Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was just reminded of this children's book because of something I read on the forums and now I need to track down a copy.

I don't even remember if it was good or not I just remember the cover.

(I believe this is the original:)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I need to go pick up my mail because I have a bunch of books waiting for me, but in the meantime, here are a few things:

There is a bizarre store in Alameda called Discount City, and it's filled with all sorts of questionable items from god knows where. It is awesome. Anyway, last time I was there they had a few hundred beat-up paperbacks stacked in a pile near the birthday party supplies. Most of them were dull-looking romance novels and Robert Heinlein books, but I did find this Charles Williams novel for 99 cents:

I've had this enormous two volume set of the complete Far Side for years, but I haven't posted it here yet. (I still have a lot of good stuff I haven't had a chance to post yet.)

As I've mentioned before, my apartment complex has a place where people leave miscellaneous stuff, usually when moving out. Most of it isn't very interesting, so I was pleased to score this the other day:

It's a cheaply bound, photocopied book by fundamentalist evangelical Christians and noted ex-Mormons Jerald and Sandra Tanner. They are probably most well known for making The Godmakers and The Godmakers II, which are anti-Mormon documentaries with hilarious cartoon segments.

Here's the whole thing on Youtube. Actually, it might be both of the Godmakers films, although I'm not 100% sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljzVkt-I4Co

The Tanners were also staples of the fundamentalist Christian Pagan Invasion video series from Jeremiah Films. For anyone who finds crazy religious stuff as hilarious as I do, I cannot recommend these highly enough!! Here is a playlist with all 13 episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzoN9FYkjp4

Speaking of homemade books, here is one I made at work the other day. It is the unused original script for Robocop II

More soon.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread. Ill try to pull some stuff from my shelves and join in next week.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's weird to see books I own posted here...

I should really get off my rear end and take a few photos of some of my weirder and/or more wonderful books.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pershing posted:

Ill try to pull some stuff from my shelves and join in next week.

Ornamented Death posted:

I should really get off my rear end and take a few photos of some of my weirder and/or more wonderful books.

Please do!

Here's a Japanese book about the making of the 1966 movie Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (aka Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster) featuring everyone's favorite giant lobster, Ebirah:

Here is another Japanese book; this one's about the most recent Gamera movie, Gamera the Brave (2006). It is a goddamn travesty that there hasn't been a new Gamera movie in 13 years.

As a side note, I tagged along with my girlfriend when she was sent on a last-minute 10-day work trip to Tokyo in 2017. I was shocked at how little presence Gamera had over there (Godzilla stuff was everywhere). One day we went to a 7-story nerd store with an entire floor dedicated to kaiju (giant monster) toys, and even there, I was only able to find a single Gamera figure. That was the only Gamera-related thing I saw during the entire trip. Happily, it only set me back the equivalent of $12 or something like that.
That store also had an Ebirah figure from 1966, but it was priced at the equivalent of $500 or thereabouts. That's way too expensive for a bottom-feeder like me.

On the topic of movies, here is one about the best film ever made:

And one about a movie that's sort of a guilty pleasure for me:

Speaking of Howard the Duck, I also picked up this old comic, which contains Howard's first appearance:

Speaking of comics, here is a Spider-Man comic featuring a photo from the horrible 1977 TV show. The camera man in the mirror is a nice touch.

Speaking of 1977, here's a Mad Magazine from the month I was born. I have a lot of old issues of Mad, but I've never read this one.

Oh, and we need to talk about Night Cat:

I will do an effort post about that in the near future...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This issue of Esquire from September 1969 featured the famous article by Gore Vidal about what a pathetic sack of poo poo William F. Buckley was. Buckley, whiny crybaby that he was, sued the author and magazine for defamation, and as a result the article isn't allowed to be reprinted. That's too bad, because it's hilarious. Maybe I'll scan it later. The font is too tiny for my phone camera to capture clearly.

I ordered the last issue of Found magazine (to date) from 2013:

They sent me this photo:

This zine:

And this book:

I also picked up issues 2 and 3 of Dirty Found:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Oh, and we need to talk about Night Cat:

I will do an effort post about that in the near future...

Mister Kitty of Stupid Comics did a 2-part write-up of Night Cat, which you can find here and here. Night Cat's full album can be heard here. You can also see the "real" Night Cat, Jacqueline Tavarez (AKA Jacqueline Love) as Rosie in Lloyd Kaufman's 1996 masterpiece Tromeo and Juliet and in several adult films.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Mister Kitty of Stupid Comics did a 2-part write-up of Night Cat, which you can find here and here. Night Cat's full album can be heard here. You can also see the "real" Night Cat, Jacqueline Tavarez (AKA Jacqueline Love) as Rosie in Lloyd Kaufman's 1996 masterpiece Tromeo and Juliet and in several adult films.

Nice! Thanks for the links.

I have the 12" single, the full CD, and a press kit with pictures. I'll dig that stuff out soon and post it here.

Spoiler alert, the music is terrible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hfE009MKM

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Here's one I had some photos of already on my computer.

A Puppet Show by Jeffrey Thomas, published as a 26-book edition by Delirium Books. Just a small novella and it's giant traycase:

Let's open up that traycase, shall we?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Another Jeffrey Thomas book, Monstrocity. Nothing particularly special about the book itself, it's just a trade hardcover.

It has a pretty sweet inscription, though!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm not sure if this counts but I have a book I've been working on for a while

My father was a pilot and snagged a log book years back and since I was born I have the details of every flight I have been on.

Last time I did the math I have something like 400 hours in the air.

It also came in handy a while ago when I had to date some old family video , I could make out the landmarks and we we able work out where it was and cross reference the date with my log book

Also, the Borat book is loving wild

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I'm unfamiliar with both of those, but would probably pick them up and start reading if I saw them.

Jestery posted:

I'm not sure if this counts but I have a book I've been working on for a while

My father was a pilot and snagged a log book years back and since I was born I have the details of every flight I have been on.

Last time I did the math I have something like 400 hours in the air.

It also came in handy a while ago when I had to date some old family video , I could make out the landmarks and we we able work out where it was and cross reference the date with my log book

That's pretty cool.

I bought this because I liked the title:

It's cut from the same cloth as Shakespeare, apparently:

These two were also part of the deal:

Here's a nice, new hardcover about Motorhead's first year:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I want to order those Snack Bar Fallout Shelter plans. I ought to send in that postcard and see if I get a response.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cool fort! :haw:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This 1978 book about the Anti-Christ has some great pictures:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This 1978 book about the Anti-Christ has some great pictures:

So much cooler than what really happened between 1978 and 1993.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

this book is pretty weird but pretty good too

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm a collector, but my goals are somewhat different than Gutter Phoenix's - I'm largely after first, signed, and limited edition speculative fiction books. As such, I don't necessarily consider most of what I have to be "weird" and I'm self-aware enough to realize that most of you wouldn't find large swaths of my collection "wonderful." That said, here's an exhaustive list of most everything I have, so if you want to see a photo of something, just let me know.

I do have SOME weird stuff, though. Like this.

That's volumes 1 through 25 of the infamous Gor Chronicles by John Norman. I inherited these from an otherwise normal relative, and for whatever reason just haven't had the heart to sell them (mostly because it's not worth the time).

Switching back to Jeffrey Thomas for a few photos, first up is this:

This is the limited edition version of his novel Health Agent. That cover is a hand-painted piece by Steven Archer.

Over the years I've developed a friendship with Jeff, and he'll occasionally send me gifts. Here are two:

The Russian edition of his collection Punktown.

The Taiwanese edition of his novel Letters From Hades (I think...).

Speaking of gifts...

This is a letter from Canadian author Simon Strantzas. The story here is that, after looking for a copy of his first collection Beneath the Surface for a number of years, I was finally able to get a copy...two days before a new edition was announced. He got wind of it, as there were not many copies of the original edition out there, so he knew most of folks that owned a copy, and got in touch with me.

And this last photo is of something I just think is pretty neat.

These are three of the five issues of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction where the five parts of Stephen King's The Gunslinger were originally serialized.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I added a few more items to my growing collection of Cold War Civil Defense publications:

I also got a Penguin edition of part of the Historia Augusta. Good English translations of the whole thing appear to be non-existent (besides the 1921 Loeb Classical Library edition), so I either have to take what I can get, or get off my lazy rear end and finally learn how to read Latin.

Speaking of scholarly works, here is an Toxic Avenger comic book/ graphic novel signed by Troma head Lloyd Kaufman:

And a "gentleman's humor" magazine from 1954:

Miscellaneous crap:

Corn Palace:

Communism:

"CHiPs":

FYI - Dirk Blocker, son of Dan Blocker ("Hoss" on Bonanza), currently plays Detective Hitchcock on Brooklyn Nine-Nine and is very funny.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm a collector, but my goals are somewhat different than Gutter Phoenix's - I'm largely after first, signed, and limited edition speculative fiction books. As such, I don't necessarily consider most of what I have to be "weird" and I'm self-aware enough to realize that most of you wouldn't find large swaths of my collection "wonderful." That said, here's an exhaustive list of most everything I have, so if you want to see a photo of something, just let me know.

That is a whole lot of horror! I looked through all 38 pages of your list, and didn't see much overlap between our libraries besides Milton, Dante, Chris Elliott, George Carlin, the Hard Case Crime books, and maybe one or two others.

Actually, there might be some overlap with my girlfriend's half of our books, mainly because she has edited A LOT of sci-fi/ horror books during her career. Her share of the shelves are much more cluttered than mine are, and precariously stacked, so even though we've lived together for years, I've never looked through all of her books. She has thousands.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I want to know how UPCs enable the Antichrist. No reason ha ha *tugs collar* just curious *nudges baphomet made of barcodes into hiding* ha ha can you even imagine

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

SavageMessiah posted:

I want to know how UPCs enable the Antichrist. No reason ha ha *tugs collar* just curious *nudges baphomet made of barcodes into hiding* ha ha can you even imagine

I'll have to take a closer look at that Anti-Christ book tonight. In the meantime, this will help you on your spiritual journey:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This seems like a good time to talk about one of the greatest books I have ever read. Now that I think about it, it probably exposed me to Chick tracts for the first time, and definitely exposed me to crackpot Evangelical lunacy for the first time.

Projection for Survival by Leon Bates (1977)

When I was about fifteen, my dad returned from a library sale with a stack of books he thought I'd find interesting, and this was among them. I think he glanced at the cover and thought it was about UFOs, or conspiracy theories, or survival in the wilderness, or... I don't even know. Anyway, I guess it is about all of those topics in some way. Mostly it's about the rapture, but Leon Bates strays into all sorts of other topics over the course of this excellent book. The artwork appears to be heavily influenced by Jack Chick's, but it looks like it was drawn by a ten-year old (and for all I know, it have have been). The text makes Chick's beliefs seem moderate by comparison. Also, it uses Chick tracts as a source at least two times. This was probably my first exposure to Chick tracts, although it'd be nearly twenty years before I got my own copy of Kings of the East.

Enjoy some highlights!

Chick references:

I picked up a second copy of this a couple of years ago, figuring that it'd make a fine gift for someone special. While taking pictures this afternoon, I noticed that Leon updated the family photos he used in the book.

The copy I recently purchased was the first printing from 1977, and had this somewhat normal, albeit dorky, looking late-70's family photo:

In the 1979 reprint that I'd grown to know and love, his daughter was replaced by Alfred E. Neuman:

The later version also had this vacation photo of Leon, which relates to the topic of magic numbers from earlier in this overlong post.

I love this picture:

About ten years ago, I looked up Leon Bates and was happy to see he is still at it. I just remembered that I emailed his organization, and a week later I received a CD-ROM containing a PowerPoint presentation of the material in Projection for Survival, as well as a handful of pamphlets. I think I might still have them in a big box of miscellaneous religious tracts. I'll post them if I find them. They might not be Chick tracts, but they deserve an honorable mention.

Here is Leon Bates' website:

http://www.bbea.org/index.php/history

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This is some color and an absurd speech bubble away from being a Will Laren piece. I love it.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Antivehicular posted:

This is some color and an absurd speech bubble away from being a Will Laren piece. I love it.

Dominic you rat! I can't believe you gave your own brother the old spicy barcodechewing gum stuck to my face!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

The Youtube channel RedLetterMedia watched a video about it once and it was basically some fuzzy interpretation of Revelations plus a lot of wonky numerology. Whereupon you can add up some of the numbers on some barcodes and you'll get 666, which means all barcodes are of the devil.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

muscles like this! posted:

The Youtube channel RedLetterMedia watched a video about it once and it was basically some fuzzy interpretation of Revelations plus a lot of wonky numerology. Whereupon you can add up some of the numbers on some barcodes and you'll get 666, which means all barcodes are of the devil.

Plus it's a physical mark involved in commerce, so you're also tripping some of those mark of the beast flags.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Would a barcode tattoo actually work though?

Most people don't understand that standard barcode readers are actually reading the white space, and not the actual black lines, and I'm not really sure if skin is reflective enough as a medium.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Evangelical fear of UPC codes was much more prevalent when they first started appearing in the late 70's/ early 80's, but it still pops up even today. Same with Social Security numbers being assigned to every U.S. citizen in the early 70's.

It all stems from the passage in Revelation about the Number of the Beast®, and the fear of evil one-world government being able to track good, god-fearing Christ-enthusiasts.

I am super busy at work, but I brought a couple of relevant (and hilarious!) books to the office with me, so I'll try take some pictures and post them here as soon as I get a chance.

In the meantime, please see these two Chick tracts for a basic synopsis:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tract #7 - The Beast (1966).

This tract is a fascinating look into Jack Chick's eschatological views and how they changed over time. It was first released in 1966 as a 52-page (3.75" x 5.25") version by Chick's original publisher/ distributor, then reprinted that same year in a 48-page (3.5" x 5") version by Chick Publications. Besides the slight size difference, the original has different artwork on one page (see below). The additional pages consist of a title page, publisher information, and a questionnaire asking if the reader understood the booklet and accepted Christ as their personal savior because of it.

There is also a 40-page (3.5" x 5") version with some pages combined and others deleted entirely. I think it was first released in the 70s, but it kept the 1966 copyright date of the original, probably because it didn't actually add any new material.

The forty page version was revised and re-released in 1981 to highlight Chick's increasing hostility towards Catholicism. In the original, the anti-Christ was portrayed as a man in a black suit. The 1981 version depicts the Pope as the anti-Christ (although the cover still shows him as a man in a black suit). By 1970 or thereabouts, almost every Chick tract was reduced to the standard 24-page 2.75" x 5" size still used today. The Beast is the sole exception. It was published in the larger, longer format until 1988, when it was revised and reformatted into the current version.

Left side: 52-page and 48-page versions from 1966. Right side: 40-page version from 1981; smaller 24-page revision from 1988; recent printing of 1988 version with simplified cover art.

Here is a comparison of the different versions. Hopefully it's readable. Unless otherwise noted, the panels on left hand side of the pictures below are from a decent scan of the 40-page 1966 version that I found online. The smaller panels on the right hand side are the from the current version on the Chick Publications website. (I added the page numbers to the bottom right-hand corner, because they don't always correspond exactly with the order of the older versions.) The blurry, poorly lit, slightly skewed pictures are from the 52-page version, 48-page version, and the anti-Catholic 1981 revision.

The splash-panel on the first two pages of the larger versions is repeated with slight changes to the text later in the tract. The smaller version combines both splash pages to reduce the number of pages.

This was cut from the 1988 version.

The 1988 version uses different quotes from the story of Noah.

The two pages on the left are from the 48-page version. They were combined into one page for the 40-page version, and cut entirely from the 24-page version.

This page was cut from the 40-page and 24-page versions.

These were cut from the 1988 version.

The larger versions repeat the splash page from the beginning except for some changes to the quotations. The 24-page version omits the repeated material, but I included pages 4 and 5 again for comparison.

Reformatted.

This is the one page from the original 52-page version that doesn't appear elsewhere. It's a shame, because the image of Christian drivers being sucked out of their moving cars when the rapture hits is awesome!

That image was replaced by this far more boring picture.

The two panels on the left are from the 48-page version. They were combined into the image on the top right for the 40-page versions, and redrawn for the 24-page version as shown on the bottom right.

Some changes between the larger and smaller formats, but the contempt for non-Protestants remains the same.

Here is the where the Pope becomes the anti-Christ. The 1966 versions use the panel on the left. The 1981 version gives the man in black a papal makeover. The 1988 version on the lower right doubles down on the anti-Catholicism.

The panel on the left shows the anti-Christ in black from the 1966 versions. The panel on the top right shows the Pope in 1981 revision. The 1988 revision on the lower right updates the computers so that they have futuristic blinking lights instead of data tapes.

This was cut from the 40 and 24-page versions. Shame. Check out the anti-Christ's sweet ride!

Reformatted.

This was cut from the 40 and 24-page versions.

This crazy panel is only in the 24-page version. I really need to read Lucifer Dethroned. It sounds wonderful.

The panels on the left are from the 48-page version. They were combined in the 40-page version (top right) and revised in the 24-page version (bottom right).

The panels on the left are from the 48-page version. They were combined in the 40-page version (right), and cut from the 24-page version.

Reformatted.

The panels on the left are from the 48-page version. They were combined in the 40-page version (top right), and revised in the 24-page version (bottom right).

The End.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

They're both pretty unhinged, although I think the apocalyptic craziness is more streamlined in the current version. The 1972 original is pretty text-heavy compared to the newer one.

Here they are side-by-side:

Edit: fixed the repeated part near the exciting conclusion.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Nope, at least that's not how it started way back when.

Convenient illustration -
As illustrated here early barcodes included three 'framing' groups of lines - following the initial 9, between 0 and 6 and after the final 2 in the above image. These were always two thin black lines separated by a thin white line. If you check above the number 6 you'll see the same pattern, therefore these three groups were interpreted as a hidden 666 found in every barcode.
Now that this standard format isn't used I guess they must have come up with an alternative chain of 'logic', (and ignoring the 616 revelation of a few years ago of course).

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
It's the physical representation of the mark of the beast afaik. I don't know if it's more then just urban legend, but hobby lobby does NOT use bar codes at all, all inventory and ordering is done physically and prices are done manually. The owner of hobby lobby is a crazy Evangelical right winger so i actually believe this may be why.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Yossarian posted:

It's the physical representation of the mark of the beast afaik. I don't know if it's more then just urban legend, but hobby lobby does NOT use bar codes at all, all inventory and ordering is done physically and prices are done manually. The owner of hobby lobby is a crazy Evangelical right winger so i actually believe this may be why.

I call bullshit, I'm there a lot, and I've seen them use barcodes

EDIT:

gently caress, I was thinking of Hobby Town

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The OP seems to have a large amount of books about vans...too many if you ask me.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Iron Crowned posted:

I call bullshit, I'm there a lot, and I've seen them use barcodes

EDIT:

gently caress, I was thinking of Hobby Town

Lol no worries

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

The OP seems to have a large amount of books about vans...too many if you ask me.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

OK, I am looking through the books now. Here is what 1978's The Rise of Anti-Christ has to say:

BONUS: Head Transplants!!!

I'll see what Leon Bates' Projection For Survival has to say and post it when I get a chance.

EmptyVessel posted:

Nope, at least that's not how it started way back when.

Convenient illustration -

As illustrated here early barcodes included three 'framing' groups of lines - following the initial 9, between 0 and 6 and after the final 2 in the above image. These were always two thin black lines separated by a thin white line. If you check above the number 6 you'll see the same pattern, therefore these three groups were interpreted as a hidden 666 found in every barcode.
Now that this standard format isn't used I guess they must have come up with an alternative chain of 'logic', (and ignoring the 616 revelation of a few years ago of course).

That is a good explanation, and the fact you were able to use Airtight Willie & Me as an example really drives the point home. Thanks!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

OK, here is what Leon Bates had to say about the terror of UPC codes (circa 1979):

And here are some more pictures from that amazing book:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

What is this? Piano pants???