to just kind of get dismissed with "people only dont like it because they read the bad translations". In terms of cohesiveness and character interactions it's a big step down from part 4.

Yeah, I only ever read the good translations and people were still throwing that one out.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's not surprising, but it helps to remember that SA is a very small anime community. a lot of my irl friends are loving the poo poo out of part 5 and full confession: i sometimes watch those videos people make of like, a lot of people doing reaction vids to anime at once because im very curious to see what anime onlys are thinking, and one of the recent ones a guy literally went "I think Part 5 is becoming my new favorite" during the scene where the gang is deciding if they'll get on the boat.

so i dunno! part 5 is weird. the anime is really helping me enjoy it more. in particular what i'm warming up to more is giorno as a character. giorno is honestly kind of a subtle lead, maybe detrimentally so, but i'm picking up more on the ways that he really kind of is Good DIO, and i think those purple haze feedback videos i posted really capture that

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah my friends are loving the poo poo out of Part 5 even if Gold Experience is an asspull half the time and Giorno is pretty bland in of himself.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I'm still watching because the fights are enjoyable enough, the overarching plot is pretty boring though.

Also to be fair, we're viewing it through the lens of knowing the ending is really really dumb. It you're anime only you don't know that. King Crimson might be exciting if you don't already know that he gets sidelined in lieu of following a dumb stand walking around who you can't hit.

I'm just waiting for Green Day.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm definitely liking Mista a lot more in the anime, when he was easily my least liked in the manga. He still dresses like an rear end in a top hat though.

In general the part does feel like a significant step down in terms of characters and plot though. Giorno himself still feels pretty out of place in the group since everyone else already has a history with one another, and it's not like he really interacts with them that much besides the stand fights. Compared to part 3 where you saw things like Jotaro apparently doing parlor tricks in the offtime, or liking sumo, Giorno just isn't cutting it character wise. I don't really think a comparison to part 4's group is necessary since they spent so much time building up Josuke, Okuyasu and Koichi as pals.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lawyers aren't allowed to be elves now? :colbert:

Not this lawyer :colbert:

Also I forgot part 6 had a guy named Thunder McQueen.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ive been watching JoJo with a group of friends who are anime-onlys and it's wild seeing their reactions to stuff. They know some stuff like Part 6 has Joylene and Part 7 is a universe reset and cowboys.

Personally, I haven't heard any complaints about Part 5 yet. They love Mista and Bruno and one of my friends sincerely believes that The Boss is DIO. There has been no confusion over KC at all, even.

I'm more loose with "spoilers" stuff. I told them to ignore the slow-mo punch after episode 2 because it never shows up again and I also said that Fugo never shows up again (because I was asked). My policy is that I don't want their expectations to get sky high over stuff that never happens but be silent on anything else.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
mista is the best and his stupid clashing outfit is the greatest. he's just here for his friends, the money and some food and i love it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

painted into a coroner posted:

and one of my friends sincerely believes that The Boss is DIO

Unfortunately DIO can only access Doppio's half of the body and won't be buff again until he can drink Trish's blood

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Okay, now that I've watched the episode, Buccellati makes it pretty clear that the reason he's able to move is Giorno giving him courage, and then one scene later that's emphasized again in a literal way when Giorno "heals" him, which he also explains later on in the car when they're fighting Green Day, so I don't understand what's not to get if you look at things through themes. It's like that one poster said about King Crimson making sense in terms of themes because it goes with the idea of going along Fate's course that Part 5 explores.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not this lawyer :colbert:

Also I forgot part 6 had a guy named Thunder McQueen.

I liked it when he was called "Xander McQueen".

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

CJ posted:

Also to be fair, we're viewing it through the lens of knowing the ending is really really dumb. It you're anime only you don't know that. King Crimson might be exciting if you don't already know that he gets sidelined in lieu of following a dumb stand walking around who you can't hit.

I really enjoy dealing with King Crimson's sneak attacks while everyone was trying to get to the arrow before Diavolo did, and all the stand fuckery that happened like Spice Girl softening bullet and launching htem at Daivolo to force him to dodge among other things.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Joseph pulls more bullshit than Giorno does, but its funny then. Part 3 changes rules more often and has the larger asspull of "oh my Stand that also has these forgotten powers and contradicts itself can *also* stop time." And ths same dude from part 2 coming back to life for no real reason. 4 has no clear purpose until the middle, like 5. 5 is just the one where everyone eventually gets jaded; it just happens to have the best fights as well to hold on.

I think it will be 6 where people start dropping. That was our first decent translation after two dreadful ones so we were happy to read so it was a refresher to get actual personalities. They won't have that distinction. But people will probably blame it on female protagonists.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

If they hate on Jolyne and the way she uses her powers then I'm going to say they suck

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Part 6 also has Planet Waves which is the most loving brutal/awesome fight in jojo so I can't loving wait for that point. Also when Jolyne setting herself on fire. The most hardcore Jojo.

Also there's a hilarious trend in jojo from going from English Gentlemen to prison inmate ready to gently caress people up.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Darko posted:

Joseph pulls more bullshit than Giorno does, but its funny then. Part 3 changes rules more often and has the larger asspull of "oh my Stand that also has these forgotten powers and contradicts itself can *also* stop time." And ths same dude from part 2 coming back to life for no real reason. 4 has no clear purpose until the middle, like 5. 5 is just the one where everyone eventually gets jaded; it just happens to have the best fights as well to hold on.

I think it will be 6 where people start dropping. That was our first decent translation after two dreadful ones so we were happy to read so it was a refresher to get actual personalities. They won't have that distinction. But people will probably blame it on female protagonists.

The ending's going to piss people off, at least.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I want to see the hosed up gravity animated and Jolyne and Hermes throwing rocks at gators.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think early part 6 is going to benefit from at least having a decent amount of time between it and part 5, since a lot of why the first bit of part 6 can be so exhausting is leftover fatigue coming immediately from the end of part 5.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

BaDandy posted:

I want to see the hosed up gravity animated and Jolyne and Hermes throwing rocks at gators.

Can't wait to see Jolyne turn her torso into a mobius strip to counteract C-Moon's ability.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The beauty of Stone Ocean is that the smartest person in the room is in a coma for most of it and Jolyne has to share her three brain cells with Hermes and Friends.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I have no idea how the Bohemian Rhapsody fight is gonna work with things being changed for copyright but DP hasn't let me down so far

Unless they just use non-copyrighted characters, but that's no fun

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 5, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They never actually SHOWED any characters that would be an issue, they just namedropped them. Though Japanese media likes to shy away from namedropping things, so we might get Cider-Man instead of Spider-Man.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

They mentioned Tom and Jerry in the part 3 anime so I think they'll manage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 6 is really good and if someone hates on jolyne i'm going to immediately know for a fact that they're just outright a goddamn idiot. like for whatever criticisms someone may have of part 6, jolyne is never one of them and that's for a good reason

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think I've becoming a Diavolo apologist

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

I think I've becoming a Diavolo apologist

i mean, he's pretty okay. i think he has some better high notes than pucci, for example. pucci is more consistent though. diavolo is just kinda screwed by the part itself and that crappy ending.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Where the gently caress is M*****!? Fucks sake, if there's no M***** then this poo poo ain't D*****!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean, he's pretty okay. i think he has some better high notes than pucci, for example. pucci is more consistent though. diavolo is just kinda screwed by the part itself and that crappy ending.

I think what he suffers from the most is that he already had his goal for the most part and his goal was to be as close to being a nonexistent all-powerful being as possible so instead of getting to see him strive for the power even further like you would with Pucci or Funny Valentine, you're watching him strive to maintain that power and lifestyle he currently has like Kira, but Kira's lifestyle is inherently more presentable than Diavolo's since the idea of Diavolo is that you don't know poo poo about him and if you know poo poo about him then you've already undone him. You can see how Araki attempted to redo this kind of character motivation with Pucci and Funny Valentine and those two are far more prevalent and noteworthy in their own parts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Where the gently caress is M*****!? Fucks sake, if there's no M***** then this poo poo ain't D*****!

Where the gently caress is Ricky?! Fucks sake, if there's no Ricky then this poo poo ain't Lucy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Where the gently caress is Mortimer!? Fucks sake, if there's no Mortimer then this poo poo ain't Gisnep!