Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tyma posted:

Welsh Rugby Doomsday Timeline

2pm : Redditor posts fanciful story about a WRU meeting in which the long-rumored re-structuring of the Dragons as a team stationed in Colwyn Bay is no long on the agenda. The new plan is to completely disband both The Ospreys and The Scarlets, in order to create funding for an entirely new Colwyn Bay super-team, and another, smaller team located in West Wales.

3pm : Screenshots from Ospreys and Dragons Whats App chat conversations appear online, in which Alun Wyn Jones and Cory Hill relay this information to the other members of their teams, and that there will be a "critical meeting" tomorrow, to nail down the details. Cory Hill suggests that all Ospreys and Scarlets contracts will be terminated within the week, with "a lot of players joining the transfer market on Sunday".

6pm : Ospreys Supporters Club announce that the WRU have confirmed that the "critical meeting" is real, and scheduled for tomorrow.

:ohdear:

For someone from a country more used to surprised celebration after a heartbreaking, "defeat from the jaws of victory" Wales loss than surprised dejection after a heartbreaking, "defeat from the jaws of victory" Wales loss can I get a breakdown of exactly what Wales is doing? If it included maps of Wales so I knew what I was looking at, that'd be nice.
Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Schlesische posted:

can I get a breakdown of exactly what Wales is doing? If it included maps of Wales so I knew what I was looking at, that'd be nice.

Wales is a very rural country, with most of it's population clustered around the industrial areas in the south of the country.

-

The Start Of Regional Rugby

When rugby went professional, the 15 largest clubs in Wales, Scotland and Ireland formed the first professional league. The 8 welsh clubs that entered the league were the ones that had sprung up around the major industrial areas in Wales, which have the highest population, and the most disposable income.

-

The Current Teams

After 2 seasons, the setup was considered unsustainable, as Wales weren't producing enough quality players to field 9 teams, and rather than encourage the signing of foreign players, the Welsh Rugby Union began a regionalisation of the teams, and allowed investment groups to create 4 new "Regional Teams" in Wales' 4 largest cities. The original 8 teams all technically still exist, but the signing of every quality player to the Regional Teams essentially killed any chance of them ever being competitive or profitable again.

The four Regions are :
Scarlets (llanelli)
Ospreys (swansea)
Blues (cardiff)
Dragons (newport)

The Scarlets won the Celtic League the next year, and picked up a second league title in 2017.
The Ospreys have won the league 4 times.
The Blues have placed second twice.
The Dragons still play infront of a shed, and rarely finish in the top 8.

In the mid 2010s, The Welsh Rugby Union made very large investments in The Blues, due to dwindling profits and support. They began moving Welsh derby matches away from Swansea, Llanelli and Newport, to be played in Cardiff. In 2017, The Welsh Rugby Union bought both The Dragons and their home ground.

The WRU also began a system of 'dual contracts' for members of the Wales national team. These players are employed by the WRU to play at their respective clubs, with heavy restrictions on training and playing schedules. .

-

The New Plan

The new planis to try and boost the popularity of rugby in the North of the country, at the cost of disbanding the two most successful and profitable teams, and diverting the majority of their funding to The Blues and the new team in The North (Colwyn Bay). The Dragons, along with a new team in West Wales will operate on a much smaller budget. In a leaked WhatsApp chat, Dragons captain Cory Hill suggested to his team anyone nearing the end of their contract should bail on The Dragons immediately, and move north, for a much higher salary.

While The Ospreys and Scarlets are self-sustaining, and reguarly attract twice the crowds of the other two teams, the only chance of either club surviving is to put forth a proposal for both clubs to a merger, and to try and operate with as little WRU funding as possible. Even if this went through, the WRU technically own the contracts of their star players, which would leave them with a skeleton crew, and two incredibly pissed off sets of supporters.

The only analogy I can make is if you woke up one morning, to the announcement that The Hurricanes and The Crusaders were being shut down, because the NZ Union had a lot of faith in The Blues, and also wanted to form a new team in the middle of nowhere. It kind of makes geographical sense, but is so utterly mad that nobody knows how to take it.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Sounds like the WRU are trying to fix the problem of fans not caring about their fabricated regional teams by blowing up two of the more successful ones and trying again. I think all Pro14 fans would love to see well supported Welsh teams in the league but I'm not sure this is how to do it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

Welsh Rugby Doomsday Timeline

2pm : Redditor posts fanciful story about a WRU meeting in which the long-rumored re-structuring of the Dragons as a team stationed in Colwyn Bay is no long on the agenda. The new plan is to completely disband both The Ospreys and The Scarlets, in order to create funding for an entirely new Colwyn Bay super-team, and another, smaller team located in West Wales.

3pm : Screenshots from Ospreys and Dragons Whats App chat conversations appear online, in which Alun Wyn Jones and Cory Hill relay this information to the other members of their teams, and that there will be a "critical meeting" tomorrow, to nail down the details. Cory Hill suggests that all Ospreys and Scarlets contracts will be terminated within the week, with "a lot of players joining the transfer market on Sunday".

6pm : Ospreys Supporters Club announce that the WRU have confirmed that the "critical meeting" is real, and scheduled for tomorrow.

:ohdear:

WRU - Hmm wales are doing quite well, how can we entirely gently caress that up?

It's the dissolving the Border Reivers all over again only about a million times worse.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
IRB: We're gonna piss on our fans, half the players in the world and tons of established teams.

WRU: Hold my beer...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The WRU are doing a good job of killing off club rugby in Wales. They handled the advent of professionalism terribly and 16 years ago made a series of bad decisions that had lead Welsh rugby to this. Why they didn't try their hardest to get the Welsh teams into the English league (which would create fixtures Welsh fans seem to care about more) I don't know. poor recruitment, play, coaching appointments, marketing and media relations has lead to poor crowds. I have no idea why, after taking over my beloved Dragons, the WRU didn't pop down to New Zealand try and entice one of the better Miter 10 coaches back to Wales and tell them to bring a couple of their better players with him. Instead they seem more willing to invest in a proven failure who then failed. Who wants to see a team that seems destined to lose and play a terrible brand of rugby while they do? Success begins on the pitch.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Wales national team held a press conference to announce the team to play Scotland, didn't receive a single question from the press regarding the National Team, and all ended up pointing fingers at either the Welsh Rugby Union, The Players Union or The Professional Rugby Board. Lots of people in the Wales camp (including Warren Gatland) spoke as if it was a certainty that Ospreys and Scarlets were going to propose a merger to the WRU, in an attempt to create a 4th region, on a reduced operating budget.

The "critical meeting" then began with The Ospreys chairman announcing his immediate resignation, before walking out, so this is going REALLY WELL so far.

:dance:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Rumours are appearing that Ospreys have been approaching a couple of teams about a merger since January and now it's got to the WRU to take over the proceeding.

Statement from Gatland in the press conference

"This hasn’t been driven by the union, it was approached by two regions about a merger because of some of the difficulties we are aware of surrounding the financial pressures.

Looks like someone is telling lies somewhere.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I reckon the WRU just decided that it's absolutely imperative that there should be no possibility of Gatland winning a world Cup and subsequently resigning at any cost.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
And now the Ospreys have just put out a statement saying that:

The Ospreys posted:

The Ospreys are NOT on the verge of merging with the Scarlets.

Like the other M4 regions, the Ospreys were informed by the WRU that their decision was to create a new region in the North and this would necessitate one going in the South.

Beyond this, the regions have been encouraged to enter unilateral discussions to try and self-broker an outcome. Rather than every option being on the table, only one has transpired - which region should go.

Far from being a methodical, consultative process, involving all the game’s stakeholders, looking at the greater good and the long-term benefit to all, the South Wales regions have been forced into a leaderless race for survival, with self-interest as its guiding star.

The Ospreys are not afraid to think the unthinkable. Our region was born out of the previously unimaginable merger of Swansea and Neath and, later, the seamless integration of Bridgend. We remain the only region to have truly embraced, lived and breathed the concept of regional rugby. Our reward and Wales’s reward, has been an unparalleled level of success for our region and an unrivalled contribution to the national team.

We fully recognise the WRU’s argument that the regional game requires further restructuring in order to remain viable and we support this principle.

But, the way this has been approached has led to a fundamental breakdown in the fabric of the game. This must stop now. A new process must be expedited, with respected and competent leadership - professionally outlined and responsibly led - with transparency and genuine consultation as its foundation.

It all asks the age-old question: what the gently caress is going on in South Wales?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Amazing.

WRU: were cutting down a region and adding one in the North.

Clubs: OK. Which one?

WRU: *tosses pointy sharpened stick into crowd* - you sort it out

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/nickwebb2017/status/1102984854965309440
:haw:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
What the actual gently caress is going on.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

No one knows and I mean that literally.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the WRU's management is making the people who run Western Province/Stormers seem competent, and that's something

to wit: WP recently got into a massive legal fight because they didn't read the fine print on a contract to allow a company to install Wi-Fi at Newlands, in essence handing over all advertising rights inside the ground to this firm and turfing out a long-established partner. that's just the start of their problems, which will likely culminate in them leaving/selling Newlands just to stay afloat.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

What the actual gently caress is going on.

This is the standard 10 year Welsh rugby meltdown cycle isn't it? Guaranteed to come about whenever the national side is doing well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If they fully demonise the Ospreys now as being deceitful shitheels they can just drop them directly for "the good of the sport" and not have to bother with any of the complex paperwork.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
What a shitshow, it's so embarassing to watch all these morons

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

World Rugby: Hey, want to see something that is damaging to the game, and will alienate both players and audiences?

Welsh Rugby: Hold my beer.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

One must die :ohdear:

The Scarlets posted:

Firstly, we can confirm the statement issued by the Professional Rugby Board (PRB) on Tuesday afternoon as accurate, as are the comments made by Wales’ national coach that the proposed merger was driven by the regions, in consultation with the PRB.

Heads of terms were agreed and signed by the Ospreys and Scarlets on March 1 on terms we believe our supporters would be happy with. This was to be proposed at a meeting of the PRB on Tuesday afternoon, but we were told at the start of that meeting that the Ospreys had changed their mind.

The merger is off the table.

The WRU must be salivating at the thought of hosting a match in Cardiff, where The Ospreys and The Scarlets play a game of rugby, to decide which of them gets to disbanded.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tyma posted:

The WRU must be salivating at the thought of hosting a match in Cardiff, where The Ospreys and The Scarlets play a game of rugby, to decide which of them gets to disbanded.

I know you're joking but what a match that would be.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Tyma posted:

It'll add an extra bit of tension to this year's Judgement Day, that's for sure

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

Spice it up a bit, one player on each side gets a claw hammer.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Vaders Jester posted:

Spice it up a bit, one player on each side gets a claw hammer.

I thought that's just how Welsh rugby worked

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So what happens when they discover no one in the North of wales gives a gently caress about rugby?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

So what happens when they discover no one in the North of wales gives a gently caress about rugby?

Can't be any worse than the salty fans just refusing to turn up to games for the regions that exist now.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

World Rugby: Hey, want to see something that is damaging to the game, and will alienate both players and audiences?

Welsh Rugby: Hold my beer.

World Rugby : OH WAIT YOU THOUGHT WE WERE DONE!?

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1103310725815115776

All Tier 1 nations must now play against EVERY other Tier 1 team within each calendar year, with the top 2 teams in each hemisphere being forced to play another 2 exhibition matches at the end of November. This is 13 matches.

Autumn and Summer tours are now set in stone by World Rugby, meaning any matches against Barbarians, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, USA, Canada etc. must take place outside of the test window, and therefore won't happen at all.

Broadcast rights for EVERY international match will be sold as a single package, meaning no free-to-air rugby in any country.

2021 will be the final Six Nations and Rugby Championship.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 6, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
What

The

gently caress

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
a) How're the WRU gonna top this

b) There are not enough psyduck emojis to adequately express the :psyduck:

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

I look forward to a number of unions telling this plan to get hosed.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Ospreys will have to merge with The Scarlets, The Dragons, Connacht and Sweden, if they want to have enough players fit enough to still play a domestic season.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tyma posted:

The Ospreys will have to merge with The Scarlets, The Dragons, Connacht and Sweden, if they want to have enough players fit enough to still play a domestic season.

If they can't have any Wales internationals, all their players will be fit...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

World Rugby : OH WAIT YOU THOUGHT WE WERE DONE!?

https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1103310725815115776

All Tier 1 nations must now play against EVERY other Tier 1 team within each calendar year, with the top 2 teams in each hemisphere being forced to play another 2 exhibition matches at the end of November. This is 13 matches.

Autumn and Summer tours are now set in stone by World Rugby, meaning any matches against Barbarians, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, USA, Canada etc. must take place outside of the test window, and therefore won't happen at all.

Broadcast rights for EVERY international match will be sold as a single package, meaning no free-to-air rugby in any country.

2021 will be the final Six Nations and Rugby Championship.

I'm amazed that Brett Gosper was right in saying the leaked plans weren't accurate. This poo poo is worse. Good work, Brett and Gus. Cunts.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is going to be contraversial but I don't hate these plans. European group 1 is effectively the 6 nations with promotion and relegation which is something I wanted anyway. Right now we play a minimum of 8 games a year adding 3 games is not so bad. When we play the games is an issue though with the northern and Southern hemisphere seasons being offset.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yes, it's totally fair and equal that Southern Hemisphere players are expected to scramble all over the globe and travel a disproportionate amount compared to their European counterparts. There is absolutely no possible way this will lead to player burnout and exhaustion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The broadcast rights thing can gently caress right off. I think the tying nations down as to who tours who is a bit poo poo, as is the league itself tbh.

Are they going to dictate where the games happen? Scheduling to avoid home field advantage will be a bastard, even moreso once the arguments start after a side gets relegated because they just happened to get their home games only against the sides that would thrash them anywhere. Will there be 5-6 internationals a year played in Fiji?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I wonder how the Australian broadcasting anti-siphoning laws will work with that plan. OTOH, the ARU don't give a flying gently caress about growing the game by keeping it accessible to the public via free-to-air.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Right now we play a minimum of 8 games a year adding 3 games is not so bad.

Alun Wyn Jones has played in 7 out of the 8 matches Wales have played since the beginning of the Northern Hemisphere season.

He's only played in 8 out of the 19 Ospreys matches this season, because World Rugby require us to release him for every planned international fixture, while Player Welfare rules state that he can only play a certain amount of matches in a season.

If the new plans were currently in effect, The Ospreys would have been able to select their club captain for a grand total of 5 league matches a season.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Tyma posted:

Alun Wyn Jones has played in 7 out of the 8 matches Wales have played since the beginning of the Northern Hemisphere season.

He's only played in 8 out of the 19 Ospreys matches this season, because World Rugby require us to release him for every planned international fixture, while Player Welfare rules state that he can only play a certain amount of matches in a season.

If the new plans were currently in effect, The Ospreys would have been able to select their club captain for a grand total of 5 league matches a season.

It depends when the matches are scheduled really. I think the inter conference matches are a bit pointless but a group of 6 with promotion and demotion? That's a good idea.

Anyway who knows if Ospreys will even be a team next season anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Maybe its time I started following League - at least they don't pretend to be a global sport.