Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's how the ad was presented. Frankly I didn't want to research it any further because it's just so horrid.

Why

Its basically a sports coupe built into the body of a pickup truck. It does neither role well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It does do one thing well: appeal to boomers with horrible taste.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

If I can't fit a sheet of plywood in it then there's no loving point to having a bed.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

They managed to make it weigh 4700 lbs which is pretty impressive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's how the ad was presented. Frankly I didn't want to research it any further because it's just so horrid.

Why

I saw one in a wrecking yard recently, and i never realized it was body on frame. I figured it looked too low, a frame would take up all the space, i never even questioned it and assumed it must be unibody.

But nope, it's a basically a trailblazer underneath.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Minnesota Mixup posted:

They managed to make it weigh 4700 lbs which is pretty impressive.

holy poo poo how

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

holy poo poo how

It's a convertible this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

holy poo poo how

Apparently MURICAN BODY PANELS, the hard top is absurdly heavy, and it's a trailblazer chassis (which was already heavy).

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f4/weight-reasons-41341/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Where have you been the last decade?
The rest of us have had that long to get used to it, and just be disgusted rather than surprised by it. :)

edit: I was replying to MrOnBicycle, specifically. This is what I get for not refreshing before replying.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 5, 2019

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

The rest of us have had that long to get used to it, and just be disgusted rather than surprised by it. :)

edit: I was replying to MrOnBicycle, specifically. This is what I get for not refreshing before replying.

He's lucky. I also suspect he thinks it's a version of the HHR.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Code Jockey posted:

holy poo poo how

I assumed they had done the BMW 3-series convertible trick of welding two floorpans together for added stiffness but it turns out the car started bad and got worse.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

drgitlin posted:

It’s not coming to America, sorry.

loving Honda. First they don't let me have the Beat, now they don't let me have the new CVCC.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Darchangel posted:

Being European has thankfully spared me from the horrors of 90's and early 00's US car design. The car in the ad is likely one of very few here. Probably imported.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why

That looks like Fischer-Price made it.

Then again, Fischer-Price has better ideas of design. It looks like someone trying to imitate Fischer-Price made it. I find it kind of cute in a stupid way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrOnBicycle posted:

Being European has thankfully spared me from the horrors of 90's and early 00's US car design. The car in the ad is likely one of very few here. Probably imported.

It saddens me you never experienced the mid 70's and 80's dumpster fires as well.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I saw a dude spin one once, and then roast the tires and flipped it around. I think you could get a manual in them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Oh, yeah, that’ll do it. Forgive me for being America-centric.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That looks like Fischer-Price made it.

Then again, Fischer-Price has better ideas of design. It looks like someone trying to imitate Fischer-Price made it. I find it kind of cute in a stupid way.

It could have been so much better. They were going for the look of the ‘47-‘53 pickups, with nice rounded fenders, so why did they flatten the sides like that? It looks like they scraped along a wall or something.
When they came out, one hot rod shop actually put the ‘47-‘53 fenders on it, and replicated the thin chrome bumpers also typical of that model, and it looked so much better. They may have done something with the grille, too.
What really killed them, besides cost, was that weight, or more accurately, power to weight. Initially, they only came with the 5.3, so they weren’t fast. GM later dropped in the 6.0, but by that time it was too late. They were still too heavy and too expensive for what they were. It was a neat idea, just not well-executed.

edit: found it. They basically did the whole front clip (which gets rid of the other feature I hate, that spear dividing the headlights, and a bumper also resolves that receding chin line), running boards, and the rear fenders.
http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/0909tr-chevrolet-ssr/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 6, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This could have sucked.

Heading home yesterday morning, I moved to the right lane and heard a rumble. I thought it was just rough pavement and shrugged it off. At the last second I remembered I needed to make a stop. So I exited the interstate, moved across three lanes, turned left and slowed down to turn into the parking lot when THUMP. Rear end jerked as I was turning into a parking space.

Looks pretty bad right? The only damage besides the tire was 8 clips holding the side skirt on. $16 and you can't even tell anything happened.

Pro tip, don't run winter tires for one extra season just because they have no visible dry rotting or worn treads. Seriously, the other three still look fine. On the bright side, I have not even year old new all seasons on my alternate wheels so I was back on the road just a few hours later.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why

My favorite take on the SSR was something along the lines of "who was the target market for this? Rednecks who had won the lottery?"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Powershift posted:

It's a convertible this

but does it come in Murano?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nocheez posted:

My favorite take on the SSR was something along the lines of "who was the target market for this? Rednecks who had won the lottery?"

boomers

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nocheez posted:

The same folks who liked the PT Cruiser, Prowler, and HHR

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

opengl128 posted:

It does do one thing well: appeal to boomers with horrible taste.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/3uK1YRh.mp4

"Did I forget something? ...nahh"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

Sure, but the PT Cruiser and HHR were much cheaper than the SSR.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This SSR bullshit just drives me to weep over a picture of an El Camino.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3uK1YRh.mp4

"Did I forget something? ...nahh"

lmao that the most "oh its a mustang" reaction i've ever seen

except he turns his back on it which can be potentially fatal

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thief posted:

lmao that the most "oh its a mustang" reaction i've ever seen

except he turns his back on it which can be potentially fatal

Yeah, raises an ethical dilemma. Taking the time to break out the phone and film when maybe shouting "hey dumbass" at the idiot might have helped. Or perhaps they were assholes and well let's watch them burn. The latter is probably the correct answer now that I think about it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah I was thinking it's a dick move to not tell them about it, but for all I know they did say something about it, they ignored them, and then they started filming. Although I don't know how they would have gotten the mustang up on the trailer without ramps, hmm

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The uhaul trailer has pull out ramps, he was most likely in a rush and didn't think about it. I think it is pretty hosed up that someone filmed and didn't say anything to the dude.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah I was thinking it's a dick move to not tell them about it, but for all I know they did say something about it, they ignored them, and then they started filming. Although I don't know how they would have gotten the mustang up on the trailer without ramps, hmm

Well, somehow Mustangs end up in people's yards, parks, trees, medians, etc. so the trailer wasn't probably a big deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gotta get them youtube hits.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I like how the guy appears to be looking out of the window wondering why the wheels were spinning.
Bonus: he's going to have to climb out of the window. The doors are now too low to clear the trailer fenders. How much you want to be the creases the door slamming it open first?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fakeaccount posted:

This SSR bullshit just drives me to weep over a picture of an El Camino.

Or more poignantly, the Pontiac G8 ST, the ute we almost got, but got the SSR instead.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Doesn't the uhaul car trailer have a fold down fender on the driver side?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

Doesn't the uhaul car trailer have a fold down fender on the driver side?

Yeah

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Or more poignantly, the Pontiac G8 ST, the ute we almost got, but got the SSR instead.

The SSR was out before the G8 though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The SSR was out before the G8 though.
I... actually didn’t check the timeline. You could argue that the failure of the SSR had a hand in the cancellation of the ST. Probably more likely that GM was already planning on killing Pontiac at that point, though. Fuckers.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be happy just to have a monte carlo in this day and age. Of course it would have to be rear-wheel drive for me even to call it a monte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah I was thinking it's a dick move to not tell them about it, but for all I know they did say something about it, they ignored them, and then they started filming.

i sincerely doubt that trying to warn them would even get noticed by the driver before they learn by fire that you don't actually need to press the gas pedal after shifting into reverse because they've likely only ever parked by pulling through a suburban cul de sac