Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
VA denied my claim. Haven't gotten the letter yet, but it's showing up in my list of disabilities as "not service connected."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hey does anyone have any links about veteran business preferences or loan opporities?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:wtf: The VA sent me a letter claiming I received military drill pay while receiving VA compensation in FY17 since whatever system reports military pay status to the VA said I was actively drilling for the whole year of 2017. The only issue with that is I ETSed in February 2017 and received a VA rating backdated to July 2017, so obviously this claim is completely wrong. Anyone dealt with a similar situation? I'm assuming my separation orders should suffice to prove that I wasn't receiving military pay during the period the Army falsely reported to the VA.

Great job, Army incompetence comes back to bite me in the rear end well after I ETS.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I got a 1095C from the US Air Force. I have not been in the Air Force for 4 years.

In June 2014, I attended OTS, but due to a congenital problem with my legs, did not complete. I think I technically voluntarily withdrew and ended up with "Entry Level Separation" on my DD214. Seen/heard pretty much nothing from the USAF since other than through work (Defense Industry).

The 1095C only shows me through June, which is 4 years from my original enlist date. Its to my newest address, but the USAF at large definitely has that. Is this anything I should be worried about?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I wouldn't be concerned, but that is weird.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This is a bit of a long shot, but ya got to try.

I was in for 8 years ETS Aug 20 2001. Honourable and all that jazz with a 20% disability.

I have lived in Australia since 2002 and am currently going through the hell that is AU immigration so I am not a permanent resident here yet. I got a phone call today from my brother in the US that my mother has just been diagnosed as having stage 4 anaplastic thyroid cancer and doesn't have long. I would like to get myself and my daughter back to the US to see her before the end. Unfortunately, I just finished off paying the last of my large immigration/lawyer bill and am embarrassingly drat near broke. I can't get a loan in AU because I am not a permanent resident yet. I am going to try contacting the bank in the US that my disability checks go to to see if I can get one from them, but I am not counting on it.

Are there any groups or services that you guys and gals can think of that I could apply for a loan? As I said it's probably a long shot.

Thanks

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

:wtf: The VA sent me a letter claiming I received military drill pay while receiving VA compensation in FY17 since whatever system reports military pay status to the VA said I was actively drilling for the whole year of 2017. The only issue with that is I ETSed in February 2017 and received a VA rating backdated to July 2017, so obviously this claim is completely wrong. Anyone dealt with a similar situation? I'm assuming my separation orders should suffice to prove that I wasn't receiving military pay during the period the Army falsely reported to the VA.

Great job, Army incompetence comes back to bite me in the rear end well after I ETS.

I ran into the same thing for FY16, returned from deployment in NOV2015, was on terminal leave from title 10 until Feb2016, va payments started the day after terminal leave was up. Check the right box on the VA Form 21-8951-2 saying you disagree with the number of duty days on the front, include your statement on the statement in support of a claim form they should have included, and send them a copy of your discharge orders and your disability award letter that shows the date that you started receiving benefits.

I'm pretty certain all they do is get a report of how many days you were in a duty status during the FY, without actual dates, so when there is an FY overlap it causes issues.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

is the estimated time for claim decision anywhere near accurate? Just curious

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is the estimated time for claim decision anywhere near accurate? Just curious

It was for me. It moved a week or two but was overall fairly accurate. Now I am anxiously awaiting April 9th for the next decision.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I got my initial claim submitted in July and had my decision by the end of September or early October.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MonkeyWash posted:

It was for me. It moved a week or two but was overall fairly accurate. Now I am anxiously awaiting April 9th for the next decision.

4/10 for me

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Hey does anyone have any links about veteran business preferences or loan opporities?

It's kinda scattered all over the place. SBA loans are lower cost (no loan packaging fees) and depending on your business type there are a million different contracting preference programs that mostly only matter if you're doing business with the government. Look up a veteran's business outreach center, they should have more info

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I submitted my claim last January, got a "claim received" notice around June... and another "claim received" notice yesterday. :confused:

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

DoktorLoken posted:

Just so you know, the fiscal year runs from October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2017.

In order to avoid having your compensation stopped to recover the drill pay, you will need to take the form VA sent you to your reserve/guard company commander (if you have one) and have them report the actual number of drill days accounted for. It gets weird, as, if I recall, you get 4 drill pay days per weekend. VA probably won't accept your report that you never drilled, so just take it to your unit and have someone verify the days. If they can write a quick letter saying that you had no drill days after February, that would help to clarify things.

Also, did you ETS from the reserves/guard in February, or from active duty? If it's the latter, take a look at your benefits, because you probably should have gotten back payment to February of 2017....

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I ETSed from the Guard and that commander is long gone, not to mention my old unit is 80 miles away. I sent them a copy of my separation orders, it defies logic to think that I would have performed military duty or been paid by the DoD after that date. That date is prior to when I began receiving VA compensation. If the VA is that stupid I'm just going to punt it to my congresswoman, because gently caress showing up to some unit that doesn't know me and hasn't seen me in 2+ years while also having to waste a day doing it.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I want to use my post 9/11 gi bill benifits to pay for some technical certifications. How long does it take to get compensated for the exam costs? I could take a couple right away, but I don't want to float like $3k for months, and would spread it out depending on the timeline. I'm able to use VR&E but the office here is a total shitshow, so waiting until I move in ~6mo is an option.

E: I was told 30-35 days by the va on the phone, which is alright if true. The costs of some exams do not match what is in their database though (WEAMS). Should I expect payment for the actual cost, or what's on there? One is off by like $1k so I'll probably wait until I can get enrolled in VR&E elsewhere.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 8, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Space A is vets and family right? Planning a move and it might be the best way for us to get from A to B

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Only if you're retired or maybe 100% disabled I think.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Soulex posted:

Space A is vets and family right? Planning a move and it might be the best way for us to get from A to B

There are priority levels and it can be a pain but here's some info

https://www.militaryonesource.mil/recreation-travel-shopping/travel/travel-planning/plan-your-trip-with-space-a-travel

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks. Priority level 6 is better than paying 6 grand for plane tickets

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If there are seats available, which you won't know until boarding time.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

This makes me wonder something. I'm medically retired and at 70%, but I can use Space A. 100% disabled veterans also have to be retired, right? So why are they only just recently able to use Space A? Why would they get less benefits than me at 70%? Someone said it's because I'm still subject to UCMJ and can be recalled at any point, while they cannot be recalled and are not subject to UCMJ. Is this true?

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

GoGoGadget posted:

This makes me wonder something. I'm medically retired and at 70%, but I can use Space A. 100% disabled veterans also have to be retired, right? So why are they only just recently able to use Space A? Why would they get less benefits than me at 70%? Someone said it's because I'm still subject to UCMJ and can be recalled at any point, while they cannot be recalled and are not subject to UCMJ. Is this true?

100 Percent Disabled vets can now fly on Space A whether retired or not, but their families can't, which is kind of dumb.

https://taskandpurpose.com/disabled-veterans-space-available-travel

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It makes sense if you just remember that they don't want you to enjoy anything.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

MonkeyWash posted:

100 Percent Disabled vets can now fly on Space A whether retired or not, but their families can't, which is kind of dumb.

Category 6 is for dependents and retirees though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Category 6 is for dependents and retirees though.

Retirees and their dependents (when flying with their sponsor). I can't fly Space A.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Does medically retired count? Im also 100%. and was medboarded and got the blue ID.

Not knowing now would be good so we can buy plane tickets early. So, I appreciate this.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I'm medically retired and have used "space available" for gateway inn, but idk if the requirements for flights are the same.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Does medically retired count? Im also 100%. and was medboarded and got the blue ID.

Not knowing now would be good so we can buy plane tickets early. So, I appreciate this.

I think medically retired counts as retired.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only real difference between medically retiring and doing your 20 and retiring is the different way your retirement pay is calculated.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Should I bother talking to a VSO before getting the results of a sleep study done? The only other proactive thing I can think of to do is get a statement or two from some of the poor unfortunate bastards in my platoon about how I snored like a retarded chainsaw that occasionally stopped breathing. I sure as hell didn't sleep for 10 hours and wake up feeling like I'd had <4 constantly before the Army.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
So much of claims stuff is about getting screwed by what you couldn’t possibly have known about the claims system, so I feel like it’s always worth it to talk to a VSO before dropping any paper.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

iKon posted:

So much of claims stuff is about getting screwed by what you couldn’t possibly have known about the claims system, so I feel like it’s always worth it to talk to a VSO before dropping any paper.

I agree, it's always better to go with a VSO. There's so much to the whole claims system it's hard to do it all by yourself. A good VSO makes a big difference.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Oh I'm not going anywhere near the VA without a VSO, I was just wondering about before I even start that process.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MonkeyWash posted:

just a heads up mine moved to preparing for decision

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

MonkeyWash posted:

But how can you be 100% disabled and not retired? Just if it isn't service connected?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

GoGoGadget posted:

But how can you be 100% disabled and not retired? Just if it isn't service connected?

You only get medically retired if you get medically discharged for a specific condition that rates individually greater than 30%. It’s not based upon your cumulative VA rating.

You can separate normally and end up at 100% disabled by VA rating.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

just a heads up mine moved to preparing for decision

Thanks, I checked mine and the date changed, April 13th instead of the 9th now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GoGoGadget posted:

They are two separate things that often overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Oh I'm not going anywhere near the VA without a VSO, I was just wondering about before I even start that process.

I'm actually not sure what you are asking but I think I do. You basically need to get every single thing possible documented before your start your claims process. They're is no reason to delay that

E: I waited until the last possible moment to get a sleep study because I was worried about losing my flight status. I really wish I hadn't waited that long. It made such a huge quality of life improvement for me to start using a CPAP. I had a stupid high number of events per hour and I let it go for years and years. And yes the automatic 50% disability rating for that is nice too.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 20, 2019