Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Bigass Moth posted:

Just once I want someone to say their favorite player was Chris Daugherty or Sandra instead of it always being Parvati or Russell or whoever won the previous season.

galaxy brain play: pick someone that never existed and express shock that no one else remembers them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

I know Australian Survivor does it mostly because they're trying to bleed as many TV hours as they can out of their taping, but the extra time really really works in terms of introducing all the players and sharing their stories. Not sure I agree on needing more challenges though! They're an important part of the game but I feel like we get all we need out of them. Actually I think the bit where Jeff explains how the challenge works is the most skippable part of any episode, it's not like it's hard to follow along with what they're doing out there.

I actually think the international Survivors have made me realize the only good minimum runtime is 44 minutes. The 60-80 minute episodes are great when there happens to be stuff to show (premerge AU2016, postmerge AU2018 and almost all of AU2017), and are real slogs otherwise (postmerge AU2016, premerge AU2018, and ~80% of the NZ episodes). SA 2018 is the only international version I’ve seen to stick to a firm 44 mins and it’s also the only one that kept me glued to the screen every episode even in the slower weeks (of which there were many).

The ideal format is Netflix style where the episodes can vary in length depending on what they have, but that’s pretty unrealistic for CBS unless they start posting extended episodes on CBS All Access or something.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Keep "female" an adjective, not a noun thx

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Bigass Moth posted:

Just once I want someone to say their favorite player was Chris Daugherty or Sandra instead of it always being Parvati or Russell or whoever won the previous season.

If I ever get on survivor ya'll will know it's me because I'll say Christa Hastie

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

The show actually vetoes picks they think are too obscure. You're basically only allowed to pick from either Survivor icons or people who have played very recently.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Which guy said they are like Parvati but the show vetoed it? James from Ghost Island?

I was surprised they let Aubry and David joke around on it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bigass Moth posted:

favorite player is Chris Daugherty

http://www.funny115.com/v1/102.htm
http://www.funny115.com/v1/91.htm
http://funny115.com/v1/77.htm
http://funny115.com/v1/61.htm
http://funny115.com/v1/53.htm
http://funny115.com/v1/29.htm

If I ever go on Survivor I hope I'm half as funny as Chris

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Some day I have to rewatch that season because I'm pretty sure I absolutely hated that guy when I binged through.

edit: Then again the case for him is basically "Chris snapped and became a sociopathic evil serial killer in a great revenge tale" and i generally hate revenge movies. So I don't imagine I'd like him more on a rewatch. But maybe I'd respect him more.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 3, 2019

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

quote:

I love Chris Daugherty. Not in a homosexual way (that's for sure), 
I hate the funny 115

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Lol but the current complex challenges are great, but I miss separate reward challenges

Same. I was actually thinking about rewatching some earlier seasons to see how they compare to the newer ones when I realized we are on season thirty eight. Then I started thinking about how many seasons I hadn't seen and it's only 5: One World, Marquesas, Thailand, Vanuatu, China so I might just go through those.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like the more raw elements to the early season challenges. Like making the Survivors run through a jungle to find objects. Or the real early seasons where the entire challenge was just pushing a giant ball through the woods.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

STAC Goat posted:

Some day I have to rewatch that season because I'm pretty sure I absolutely hated that guy when I binged through.

edit: Then again the case for him is basically "Chris snapped and became a sociopathic evil serial killer in a great revenge tale" and i generally hate revenge movies. So I don't imagine I'd like him more on a rewatch. But maybe I'd respect him more.

He was very entertaining but the Survivor 115 made him out to be the most intelligent ever. He played a bunch of very bad players against each other and convinced Twyla to poo poo talk her friends in the finals which was very good. I really liked his play and I would put him in my top 2-3 winners easily, though old seasons have the benefit of better storytelling editing so you know the people’s personalities a lot better.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Tribe swaps are loving stupid

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Elphiem posted:

:psyduck:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Elphiem posted:

Silas spotted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tribe swaps theoretically bust up dominant, boring tribes like people were expressing about Joe/Aubry's tribe and create more interaction with players which make loyal pagonging majority alliances less likely and more interpersonal reasons for people to flip. It doesn't always work out and I imagine people would be tempted to say the pagonging majority alliances days are over, but that kind of feels to me like "we introduced the Voting Act to stop bad stuff and it worked so now we don't need it".

I'm sure there was a lighter metaphor I could have used but my head hurts and I'm drawing a total blank.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a bit of fun in the RNG of 'which tribe is gonna get the majority on the new tribes?', and having more character interaction is always good, since that's how we got things like the Brochachos.

If they're not doing the swap at 18 into three tribes, it's either gonna be at 16 or 15, I wager. 17's a weird time to do it without exiling someone, and with EoE in play that might just clog up too much airtime.

In unrelated news, there was a buzz over some Survivor sites about the size of Chris' package, which I hadn't even noticed but I went back, rewatched the episode, and dude is seriously packing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

In unrelated news, there was a buzz over some Survivor sites about the size of Chris' package, which I hadn't even noticed but I went back, rewatched the episode, and dude is seriously packing.

They never talk about the comfort items any more

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also, I'm assuming the lackluster spices vs. fishing kit option was blatantly there to encourage Ron to steal the fishing kit if they'd lost, in which case the other tribe would have gotten spices.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't think the other tribe would have gotten anything in that scenario.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, I'm assuming the lackluster spices vs. fishing kit option was blatantly there to encourage Ron to steal the fishing kit if they'd lost, in which case the other tribe would have gotten spices.

I was hoping he was going to steal their flint in the first episode to deny them fire since his tribe already had it.

Tonight is the last chance he has to use it, right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I also didn't like him but haven't rewatched Vanuatu since it aired. As I recall he didn't figure out any of his moves on his own and had to have Twila and others spoonfeed them to him and then bumbled into a win. but i wasn't a very big fan back then and might have overlooked things

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PREEB ON SORB!!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
They already killed their own gimmick

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Bitches about no food
Gets some food
Bitches about not being enough food

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I hope climbing that hill spends more calories than you get from the rice.

Also why not just stay at the top of the hill???

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lone Goat posted:

PREEB ON SORB!!

I appreciate these weekly posts so I know when to stop reading.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Not sure why they bothered bringing back tribal rewards. Feels like a waste of airtime

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

What happened on extinction island?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

They had to burn a thousand calories walking up a mountain to get a cup of rice

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Not sure why they bothered bringing back tribal rewards. Feels like a waste of airtime

Because it's good and fun to watch, presumed gamebot

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Keith went, and the next day they got a map to a drop off spot for daily rice up a mountain.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Wendy gonna have her leg fall off but going for that Sia money

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
She knows she's hosed so she wants to release the chickens :lol:

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm not a fan of how much Joe looks like Hugh Jackman in Pan

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Aubry found an idol :3:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Bloop posted:

Because it's good and fun to watch, presumed gamebot

Watching a bunch of people complete the same general type of obstacle course for the 1000000th time is generally not as entertaining as showcasing the contestants, most of whom remain largely anonymous 2 episodes into the season

Especially considering time is already dedicated to the EDGE OF EXTINCTION

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fuckin lol at Victoria talking mad poo poo about Joe 10 feet away from the him

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Watching a bunch of people complete the same general type of obstacle course for the 1000000th time is generally not as entertaining as showcasing the contestants, most of whom remain largely anonymous 2 episodes into the season

Especially considering time is already dedicated to the EDGE OF EXTINCTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
...does Aubry only have one outfit ever on Survivor?

Also wardog looks close to tears at the end of this challenge