Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yeah, the overall tempo looks fine if you're a high-energy sort of person, you just need to plan the second half as precisely as you've planned the first half and remember to look up actual journey times, because once you get out of tokyo/off the shinkansen the trains can be quite slow and infrequent.

don't forget, hyperdia will give you exact times for any rail trip you want to make, so you can play around with the options and see which areas you need to stay in to be near the right stations. like you can knock a chunk off the time to get to koyasan if you stay near namba station in osaka, which is where the fastest trains to koyasan leave from - but i think it then takes longer to get to kyoto instead. if you like micromanaging your time then it's a great site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Why tf you flying to Osaka? Unless it was incredibly cheap, if you have limited time the shinkansen is a lot more convenient. The flights might seem quicker, but consider it takes about an hour to actually get to the airports from the city centres

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Stringent posted:

Honestly I thought you were leaving a lot of gaps and running a bit of a slow pace. Adding in every recycling shop in Kansai is a good first step, but I still think there's room for more, especially on the Tokyo leg.
Im not going to Tokyo this trip

harperdc posted:

:stare:

I am also a connoisseur of the Off franchise but that...seems quite excessive. Also, it’ll likely take you to some residential-rear end places too.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that's like a multi day project. Which if that's what you want, okay I guess.

Unless google maps is lying to me there is 11 or 12 OFF stores in the Kansai area, but only a couple I can visit in my vicinity: 4 in Osaka 2 of those very close to my hotel there and the other 2 are kinda far off so I didnt add them, 1 in Otsu if I go to the festival there also, and 2 in Kyoto. Although one in Kyoto appears to be multiple OFF stores grouped (maybe same building)? I don't know every recycle shop in Kyoto or Osaka obviously which is why I asked for recommendations, key or special ones people here know of. All in all that doesn't appear to be much.

Have a look at my map and let me know. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_mwUfIsIEBVWUhNiVCD49xdyeCeaOYYC&usp=sharing

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What would you guys suggest I replace some of the activities with? If no Maid Cafe, Golden Gai, Piss Alley, Robot Show what would you recommend?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I met a French guy interning as a cook at Molecular Bar and it sounds like a really quality operation.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blackchamber posted:

Im not going to Tokyo this trip
Sorry, I got y'all's itineraries mixed up.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Gatts posted:

What would you guys suggest I replace some of the activities with? If no Maid Cafe, Golden Gai, Piss Alley, Robot Show what would you recommend?

Asakusa

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

I have assembled a pretty nice itinerary. Will do Tokyo for 3 nights, Osaka-Kyoto for 4 nights. One day from Tokyo will be spent in Mount Fuji and one day from Kyoto will be spent in Nara. Might as well go whole hog

Also I am one who plans everything out even by time/hour per day so lol I guess. I use that as a guideline on which area I need to be in and what’s around than a hard schedule.

Planning out everything is perfectly fine but sorry your planning sucks.

Some of the bars and restaurants are neat.

Make sure you actually have reservations for all of them.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Also don't forget that instead of hanging out in sad tourist traps, local goons are often more than happy to take visitors out.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Blackchamber posted:

Unless google maps is lying to me there is 11 or 12 OFF stores in the Kansai area, but only a couple I can visit in my vicinity: 4 in Osaka 2 of those very close to my hotel there and the other 2 are kinda far off so I didnt add them, 1 in Otsu if I go to the festival there also, and 2 in Kyoto. Although one in Kyoto appears to be multiple OFF stores grouped (maybe same building)? I don't know every recycle shop in Kyoto or Osaka obviously which is why I asked for recommendations, key or special ones people here know of. All in all that doesn't appear to be much.

Have a look at my map and let me know. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_mwUfIsIEBVWUhNiVCD49xdyeCeaOYYC&usp=sharing

Kansai is a huge area. But on your map, you're missing the other bookoff in Namba, Tsuruhashi, Tennoji, by Chishima Park, Kyobashi, Bentencho - and that's just around central Osaka. Did you seriously not find these stores? Or did you just severely misunderstand the word "every" and "all"?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Consider how much you really care about the owl cafe and consider hanging around other parts of Asakusa during that period, though at 10am the area is probably rather dead there’s a lot to see and do there when it’s going a bit after that and you could easily spend a couple hours wandering the area.

Edit: actually not sure how things may be in Asakusa Sunday either, as some stuff may be closed.

Robot show is fine and it’s an interesting show but also nothing really Japanese about it and not something I’d prioritize.

What exactly are you after with piss alley and Golden gai? Mostly people want to check those for the little quirky bars and atmosphere, but honestly it’s literally around 90% tourists now, which isn’t the end of the world but be aware that you’re not getting your unique Japanese adventure. I’d personally suggest walking by there because you should check out Shibuya and kabukicho anyway, but don’t feel the need to linger.

If you want to hit small bars like that for proper bar hopping and drinking I’d reccomend Sangenjaya:
https://travel.navitime.com/en/area/jp/guide/NTJarea0037-en/

It’s got a couple areas that are basically what Golden Gai and piss alley were before that became overrun with tourists. A lot of really nice cool standing bars and small stores in winding alleys. Not sure what it’s like Sunday however. If you wanted to could move that to Monday as well as it’s a straight shot on the train from the whisky library.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Asakusa is fine on Sunday, and also has a street full of little bars not far from the temple.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nothing says getting away from tourists like visiting Asakusa.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

Kansai is a huge area. But on your map, you're missing the other bookoff in Namba, Tsuruhashi, Tennoji, by Chishima Park, Kyobashi, Bentencho - and that's just around central Osaka. Did you seriously not find these stores? Or did you just severely misunderstand the word "every" and "all"?

Since this is now some sort of vocabulary test I will consider my earlier post a reading comprehension test:

Blackchamber posted:

Unless google maps is lying to me there is 11 or 12 OFF stores in the Kansai area, but only a couple I can visit in my vicinity...

'He is using an internet search engine which may not have complete information, and plans are being made to the best of his knowledge given what was provided' would have been most people's take-away. I'm sorry if saying 'all' implied some sort of omniscience on my part.

Heres what Google shows me when searching for both "OFF" and "BOOKOFF"

Obviously theres overlap between both maps, but as I said I am working with what Google maps provided me and I lack any kind of local/insider knowledge of other stores, much less non-OFF stores which was why I was asking for the thread for more info.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also make sure to drink lots of Peach Coke while you’re in Japan. It’s really good and uniquely Japanese.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I notice looking at your itinerary you're already going to be in Asakusa (Senso-ji). I'd advise you to move that to your second day since Asakusa is right next to Akihabara.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
what do you want to get from bookoff/hardoff so bad that you want to visit that many?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Gatts, iunno if this is your cup of tea, but since you like planning and staying busy I'll float the idea. On Monday morning you could head over to Shinjuku, rent bicycles and ride along the Kanda river to Inogashira Park in Kichijoji. It'll be between somewhere between a 60-90 minute ride. The park is cool and the area around the park is nice to wander around in. From there you can take the Inogashira Line to Shibuya or the Chuo Line back to Shinjuku/Tokyo.

The tricky parts are finding bike ports to pick up and drop off at and navigating the route to Inogashira since the bike path drops out in a couple places. If you've got a data connection or offline maps you should be fine.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Sakura Pepsi is out now. It’s pretty bad.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

prompt posted:

Pepsi. It’s pretty bad.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

Gatts, iunno if this is your cup of tea, but since you like planning and staying busy I'll float the idea. On Monday morning you could head over to Shinjuku, rent bicycles and ride along the Kanda river to Inogashira Park in Kichijoji. It'll be between somewhere between a 60-90 minute ride. The park is cool and the area around the park is nice to wander around in. From there you can take the Inogashira Line to Shibuya or the Chuo Line back to Shinjuku/Tokyo.

The tricky parts are finding bike ports to pick up and drop off at and navigating the route to Inogashira since the bike path drops out in a couple places. If you've got a data connection or offline maps you should be fine.

Actually, upon looking into this Suginami-ku still isn't onboard, so it'd have to be a round trip. This link should show all the available ports.

You can read up on the route and some others here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank you guys for the suggestions and feedback!

What I had is what I was concerned with being a bit too touristy so the bike ride and non tourist bar suggestions is great as were the others like what area to be in!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

BB2K posted:

what do you want to get from bookoff/hardoff so bad that you want to visit that many?

Nothing in particular at all really, which I agree is odd given the effort. Its not like I've dedicated a day to these or something since most appear to be along the way/near places I am going anyways. I mean two appear to be merely a street or two away from the place I am staying when I stay in Osaka so how could I not?

If I had a wish list I'd like to find more of those Tatsumi Mook books to add to my collection, since they are out of print. A lot of them are relatively cheap online not including shipping but there are others I've seen going for around 40 bucks a pop on ebay. In Tokyo one of them had a bin of not so great looking condition consoles for cheap and I regret not buying a couple of the gameboy micros to scavenge for parts. Anime and Videogame strategy guides and artbooks. Old LCD handheld games (some jerk wants like $100 for the Bandai Samurai Pizza Cats one but I'm probably going to have to find a retro game store for these things). The hardoff had a ton of cool looking record players and other misc electronics but I didn't have the time then to really check them all out. I'd also be interested in vintage/retro household goods and even dinnerware which I'd happily ship home.

Not an OFF store but there was a place selling loose/opened/used gachapon in sets and individual pieces and I'd love to find one of those again. I have a few cat hats and there were so many I wanted and didn't have luck getting out of the machines.

Oh, going back to the Tatsumi Mook books thing, I have only read stuff about the Showa Era that these books showcase from wikipedia and the like but I love the art from then, and I'd LOVE to find a place that sells retro boardgames from that time. Look at this:

This game, Haunted House by Bandai, has been reissued as recently as last year but the new version ditches all the old art.
and check out this thing:

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 6, 2019

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Gatts posted:

Thank you guys for the suggestions and feedback!

What I had is what I was concerned with being a bit too touristy so the bike ride and non tourist bar suggestions is great as were the others like what area to be in!

Go to Kamiya Bar in Asakusa. Literally the first goddamn bar in Tokyo, smack at the Asakusa intersection but basically no tourists go inside since they don't know about it. Opens at 11:30AM daily, so you can start daydrinking. Closed Tuesdays

http://www.kamiya-bar.com

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

zmcnulty posted:

you can start daydrinking.

Thanks, don’t mind if I do.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also make sure to drink lots of Peach Coke while you’re in Japan. It’s really good and uniquely Japanese.

i had some in hong kong and it's bad

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

Go to Kamiya Bar in Asakusa. Literally the first goddamn bar in Tokyo, smack at the Asakusa intersection but basically no tourists go inside since they don't know about it. Opens at 11:30AM daily, so you can start daydrinking. Closed Tuesdays

http://www.kamiya-bar.com

or go to a cafe called tenkokku and eat hot cakes like that netflix show kantaro

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Blackchamber posted:

Since this is now some sort of vocabulary test I will consider my earlier post a reading comprehension test:

Well, here's the deal. You said there's like a dozen book offs in Kansai. Well, Kansai has several prefectures: Mie, Nara, Wakayama, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, and Shiga. Book Off is ubiquitous in Japan. Saying you're going to visit all of them in Kansai is a ridiculous notion. But even in Osaka and Kyoto, look, there's a lot of loving Book Offs:

And a lot of these are going to be crappy in that they will have nothing even close to what you're looking for.

Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting to visit a Book Off - or even several, if you're looking for something specific. I always visit Book Off and pick up some manga when I go to Japan. But you basically made it sound like you had some crazy infatuation with stores that have "OFF" in the name because you said you wanted to visit them all but gave zero reason.

If you are looking for something specific, there's probably better options than a random used goods store, which largely sells things that you probably don't need to buy in Japan like clothes and plates (regular recycle shop). There's a lot of specialty shops that might better serve you, like Super Potato in Akihabara for vintage video games; I know you're not going to Tokyo - it's just an example.

Here's some real advice: look for BOOKOFF Super Bazaar and visit those - they're more likely to have the variety of things you're looking for. A regular book off will just have loads of manga, light novels, maybe some games/cds/dvds. I mean, if that's what you want then go for it, but otherwise stick to the super bazaars, even if they're a bit out of the way.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 6, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like Book Off and Hard Off!
Each location deserves 2 hours. Give up and choose just 2 stores.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The real place to be is Hobby Off

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The real place to be is Hobby Off

Liquor Off, my man

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

Well, here's the deal. You said there's like a dozen book offs in Kansai. Well, Kansai has several prefectures: Mie, Nara, Wakayama, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, and Shiga. Book Off is ubiquitous in Japan. Saying you're going to visit all of them in Kansai is a ridiculous notion. But even in Osaka and Kyoto, look, there's a lot of loving Book Offs:

And a lot of these are going to be crappy in that they will have nothing even close to what you're looking for.

Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting to visit a Book Off - or even several, if you're looking for something specific. I always visit Book Off and pick up some manga when I go to Japan. But you basically made it sound like you had some crazy infatuation with stores that have "OFF" in the name because you said you wanted to visit them all but gave zero reason.

If you are looking for something specific, there's probably better options than a random used goods store, which largely sells things that you probably don't need to buy in Japan like clothes and plates (regular recycle shop). There's a lot of specialty shops that might better serve you, like Super Potato in Akihabara for vintage video games; I know you're not going to Tokyo - it's just an example.

Here's some real advice: look for BOOKOFF Super Bazaar and visit those - they're more likely to have the variety of things you're looking for. A regular book off will just have loads of manga, light novels, maybe some games/cds/dvds. I mean, if that's what you want then go for it, but otherwise stick to the super bazaars, even if they're a bit out of the way.

Look, as I said all I did was punch in OFF and BOOKOFF into google maps (hell I even showed you what my search came up with) which is less than what you came up with. Cool, you know how to search Japan stuff better than me.

That said your reading comprehension sucks. Lets look what I originally said quoted for convenience shall we?

Blackchamber posted:

One of the things I also did was map out every BOOK OFF and the other OFF stores under their umbrella in Kyoto and Osaka and I plan on hitting them all. If anyone knows of other recycle shops I should be checking out let me know!

totalnewbie posted:

Saying you're going to visit all of them in Kansai is a ridiculous notion. But even in Osaka and Kyoto, look, there's a lot of loving Book Offs:

What I said was I searched Kansai for those stores and that google might be misleading me on how many there are. I didn't say I was going to visit all of Kansai's OFF stores. I said I'd see all of the ones in KYOTO and OSAKA as shown to me by those maps (which having seen the ones you linked wasn't all of them). Hell even before I saw your maps I conceded that I was only going to visit the ones close to where I would be sightseeing anyways.

Lets do the math though, again these things were said based on information I had:

I said 4 in Osaka but only 2 were close to where I would be.

1 in Otsu I said I'd only go to that if I go to their festival.
0/1

I said 2 in Kyoto

So in total I had planned on visiting 4. 5 at most.

Not giving you a reason I wanted to visit them, thats my business. As I said I don't have a specific need to hit them, I want to. I didn't list every thing pinned on my map with an essay why I wanted to go to them but apparently you'll let that slide.

I don't know what you want from me at this point. Do you want me to say google can be wrong? Do you want me to say I don't use google maps the best? Is this you wanting to show me how big Kansai is, cause when I did my search I was much more zoomed out than I was cropping pictures for the thread because again I was talking about limiting myself to Kyoto and Osaka.

You are somehow hung up on the idea that I DID know of all the stores, even after I demonstrated clearly I did not, and made plans to see ALL of them
in the entirety of a region of Japan even when I clearly stated the areas I was limiting myself to.

totalnewbie posted:

Saying you're going to visit all of them in Kansai is a ridiculous notion.
Ignoring what was actually said and clearly seeing the information I was using, you gave me a goal I didn't have based on what you knew I didn't know and I don't see how I couldn't be ridiculous.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Some quality totalnewbieing going on itt.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Let me be the dissenting opinion and say that, as a fan of garish unmitigated hokey trash, I enjoyed the Robot Restaurant and would go back if I have a few hours free.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stringent posted:

This is the most shitposting this thread has seen in years.

In before mlyp.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LyonsLions posted:

This is the most shitposting this thread has seen in years.

In before mlyp.

Nono, that's care posting. poo poo posting would be like this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

Liquor Off, my man

or just Rubber Off

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
or Jack Off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU