Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

There are really a ton of great movies all the time now. Honest!

The big budget, heavily promoted stuff is almost all garbage. But there is no shortage of original, interesting, moving, funny stuff every year. A couple hours of research every few months goes a very long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antioch posted:

Trap sprung and all, but man I'd watch an Urza movie so hard. Big climactic battle in the forest at the end, Mishra gets blasted, and you have an inbuilt sequel hook in the Phyrexian stuff. That would be great in the right hands.

MTG is a good IP for a movie, but I read one of the tie-in books once and it was very bad. It seemed more concerned with worming the cards for the set into the story than actually creating a story around the setting and characters. Maybe the books are better now, as this was the Ice Age one and that was like 16 years ago.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Remakes/reboots have nothing to do with Hollywood's lack of creativity and everything to do with retaining property rights.

Here's a weird/funny pic.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Besesoth posted:

There are 139 movies currently scheduled for theatrical release in 2019 (including those already released in Jan/Feb). Of those, nine (9) are remakes, and I'm including as many films as I can justify in that number (for example, I don't know what the animated Addams Family movie will be about, but I'm counting it as a remake). 21 are sequels or part of a shared cinematic universe. Of the rest, 14, as far as I can tell, are based on existing properties.

So 44 out of 139 movies being released this year, or ~31.7%, are either remakes, sequels, or adaptations.95, or ~68.3%, are none of those.

Clearly "the industry as a whole has decided that creativity is dead and focused exclusively on plucking the nostalgia strings".

This, and plenty of examples from 70's, 80's and 90's of movie studios grenading themselves with hugely expensive box office flops, and people keep wondering why the "big money" movies are almost always sequels or remakes.

Unless you are laundering money for Pablo loving Escobar it would be foolish to burn all your resources on vanity/Oscar bait/experimental projects. Its not art for art's sake, its entertainment business. Make money with the cash cows and sometimes try out new ideas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also, heaven forbid people in this hellish timeline enjoy things

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd only put it at 50-50 odds, at best. Wizards of the Coast are actually pretty good at managing the MtG brand, and they're quite probably smart enough to not let the writers resort to that damnable cliche if they have any influence on the production at all.

Lol no they're loving not. They almost destroyed the game over the last few years to the point of needing emergency bans in Standard (their flagship format for competitive play, something really drastic which had previously happened all of 2 or 3 times across 25 years of the game....now they had to do it 3 times inside of a year).

But since then they've been scrambling to sustain the incredible growth the game had from about 2011 through 2015, resulting in some abysmal marketing decisions. Look up the most recent nonsense with their new digital game, Arena, and you'll see nothing but a series of bad decisions, including another emergency ban to avoid major embarrassment over their inability to write competent software in their big first event with this product (they're trying so hard to force "we're an e-sport now!" but have no idea what that means.....to the point where in the same announcement saying that, they also mentioned there would be no video coverage of Grand Prix events until further notice (now renamed "Magic Fest" because why not rebrand something 20+ years old suddenly for no reason)).

Iron Crowned posted:

MTG is a good IP for a movie, but I read one of the tie-in books once and it was very bad. It seemed more concerned with worming the cards for the set into the story than actually creating a story around the setting and characters. Maybe the books are better now, as this was the Ice Age one and that was like 16 years ago.

I've been slowly reading through the whole catalog since my gf has all of them, and it varies. Mirrodin was hands down the worst, with absolutely zero depth to characters, zero plot, etc. Currently on Kamigawa, and it's not amazing, but there are actually some characters, lots of stuff that would translate well to action on screen, and a much better plot than "Memnarch wants to kill everyone and that is bad".

Johnny Aztec posted:

I would hesitantly say that the Brothers War would make a pretty good film.

Exactly this. They really need to stick with the old, old stories and avoid the whole love affair with the Gatewatch characters. Sadly someone else had it right, and they'll stick to Jace as their poster-boy, as that's their target demographic's perfect little Mary Sue character....scrawny nerd who was bullied and thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the room at all times, somehow slept with every other female character.

You know they'd never risk a woman as a protagonist. The winner of the first rebranded Pro Tour event ("Mythic Championship") was Autumn Burchett, who identifies as non-binary. The reaction is exactly what you'd expect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Also, heaven forbid people in this hellish timeline enjoy things

A newspaper cartoon of two guys chained to a wall with flames leaping all around, a devil in the background with a pitchfork. One guy is wearing a Hawaiian shirt, he turns to the other and says "yeah but it's a dry heat!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

A newspaper cartoon of two guys chained to a wall with flames leaping all around, a devil in the background with a pitchfork. One guy is wearing a Hawaiian shirt, he turns to the other and says "yeah but it's a dry heat!"

haha that's a good one!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/CatrionaBlack/status/1102239174709657600

(It's one of those sequined shirts where the sequins flip up or down to reveal different designs)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is it just me or does the one side look more like it says 'SHATE' anyway?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thespaceinvader posted:

Is it just me or does the one side look more like it says 'SHATE' anyway?

your monitor is a piece of poo poo

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Krankenstyle posted:

your monitor is a piece of shite

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

your monitor is a piece of shate

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Krankenstyle posted:

Your monitor lizard is a large lizard in the genus Varanus. It are native to Africa, Asia and Oceania, but are now found also in the Americas as an invasive species. A total of 79 species are currently recognized.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Considering how popular YT D&D groups are that could feasibly work.
If not they could go the lazy route and just copy from the billion+1 adventure books.

Critical Role put up a Kickstarter yesterday for an animated special and have already broken $4.2 million. There's 44 days left to go and the number is still slowly rising, making it one of the most funded entertainment projects in Kickstarter history.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
N

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think that's a stock photo model, but yeah, I don't get it either.

i don't get this post

???????

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's been a ton of films based on toys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_toys

Hasbro have created an entire subsidiary film company to develop their licenced IPs into film projects with varying levels of success so far: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Hasbro_properties
Their list of upcoming/announced films include Monopoly, Magic The Gathering and Play-Doh.

So many direct to video.

The true winner here has to be "Action Man: The Gangrene Code. Direct to video, Mexico only"

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Besesoth posted:

There are 139 movies currently scheduled for theatrical release in 2019 (including those already released in Jan/Feb). Of those, nine (9) are remakes, and I'm including as many films as I can justify in that number (for example, I don't know what the animated Addams Family movie will be about, but I'm counting it as a remake). 21 are sequels or part of a shared cinematic universe. Of the rest, 14, as far as I can tell, are based on existing properties.

So 44 out of 139 movies being released this year, or ~31.7%, are either remakes, sequels, or adaptations.95, or ~68.3%, are none of those.

Clearly "the industry as a whole has decided that creativity is dead and focused exclusively on plucking the nostalgia strings".

Yeah, what's funny about those complaints of originality is that they're always focused on big blockbusters. So either they don't really pay attention to movies coming out and only notice the big franchise movies because they have a fuckton of ads, or they just really want more original popcorn schlock.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the mtg film might get r-rated because of all the bare arses

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hogge Wild posted:

the mtg film might get r-rated because of all the bare arses

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

He was the hero this game needed, and he ate a massive ban for our sins.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is that guy in the background sweating around his neck? Is taht sweat??

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, probably. High summer, un-air-conditioned venue, at a guess.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Why do these nerds subject themselves to these situations. Why would they want to be stuck inside a warehouse full of moist dorks sweating through their clothes and letting their asses hang out

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah, sports suck

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Those venues are usually loving freezing, speaking as someone who's almost never cold.

That said, yeah it's probably sweat anyway, you have neckbeards that never walk more than a mile a month trudging around with 30+ lb bags of cards on their backs. According to my fitbit thing I walk several miles a day at GPs, since you're going to the vendor booths, bathrooms at the end of the hall, where they post the pairing lists, finding your table that changes every round, etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://i.imgur.com/kaPloEs.mp4

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd say there's a pretty high chance that's exactly what they're going to do. The most recent high fantasy live action film was Warcraft which absolutely bombed domestically (but mysteriously performed super well internationally)

Wait, why is this mysterious? It's not a secret at all that major movies are made with foreign movies in mind. If you're a millennial this has been the case nearly your entire adult life. It's not a conspiracy and never had been.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That relationship is not daseined to last.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
:hmmyes: pee is stored in the sink

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/DylanLJMartin/status/1101873832003018757

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Since when is a drain a toilet?! Different pipes go to different places, you’re gonna mix them up!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
You can save even more water if you just pee outside.

I mean, it's legal to let my dog pee outside, why can't I?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

You can save even more water if you just pee outside.

I mean, it's legal to let my dog pee outside, why can't I?

You're my old neighbor, aren't you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

What recommendations will you provide me with this week, oh personalized Spotify Discovery playlist?

I guess it must have noticed I have been listening to Aphex Twin - ""ΔMi−1 = −αΣn=1NDi[n][Σj∈C[i]Fji[n − 1] + Fexti[n−1]]" a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It's not legal to pee outside in america?