Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

FirstAidKite posted:

I think what he suffers from the most is that he already had his goal for the most part and his goal was to be as close to being a nonexistent all-powerful being as possible so instead of getting to see him strive for the power even further like you would with Pucci or Funny Valentine, you're watching him strive to maintain that power and lifestyle he currently has like Kira, but Kira's lifestyle is inherently more presentable than Diavolo's since the idea of Diavolo is that you don't know poo poo about him and if you know poo poo about him then you've already undone him. You can see how Araki attempted to redo this kind of character motivation with Pucci and Funny Valentine and those two are far more prevalent and noteworthy in their own parts.

Interesting stuff is still there, I think, like the implication that his past makes no sense because he probably muddied up the details on purpose. Like the idea that he becomes self-defeating when the entire point behind his stand is that he remains undefeated is pretty funny to me.

That and I like Doppio so I can let Diavolo slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the doppio stuff and the whole metallica scenario in general makes me like diavolo somewhat, he just suffers from not having enough time to actually be fleshed out

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Doppio should've been the final boss, gently caress Diavolo.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Man, I'm smiling again thinking about the toy phone gag on the airplane. :allears:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
There's no Disneyland in Florida is there? Of course there's not gonna be any Rickey Rat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't tell if you're joking.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Zeruel posted:

There's no Disneyland in Florida is there? Of course there's not gonna be any Rickey Rat

of course there's no disneyland, annasui in that panel is looking at a guidebook for universal studios after all

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't tell if you're joking.

I am not American.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zeruel posted:

I am not American.
:eng101: Disney Land is in California and Disney World is in Florida.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I consider Doppio to be an extension of Diavolo. So I am largely pretty fond of him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I consider Doppio to be an extension of Diavolo. So I am largely pretty fond of him.

Same here. Doppio is an essential part of Diavolo; so he adds to him by default.

I really don't like Pucci as far as JoJos villains go; he had a presence early on unlike Kira, DIO, or Diavolo, which gives him a slight advantage, but he's just basically a slightly pompous straight man throughout and is immediately overshadowed by the more pompous and glorious Valentine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pucci is cool.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I really like both Pucci and Diavolo. Diavolo has a cool concept and I genuinely believe he serves his purpose as a great motivation to give us awesome stand fights really well. Plus every scene with Doppio is golden.

Something I really like about Pucci is that he absolutely refuses to take Jolyne lightly. The bit where he reprimands one of his goons for not taking her seriously is great and whenever they fight he doesn't gently caress around at all. He's like an anti-DIO in that he's completely focused on winning without all the posturing. Which makes it great that the first time he monologues at someone before killing them is when he gets owned.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Diavolo is sort of like a combination of DIO and Kira and ends up not being as fun as either one of them. I still like him, but he's probably one of the weakest villains.

All the stuff going on with Pucci makes me like him even if he succeeds for increasingly bullshit reasons. He started as a kid that made a huge mistake and ended up becoming a gigantic piece of poo poo because he got power.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I totally disagree with Pucci's worldview but I understand why due to his past he thinks it would be preferable, despite all the memes Valentine doesn't even have that, he's just a nationalistic piece of poo poo with thin justifications whose desires causes untold harm.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Valentine is great and the napkin speech is a legitimate interesting philosophy that makes sense for the time period

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
On its face the Valentine Is The Good Guy jokes are even good because thats exactly how Valentine frames the fight. The whole source of the conflict is that Johnny thinks he's the bad guy for fighting the president and maybe he should just fall in line

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Valentine is a good villain but he's a piece of poo poo and the scene where all Johnny and Gyro's attacks get reflected to other people in other parts of the world, who just die randomly for no reason completely unpreventably, is abjectly horrifying in a completely unique way for this series. It totally underlines that his entire justification is loving awful.

e: my point is, Pucci is far more sympathetic than Valentine

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Darko posted:

Same here. Doppio is an essential part of Diavolo; so he adds to him by default.

I really don't like Pucci as far as JoJos villains go; he had a presence early on unlike Kira, DIO, or Diavolo, which gives him a slight advantage, but he's just basically a slightly pompous straight man throughout and is immediately overshadowed by the more pompous and glorious Valentine.

lmao at calling pucci straight

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Arist posted:

Valentine is a good villain but he's a piece of poo poo and the scene where all Johnny and Gyro's attacks get reflected to other people in other parts of the world, who just die randomly for no reason completely unpreventably, is abjectly horrifying in a completely unique way for this series. It totally underlines that his entire justification is loving awful.

Yeah I love this. You can see Valentine's initially noble dream of protecting his country and establishing a model of power and safety for the world to follow get twisted into pure spite.

The Johnny vs Valentine fight is a clash of trying to protect all of a nation versus one man trying to achieve internal peace and we find ourselves cheering for just one twenty year old to be happy. It's good

Darko posted:

straight
uhhhhhhhhhhh lol?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Momomo posted:

All the stuff going on with Pucci makes me like him even if he succeeds for increasingly bullshit reasons.

Maybe it's just me, but the bullshit reasons are why I liked the later parts of Stone Ocean quite a lot. There was this inevitability to everything, the feeling that reality itself was actively assisting Pucci; there are so many moments where he only survives through incredibly convoluted coincidences, but it all seems purposeful.

In fact, it's made even more apparent by the second aspect I'm really fond of: Pucci himself has absolutely no idea what he's doing. The villain, the protagonists and the audience are all on the exact same level of information. I mean, for as much faith as he has in DIO's directions, Pucci's entire plan literally boils down to:
Step 1: Be at Cape Canaveral during the New Moon.
Step 2: ???????
Step 3: Heaven

This, too, is somewhat present in the Valentine fight as well, though in a less interesting way, in my opinion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel pretty confident the term 'straight man' is being used in the context of 'person who is relatively grounded despite all the zany bullshit around them'

which he is

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Even then Pucci uses a guy as a CD player, counts prime numbers when hes nervous, his facial hair turns into stars, he argues with his Stand, he looks down at a snail and goes "If this snail touches my hand, I will have to murder my brother:

Pucci is a weirdo

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel pretty confident the term 'straight man' is being used in the context of 'person who is relatively grounded despite all the zany bullshit around them'

which he is

I think people know that, they're just making jokes

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Arist posted:

The president of the United States making people in other countries suffer for him is a pretty biting statement imo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The president of the United States making people in other countries suffer for him is a pretty biting statement imo

It's loving incredible. I love this series.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Why was Valentine fat and then got fit again? I get that it was probably to have the twist that he's the antagonist work, but what did he do to get fit?
I should re-read SBR.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Honest Thief posted:

Why was Valentine fat and then got fit again? I get that it was probably to have the twist that he's the antagonist work, but what did he do to get fit?
I should re-read SBR.

He accepted Jesus into his heart.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Honest Thief posted:

I should re-read SBR.

He fixed his posture and sucked in his gut. Same as Pesci.

Valentine was more of a daddy's boy, tho

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Honest Thief posted:

I should re-read SBR.
Serious answer: He got the rib cage corpse parr some time before we see him handsome so almost certainly that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The real telling moment with Valentine is when he legit convinces Johnny to back down and make peace with him and is completely free to walk away and achieve his goals unmolested and thinks 'when his guard is dropped and I've made a solumn vow on my father's honour to leave him be - that's when I'll murder him'. Just an absolute piece of poo poo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
look his heart and actions are utterly unclouded

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BaDandy posted:

The beauty of Stone Ocean is that the smartest person in the room is in a coma for most of it and Jolyne has to share her three brain cells with Hermes and Friends.

My last two brain cells finding a good idea

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Expect My Mom posted:

Serious answer: He got the rib cage corpse parr some time before we see him handsome so almost certainly that

I thought he just replaced himself with a more handsome self from another reality at some point.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Dragonwagon posted:

I thought he just replaced himself with a more handsome self from another reality at some point.

I think this is what Lucy being able to hear his footsteps implies, yeah.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Arist posted:

Its been a while since I read Steel Ball Run but in the end the corpse ends up locked up in Manhattan and under the control of the US, right? I always felt like World War 2 was the culmination of bad luck being projected away from the United States and in the end every other major power got reduced to ashes and the US was there to profit from it

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Johnny Joestar posted:

which he is

Straight as a pejorative

Improbable Lobster posted:

My last two brain cells finding a good idea

Hahaha

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Its been a while since I read Steel Ball Run but in the end the corpse ends up locked up in Manhattan and under the control of the US, right? I always felt like World War 2 was the culmination of bad luck being projected away from the United States and in the end every other major power got reduced to ashes and the US was there to profit from it

Johnny stole it a couple years later and brought it to Japan

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
and the US government came to bring it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

and the US government came to bring it back

Wait did they succeed? I thought the walleyes were caused by all the Jesus in the soil.