Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Got a quick oc question: My card is treating 60c as some kind of thermal throttling limit even though afterburner has that set to 90c. I know these have dynamic thermal clocking (or something like that), am I running into a steep wall on that curve at 60? It will continuously clock down to keep temps at 60 rather than push past it.

Phone posted:

I need to verify when I get home, but did some more research and apparently nvidia’s drivers freak out and put the card into maximum overdrive and gently caress with the fan profile if you have a high refresh rate monitor and a 60Hz monitor plugged in at the same time.

This isn't really helpful but I run a 144hz and a 60hz and it sticks to my custom afterburner fan curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

60 hz / 144 hz / 60 hz

i guess im just stuck in overdrive forever :shrug:

that being said the idle temp seems to be quite good compared to even people with the same model so

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was just talking about stock drivers and out of the box fan curves, nothing on top of it. I haven’t dug into Precision X1 or anything yet, but it does explain some of the behavior I was seeing (like 0% fans at no load and a 50C idle temp).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zigmidge posted:

Got a quick oc question: My card is treating 60c as some kind of thermal throttling limit even though afterburner has that set to 90c. I know these have dynamic thermal clocking (or something like that), am I running into a steep wall on that curve at 60? It will continuously clock down to keep temps at 60 rather than push past it.

This isn't really helpful but I run a 144hz and a 60hz and it sticks to my custom afterburner fan curve.

If it's a Pascal card, that's not throttling. The clock gradually decreases above 60.

Edit: just saw the hit about it clocking down trying to keep at 60, weird.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, if it's just losing a step or two that's completely normal. If it's cutting hundreds of MHz that needs more investigating.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

drat this 2080 XC Ultra is friggin big. It's shorter than the 980Ti STRIX but that 2.5 slot cooler is a fattie. Being shorter and holding itself with 3 slots though keeps it from sagging as much at least lol.

Had to move around what other cards I have in the comp to keep from blocking one of the 2 fans with my sound card. I think the only available internal bit I have left is a single Marvel SATA 6 port shared with the Optical drive lol.

I may......still opt into the Step Up program as I feel that a 2080Ti would be the final endpoint of this rig, though I still see it hit close to 100% GPU usage to achieve up to 100fps 1440P Ultrawide, and my CPU has yet to hit 100% on any game I have thrown at it so there is still some headroom in the old box.

The QOL improvement going from the 980Ti to a 2080 is there though. While Sea of Thieves ran ~50-70FPS, this thing hold 70-100FPS (G-Sync capping at 100). Everything feels smoother and almost appears nicer looking even though I didn't change graphics settings that would change that..... Maybe the Smoothness just goes toward that to the naked eye.

Did try the Quake 2 RTX app and lol. Trying to play it fullscreen 1440P UW will run pretty slowly, and eventually will crash it each time. In the 640X480 window it runs perfectly fine but man, that is one tiny res.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

60 hz / 144 hz / 60 hz

that being said the idle temp seems to be quite good compared to even people with the same model so

Try setting the 144fps monitor to 120 and reboot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hmm. I wonder if you could use a dummy PCI-E connector as a support on a two or three slot video card to prevent sag? Like no traces, just inert silicon in the connector. Slide it in, keep things stable.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Arivia posted:

Hmm. I wonder if you could use a dummy PCI-E connector as a support on a two or three slot video card to prevent sag? Like no traces, just inert silicon in the connector. Slide it in, keep things stable.

Possibly as long as it also connected to the front plate as well.

Isn't the whole point of the metal back of the card to prevent sag in the first place? My 980Ti's wasn't helping much in that regard, but this XC Ultra seems to be doing rather ok, that and the 3 slots it takes up seems to give it a bit more leverage to boot.

I do think that Alienware (was it them?) that have that case where all the cables come out the top have the right idea. Let the cards sit vertical and vent all the heat out the top like it should.

Corsair also has that Corsair One that is a pretty sweet bottom to top setup. I am still bummed they haven't sold that thing as a bare bones setup.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

IDK if my card is sagging because my computer is like 70 lbs and lol if I am opening it

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cooling can surprisingly be affected. Just a few degrees, but given that people will spend over 100 dollars on coolers a cheap stabilizing option might do well. There was that jack like thing someone made for a little while that pushed up from the bottom of the case, apparently not enough people cared because I can't find it now, but there are a ton of cheap options on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=videocard+sag

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

craig588 posted:

This is basically identical to what I did with my Zotac. The stock fans were loud, and I had the stock fans from my D15. The D15 fans were much quieter and performed better.

What's up Zotac Fans are lovely bud. :q::hf::q:

Not only did those fans suck from a noise perspective, they didn't move air very well AND they were of terrible quality too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Vega 56's are on sale for $260 after $30 rebate with 3 games:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
my friend is probably gonna build a pc soon and ill forward him this

thanks gay retard

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

jisforjosh posted:

If it's a Pascal card, that's not throttling. The clock gradually decreases above 60.

Edit: just saw the hit about it clocking down trying to keep at 60, weird.

craig588 posted:

Oh yeah, if it's just losing a step or two that's completely normal. If it's cutting hundreds of MHz that needs more investigating.

Thanks, guys. Guess I'll have to run a thang tonight when I get home and report back with more details about the behaviour. The only constant I can give for my story is that something behind the scenes isn't allowing my card to go above 60c no matter how hard I try to drive the thing.

Probably a helpful important detail: evga black 1070ti sc edition

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also might want to check that you don't have some sort of "Power Save" setting set in either the Nvidia Control Panel, or in Geforce Experience.

Hell check your Windows power settings while you're at it.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
In Geforce Experience make sure "Whisper Mode" is disabled.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

What's up Zotac Fans are lovely bud. :q::hf::q:

Not only did those fans suck from a noise perspective, they didn't move air very well AND they were of terrible quality too.

My 1080 Amp! runs at an 80+ degree average with the fans loving blasting. It's just a thing with that card and it sucks. Too bad the current generation isn't really enticing enough to replace it with.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

My 1080 Amp! runs at an 80+ degree average with the fans loving blasting. It's just a thing with that card and it sucks. Too bad the current generation isn't really enticing enough to replace it with.

Mine eventually died and got replaced with a 2080. Overall an upgrade for 4k gaming since my min framerates went up nearly 10+ FPS.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stanley Pain posted:

Mine eventually died and got replaced with a 2080. Overall an upgrade for 4k gaming since my min framerates went up nearly 10+ FPS.

If mine dies I'll obviously replace it, I'm just not itching to drop a grand on a 2080ti right now.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still feel bad I recommended a Zotac when they were the first 1080s in stock since I got one they couldn't be bad. (While mine was still in the mail and it looked like all the other open air cards) Replacing the fans will make it perform like any other card, but you do need to remove the heatsink to remove the fans.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Phone posted:

I need to verify when I get home, but did some more research and apparently nvidia’s drivers freak out and put the card into maximum overdrive and gently caress with the fan profile if you have a high refresh rate monitor and a 60Hz monitor plugged in at the same time.

This is old news but yes if you set your high refresh rate monitor to over 120hz on older Nvidia cards while having a 60hz secondary monitor it idles the card quite a bit higher. I had this problem with my 980ti and it was resolved with my 2080ti.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
EVGA's automated stock email alerted me that the 2080Ti Black's came back. Snagged one. Not exactly the most financially prudent move as I was enrolled in the Step-up, but I like my toys and I want to play Metro Exodus again at a locked 60FPS at 1440P with RTX on.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Phone posted:

VelociBacon posted:

This is old news but yes if you set your high refresh rate monitor to over 120hz on older Nvidia cards while having a 60hz secondary monitor it idles the card quite a bit higher. I had this problem with my 980ti and it was resolved with my 2080ti.

Had a 144 Hz and a 60 Hz display together on a 980 and did not have a single issue with this. Currently have a 240 Hz and a 60 Hz together on a 1080 also with no such issue. The only time I know for sure you will have a nvidia card fail to idle down is if you plug three displays into a single card (even if they are all 60 Hz).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Statutory Ape posted:

60 hz / 144 hz / 60 hz

If all else fails, try the multi display power saver tool that comes with Nvidia Inspector.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

Had a 144 Hz and a 60 Hz display together on a 980 and did not have a single issue with this. Currently have a 240 Hz and a 60 Hz together on a 1080 also with no such issue. The only time I know for sure you will have a nvidia card fail to idle down is if you plug three displays into a single card (even if they are all 60 Hz).

Might be something with mismatched resolutions also. I had a 1440p and 1080p.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Possible, my combination was 1080p/144 and 1200p/60 which may be close enough to not cause problems.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no issues here with a 1080ti and 1440/144hz and 4k/60hz
I used to run 1080/144hz and the same 4k/60hz with no high idle issues

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
1440p@60 / 3440p@100 / 1440p@60 and I've idled my 1080Ti at ~1500Mhz core since day 1. Though between the zero actual load and it being under a AIO, it's silent regardless.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

craig588 posted:

This is basically identical to what I did with my Zotac. The stock fans were loud, and I had the stock fans from my D15. The D15 fans were much quieter and performed better.

What's a good 92mm model from Noctua? I've got a Zotac 1070 mini & 2 x 92mm fans would fit perfect on the heatsink, just want something with a good airflow to noise ratio

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

DrDork posted:

1440p@60 / 3440p@100 / 1440p@60 and I've idled my 1080Ti at ~1500Mhz core since day 1. Though between the zero actual load and it being under a AIO, it's silent regardless.

Actual idle on a 1080ti should be like 135 MHz or something in that ballpark, but because you have 3 monitors connected it never actually idles down. If you have an iGPU output available, you could always plug one of the 1440p monitors into it and save yourself a few $ in power every time your computer is on.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I got my 1060 6gb for free when my 970 was giving me problems and RMAed it. I was saving money for a GPU upgrade at the time but held off since I got a free generation upgrade. Is there a good upgrade to a 1060 6gb around right now if I want to step up to 1440p higher refrshsrates (i play on a 1080p 60hrz atm).

How much would an upgrade cost totalling monitor and GPU (I heard that some free sync monitors are now compatible with nvidia?).

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
That's 2073600 (1920x1080) vs 3686400 (2560x1440) pixels, so around 1.8 times as many pixels to push. Add 144 hz which more than twice as many images than 60 hz and you'll end up with about four times higher performance requirements than 1080p@60 (would that be correct?). I'd go with a nvidia 2070 or higher for that. Decent screens like the Asus MG278Q can be had for less than 400$, so that would be a little less than 1000$ combined if you go with the inexpensive options.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 5, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

BOOTY-ADE posted:

What's a good 92mm model from Noctua? I've got a Zotac 1070 mini & 2 x 92mm fans would fit perfect on the heatsink, just want something with a good airflow to noise ratio

I swapped out the stock fans on the D15 for their 3000 RPM fans and run them at the minimum ~700 RPM all the time. I have them go to full speed at 75C to act as an alarm, I'll know if they make noise something is wrong. I don't think Noctua makes the universally best fans in every category, but they're at least very good. I'd get their highest speed 92mm fan and run it slow. https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Design-Bearing-NF-A9-PWM/dp/B00RUZ059O

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Gay Retard posted:

Vega 56's are on sale for $260 after $30 rebate with 3 games:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263

buy this and replace the cooler with an aftermarket one.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...G9964-_-Product

wargames fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 5, 2019

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

geforce 419.35 is supposed to fix the apex dxgi crashes if anyone's been affected by that

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

repiv posted:

geforce 419.35 is supposed to fix the apex dxgi crashes if anyone's been affected by that

TY for this.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EdEddnEddy posted:

I may......still opt into the Step Up program as I feel that a 2080Ti would be the final endpoint of this rig, though I still see it hit close to 100% GPU usage to achieve up to 100fps 1440P Ultrawide, and my CPU has yet to hit 100% on any game I have thrown at it so there is still some headroom in the old box.

It's a weird feeling putting the last upgrade into a rig. I was trying to think of anything else I've owned tech wise that had a 7 year run so far and I'm drawing a blank. If you told me back in 2012 that all I'd do over the next 7 years is upgrade the gpu four times I would have laughed at you. (that starter 680 @ 1440/60 was rough, it took the 2080 for me to finally run all the crysis games maxed out on a oc'd 3770)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

If mine dies I'll obviously replace it, I'm just not itching to drop a grand on a 2080ti right now.

I was initially going to replace the 1080 with a 2080ti, but $2k :canada: was a bit too stupid of an expenditure for me. Still very happy with the regular 2080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

It's a weird feeling putting the last upgrade into a rig. I was trying to think of anything else I've owned tech wise that had a 7 year run so far and I'm drawing a blank. If you told me back in 2012 that all I'd do over the next 7 years is upgrade the gpu four times I would have laughed at you. (that starter 680 @ 1440/60 was rough, it took the 2080 for me to finally run all the crysis games maxed out on a oc'd 3770)

drat that is true isn't it.

I started off this system with SLI 560TI's coming from my Q9550 system that was still pretty badass in it's own right, but I wanted that 6 core goodness at a time when prices weren't absurd like they are these days for the HEDT platform.

Then I did almost the same as you.. GTX780, then SLI 780's.

Then 980Ti. (VR forced this upgrade as my SLI 780's were roughly equal performance in everything that SLI worked with.)

Then now the 2080........ Jeeze you're right. 4 years and outside of upgrading storage and GPU's, the core system has remained relatively the same. Things around it have changed, and pretty much every port has been filled. (nVME, X-Fi, USB 3.0 card for VR, 6 HDD's + 1 Optical...)

Crazy that 2012-2013 tech would last this long, though also funny is a friend I built a P6T/i7920 powered rig in like 2010 is still using it today and still does what he needs.

Guess you can just say that the Core architecture was drat good.